Start by marking “Daimones (Daimones Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Daimones (Daimones Trilogy #1)

Daimones (Daimones Trilogy #1)

The death and re-birth of the human race.

Nothing could have prepared them for the last day. Explore the future of humanity in Massimo Marino's sci-fi debut, Daimones, an apocalyptic tale that feels like it could happen tomorrow. You may never sleep through a windstorm again.

Death swept away the lives of billions, but spared Dan Amenta and his family, leading them to an unc
Kindle Edition, Booktrope
Published July 30th 2015 (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Daimones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daimones

Rose
This was a really good story - well written, well edited, and different from other books I have read - not to say it was totally original, but from my point of reference I have not read one similar.

The flow of this book was different than I am used to. Generally, they start slow and build up to the climax. I found myself totally interested in this one from the start, but about a third of the way it started to get a bit dull and stayed that way until the last quarter, then got really exciting.

Ul
Natasha Slight
Oct 07, 2012 Natasha Slight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently, I have had the immense pleasure of reading Daimones, by Massimo Marino. We begin with excerpts of real news articles about the death of thousands of fishes and birds. For those of you who keep up with current events, you will have noticed that the internet has been peppered these past few years with such articles.

Our main character Dan is a loving family man who does the daily drone of going to work. What I really enjoyed at the beginning of the book is the description of the work envi
Richard Bunning
Jan 19, 2013 Richard Bunning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book. Some parts of it held my attention like a vice. I can still hear the roar of roller blades, the shatter of glass, the cawing of circling crows.
Some passages needed a touch more editing. However, the little stutters in the flow, the very occasional clumsy phrase, certainly didn't spoil the book. I guess it might if you happen to be the sort of grammarian that suffers pain from every linguistic deviation, but then you must often be short of reading.
I had the constant nag
Randy
Jul 12, 2014 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've liked post-holocaust tales going all the way back to the many series of the seventies. Some of the more recent books in this genre haven't been as enjoyable. This book, first of a trilogy, changed all that.

A slight twist has our hero Dan taking his daughter to school one early morning to find dead all over the highway, vehicles crashed, no help anywhere. He learns that most of the world, at least that in and around their home in rural France near the Swiss border, dead, apparently at the sa
Susan Keefe
Jul 28, 2014 Susan Keefe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting story which I thoroughly enjoyed listening to. It is well thought out and a refreshing change from the usual post-apocalyptic zombie novel.

If you woke up and discovered everyone outside your house was dead, what would YOU do?

Well Dan and his wife Mary have to not only decide what to do, but also how to shield and protect their daughter Annah from the realities which now face them.

Thoughtfully written and logical, the decisions, and how they react to each experience ma
Joy Fanning
Jul 25, 2014 Joy Fanning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

I flew through this book! The action started very quickly and from that point on things progressed nicely. I liked the moral dilemmas Dan had to go through and when the reason for all the destruction is given, it is quite interesting indeed!

As a huge fan of science fiction I feel this book is a must read for all who claim to be fans of that genre. It has a great plot and premise that push the story in ways that just take a normal
Angela
Oct 29, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really great with an exceptional ending. I am very excited to read the sequel. A new twist on apocalyptic futures and the strength and healing of the human race.
Masquerade Crew
REVIEWER: PEN

4.0 ON THE MASQ SCALE

How would you feel if you went to sleep one night then awoke to discover you and your family were the only survivors in a now-silent world?

That's exactly what happens to Dan, his wife, Mary and their daughter, Annah.

They live in Switzerland but quickly realize that whatever happened struck globally: via the Internet they discover no one else is alive as far as they can tell.

