Start by marking “The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel” as Want to Read:
The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel

The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
For over two decades, in books like The Oil Factor, Dr. Stephen Leeb has been making bold yet astonishingly accurate forecasts. Now, in his latest book, he proves that with today's escalating historic high prices of oil and gasoline, the U.S. economy is on the brink of the biggest crisis it has ever faced. For most people, the result will be severe financial hardship...but ...more
Audio CD, 224 pages
Published July 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming Economic Collapse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming Economic Collapse

Mike
Feb 02, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People concerned about the future (and their savings)
This is the strangest investment book I've ever read. The authors spend about 170 pages (out of 196) explaining why the economy may collapse. The premise is that Peak Oil Theory is correct, that the supply of cheap oil is dwindling, and as a result, society as we know it may change drastically.

The weird part is that after each gloom-and-doom scenario they paint, the authors provide a glimpse of hope. For example, they mention that the shortage of cheap oil may cause a new age of barbarism and la
Jason
Mar 13, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in Feb 2006 and I am just now reading it. Had I read it (and believed it) then, I would have made a lot of money over the past few years on his recommendations. Question now is whether there is still any validity to the strategies given where we have come in last 24 months. (Gold $400->$1000, Oil $60->$110, etc.)

I personally agree with many of his general thoeries:
1.) We are at a supply limit on crude oil. Growth in this environment is going to be down right impossibl
James
Apr 14, 2011 James rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
April 2010
This s a pathetically bad book.

The author has a hysterical style of writing. Mr. Chicken little.

The author thinks the next decade will be a near perfect repeat of the 1970's, and what worked then will work in the next decade.
And what didn't work in the 70's will be a failure once again.

Myself, I believe in peak oil;
I have no doubt we'll see $10 a gallon gas before too many years.

But half the oil used in the US is used by transportation.
Most in personal driving around.
This isn'
SteveR
Apr 24, 2008 SteveR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 2006, and the author had tremendous insight into what we are seeing in the economy today - 2008. Oil was less than $50 per barrel, and the author, contrary to government or other experts, was predicting oil to go well over $100 per barrel. In fact, the sub-title of the book is "How you Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel." Seems like this is very likely now, given the basic laws of supply (declinein goil supply) and demand (China, India, etc.). The author also outlin ...more
Grumpus
Sep 01, 2007 Grumpus rated it liked it
Shelves: business, audiobook
This is based on the audio download from [www.Audible.com].

Narrated by: Brian Emerson

A thoughtful approach to the explanation as to why oil will be in short supply and how the world will react to it. According to the author, the coming oil crisis will not be a temporary blip like that of the 1970s...this one will be ongoing and life altering.

I particularly liked, this example highlighting the urgency for finding an new energy source. Think of a granary. Your neighbor owns it. You get all your fo
Judy
Apr 18, 2009 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subtitle of this book is "How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel." Leeb, who holds PhDs in economics, math, and psychology, presents a bleak but believable picture of a world in which oil is no longer available to the average person. He discusses the world's depleting oil supplies, the world-wide dependence on oil, and the consequences of not pursuing a replacement power source. It is a pretty frightening scenario. This books was written in 2005, and his prediction of skyrocketing o ...more
Nick Woodall
Good read, but a little sketchy on the details. Sometimes he seemed to contradict himself (inflation vs. deflation), and at times was a little too extreme in his outlook.
Brandon Little
Jan 23, 2008 Brandon Little rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: investors,environmentalists, ANYBODY PLANNING TO LIVE PAST THE YEAR 2010!
This book was certainly no letdown from past Stephen Leeb books. There are many insightful and very realistic views of the possibilities of not just the United States, but the world as a whole, when the oil crunch really begins to hit hard. More than investment advice as his past books lean toward, this books seems to be almost an outcry for action to prevent a series of unfortunate events as a result of the greatest problem our civilization will have to face--the coming energy crisis.
Derek Barnes
Mar 06, 2012 Derek Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'd think a book with this title would be pretty pessimistic. However, his economic forecast written in 2006 is, though accurate, shockingly not pessimistic ENOUGH!!! He laid out the dangers of housing inflation, but predicted that it couldn't possibly deflate because the prospect was just too horrendous to contemplate. I've got his Game Over book in my hands right now and looking forward to reading his thoughts of the 2008 crash aftermath.
Mitro Pietro
Jun 08, 2008 Mitro Pietro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in why oil prices are so high and what consequences it could have.
Exellent and objective analysis of energy economics from 2005 (published in 2006), which have proven to be disturbingly accurate. Criticisms of this book, based on the investment advice it gives, are overdone, as investment strategies comprise very little of the book, itself. The book is more about the social and economic consequences of a high global demand for oil and an oil supply that is declining.
Effendy Yahaya
Feb 23, 2014 Effendy Yahaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief overview and insights on the important of energy and its replacement that covers its important to economy, investment and personal contribution and planning.
Claire
Apr 18, 2007 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peakies...with money
The author's overall conclusions are spot-on, but like most financial advice books, this ship has already sailed. He spends some time recommending that everyone go back to 2004-2005 and read and follow the advice in his first book. I found this both amusing and frustrating.
Savio
Mar 12, 2013 Savio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author had a very negative outlook

