Start by marking “Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice” as Want to Read:
Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

The acclaimed Million Dollar Consulting gives consultants the tools and advice they need to grow a firm that rakes in at least $1 million per year. Alan Weiss, "the consultant's consultant," shows step-by-step how to raise capital, reel in new clients, set fees, accelerate growth, and more. This updated and expanded edition will appeal to both Weiss's many current fans and

Paperback, 3rd edition, 358 pages
Published August 5th 2003 by McGraw-Hill (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Million Dollar Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Million Dollar Consulting

Chad Warner
May 07, 2016 Chad Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultants, service providers
Recommended to Chad by: Freelancers' Show
This is a handbook on being a high-income, professional consultant. It's a wealth of practical advice on high-end consulting, based on extensive first-hand experience. Weiss exudes professionalism and confidence. He's an unabashed contrarian, sharing alternatives to conventional wisdom. I didn't agree with everything he advocates, but overall I found it very informative.

I read this because my web design agency, OptimWise, provides consulting services. It was recommended on episode 192 of the Fre
I purchased and read this manual to assist me in developing marketing strategies for my new business lines (I'm a policy person, not a sales rep). It did provide some insights, but I didn't derive what I'd hoped to - the "silver bullet" to assist me in securing prospective clients. Than again, what should I have expected for $22.95?
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 Chris Munson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
Million Dollar Consulting is a superbly detailed and thorough look at what it takes to setup a successful consulting practice. It's full of useful tips and in-depth recommendations for such crucial topics as focusing on results, marketing, business-winning proposals, setting consulting rates, partnerships, etc. The book oozes real-life experience. The book's greatest strength is that it provides concrete examples and step-by-step instructions around most of the important issues that consultants ...more
Li Li
Jul 27, 2016 Li Li rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is informative, practical, and easy read. It gives ample real-life examples and provides practical solution and insight.

I completed the book quickly with the hope that I can apply some of the advise to business writing in general. I did gain some general advise, but I would not recommend this book to a Sr. business lead as more of those are common sense (common sense are not common practice though).

Eyad Zoudi
Dec 25, 2015 Eyad Zoudi rated it liked it
Well structured book. If you are a business graduate, you should be familiar with a great deal of the content.

In nutshell, be professional, maintain good relationship with your clients, organize your projects and diversify.
Jun 25, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Although the edition I read was dated, I found this to be an excellent discussion on considerations for developing a strong consulting businesss. If I ever end up starting one I would buy the updated version (mine was from the 90's).

Linda Mitchell
Jun 15, 2016 Linda Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Dr Weiss was extremely thorough. He covered every aspect of having a million-dollar consulting business. It's a good book for beginners like me and seasoned professionals.
Apr 12, 2014 Jeremy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Coaches and consultants
Recommended to Jeremy by: Sylva Leduc
Shelves: business
I try to learn from someone who's already done what I want. Alan Weiss addresses a number of useful issues as I expand my business into business and executive coaching and consulting.
Sep 13, 2014 Kyle rated it really liked it
Shelves: entrepreneurship
His best stuff is regarding solo-practice professionals. The portions that only apply to enterprise-class business consultants didn't mean all that much to me..
May 06, 2014 Branimir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the book which will turn you into a consultant all of a sudden (surprise, surprise). For what its worth, it would not even help you realize if you are good fit for this hat. Yet, what I like a lot is that it gives advices on being more self-aware and organized. This is one of the better business reads and I would recommend it to people who want to learn to be more confident and persistent.

Alan Weis creates a good overview of practices which allow people to better "sell" themselves. C
George Samuels
Jan 19, 2016 George Samuels rated it it was amazing
Very practical
Bruno De carvalho
Very good book. Learned lots of insights and techniques that I am currently using in my career.
Agona Apell
Oct 02, 2013 Agona Apell rated it it was amazing
An enlightening read! Leads the reader steadily and masterfully through the major stages of running a consulting practice. I especially loved the chapters on writing proposals and setting value-based fees. Many business writers make mountains out of the molehills of proposal writing. Not Mr. Weiss: his idea of a proposal is a compact affair which I have stuck to with great benefit ever since I picked it from these pages.

This is a book I will read again and again over the coming years.