What follows after this initial discovery is the kicking-in of survival instincts: gather
Jean Brandenburg
The beginning of this was a bit boring, but then it got really good! I love a good "stranded on a desert island" story, and this was sort of that, except everyone on earth is dead. Well almost everyone. There was an interlude towards the end I didn't think was necessary, and the explanation of what happened was pretty dry as well, though well thought out. So I guess I really liked about 90% of the book.
Raymond Bolton
Feb 16, 2014 Raymond Bolton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say that Daimones is an exceptional work, is an understatement. To say it is unusual, even more so. While it lacks the action most science fiction thrives on, Massimo Marino maintains tension almost from the story’s outset and doesn’t let it drop until the story’s unexpected conclusion. With a clarity of language and style few writers achieve, his elegantly painted scenes transport the reader straight to Geneva where, after a windstorm throws the protagonist out of his everyday existence into ...more
Daniela Palazzotto
Daimones was a pleasant surprise. English is not my language but reading the book by Massimo Marino was simple and addictive. From the very beginning, and until the end, the rhythm is tight, and the writing evocative. The plot has a strong American footprint: I have readily associated "Daimones" with Stephen King, for the strength of the characters, and Cormac McCarthy (The Road), for the suggestive places descriptions and the post-apocalyptic scenarios. I liked better the descriptions than the ...more
Larry B Gray
Nov 30, 2012 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daimones by Massimo Marino is a post-apocalyptic book with a slightly different take on the storyline. It was a great read and I found it hard to put down once I started reading the book.

The author is an excellent story teller, weaving a tail of survival which was well thought-out and developed. The story was deep but it was also easy to follow. I often found myself pondering what he said and thinking wow.

I really enjoyed the characters. They were very believable and easy to relate to. Massimo M
Jason
Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this ebook.

I found that I really enjoyed this story. It was a lot of fun to read and I kept looking forward to times that I could sit down and continue on. For starters the storytelling is superb. There was just enough back-story to help me understand the protagonist before launching in to some pretty serious action. I loved the apocalyptic moment itself because I continually wondered what actually happened. I wanted to know more! This kept me on the e
Crissy Stanley
Jan 07, 2013 Crissy Stanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalypse
I was really blown away by this book. I really liked it a lot. First let me say that I don't give drawn out technical reviews about the protagonist and antagonist etc etc...blab blab. I don't like reading them and wont write one. I want to know if a book was enjoyed by someone with similar tastes as my own. I have to say that if you liake post apocalyptic stories you will love this book. The first couple chapters were a little rough...but it quickly picked up and was smooth sailing from then ...more
Kristy Centeno
Jan 29, 2013 Kristy Centeno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all let me just say that the main reason why I enjoyed this book was because it wasn’t the overly done, end of the world novel we’re probably so tired of seeing or reading about. Don’t get me wrong, I love zombies just as much as the next gal, but honestly, everyone’s done it already. This story is original and different, which was incredibly refreshing.

As I read, there were times when I began to envision myself in the protagonist shoes and let’s just say it wasn’t very pleasant. I don’
FS Meurinne
Jun 08, 2014 FS Meurinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, arc
"ARC received for honest review"

What an interesting start of a new trilogy. This is the story of Dan, his wife Mary and Annah their daughter, and how they life where completely changed overnight. This is novel about the apocalypse, how a family finds out that everything they knew has changed forever.

I found it quite interesting, as it’s not the regular story, yes it’s about the apocalypse, how they need to survive and adapt to their new life. The writing is enjoyable and in cases it had a bit of
Jennifer Blake
Sep 29, 2012 Jennifer Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this post apocalyptic story for the thinking person, Marino explores a myriad of moral and emotional issues as well as the mechanics of everyday survival. The timeline is natural, unforced and the European setting adds a fresh perspective. The exploration of human relationships and their importance, of, personalities and memories, provide real heart for the tale. Though sci-fi is not my usual genre, I enjoyed Daimones, and look forward to the next two books in this intriguing trilogy.
Sunni Morris
Oct 01, 2012 Sunni Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if You Woke One Day to find your life had Completely Changed?

