Start by marking “Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)

Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,881 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
STORIES BY TODAY’S HOTTEST ANIMATORS

Chris Appelhans• Matthew Armstrong • Neil Babra • Bannister • Chuck BB • Catia Chien • Tony Cliff • Becky Cloonan • Phil Craven • Matthew Forsythe • Alex Fuentes • Michel Gagne • Rodolphe Guenoden • Steve Hamaker • Paul Harmon • Ben Hatke • Azad Injejikian• Kazu Kibuishi • Khang Le • Reagan Lodge • Johane Matte • Bill Plympton • Dave Rom
Published June 27th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published January 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Flight, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight, Vol. 3

Summer
I kind of wish there were a stronger pre-submission story screening process for these books, because they get a little bogged down with endless stories about kids playing, or kids and cute monsters playing, or cute monsters having adventures. The good stories, however, are very good, and the coloring is some of the best I've seen.
Sesana
Dec 15, 2011 Sesana rated it liked it
My enjoyment of the Flight antholigies is purely shallow: they're pretty. The writing varies wildly, as you get in a collection. But it's pretty to look at, and that, I think, is the point.
Blaise Morita
Feb 11, 2016 Blaise Morita rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustration
Twenty-five different graphic artists and storytellers bring their own unique perspective to the collaborative title Flight, Vol. 3. The third installment of the Flight series, this particular volume displays an impressive array of perspectives. Some approach from a more traditional comic background, perforating their tale with familiar though bubbles and aggressively heroic illustrations mimicking the forefathers of Marvel and DC. Others hearken to the Sunday funnies, simplifying their designs ...more
Becky B
As always, story collections are hard to rate overall. I will say that this one is probably the best collection from Kibuishi I've read yet. It felt much more focused on just one target audience with just a couple deviations. For the most part, this one is for the middle-grade/YA crowd, with more than normal for the middle-grade. But to do this justice, here are my individual story ratings.

“Underworld” by Gagné****
This is a wordless tale told through kiddy animation illustrations. A fox follows
Bruce
May 04, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents introducing kids to high-quality comic literature
Another library pick-up. I'm screening these stories before my kids read them, and am 2/3 of the way through with only one found to be inappropriate (though that's in the eye of the beholder... I didn't like the violence implicit in a story which compared two bratty kids playing war in a forest with the real-life consequences of the fantasy-made-real). But there is lots in this book of short stories to savor and enjoy and the art -- like the storytelling -- is generally vivid, intricate, and sty ...more
Keith
Mar 06, 2009 Keith rated it it was ok
Letdown... coming in for a crash landing perhaps. I don't know what happened here. The first volume was exceptional, the second very good, and the third... pretty much forgettable all the way through. There's a good Bill Plympton story (actually my favorite thing of his i've yet seen... his animated stuff tending to drag on and bother too much with weird for weird's sake), and a pretty good fairy tale, but that's about it. Most of the stories seem to wind up going nowhere, and not doing so in an ...more
Rainey
*3.5 Stars*

Some of these stories were a huge hit with me- I'm looking at you, Rodolphe Guenoden- and others flopped, but all in all, I loved this.
Kirstin Morrell
May 03, 2014 Kirstin Morrell rated it it was amazing
It was brilliant, as a collection, and as a graphic novel. The individual short stories ranged from amazing, insightful, and compelling to the just good and entertaining.

There were stories on conformity and society imposing rules on people with their tacit consent, on knowing who you can trust, on being brave even when faced with enormous challenges, on the risks and benefits of adventure, and a number of stories on appearance vs. reality.

