Start by marking “Vampyrrhic” as Want to Read:
Vampyrrhic

Vampyrrhic

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  1,110 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
In a small, isolated town, people are affected by a condition that leaves them in a coma unless they consume blood. Then a terminally ill man plans an act of vengeance: to set the dead against the living, so that the whole world might experience the misery the townspeople have endured for years.
Published June 29th 1999 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Vampyrrhic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampyrrhic

Colleen
Jun 01, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
I see like a lot of the other reviewers, I bought this book solely based on the cover. Like everyone else, I expected cheesy hilarity but instead was insanely engrossed in this book. Might even be better than Salem's Lot.

Very nice twist on the vampire book--which with the sole exception of Salem's Lot, and Salem's Lot inspiration EC Horror comics--I've always found to be very boring. Clark takes it in a different angle by having the vampires be tied into Norse legends and ancient magic. Which s
Greg Heath
Sep 07, 2010 Greg Heath is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty fucking weird, if I do say so myself. Just passed the vampire blow-job scene, definitely wasn't expecting that.
Alex
Feb 05, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very fun .
Michael Benavidez
This is by no means a bad book. The writing is interesting. The concept is pretty cool. The execution is where it kind of falls apart.
I say falls apart because it doesn't do anything to really hold your interest. Sure it gives us some action every once in a while, it gives us mystery and suspense, and the like. But there's no payoff. For me there was nothing to really keep me interested like, "oh god he killed off such and such, let me keep reading to know the consequence". There wasn't any of
Peter Chandler
Aug 30, 2010 Peter Chandler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you imagine that the stupid spelling of this book's title might tell you all you needed to know then, largely, you would turn out to be right although the story is unfortunately not nearly as entertaining as such silliness might suggest. Incorporating various apparently random elements of familiar horror staples, characters with secrets and latent psychic abilities, terrible family legacies, chilling things seen in drains and also that dubious morality whereby anyone exhibiting any kind of se ...more
Emily
Jan 14, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freaky-looking bald vampires living in English sewers...
Michele Mai
Feb 09, 2016 Michele Mai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire enthusiasts and King fans
This book took forever for me to read. It started off painfully slow in my eyes. After 20%, I almost shelved it, but thought better and continued reading.

Around 55%, the book picks up speed and doesn't stop until you hit 100%.

A couple of the characters I wished very slow and painful deaths. Bernice for example. She was flat out annoying most of the way through the book. Then I realized that's the sign of a good writer. So bravo to Clark, but I still wanted her to die a grisly horrible death (thi
Gemma
May 08, 2013 Gemma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, when I started reading this, I took notes with the intention of writing a review based on my opinions as I read. Instead, it turned into a little play-by-play commentary, which I decided to use anyway. It summed up my opinions better than a review could. So here it is, verbatim! Spoilers ahead! And language when I couldn't control my enthusiasm!

PROLOGUE
-Bernice seems intriguing, active with a morbid imagination
-Immediate mental correlation w/ Dracula--"Leppington, the town built on blood"
-As
Φλεγύας
Dec 22, 2011 Φλεγύας rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone into the vampire myth
Vampyrrhic is the first book by Simon Clark that I read in English. Before I say anything about the book as a novel, I have to say something about the book as a book, as a tangible object.
(Start of Venting)
I don't know whether Simon has stayed with one publishing house (it would actually be very interesting to check out this possibility) but the fact is that I have actually given up on reading his works because of missing pages. Come on! It's ridiculous. You read a book, you're halfway into a ma
Anne
Nov 07, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed Vampyrrhic with my prime membership. This horror story of vampiric armies living in the tunnels under the city of Leppington waiting for the last heir to return and take command of his army. Dr. David Leppington arrives in the town named after his family for a shot vacation. His uncle is planning on him staying and taking over the medical practice for the retiring doctor in town. The vampiric army is awakened and some are being let lose on the town to bring more bodies in as soldiers. ...more
Veon
Sep 30, 2010 Veon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice horror book, I know that there's a sequel but i haven't it. The characters seem well made but sometimes the story becomes too slow.
Chris
Apr 04, 2016 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: goodreads
Edmund Wight
Feb 18, 2016 Edmund Wight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vampyrrhic is a familiar but very different vampire story.
In Leppington there are no rats in the sewers but something else that lives on blood. A doctor returns to his ancestral home and learns that he has a destiny. A small knot of people all swirl around each other caught in a web that appears to tie them to a legend of 1,000 years earlier and a fated destiny that can end the world of man.
In some ways this is a very normal vampire story with blood sucking creatures of the night but there are e
Tim
Mar 08, 2016 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
Very much a mixed bag - my attention was wavering before the half-way mark by the time David, a doctor and the chief protagonist, accepts that blood consuming monsters live under a Yorkshire town near Whitby. At the two-thirds point the book's title is explained.

While I appreciate a good build-up is required for horror there was a little too much repetition of phrases without appropriate rhythm. Wap! Wap! Wap! as Jack would say.