That’s exactly what happens to Dan, his wife Mary, and their daughter Annah, in this debut novel by Massimo Marino. This book gives the reader a different view of the apocalypse.

Dan and his family had the almost-perfect life in the French countryside until a mysterious windstorm in February. Nobody realized that anything unusual had happened until it was time to drive Annah to school. Vehicles of every type littered t
Rabid Readers Reviews

Daimones is a polarizing novel. I believe that though I neither loved Daimones nor hated it, the ends of the spectrum will be the reality of other readers. Daimones is a reflective novel. Set in a post-apocalyptic world it is rife with symbolism. Marino and Stroud set a tone of an event that could really happen prefaced with real news stories. Could Dan have stopped the oncoming apocalypse if only he had given his attention to the world around him and not to the co-worker who was kissing tushie?
K. Fritz
Feb 10, 2014 K. Fritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a slow pacing that took me a bit to get used to, however I soon realized I was experiencing the slow progress from bewilderment to preparation and finally acceptance of the new world that Dan has found himself in. Unlike so many other apocalypse stories, this one is not populated with the monsters (zombies, vampires, etc.) we all come to expect. Yes, these can be fun to read but also rather predictable. Marino's story is just the opposite. I was thoroughly immersed in Dan's world, ...more
Jill
Imagine waking up to find you are the only family left on earth? That is the opening premise of Daimones. Dan, Mary and Annah awaken one morning, go about their morning routines and discover that everyone is dead on the way to school. Deeply shocked and full of despair, Dan and his family learn how to survive after a great, if unknown, tragedy has befallen the human race. This story follows Dan, and his desire to protect and care for his family, survive, seek out other survivors and discover ...more
Jeannie Walker
Jul 13, 2014 Jeannie Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all have said or thought ‘What if?” at one time in our lives.
Why did the strange death of birds and fish cause alarm among naturalists and environmentalists in all nations?
Birds and fish die every day, don’t they?
What would you do if you were taking your child to school one morning to find death everywhere with automobiles crashed all over the place? Where are all the people that should be alive here and around the world?
I liked that it was in the firs-person narrative. I must say this is a
Liz Barnsley
Jan 04, 2014 Liz Barnsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the author for the review copy.

Dan Amenta woke up one morning to discover the world had changed…the Apocalypse had arrived.

Death, destruction, and disaster were wreaking havoc across the globe. Yet Dan and his family remained untouched and he sensed some sort of supernatural power had left them the only three people alive on Earth. They were not.

Post Apocalyptic novels are my favourite kind and this one was in the way of being slightly different to the norm. The end comes quietly an
Lalo Lafleur
Feb 13, 2013 Lalo Lafleur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daimones by Massimo Marino

This story offers a unique perspective on how one family handles the end of the world as they know it.

Instead of a world-wide sweeping account of what happens, this story centers on one family. They are going about their daily lives when overnight, everything changes. I got involved in these characters. I felt their angst. I was invested in their daily lives. Then suddenly, the world changed.

I was with them as they accepted their new reality. I was with them when they
Dixiane Hallaj
Sep 30, 2013 Dixiane Hallaj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What if your family woke one morning and everyone else was gone?

Daimones is an unusual post-apocalyptic novel in that even the apocalypse occurs quietly. It is a book of reasonable believable reactions in the face of an unreasonable reality. Dan and his wife and child appear to be the only humans left alive. They prepare for the inevitable degradation of resources and search for other survivors.
The author immerses the reader in the thoughts of an intelligent, well-educated person facing the real
James A.
Nov 11, 2012 James A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What A Jewel!

This is quite simply a brilliant sci-fi novel and story.

It is a post-apocalyptic vision that is stunning in its breadth and complexity. It easily rivals the power of Stephen King's THE STAND and Neville Shute's ON THE BEACH.

Animals are suddenly and mysteriously dying by the thousands and soon the people follow. Only Dan Amenta and his wife and daughter seem to have survived. They find themselves alone on the planet in Switzerland and begin the search for other survivors.

