Start by marking “Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth” as Want to Read:
Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth

Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  23 reviews
What does the Bible teach about God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?
What do angels, Satan, and demons have to do with reality?
What place should the Bible or a church have in my life?

Perhaps you think you know what others are telling you to believe, but deep down inside you wonder, "What is really important to my own faith?" If so, you need to know...a Christian's faith must
Published May 1st 2003 by David C Cook (first published November 30th 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Know What You Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Know What You Believe

Iris
Know What You Believe summarizes the basic Protestant Christian beliefs on God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the Bible, people, sin, salvation, the church, angels, Satan, demons, and things to come. It does a good job of covering many ideas in a short space, and it gives Biblical references for each idea so that the reader can investigate further on her own. It is a useful book for evaluating one's beliefs with the traditional understanding of Christian faith. One drawback is that the book rea ...more
Mary J
I do not consider myself a "thinker", a super intelligent person, or whatever you want to call it. I'm pretty satisfied with sticking with the subjective part of Christianity: God has made himself known to me, thus I will believe in his Word. That's just me.
This book is written towards a different crowd: the ones who need the FACTS. They need to know every angle and detail before something is true. And that is what Little presents.
He doesn't sweep your doubt under the rug and tell you "have mor
Very good. The writing is simple and easy to understand. The pages are covered with scriptural references. One thing that I especially appreciated was that the author explained any reasonable variations of understanding on many topics. After all, the book is called "Know What You Believe," not "Know What Mr. Little Believes."
Emily
Paul Little's book 'Know Why You Believe' was given to me by some friends after I expressed a desire to return to my old roots in apologetics. I was given a solid foundation in this in my years in Campus Crusades for Christ (shout out to Jimmy Li) but have moved way, way far away from that as I have moved from my teens into adulthood.

The book takes on 12 critical questions, including everything from 'Is There a God?' to 'Do Science and Scripture Agree?' to 'Why Does God Allow Suffering and Evil?
Katie  Wornson
Was good but...well...i kept falling asleep while reading it
Christopher
With the plethora of Christian denominations and Christian cults proselytizing right now, it can be difficult even for the faithful Christian to know what are the basic tenets of their faith that every Christian shares, regardless of denomination. Enter this magnificent little book on the basics of the Christian faith by Paul Little. In ten chapters and a little less than 150 pages, Mr. Little goes through everything that every Christian believes, subject by subject, in prose that is easy to und ...more
Danielle
I read this book with my Bible study group. We had been talking about apologetics and how the Bible and history and science are not antithetical to each other. We were looking for a study to go more in depth on the topic, and I'm not sure this was the best choice. We did have some interesting discussions, but for the most part I felt like the book was too surfacey and made a lot of circular arguments that just pointed back to Bible passages to answer the questions it was posing. As was pointed o ...more
Onysha
Good overview of Christian doctrines and theology. The writing is rather dry, making it somewhat tedious and hard to get through. The dry writing makes up for it being concise and to-the-point. I already knew most of the material discussed in the book. Nevertheless, it was a good refresher.
Clara Roberts
In this wonderful book Paul Little covers the basic doctines of orthodox Christianity. It covers the Bible, God, Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ's death, man and sin, the Holy Spirit, Salavation, angels, satan, and demons, the Church, and Things to Come. This is a book I read thirty years ago and it was just as good to read again. The book is an easy read and just chocked full of information that I Christian should think about.
Samson
I recommend this book as a concise summary of the beliefs of evangelical Christians. Disputes among the community are clearly noted and the author sometimes gives his personal opinions.

Several years ago, I skimmed through the interesting but difficult concepts. This year, the book makes a lot more sense. Note that I read the Chinese version.
Austin
Dec 08, 2014 Austin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Austin by: Sonlight
I was hoping this book would be inspiring and helpful to me, but I found it more boring than helpful. Little may have had helpful definitions of what we believe, but the book was a little too uninteresting to be helpful to me. However, I have started Little's Why You Believe, and, for know, find it to be much better and more interesting.
Dawn Roberts
Previewing this for dd for a 7th grade worldview course. A nice, succinct treatment of the basics of the Christian faith. Since we are studying the Reformation at the same time, it's great to get historical insight into the development and confirmation of orthodox Protestantism. This one is articulate and concise.
Romy
Jun 09, 2011 Romy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of several books that Matthew will be reading next school year for his worldview study. I've finished the first two chapters and am enjoying it so far. I can't wait to see how Matthew comprehends the deep subject matter and I'm looking forward to our discussions through the study.
Nick
Jun 07, 2011 Nick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nick by: David Sloan
Shelves: own, christian-living
I read this book when I was a Freshmen or Sophomore in High School for a Sunday School class. At the time I was blown away by the deeper level of theology Little presents at a basic level. Now I can't remember much of what he said, but it was great for me then.
Deidre
Maybe it was Little's writing style or something but this wasn't the easiest read. Content was great and it'll definitely serve as a reference in the future. I wish I'd discovered the study questions at the back of the book sooner because it helped me stay focused.
Roxanne
I read this book to go along with LIfeway's MasterWork Bible Study Curriculum...very helpful. Enjoyed reading the book. It will be one that I refer back to. Great way to explain what we believe to others who have questions.
Grace
Doesn't attempt to consider beliefs of all Christian denominations. Some don't believe what is presented in this book.
Marie
Much is explained that I have learned for years, very concise, LOVE this book!!
Barbara
Short, concise and powerful. We do not become angels when we die.
Stephanie Mater
Small group book. Good basis of Christian faith
Earthling
Reading in Apologetics Class 2008-2009
Andy
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Brit Eddy
Brit Eddy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Chanel Henderson
Chanel Henderson marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Miami Merger
Miami Merger marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • What If Jesus Had Never Been Born? The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • The Westminster Shorter Catechism: For Study Classes
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton?
  • The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History
  • Truth and Transformation: A Manifesto for Ailing Nations
  • The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
  • Assumptions that Affect Our Lives
  • Who Moved the Stone?: A Skeptic Looks at the Death and Resurrection of Christ
  • Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace and Healing
  • True for You, But Not for Me: Deflating the Slogans that Leave Christians Speechless
  • Christian Reflections
  • Daring to Live on the Edge: The Adventure of Faith and Finances
  • The Deadliest Monster: A Christian Introduction to Worldviews
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
Paul E. Little and his wife, Marie, worked for twenty-five years with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. Until his death in 1975, Little was also associate professor of evangelism at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois.
More about Paul E. Little...
Know Why You Believe How to Give Away Your Faith Know Who You Believe Know What You Believe Know What And Why You Believe: Two Christian Classics In One Volume