Start by marking “Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)

Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight #3)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,532 ratings  ·  95 reviews
STORIES BY TODAY’S HOTTEST ANIMATORS

Chris Appelhans• Matthew Armstrong • Neil Babra • Bannister • Chuck BB • Catia Chien • Tony Cliff • Becky Cloonan • Phil Craven • Matthew Forsythe • Alex Fuentes • Michel Gagne • Rodolphe Guenoden • Steve Hamaker • Paul Harmon • Ben Hatke • Azad Injejikian• Kazu Kibuishi • Khang Le • Reagan Lodge • Johane Matte • Bill Plympton • Dave Rom
Published June 27th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published January 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Flight, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight, Vol. 3

Summer
I kind of wish there were a stronger pre-submission story screening process for these books, because they get a little bogged down with endless stories about kids playing, or kids and cute monsters playing, or cute monsters having adventures. The good stories, however, are very good, and the coloring is some of the best I've seen.
Sesana
My enjoyment of the Flight antholigies is purely shallow: they're pretty. The writing varies wildly, as you get in a collection. But it's pretty to look at, and that, I think, is the point.
Bruce
May 04, 2014 Bruce rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents introducing kids to high-quality comic literature
Another library pick-up. I'm screening these stories before my kids read them, and am 2/3 of the way through with only one found to be inappropriate (though that's in the eye of the beholder... I didn't like the violence implicit in a story which compared two bratty kids playing war in a forest with the real-life consequences of the fantasy-made-real). But there is lots in this book of short stories to savor and enjoy and the art -- like the storytelling -- is generally vivid, intricate, and sty ...more
Keith
Letdown... coming in for a crash landing perhaps. I don't know what happened here. The first volume was exceptional, the second very good, and the third... pretty much forgettable all the way through. There's a good Bill Plympton story (actually my favorite thing of his i've yet seen... his animated stuff tending to drag on and bother too much with weird for weird's sake), and a pretty good fairy tale, but that's about it. Most of the stories seem to wind up going nowhere, and not doing so in an ...more
Kirstin Morrell
It was brilliant, as a collection, and as a graphic novel. The individual short stories ranged from amazing, insightful, and compelling to the just good and entertaining.

There were stories on conformity and society imposing rules on people with their tacit consent, on knowing who you can trust, on being brave even when faced with enormous challenges, on the risks and benefits of adventure, and a number of stories on appearance vs. reality.

Each story aims very high. Some make it, some don't, but
Becky B
As always, story collections are hard to rate overall. I will say that this one is probably the best collection from Kibuishi I've read yet. It felt much more focused on just one target audience with just a couple deviations. For the most part, this one is for the middle-grade/YA crowd, with more than normal for the middle-grade. But to do this justice, here are my individual story ratings.

“Underworld” by Gagné****
This is a wordless tale told through kiddy animation illustrations. A fox follows
M
The third tome of the Flight series is back, providing an arena for artists and authors to let their imaginations soar. Once again led by Michel Gagne's fox-creature epic, this volume does venture into darker territory than its predecessors. Ben Hatke sends two explorers to the Edge of the World, where they discover the edgekeeper is not what he seems. Phil Craven features a hunting party seeking a form-shifting beast, whose only ally is a young boy hoping to protect it from harm. The flat and c ...more
Adam
My favorite of the series so far. The intended audience seemed to have skewed younger. Volumes 1 and 2 were clearly adult/young adult, though there were always a few middle grade-appropriate stories. This one has many middle grade, though a few others would make me hesitant to have it in my classroom. Which is too bad, because the MG stories are pretty fun.
J.
Of a very good series, this one is the best yet. This one focuses on longer stories, and doesn't have any really wasted space. None of the stories are lame, even if they weren't particularly a style I enjoy. The best: Lemming City, The Rescue, and Snow Cap. The inclusion of the bizarre One Little Miracle for a Hungry Swarm was also a nice touch.
Rebecca Ann
I love these anthologies! They have such beautiful artwork and simple but powerful stories. Definitely my favorite "series" even though they aren't connected in any kind of chronological way. I tend to like the ornate, cartoon style stories better than the more realistic ones. This was my favorite volume yet!
Tori
This graphic novel is a beautiful collection of short pieces from various artists. This book fascinated and enchanted me with its many fables, and Kazu Kibuishi has done an amazing job as editor. I'll definitely be looking into the previous and following volumes.
Deborah
Beautiful illustration as always. This one had more darker stories that were sort of unsettling. Overall, still a great volume!
Michael Haydel
The Flight series of graphic novels is by far one of my most favorite around.