Massimo Mari
Leighton
Dec 30, 2012 Leighton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, having been to Geneva many times it was easy to imagine the setting. A well rounded story that pulled me in early on and resulted in me reading it quickly in a couple of sessions ( I also had one of those stay up too late sessions to finish the last few chapters). Great effort, oh and it was free!

How I review...
1 star - binned it before half way, please don't write anymore!!!
2 stars - finally binned it after really trying, I mean really trying and I hate to not fi
Ida Jansson
Nov 19, 2012 Ida Jansson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing-reads
Daimones is a beautiful book about hope and despair in a world that is changed forever. The story feels very real and captures the reader from the first chapter. It is not difficult to put yourself in the main characters shoes, even when his world is turned upside down. You can truly feel his pain and hope. For me, this story was very capturing (I actually dreamed I was in the story myself two nights in a row). I can`t wait to read the next book in the trilogy to find out what happens with Dan ...more
Amalie Jahn
Jul 25, 2014 Amalie Jahn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just an apocalyptic tale, Diamones is a superbly crafted novel which explores the importance of relationships, especially with regard to the moral and ethical choices we make. Reading Dan's story reminded me of the truth of what it means to be human. I felt what he felt and struggled as he struggled. Amazing character development. Bravo to Marino for crafting such a fantastic read. Highly recommend.
Joanne Mazzotta
Jan 07, 2013 Joanne Mazzotta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daimones is not just a story. Massimo Marino takes you to a place that is frightening beyond measure and as you will know, then forget that this drama is based on science fiction, you are able to feel the emotions of every character, from Dan who is married to Mary and is the father of a preteen Annah ~ to every character that follows. The reactions of each are so real that you begin to imagine the unimaginable possibility of the world as we know it, ending. Well done!
Kindle Unlimited ...: Daimones Trilogy 9 14 Jan 27, 2016 11:44AM
Free Books, .99 &...: Print Edition - Daimones, Vol. 1 of the Daimones Trilogy. Booktrope Publishing. 1 3 Jan 06, 2016 06:24AM
Kindle Deals: 0.99 SALE 1 4 Dec 27, 2015 12:49PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: Available From NetGalley 1 4 Aug 20, 2015 01:25AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Speed giveaway: Daimones by Massimo Marino 5 15 Aug 02, 2015 09:32AM
Writers and Readers : Traditional Publishing Galore 1 16 Jul 31, 2015 05:59AM
Giveaway 1 1 Jul 21, 2015 06:03AM
  • The Last Overseer (The Overseer, #1)
  • The Sundered
  • The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner Trilogy, #1)
  • Children of Fire
  • The Web
  • Girl Under Glass (Glass and Iron Series, #1)
  • The Education of Lilanoir Rue
  • Virginia is for Zombies
  • Joe After Maya
  • Under the Black  Ensign: A Pirate Adventure of Loot, Love and War on the Open Seas
  • Ripple: A Tale of Hope and Redemption
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Goblin Fruit
  • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
  • Canis Major
  • The Death Trip
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • The Crooked God Machine

Massimo Marino is an author with Booktrope Publishing LCC, an Active Member of SFWA— the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America association—and member of the CODEX group—https://www.codexwriters.com

He is the Author of multi-awarded Daimones Trilogy: Daimones, Once Humans, The Rise of the Phoenix: The Daimones Trilogy, Vol. 3
Currently writing "The Law" - a YA Urban SF novel.

He's a scient
More about Massimo Marino...

Daimones Trilogy (3 books)
  • Once Humans (Daimones Trilogy #2)
  • The Rise of the Phoenix (Daimones Trilogy, #3)

“What did the Romans say? “De gustibus non est disputandum”: It is worthless to discuss personal taste. It is called 'personal' for a reason.” 7 likes
“I will never give up. Remind yourself of this, we can survive and we will survive.” 3 likes