and was always comparing the present to the 1970's

I know history repeats itself, but never word to word my friend.

And the investment advice given was not something new..so In all not worth reading.
Jay
Jun 03, 2011 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, very accurate and foretelling. The book was written in 2006, I read it in 2008 when basically the stuff was happening that they predicted. Except that oil never reached $200, but was well over $100, they pretty much had it nailed.
Paul Irvine
Jun 24, 2008 Paul Irvine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might expect this to be a typical "the sky is falling" type book. Its not. Its very well reasoned, researched, has a broad view of history and states reasonable conclusions without too tight timelines. Very good education!!
Ben
Jul 23, 2008 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
It does a good job of explaining in simple terms what the problem of "peak oil" is and why it will happen. It then goes on to predict it will happen before the end of this decade...
Jane Dugger
Pretty interesting to read this over 5 years after it was written and realize his hypothesis about oil (at least over $100 a barrel) has happened.

Overall - thought provoking.
Carter Powers
Jul 10, 2008 Carter Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for outlining what's currently happening with oil prices. This guy predicted it coming for the last 10 years. The book was written in 2006 when oil was $30 a barrel.
Ryan
Jul 29, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few years ago and it has some profound impacts. He also mentions how international policy will change and how some of our stubbornness won't change.
John Sorensen
A book about the coming energy crisis. His main prediction, $200/barrel of oil in 2010, did not come true. One of the more entertaining, wrong books I have read.
Rodney
Apr 15, 2008 Rodney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have learned that we live in a time of crisis with an energy war. It appears that the war started in the early 70's even before the Carter Administration.
Gary
Jun 03, 2013 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
International reads are hard to come by in Beijing, picked this up in the Singapore airport recently. It seems promising...
Brent
Jul 20, 2008 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I had read this two years ago. It is scary how on the money this guy was. Hopefully that changes real soon.
Maya Rock
Sep 28, 2008 Maya Rock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who knows very little about money, I found this to be pretty educational and interesting.
John
Jul 22, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leeb understands the ongoing commodity supercycle and its long-term investment implications
Derek
Sep 04, 2007 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not a good prognosis if things don't change in regards to leadership and their priorities
Bud
Jan 24, 2008 Bud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best read for anyone who wants to know how to survive in this economy.
Kurt
Oct 11, 2010 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me a lot of money... but I think by accident.
Marilyn
Mar 29, 2008 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome. No one can say we haven't been warned...
Fred
  • The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age
  • Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse
  • The Subprime Solution: How Today's Global Financial Crisis Happened, and What to Do about It
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach
  • Capital Ideas: The Improbable Origins of Modern Wall Street
  • Cheney: The Untold Story of America's Most Powerful and Controversial Vice President
  • Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and American Prospects
  • The Sages: Warren Buffett, George Soros, Paul Volcker, and the Maelstrom of Markets
  • How to Think Like Benjamin Graham and Invest Like Warren Buffett
  • The Millionaire Maker: ACT, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • Patriotic Treason: John Brown and the Soul of America
  • Resilience Thinking: Sustaining Ecosystems and People in a Changing World
  • American Insurgents, American Patriots: The Revolution of the People
  • The Canal Builders: Making America's Empire at the Panama Canal
Based in NYC, Stephen Leeb is one of the nation's leading experts on finances and Wall Street Trends.
More about Stephen Leeb...