The other two main characters are Bernice (a young lady drifting thr
 Martin
Dec 27, 2013 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good.
Ladiibbug
Apr 19, 2010 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horror

Marcus Halberstram
Bugger me, it was the book that wouldn't end. Sure it SEEMED like it was going to be cool. What, with the cool cover and Salem Lot vibe. I'm reminded of that old saying, 'never judge a book by its cover.' This is very true. took 200 or so pages for the vampires to show up. Never really went anywhere and blurred by at the pace of drying paint. Unlike Kings amazing book that will forever be in my top 3 favorite vampire stories, this was so hard to finish. I had to force myself to read it. I starte ...more
Eric
I must admit, I bought this book because of its cover. And its cool title. The cover shows the head and shoulders of a truly vicious looking Nosferatu-type vampire - the bald white head, long nose, bushy eyebrows. But this head is wrinkled with prominent veins, and every oversized tooth is razor-sharp and aged a gross yellow. The eyes glint with a fiendish glee.

It's delightfully hideous.

But what about the novel itself? All show and no go?

Luckily, the opposite is true. The book is pretty good,
Mike Kazmierczak
Sep 07, 2012 Mike Kazmierczak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the bulk of this book but had a couple of minor issues.

David Leppington is coming back to the town of this birth to investigate the possibility of a job and to learn more of its history. Bearing the same name as the town, the Leppington family used to be prominent members but now are down to a sole uncle who is more loner than town leader. The usual spooky stuff and premonitions of evil occur as Leppington dives into the town history. And then the capper is revealed as his uncle inform
Alessandro Balestra
David Leppington è un giovane medico che dopo vent'anni di assenza torna nel paese in cui è nato: un'antica città inglese fondata secoli prima dai suoi stessi antenati. Già dal primo giorno di permanenza l'uomo si accorge che forze oscure e maligne vivono nelle profondità del paese; David, suo malgrado, dovrà combatterle e sfidare la millenaria profezia che vede la stirpe dei Leppington profondamente legata a queste creature del buio... i vampiri. In "La città dei vampiri", romanzo creato da Sim ...more
Arybo ⑯
Aug 04, 2016 Arybo ⑯ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pensavo fosse una cavolata, invece è fantastico. Avete presente quando vi sentite immersi nella storia e nell'ambientazione tanto da perdere il senso del tempo e provate i brividi che dovrebbero avere i protagonisti? Ecco, questo è uno di quei libri.
Allan Ashinoff
There are many entertaining aspects of this book. It was easy to like the characters and, consequently, care what happened to them in the story Clark was weaving. That said, part of the story could have been more streamlined.
Enid
Very good book

This was an interesting twist on vampires. You find an unusual group of people getting together for a common cause and it doesn't leave you hanging at the end.
Elena
Jun 15, 2010 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-italian
Donald
I have one of a thousand limited edition signed copies. It is the Cemetery Dance 2008 Book Club March selection.

This tale weaves together Norse gods, an ancient promise, familial duty, star crossed souls bound to a common quest, and vampire-like beings who form an army of the undead who dwell under a town which boasts a once thriving slaughter-house for cattle farmers of surrounding towns. There is also a castle-like hotel that acts as a home base for our heros.

Simon is guilty of over-repeating
Tina
Jul 22, 2016 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the concept of the story, however it was poorly written; why would anyone want to know how old the carpet of the hotel is for example?
Jason  morton
Ok

This book was to long the story was good but it got slow allot the author is good but not enough substance
Valerie
Jan 31, 2016 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-fire
This was definitely a different take on the Vampire! Not what I expected, pleasantly surprised. The characters are the most unlikely motley crew. A great read and a page turner beginning at the 39% mark, I couldn't put it down. If you like Stephen King, you will like this!
Brian
Jun 25, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vampyrrhic was an excellent, well-plotted story. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was due to the rather poor editing. The book suffered from gross overuse of several descriptors--really, how many times can you describe a pale, white head as "as white as a football [soccer ball]" or sharp teeth as being "as sharp as a panther's" before the reader wants to start slamming his or her head against the wall--and a few rather repetitive scenes.

All in all, though, I would highly recommend thi
Venture Press
This book is published by Venture Press.
Contemporary Brit...: Vampyrrhic 1 2 Feb 23, 2013 11:31PM
  • Midnight Mass
  • Live Girls
  • Bloodstone
  • Children of Chaos
  • The Everlasting
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • The Stake
  • Queen of Blood (House of Blood, #2)
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Sow
  • A Lower Deep
  • The Light at the End
  • The Mailman
Born, 20th April, 1958, Simon Clark is the author of such highly regarded horror novels as Nailed By The Heart, Blood Crazy, Darker, Vampyrrhic and The Fall, while his short stories have been collected in Blood & Grit and Salt Snake & Other Bloody Cuts. He has also written prose material for the internationally famous rock band U2.

Raised in a family of storytellers – family legend told of
More about Simon Clark...

“DARKNESS” 0 likes