Oct 24, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Great book for independent consultants that are both starting out and have been in business for a while. The section on value based pricing is absolutely astounding and will revolutionize the bottom line of most businesses. However note that Mr. Weiss has done a much better job in other books of detailing the specific ways and methods of using the value based pricing model. This book is a great primer to most of his other great books like his Ultimate Consultant Series.
Jan 02, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
Lots of great tips in here that shifted my perspective on how to structure work with corporate clients, but I can't say I know exactly how to make the leap from where I am now to being the "trusted advisor" -- working on a results-basis not at all on the "how" of deliverables (workshop, coaching, etc).
Artur Matos
Feb 11, 2013 Artur Matos rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Looking at the title, I was expecting one of those dreadful self-help books telling you how to get rich in 3 easy steps; surprisingly enough, it was actually a very nice business book. The author is a very successful consultant and obviously talks from his experience. It covers pretty much everything you need to run a consulting practice, from marketing to pricing. Highly recommended for anyone doing consulting or thinking of becoming a consultant.
Jul 13, 2008 Ryn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants ownership of their professional contributions
Recommended to Ryn by: Annie Stevens
The SUBTITLE is really what this is about: How to own and grow a professional, independent practice
Not about million dollars, and not really about consulting.
More about value-based partnering/advising/listening.
Instead of feeling powerless about one's occupation, Weiss offers an insightful and actionable approach to owning one's own professional contributions and increasing their value.
Nick Woodall
Good book on setting up your consulting business.
Marcey Rader
Apr 15, 2015 Marcey Rader rated it it was amazing
This had so many writer-downers for me as a consultant. I recommend this to anyone who has services w value based pricing. One of my top ten business books and I've read a lot!
Stacey Moore
Jan 23, 2008 Stacey Moore rated it it was amazing
Lots of great advice for consultants. I especially like his suggestions regarding fees and proposals. I don't agree with everything (he's a bit too "process oriented" for me). I expect that most consultants will find at least one actionable item from the book that warrants a five star rating. Take what you like and leave the rest.
Nov 29, 2011 Josh added it
After a year of struggling to get my own consulting practice off the ground, this book provided a lot of information that's helping me turn the corner.

With that said, it's not a bible and I think Alan Weiss' tone is beyond arrogant at times. Read it, take it for what it is, glean the important pieces and make it apply to you.
Barbara Daiker
Jul 18, 2012 Barbara Daiker rated it really liked it
If you are working with consultants or are considering going into consulting, this is a good book for bringing forward a philosophy and strategy. It isn't a "how to" in consulting, rather a way to think about providing services to companies.
Aug 23, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
This book seems to have been written so that you can jump to the chapters you want. As a result, many ideas, tips and stories were repeated in multiple sections and reading the book from front to back was a little tedious.
MJ Hoffman
May 21, 2013 MJ Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Brazen and bombastic at times, this exploration in how to grow your book of business is chock full of "nuggets." Contrarian ways to challenge yourself if you want to set yourself apart from the pack.
Mar 01, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
Good book if you are starting out in the world of consulting. For someone that has been doing it for a while you can pick and choose which chapters. best chapter is on writing a proposal.
Keith Brooks
Dec 29, 2013 Keith Brooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Consultants read this. You are not making any money until you read this.
Feb 26, 2015 Roland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consulting
Absolutely great, packed with good and practical advice - has to work to implement them, but that's the point.
Every freelances - not just consultants - should read this.
Bernadette Wright, PhD
An interesting look at the mindset and techniques of building a million dollar consulting business, from someone who's done it.
May 27, 2012 Keshia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is a great companion to Alan Weiss' other book, Getting Started in Consulting. It is a must-read for anyone in consulting.
Dec 09, 2009 Ktaaffe rated it really liked it
Solid and highly useful tactics to consider when putting yourself into the marketplace as a consultant of any type.
  • More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant's Tool Kit
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches - Third Edition
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Consulting for Dummies
  • The Invisible Touch: The Four Keys to Modern Marketing
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • The New Strategic Selling: The Unique Sales System Proven Successful by the World's Best Companies
  • Do It! Marketing: 77 Instant-Action Ideas to Boost Sales, Maximize Profits, and Crush Your Competition
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management

“You grow based on exploiting strengths, not by acclimating to weaknesses.” 1 likes
“Abraham Maslow observed, “When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.” 0 likes