Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  24 reviews
For the growing number of solo and small-group consultants, this book features the practical information needed to expand a small practice into a million-dollar consulting business. For example, the book shows how to increase sales by abandoning the bottom portion of the market; offers ten techniques for developing breakthrough relationships; details why value-based fee st...more
Paperback, 3rd edition, 358 pages
Published August 5th 2003 by McGraw-Hill (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Million Dollar Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Million Dollar Consulting

Caroline
I purchased and read this manual to assist me in developing marketing strategies for my new business lines (I'm a policy person, not a sales rep). It did provide some insights, but I didn't derive what I'd hoped to - the "silver bullet" to assist me in securing prospective clients. Than again, what should I have expected for $22.95?
Chris Munson
Million Dollar Consulting is a superbly detailed and thorough look at what it takes to setup a successful consulting practice. It's full of useful tips and in-depth recommendations for such crucial topics as focusing on results, marketing, business-winning proposals, setting consulting rates, partnerships, etc. The book oozes real-life experience. The book's greatest strength is that it provides concrete examples and step-by-step instructions around most of the important issues that consultants...more
Samantha
Although the edition I read was dated, I found this to be an excellent discussion on considerations for developing a strong consulting businesss. If I ever end up starting one I would buy the updated version (mine was from the 90's).

Jeremy
Apr 12, 2014 Jeremy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Coaches and consultants
Recommended to Jeremy by: Sylva Leduc
Shelves: business
I try to learn from someone who's already done what I want. Alan Weiss addresses a number of useful issues as I expand my business into business and executive coaching and consulting.
Kyle
His best stuff is regarding solo-practice professionals. The portions that only apply to enterprise-class business consultants didn't mean all that much to me..
Branimir
This is not the book which will turn you into a consultant all of a sudden (surprise, surprise). For what its worth, it would not even help you realize if you are good fit for this hat. Yet, what I like a lot is that it gives advices on being more self-aware and organized. This is one of the better business reads and I would recommend it to people who want to learn to be more confident and persistent.

Alan Weis creates a good overview of practices which allow people to better "sell" themselves. C...more
Agona Apell
An enlightening read! Leads the reader steadily and masterfully through the major stages of running a consulting practice. I especially loved the chapters on writing proposals and setting value-based fees. Many business writers make mountains out of the molehills of proposal writing. Not Mr. Weiss: his idea of a proposal is a compact affair which I have stuck to with great benefit ever since I picked it from these pages.

This is a book I will read again and again over the coming years.

Michael
Great book for independent consultants that are both starting out and have been in business for a while. The section on value based pricing is absolutely astounding and will revolutionize the bottom line of most businesses. However note that Mr. Weiss has done a much better job in other books of detailing the specific ways and methods of using the value based pricing model. This book is a great primer to most of his other great books like his Ultimate Consultant Series.
Jenny
Lots of great tips in here that shifted my perspective on how to structure work with corporate clients, but I can't say I know exactly how to make the leap from where I am now to being the "trusted advisor" -- working on a results-basis not at all on the "how" of deliverables (workshop, coaching, etc).
Artur Matos
Looking at the title, I was expecting one of those dreadful self-help books telling you how to get rich in 3 easy steps; surprisingly enough, it was actually a very nice business book. The author is a very successful consultant and obviously talks from his experience. It covers pretty much everything you need to run a consulting practice, from marketing to pricing. Highly recommended for anyone doing consulting or thinking of becoming a consultant.
Ryn
Jul 13, 2008 Ryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants ownership of their professional contributions
Recommended to Ryn by: Annie Stevens
The SUBTITLE is really what this is about: How to own and grow a professional, independent practice
Not about million dollars, and not really about consulting.
More about value-based partnering/advising/listening.
Instead of feeling powerless about one's occupation, Weiss offers an insightful and actionable approach to owning one's own professional contributions and increasing their value.
Thank you, Annie Stevens (http://www.clearrock.com)
Stacey Moore
Lots of great advice for consultants. I especially like his suggestions regarding fees and proposals. I don't agree with everything (he's a bit too "process oriented" for me). I expect that most consultants will find at least one actionable item from the book that warrants a five star rating. Take what you like and leave the rest.
Josh
Nov 29, 2011 Josh added it
After a year of struggling to get my own consulting practice off the ground, this book provided a lot of information that's helping me turn the corner.

With that said, it's not a bible and I think Alan Weiss' tone is beyond arrogant at times. Read it, take it for what it is, glean the important pieces and make it apply to you.
Barbara Daiker
If you are working with consultants or are considering going into consulting, this is a good book for bringing forward a philosophy and strategy. It isn't a "how to" in consulting, rather a way to think about providing services to companies.
Amanda
This book seems to have been written so that you can jump to the chapters you want. As a result, many ideas, tips and stories were repeated in multiple sections and reading the book from front to back was a little tedious.
MJ Hoffman
Brazen and bombastic at times, this exploration in how to grow your book of business is chock full of "nuggets." Contrarian ways to challenge yourself if you want to set yourself apart from the pack.
Joe
Good book if you are starting out in the world of consulting. For someone that has been doing it for a while you can pick and choose which chapters. best chapter is on writing a proposal.
Keith Brooks
Consultants read this. You are not making any money until you read this.
Bernadette Wright, PhD
An interesting look at the mindset and techniques of building a million dollar consulting business, from someone who's done it.
Keshia
This is a great companion to Alan Weiss' other book, Getting Started in Consulting. It is a must-read for anyone in consulting.
Ktaaffe
Solid and highly useful tactics to consider when putting yourself into the marketplace as a consultant of any type.
David
Broad and yet dense overview of successful consulting. I have the feeling that I'll be referring to this book a lot.
Philip Athans
Some excellent advice, if repetitious, that really got me thinking. . . .
Eliot
Very good insight for consultants and professional services firms.
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Sep 17, 2014
Poker18g
Poker18g marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Randal Figgins
Randal Figgins marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • The Management Myth: Management Consulting Past, Present & Largely Bogus
  • Wizard of Ads
  • Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Slack: Getting Past Burnout, Busywork, and the Myth of Total Efficiency
  • The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really is
  • The New Strategic Selling: The Unique Sales System Proven Successful by the World's Best Companies
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Co-Opetition
Getting Started in Consulting Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series) The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice Money Talks: How to Make a Million as a Speaker Million Dollar Consulting Toolkit: Step-By-Step Guidance, Checklists, Templates, and Samples from the Million Dollar Consultant

“Abraham Maslow observed, “When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.” 0 likes
“Too many consultants fall in love with their own methodology. Success in this business comes from marketing, not from the depth of consulting expertise. I know that this is heresy to many of you, but all the nonrainmaking consulting gurus are working for somebody else and merely earning a paycheck.” 0 likes