Each story aims very high. Some make it, some don't, but
M
Jul 24, 2014 M rated it liked it
The third tome of the Flight series is back, providing an arena for artists and authors to let their imaginations soar. Once again led by Michel Gagne's fox-creature epic, this volume does venture into darker territory than its predecessors. Ben Hatke sends two explorers to the Edge of the World, where they discover the edgekeeper is not what he seems. Phil Craven features a hunting party seeking a form-shifting beast, whose only ally is a young boy hoping to protect it from harm. The flat and c ...more
Becca
The two things that really seem to standout for me in these graphic novel anthologies are that 1) The artwork for pretty much all of the short stories is super, super pretty. Even the cover art is stunning for all of the volumes, particularly this one. It's my favourite of all of them, I think. And 2) Most of the stories are super weird and/or confusing. Quite a few of them are rather hard to follow and have unsatisfying endings. I noticed that especially in this volume, which made me like it a ...more
Adam
My favorite of the series so far. The intended audience seemed to have skewed younger. Volumes 1 and 2 were clearly adult/young adult, though there were always a few middle grade-appropriate stories. This one has many middle grade, though a few others would make me hesitant to have it in my classroom. Which is too bad, because the MG stories are pretty fun.
J.
Jun 02, 2011 J. rated it it was amazing
Of a very good series, this one is the best yet. This one focuses on longer stories, and doesn't have any really wasted space. None of the stories are lame, even if they weren't particularly a style I enjoy. The best: Lemming City, The Rescue, and Snow Cap. The inclusion of the bizarre One Little Miracle for a Hungry Swarm was also a nice touch.
Rebecca Ann
Jan 16, 2013 Rebecca Ann rated it it was amazing
I love these anthologies! They have such beautiful artwork and simple but powerful stories. Definitely my favorite "series" even though they aren't connected in any kind of chronological way. I tend to like the ornate, cartoon style stories better than the more realistic ones. This was my favorite volume yet!
Mitchell Hills
This book is a graphic novel split into 26 short stories. Each story is illustrated differently and written by different authors. Each new story is unique and fresh. The book comes off as childish,,but it is also quite thought-provoking. This book is a quick read and easy to get lost in.
Tori
Apr 09, 2008 Tori rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is a beautiful collection of short pieces from various artists. This book fascinated and enchanted me with its many fables, and Kazu Kibuishi has done an amazing job as editor. I'll definitely be looking into the previous and following volumes.
Katie
Jan 12, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
These really are filled with some excellent little stories. Vol 3 definitely delivers & I've started to recognize the repeat authors/illustrators. There was specifically one story-line that had been continued from vol 1 & 2 that I was hoping to see an other episode of, but it was missing. There were a couple of sad ones, but fewer of the "strange" stories--the type I envision would leave more mainstream readers questioning why they'd picked up the book. Definitely approachable for the ne ...more
Deborah
Apr 01, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustration as always. This one had more darker stories that were sort of unsettling. Overall, still a great volume!
Michael Haydel
Apr 05, 2009 Michael Haydel rated it it was amazing
The Flight series of graphic novels is by far one of my most favorite around.

A collection of short stores, all written and inked by up and coming (as well as some well established) artists, that all somehow tie into the theme of "flight".
Karissa
May 19, 2016 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful collection of graphic novel short stories. I pretty much liked, if not loved, all of the stories in here. I thought this was the best volume of Flight yet. I continue to be very impressed with the variety and quality of the Flight graphic novel collections. I am trying to think of favorites, but really I liked all the stories in here. Jellaby and Rex both make a return and continue to be stories I really love.

Overall this was fantastic collection of sci-fi/fantasy graphic n
Levi Amichai
Jan 17, 2011 Levi Amichai rated it really liked it
I'd give it 3.5 if I could. Far from life-changing, but quite enjoyable. I think my favorite might have been the one about the little girl and the fairy. (And now I can't remember what it was called, dagnabbit!)
Emkoshka
Jan 25, 2014 Emkoshka rated it liked it
Shelves: illustrated, 2014
Hmmm. I was excited to read another volume of Flight, but I was a bit disappointed. The stories had a kind of sameness to them (animals on quests, monsters, death) and the theme of flight wasn't quite as well executed as in the first volume. The quality was patchy too, with some stories clearly dashed off quickly and roughly. I was also disappointed that more female artists weren't featured; there are plenty out there: Raina Telgemeier, Hope Larson, Vera Brosgol. Enough with the sausage fest! I ...more
Michael
Oct 11, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Wait, someone made a collection of the best little graphic short stories they could find and put them all together? Why wasn't I informed of this earlier?!? Honestly, I only have myself to blame. And I don't have any information on how this collection was compiled - maybe that is explained in Volume 1? - because it just starts in on the stories and doesn't stop until the final 3 pages that review the contributors.

