Start by marking “The Embattled Northeast: The Elusive Ideal of Alliance in Abenaki-Euramerican Relations” as Want to Read:

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  4 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
Published October 18th 1984 by University of California Press

To ask other readers questions about The Embattled Northeast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Embattled Northeast

A.E. Reiff
Jan 13, 2016 A.E. Reiff rated it really liked it
Cannibal giants metamorph negatively, pretending to be kin until killing and eating people with that age old cannibal perfidy. People became cannibals when they hardened their hearts toward their kin. Restoration of social relation could heal these rifts, the Wabanaki thought, by addressing the cannibal as father or grandfather, appealing like Dr. King to a higher nature, conscience. Kindness to the giant was their hope of transformation.

Truly naive, it was European technology that the Algonquin
David Nichols
Jul 09, 2015 David Nichols rated it it was ok
I read this in graduate school and found its treatment of Indian-white relations rather shallow in comparison to other ethnohistorical studies of the same era (like Salisbury's MANITOU AND PROVIDENCE). I've re-read parts of Morrison's book since then, however, and think I might try re-reading the whole book one day. I think I probably didn't give it enough of my attention the first time through.
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2011