A collection of short stores, all written and inked by up and coming (as well as some well established) artists, that all somehow tie into the theme of "flight".
Levi
I'd give it 3.5 if I could. Far from life-changing, but quite enjoyable. I think my favorite might have been the one about the little girl and the fairy. (And now I can't remember what it was called, dagnabbit!)
Emkoshka
Hmmm. I was excited to read another volume of Flight, but I was a bit disappointed. The stories had a kind of sameness to them (animals on quests, monsters, death) and the theme of flight wasn't quite as well executed as in the first volume. The quality was patchy too, with some stories clearly dashed off quickly and roughly. I was also disappointed that more female artists weren't featured; there are plenty out there: Raina Telgemeier, Hope Larson, Vera Brosgol. Enough with the sausage fest! I ...more
Ayashe
Tung
Image Comics is one of the largest comic book publishers in the world. They made moves into online comics far ahead of the establishment publishers DC and Marvel. Image supports a legion of young professional and non-professional cartoonists. In 2004, they published their first anthology of these cartoonists’ creative efforts (Flight, Volume One). Volume Three continue the showcasing of young graphic talent. The tales told in these works span the entire spectrum of contemporary comic stylings fr ...more
Carrie
This book is a beautiful collection of wonderful short stories in graphic form. Most of them have to do with flight in some way.
All of them were good. Some were better than others. There were funny stories, poignant ones, engaging ones... there were one or two that were just weird, in my opinion, and I didn't quite get them. (They were still pretty good, though.)
The art is fantastic--the range of styles, colors, moods, and so on.

I think my favorite stories were the ones without words. They seem
Katie
Great illustrations, and a mostly good collection of works from assorted graphic novelists. A number of them would appeal to young children. However, several others are decidedly not kid-friendly... unless your kids are really into death. If that's the case, then: uh, this'll be just the thing I guess.
Tyler
May 29, 2012 Tyler added it
Iron Gate: good story about two brothers in war time , they both die by children, ironically in the same spot they used to shot things.

Message in a bottle: about a woman on a subway and a black man steriotype looks as if he is robbing her but instead puts a smiley face button.

Conquest: about a dying viking after a battle thinking and looking about his surroundings.

Volume 4:

...and hope for the best: about a couple at the beach thinking about kids and parenting.

The Blue Guitar: About a boy living
Tim Canny
Bought this mostly for the Ben Hatke story The Edge of the World which I found enjoyable both to look at and to read. Ben has a very laid back style both to his art and to his story telling that veils the deeper meanings in the story until you are too far in to turn back and in fact don't want to turn back.

The other stories are a mixed bag. The styles are diverse so you're bound to find something you like to look at but at the same time some you don't. The story and writing quality is also diver
Marco
May 26, 2008 Marco rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like beautiful things and storytelling and are interesting.
Recommended to Marco by: People with better taste than me, usually. And Becky Cloonan.
This is an amazingly fun and beautifully crafted book of short stories in a comic narrative, and I've only read this volume and skimmed the previous volume, but like a previous review very accurately said, there's a little too much dealing with cute kids playing, cute monsters playing, or cute monsters playing with cute kids and all of it being very, very cute. That said, the cuteness is wonderfully drawn and told, and the colors are bright and vibrant. An excellent chunk of storytelling, ideal ...more
Kate
I didn't like each individual story in this collection as much as I did in the first two, but still beautiful artwork and some very powerful stories.
Amelia
I love this series. I love the collection of different artists and stories. It's like a treasure box.
E.C.R.
There is no doubt that all the contributors can illustrate a story. Unfortunately, few can actually write one that isn't either trite or painfully obvious. The two best are "So Far, So Close" by Bannister and "One Little Miracle for a Hungry Swarm" by by Alex Fuentes. Both of these are very well conceived and well worth a read. Fuentes' work is visually stunning and the world completely unique. Much of the rest is utter junk and the editor, who unfortunately contributes a turd of his own, should ...more
Jason
Kazu really upped the ante with the third installment of FLIGHT, the first one to be published with Random House. The majority of stories in this volume are phenomenal and everyone of them is gorgeous - for the first time FLIGHT is a great read AND a great book to look at.

And I hate to signal out a single story but if you're in the bookstore and debating the merits of this volume, turn to Azad's "Polaris" and give it a read. You'll buy it.
John
About the best one yet. I thought Babra's contribution was the only real dud, and for the rest:

A-List ("Wowser!"): Gagne, Cliff, Fuentes

B-List (Well above average, with some flashes of brilliance): Hatke, Sechrist, Matte, Soo, Craven, Kabuishi (disturbing!), Guenoden, Bannister, Lodge, Harmon, Hamaker, Armstrong

C-List ("really pretty good"): Sanchez, Plympton, Tanaka, Injejikian, Forstythe, Chuck BB, Cloonan, Roman, Le.
Patrick
I didn't like this as much as Volume 4, which was a bit more whimsical and playful, but this series consistently displays some of the best art and storytelling I've ever seen. Like, to the point where I go to the artist's websites to see if I can buy prints. Anyone's welcome to borrow my copy if they'd like, but be warned that I'll probably pester you within a week or two to give it back.
Noura
My favorite thing about this is the art. There was some gorgeously illustrated panels, the stories however were very average with some gems every now and then.
Ian
Most of it's pretty, very little of it is well-written.
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Koko Be Good
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • The Saga of Rex
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Creature Tech
  • RASL, Vol. 1: The Drift (RASL, #1)
  • Inverloch Volume 1
  • Broxo
  • Okko: The Cycle of Water (Okko, #1)
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 1: The Dark
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more
More about Kazu Kibuishi...

Flight (8 books)
  • Flight, Vol. 1 (Flight, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 2  (Flight, #2)
  • Flight, Vol. 4 (Flight, #4)
  • Flight, Vol. 5 (Flight, #5)
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3) Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council (Amulet, #4) Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)