I just discovered this Flight series with Volume 3, which means I can't compare thi
J.T.
Apr 06, 2015 J.T. rated it it was amazing
Flight Vol. 3 contains over two dozen stories from some of the most talented artists/cartoonists and writers around today. Even if many of these people are not household names it in no way diminishes their remarkable ability to tell a story, quite often with limited or no dialog at all. The depth of diversity and power of creativity in these 352 pages is impressive even to a long time comic fan like myself.

Some of the Stories:
The book begins with Michel Gagne's "Underworld" as a tiny little fox
Ash
Jan 04, 2012 Ash rated it liked it
Tung
Jan 06, 2010 Tung rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Image Comics is one of the largest comic book publishers in the world. They made moves into online comics far ahead of the establishment publishers DC and Marvel. Image supports a legion of young professional and non-professional cartoonists. In 2004, they published their first anthology of these cartoonists’ creative efforts (Flight, Volume One). Volume Three continue the showcasing of young graphic talent. The tales told in these works span the entire spectrum of contemporary comic stylings fr ...more
Carrie
Apr 20, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a beautiful collection of wonderful short stories in graphic form. Most of them have to do with flight in some way.
All of them were good. Some were better than others. There were funny stories, poignant ones, engaging ones... there were one or two that were just weird, in my opinion, and I didn't quite get them. (They were still pretty good, though.)
The art is fantastic--the range of styles, colors, moods, and so on.

I think my favorite stories were the ones without words. They seem
Steve Garvin
Jan 05, 2016 Steve Garvin rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really enjoyed the graphic short stories Old Oak Trees by Tony Cliff, The Edge by Ben Hatke, The Lumbering Beast by Joey Weiser, The Cloud by Billy Plympton (especially liked this one both the story and the illustrations), illustrations in Tea by Reagan Lodge.

A great variety of story (some without text) and illustration styles.
Kate
Great illustrations, and a mostly good collection of works from assorted graphic novelists. A number of them would appeal to young children. However, several others are decidedly not kid-friendly... unless your kids are really into death. If that's the case, then: uh, this'll be just the thing I guess.
Tyler
May 29, 2012 Tyler added it
Iron Gate: good story about two brothers in war time , they both die by children, ironically in the same spot they used to shot things.

Message in a bottle: about a woman on a subway and a black man steriotype looks as if he is robbing her but instead puts a smiley face button.

Conquest: about a dying viking after a battle thinking and looking about his surroundings.

Volume 4:

...and hope for the best: about a couple at the beach thinking about kids and parenting.

The Blue Guitar: About a boy living
Lupe Dominguez
Jul 08, 2015 Lupe Dominguez rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
So far, I think this was my favorite. Lots of humorous ones, mixed nicely with throught provoking and sometimes sad and emotionally provoking stories. I think it was balanced very well. I also like that there are a few stories that are actually continuations throughout the series. Kind of gives you something to look forward to in the next anthology.
  • Koko Be Good
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • The Saga of Rex
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Creature Tech
  • Inverloch Vol 1
  • There Are No Stars in Brooklyn (Octopus Pie)
  • Finder Library Volume 1
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • Ichiro
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • Okko: The Cycle of Water (Okko, #1)
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more
More about Kazu Kibuishi...

Flight (8 books)
  • Flight, Vol. 1 (Flight, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 2  (Flight, #2)
  • Flight, Vol. 4 (Flight, #4)
  • Flight, Vol. 5 (Flight, #5)
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)