Start by marking “Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity” as Want to Read:
Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity

Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When in their lives do great artists produce their greatest art? Do they strive for creative perfection throughout decades of painstaking and frustrating experimentation, or do they achieve it confidently and decisively, through meticulous planning that yields masterpieces early in their lives?

By examining the careers not only of great painters but also of important sculpt
Published December 2nd 2007 by Princeton University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Old Masters and Young Geniuses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Masters and Young Geniuses

Sydney
I couldn't' resist picking this book up while visiting a college bookstore, even though I feared it would be dry. I found myself absolutely absorbed by his unique approach to the creative life--coming up with new concepts early in one's working life vs. honing and honing craft over time. I'm a big art geek so I loved reading with a big fat art book on my lap so I could look at the paintings mentioned in the book.

My only reservation--few women mentioned in the book. And we don't fit well. The rh
David
Feb 15, 2010 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Nearly all the general conclusions and implications were presented better, I think, in Malcolm Gladwell's article. This book primarily offered the supporting evidence and analysis. It is therefore important but not a very good read for any person who is not a fan of art scholarship.

I do have one problem with the basic argument, however. The book presents much evidence to support the thesis--which I was more or less okay with--but it does not at all try to disprove its thesis, leaving me undecide
Simone
May 15, 2009 Simone rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
a fascinating book. because i'm a geek, i really loved the methods section, but i'm probably alone in this.

i heard galenson on npr back in october and was immediately interested in reading this and only now got around to doing so.

it's a dense read, and in proving his point he spends a lot of time hashing through the evidence.

although not intended to make me feel better about my own intellectual pursuits, it does. if you're work is not immediately heralded for critical acclaim, just start thin
Gary Geiger
Jan 01, 2014 Gary Geiger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-culture
This is where Malcolm Gladwell is at his best; turning me on to other writer's books. This is what I call an idea book. Are you a conceptualist or are you and experimentalist? I think that I am an experimentalist and a middle-aged journeyman on his way to becoming an Old Master.
David de Beer
May 28, 2009 David de Beer rated it really liked it
Using mainly artists, Galenson patiently documents evidence for his theory of two distinctive personality types among creative personality types.
One of the more intriguing theories on creativity I've encountered. If the hypothesis hold, and I think it might, it could have very exciting implications to our fundamental thinking on the creative process.
Mark
Jan 18, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
for what i hoped to get out of this book, i think it was an excellent read. the premise of two different types of creative personalities is introduced right up front and repeatedly substantiated throughout. at times the discourse seems a little overly scholarly, but many of the examples bring wonderful anecdotal evidence to the theory.
Julian
Excellent, thought-provoking little book that should provoke much introspection in any creative person.
Joshua Berg
Dec 28, 2011 Joshua Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enlightening analysis of how the creative mind works.
Tim
Apr 26, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, valid, and useful.
Sue
Sue is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Leslie Shaip
Leslie Shaip marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Biganderz
Biganderz marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Matt Kudlacz
Matt Kudlacz marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Emma Pierce
Emma Pierce marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Hillary Butler
Hillary Butler marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Thomas Breeden
Thomas Breeden marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Clayton Miller
Clayton Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Cornel
Cornel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Kressel Housman
Kressel Housman marked it as to-read
Jp
Jp marked it as to-read
Jesse Bradley
Jesse Bradley marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
J.R. Johnson
J.R. Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Marius Valag
Marius Valag marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Ethan Sherman
Ethan Sherman rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Co-Opetition
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Explaining Creativity: The Science of Human Innovation
  • George Lucas's Blockbusting: A Decade-by-Decade Survey of Timeless Movies Including Untold Secrets of Their Financial and Cultural Success
  • The Art of Thought
  • Drawing Ideas: A Hand-Drawn Approach for Better Design
  • Wild Color, Revised and Updated Edition: The Complete Guide to Making and Using Natural Dyes
  • The Icon Handbook
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • The Emperor's New Drugs: Exploding the Antidepressant Myth