Start by marking “Cold Turkey (Events Unlimited, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cold Turkey (Events Unlimited, #1)

Cold Turkey (Events Unlimited #1)

When Annike McKinley returns to her Aunt Gerda's home for Thanksgiving she finds the body of Clifford Brody, C.P.A., bleeding all over her aunt's tax receipts. While Sheriff Owen Sarkisian and the crime team track mud through the house, the Service Club of Upper River Gulch Environs (the SCOURGEs) sticks Annike with organizing the town's Thanksgiving weekend activities, wh ...more
Published November 30th 2007 by Ellora's Cave (first published November 16th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Turkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Turkey

Betty
Sep 09, 2016 Betty rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, kindle
This is a suggestive romance (love scenes are not graphic) First in Events Unlimited series. When Annike McKinley returns to her Aunt Gerda's home for Thanksgiving she finds the body of Clifford Brody, C.P.A., bleeding all over her aunt's tax receipts. While Sheriff Owen Sarkisian and the crime team track mud through the house, the Service Club of Upper River Gulch Environs (the SCOURGEs) sticks Annike with organizing the town's Thanksgiving weekend activities, which gives her the opportunity to ...more
Lisa Cox
Feb 01, 2013 Lisa Cox rated it it was amazing
My sister recommended this book, and I'm really glad she did. I got so entertained by the eccentric characters of the small town that I forgot to keep my mind on figuring out "who-dunnit". It is a light-hearted mystery, but that doesn't mean that it's a no-brainer. I usually figure out the culprit in the mysteries I read, and I did not come close on this one. The ending is also very unexpected and caused me to laugh out loud, literally, much to the annoyance of the rest of the household.
Diane
Nov 11, 2011 Diane rated it liked it
i do enjoy my cozy murder mysteries, and this one was just the ticket! the heroine is a strong woman who finally gets fed up with her boss and job and quits, to come home to her aunt's house, finding a dead body in the study! the hero is the new sheriff--BTW, the heroine is the widow of the old sheriff--a rather laid back guy who does get the job done. free and enjoyable!
Bridgett
Nov 16, 2011 Bridgett rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I loved it! Althoug at times it was a bit rambling and long drawn.. the author tried so hard to paint a wonderful picture,that it slowed the story down a bit at times. Sometimes less is more..but I fell in love with the characters! I will definitely read the next one! Better too much good writing, then not enough! :)
Susan
Jul 30, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I love light mysteries (aka cozies), but I am picky about them. So many of them are just silly. This one was well written, with good plot twists and great characterization. I got this book as a free Kindle edition, but I bought all the other three books in the series after reading it. Can't wait to read them.
Dawn ♥ romance
Nov 20, 2011 Dawn ♥ romance rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, dnf
I was a quarter of the way into the story and wondered if it was a romance, not sure who the hero was going to be. I skimmed a couple chapters at the end and still couldn't tell. It seemed like a Nancy Drew book. I did not finish.
Jeanna
Nov 09, 2011 Jeanna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone - women
Quick easy read - it's based on quirky characters in a small town. I was pleasantly surprised by the free e-book! I found myself actually laughing out loud at times. Great for a weekend to escape into a book!
Luckngrace
Dec 22, 2011 Luckngrace rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A cozy mystery with lots of humor. As a mother who has suffered performance anxiety when responsible for preparing those huge Christmas meals, I did suffer right along with Annike as she has a 3-day festival thrust upon her. Solving a murder mystery is by far the least of her problems IMHO.
Amy Mahle
Sep 15, 2013 Amy Mahle rated it really liked it
A quick light murderer mystery with a hint of romance. Throw in a few quirky characters and some humorous and you have a great reaad for a rainy afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Will look for others in the series to tuck away for another day.
Iamsherbear Too
Jun 04, 2012 Iamsherbear Too rated it liked it
It wasn't until I got more than half-way through the book that my interest finally took hold. I wasn't real interested in all the details regarding a pie eating contest and a raffle. It was well written, just wasn't too exciting.

When I did get interested, it held my interest until the end.
Mar 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
I think the two stars is maybe a little harsher than I meant, but the fact is that this book was just okay, and it's not really worthy of three. I thought it was overall pretty silly and not that interesting. Not terrible, and a quick fluffy read, but that's about it.
Nora Leduc
Nov 25, 2011 Nora Leduc rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining cozy. As you can guess by the title, its just what you need for Thanksgiving.
Marilyn
I enjoyed this little mystery with the quirky if not strange characters. Couldn't wait to find who done it.
Susan F
Nov 11, 2011 Susan F rated it really liked it
I got a big kick out of this book and it's main character. Enjoyable read, especially just before Thanksgiving!
Kristi
Dec 01, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it
An enjoyable escapist read with a Thanksgiving theme. I enjoyed the bit of romantic attraction thrown in, though it was light.
Alissa
Nov 14, 2011 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday
This was an entertaining Thanksgiving mystery. I loved the fiesty turkey that took up residence in Annike's Mustang's backseat--too funny.
Kathleen Rota
Feb 21, 2012 Kathleen Rota rated it really liked it
Liking this, it's amusing and fast paced. Best of all it was a freebie!

Finished and came to love TDB. Good quick read.
Emily
May 06, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
A fun, cozy Thanksgiving mystery (okay, yes I'm a little bit late in reading it in May.) I didn't guess the person who did it, either. Thanks Nook, Free Fridays for introducing it to me.
Donna Cone
Nov 05, 2011 Donna Cone rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this who-done-it quick read. It had a few laugh out loud moments. No gross elements, just a soft murder mystery. All in all a worth while read.
Sandra Cox
Jan 31, 2008 Sandra Cox rated it it was amazing
I'm reading it now. Its a hoot.
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Disco
Disco rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
Marti
Marti rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Kelli Grimes
Kelli Grimes rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Alexis Carter
Alexis Carter rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2011
Charlene Mccloskey
Charlene Mccloskey rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Christmas in Time
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Passion to Die For
  • Lynda's Lace (City Heat, #1)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Logan's Redemption
  • Lyric's Cop (Crime Tells, #1)
  • A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • A Vision of Sugarplums
  • The Seeking Kiss (Midnight Playground, #1)
  • Two Widows and the Thrift Store Murders
  • Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails (Annie Graceland Mystery, #2)
  • Cool Shade
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • Forgotten Soul (Soul Searchers, #1)
Janice Bennett has the eclectic background often encountered in writers. She earned one B.A. degree in anthropology from UC Santa Cruz, another in classical civilizations from UC Irvine, and an M.A. degree in folklore and mythology from UCLA. Over the years, she has worked as a bookkeeper, archaeologist, and college instructor in crafts, jewelry making, needlework and novel writing, and has been a ...more
More about Janice Bennett...

Events Unlimited (4 books)
  • Bunny Hop (Events Unlimited, #2)
  • Black Cats and Boondoggles (Events Unlimited, #3)
  • Hot Dogs (Events Unlimited, #4)