Start by marking “Raid!: The Untold Story of Patton's Secret Mission” as Want to Read:
Raid!: The Untold Story of Patton's Secret Mission

Raid!: The Untold Story of Patton's Secret Mission

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The orders came from Patton himself: Take a strike force behind enemy lines--with no air or ground support--and liberate a POW camp at Hammelburg, where Patton's son-in-law was held. Captain Abe Baum and an armored task force answered the call, crashing through an enemy-held town, plunging into German territory, and fighting their way to Hammelburg. With the German army cl ...more
Published August 8th 2000 by Dell (first published August 6th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Raid!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raid!

Fredrick Danysh
Sep 14, 2012 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Toward the end of World War II, General George S. Patton athories a raid by a small armored force to liberate POWs held by the Germans while he heads off in a different direction. One of the POWs is his son-in-law. This is the story of the men of that strike force, select POWs, and the results. An interesting read of an historically obscure event.
Iain
May 10, 2016 Iain rated it did not like it
In a word, awful. It reads like a 1930's boys tale of adventure. Patton checks a Colonel's hemorrhoids, GI's are killing German Field Marshals, and the presence of Jewish officers in the American army is explained.

It could just be poorly written fiction for there's no footnotes, and the few facts we can check are at the very least misleading. For example, the book tells us that Patton got across the Rhein before the British, by boat on March 22nd ... So? Hodges's 1st Army had crossed the river o
Justin Torres
Apr 20, 2016 Justin Torres rated it it was amazing
This book has a good mix of action with sadness since some raids do not plan out as Senior Officer, George Patton orders a raid on the enemy lines, behind the enemy lines. The book goes on to show the struggle the platoon goes through to get behind enemy lines. The battles along the way, the gun fights, the knowledge of not having any support. The platoon has no help, just the men in their group. It is a really great book.
Ron
Jun 15, 2016 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2, military
First person accounts of the doomed raid to release POW's near the end of WWII instigated by General Patton.
Katie Harder-schauer
Jun 24, 2013 Katie Harder-schauer rated it it was ok
While I realize there were a lot of big players involved in this event, which accounts for all the jumping around, it was hard to keep everyone straight, and I never felt very connected with any one character as we weren't with any of them for any length of time before moving onto someone else. But it's quite possible that War books just aren't really my thing.
Johnny
May 24, 2012 Johnny rated it liked it
Good book about an important, doomed-to-failure prisoner of war raid that would become one of General George S. Patton's only failures of his military career. The plan was ambitious but ultimately too ambitious and ... well I can't ruin it for you. I'd recommend it to the military buffs only!
Nike Chillemi
Jun 03, 2011 Nike Chillemi rated it really liked it
Fascinating look into how Word War II was fought on the ground in Europe. An inside look at US Army internal politics and the foibles the Army is all too well known for.

. I read this as part of my research while writing my debut novel BURNING HEARTS.
Neal Flax
Neal Flax rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Jeferson Guarin
Jeferson Guarin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Ryon Keith
Ryon Keith marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Evan
Evan added it
Feb 05, 2016
Roger
Roger added it
Jan 10, 2016
Joseph M.
Joseph M. rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Christian Wacker
Christian Wacker marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Steve Karnes
Steve Karnes rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Shammking
Shammking rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
JSK
JSK added it
Dec 15, 2014
Dave Knop
Dave Knop marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jj Grilliette
Jj Grilliette marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Ryan Haas
Ryan Haas rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Haley Grizzell
Haley Grizzell marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Robin Becker
Robin Becker rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014