Start by marking “Eight Habits of the Heart: Embracing the Values that Build Strong Families and Communities” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In his trilogy of memoirs that includes Once Upon A Time When We Were Colored, The Last Train North, and Watching Our Crops Come In, Clifton Taulbert introduced us to a host of relatives and friends--affectionately known as the porch people--who were an integral part of his upbringing in his native Glen Allan, Mississippi. Although these people were limited in financial re ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Penguin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Habits of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Habits of the Heart

Abigail Coats
Feb 28, 2016 Abigail Coats rated it really liked it
On one hand, I really liked the theme of the book, the preface and the idea. On the other hand it was boring for me, but probably because it is so plain Joe--which seemed to be the point. It has interesting writing style which is very detailed in the everyday. I wish I could remember all 8 chapters and key points because that is what I took away from the book: community = brotherhood, friendship, etc...
I would say don't waste your time reading it if you are a to-the-point person like me. If you
Steve Lively
Sep 08, 2015 Steve Lively rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the straightforward approach of these eight habits. Mr. Taulbert presents several relatable anecdotes and connections to reinforce this moral approach to life. I plan to use this book with some community college students this term and hope it spawns some worthwhile discussion.
Charles Dull
Nov 13, 2015 Charles Dull rated it really liked it
This was thought provoking to read of a value set found in a discriminatory environment. Having things and money is not a value, doing and being are values and how we engage with those values defines our life.
Beth Neu
Jun 18, 2014 Beth Neu rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is a quick read, practical and positive. If you want to have a guide to bettering your own life and community using a simple, common-sense approach, read Clifton Taulbert's book and embrace the positive values that helped make him the success he is today.
Jen
Jul 31, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It's a shame this has such a schmaltzy title. It does a fine job of defining some of the attitudes that are necessary to develop a strong community that supports everyone, whether a family, a neighborhood, a work team or a nation. It's a fast, easy read and is worth reflecting on.
Mimi
Oct 23, 2008 Mimi rated it liked it
Recommended to Mimi by: mother
This book is about building strong communities.
Starla Nichols
Starla Nichols marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Bujji Emy
Bujji Emy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Torrie
Torrie marked it as to-read
Ronnie
Ronnie rated it liked it
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Joan Hader
Joan Hader marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Christina Wellman
Christina Wellman marked it as to-read
Sherie Lovich
Sherie Lovich marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Apr 01, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Jeannie Donovan
Jeannie Donovan marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Marie Dahleh
Marie Dahleh rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Morrisa Govan
Morrisa Govan marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Jeremy Yoder
Jeremy Yoder marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Jennifer M.
Jennifer M. marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Anna Hubbard
Anna Hubbard rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Marie
Marie added it
Jan 17, 2016
Kayla Roth
Kayla Roth marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Tina Mullener
Tina Mullener marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Nicole Sedlacek
Nicole Sedlacek marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015