Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith
read book

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (Teachings of Presidents of the Church)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  4,802 ratings  ·  87 reviews
This is the ninth in a series of books of the teachings of Presidents of the Church. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have established the "Teachings of Presidents of the Church" series to help you deepen your understanding of the restored gospel and draw closer to the Lord through the teachings of latter-day Presidents of the Church. As the Churc...more
Paperback and online, 586 pages
Published 2007 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (first published 1981)

Lisa
Oct 13, 2008 Lisa is currently reading it
I enjoyed the lesson on Sunday about trials. I certainly have mine. Joseph Smith must have been pretty amazing to get up and preach a sermon and baptize 3 people after a night of being beaten, tarred, and feathered. I don't know that I would be up to that. But I guess I can get back up and keep trying when I have trials, the way he did. And keep praying!!!!
Daniel Clark
Joseph Smith was a prophet. You know--the kind that speaks with God and relays a message. If you don't know it's true, you haven't really truly checked. If you haven't checked, maybe you're scared it might be true. As Joseph Smith is quoted as saying in this church manual, "[Mormonism takes] a deep hold in the hearts and affections of all those who are noble-minded enough to lay aside the prejudice of education, and investigate the subject with candor and honesty." I don't think many people can...more
Misty Lynne
Loved what was there. Would have liked more detail, but that's probably beyond the scope of this book's purpose.
Brent Wilson
Good collection of Joseph Smith's thought, selected and organized around some key topics of interest to the current LDS Churh leadership.

I serve in Primary so don't attend regular priesthood meeting sessions where the book is used as a text. My reaction on reading it was - Joseph Smith is remarkably clear and accessible, when comopared against other 19th century thinker/writers of his time (e.g., Jefferson, Lincoln, Emerson, etc.). Then I wondered, why do I find him so clear and straightforward?...more
Celeste
Yeah! We've finished studying Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith this year. We have used this book as a core devotional book for religious studies. I have to say, there is a lot of information in this book. My children and I found new nuggets of information, topics to discuss, and new understanding to add to our every day lives.

I highly recommend this book for all people who wish to understand Joseph Smith's teachings and/or wish to know more about the LDS or Mormon church. The...more
Sandy
This was a very compelling book for me. I have read it in its entirety over the past two years as we studied it in Relief Society. It was very thought provoking for me. I enjoyed reading it and I also found the questions at the back of each chapter very insightful. On the surface the book may seem repetitious of doctrines already known and the questions may seem rote, but for me, I found new insights and knowledge as I read the text. I also found that the questions could be answered on two level...more
[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review]
It's a good introduction, both to Joseph Smith Jr.'s life and to his teachings, but it's fairly sparse. Its strengths are probably: the breadth of the teachings included, the attempt to contextualize them historically; and the lack of "Mormon-only" cultural jargon. Judging it as a lesson manual, I'd give it 4 stars; judging it just as a collection of his teachings, I'm going to have to give it 3 stars.

Also worth noting is that I actually got to see an early copy of this, a year or three before...more
Steven Hummer
LDS.org has the mp3 files for free so having this on my iPod is very neat lets me keep up with the class.
The manual is an easy informative read and has a lesson preperation section at the end of each chapter. ITunes has an application with all of the standerd works and the lesson manuals for free! I love using the itouch version because I can make the print very large. If you are an iPhone or iPod touch owner I highly recommend you pick this app up.
Regardless of the format of you Joseph Smith le...more
Haley Grizzell
I am grateful for my membership in the Church; and my testimony of it's divinity hinges upon the simple story of the lad under the trees kneeling and receiving heavenly visitors- not one God, but two separate, individual personages, the Father and the Son, revealing again to the earth the personages of the Godhead. My faith and testimony hinge upon this simple story, for if it is not true, Mormonism falls. If it is true- and I bear witness that it is- it is one of the greatest single events in a...more
Nicole Lewis
May 17, 2014 Nicole Lewis added it
Shelves: lds
I really enjoyed this one.
Darleen
Joseph Smith was such a hero, in my eyes! Accepting the call that he didn't know the magnitude of, and growing with all of its requirements, enduring external persecution, and overcoming the various deaths of his loved ones, and receiving divine revelations, while translating ancient scripture; and being willing to share, with humility, all that life has taught him, while sharing with the saints what God wanted them to know; are some of the things that I read about in this book; I am so glad to...more
frankoui
Everyone in the world should read this. It would open their eyes to where we come from, where we are going after our spirit leaves this body, and what it will be like. He was the first prophet chosen to Restore the Kingdom of God for the last time before the second coming. He Restored it April 6, 1830. Fifteen prophets have succeeded him. Read the Book Of Mormon and have an open mind and heart and pray to God for the truth of it, and you will know for yourself. I say this in the name of Jesus Ch...more
Jami Lowe
i learned so much about this awesome man! my appreciation has abounded exponentially. I'm so grateful for his courage, faith, trust and love of the Lord to help restore the true church of God. how prepared he was to listen and receive revelation and guidance from our Lord. I've learn a lot about strength and what it truly means to be an instrument in the Lords hands.
Magila
This is a good book for anyone interested in an overview of Joseph Smith's actual teachings (Joseph Smith was the founder, or restorer, of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - or Mormons). It was church sponsored, and is generally available free or for only a few dollars. It lacks the depth of the older Teachings of Joseph Smith book, and is organized topically.
Jon
Nice to read many of the Prophet Joseph Smith's thoughts on basic church doctrine. It would be interesting to read directly in the History of the Church.

I feel funny rating church books (since there is an inherent bias and since I'm only reading for knowledge vs pleasure) so if anyone knows how to abstain from voting without affecting the rating let me know.
Amber
Rereading and reading this series. I love the life and teachings sections so much. These men and their families have been through so much together. I'm so grateful for each one of them.
Shad
I love this book and am grateful for the history and teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It has probably taken me longer to read this book than any other book I remember reading. I think that was, in part, because I was not yet ready to learn some of the teachings therein until relatively recently. I highly recommend it to all seekers of truth.
Heidi
Last year and this year we have been studying this book in Relief Society/Priesthood Meetings. There are a lot of lessons that I have missed reading from beginning to end, and I'm tempted to start over from the beginning, but it is great! This book is broken up into themed chapters as it is used in a class setting, rather than chronologically.
Craig
It's nice to learn more about the man who found his own way (spiritually) before God and taught others to do likewise. Five stars for content. Minus one star for the non-sequitur integration of quotes and sources, some third-hand. These *are* all thoroughly referenced, however, in the (often overlooked) chapter notes.
Ann Call
Apr 23, 2012 Ann Call rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested or curious
Tamma
I'm of course reading this for Relief Society. How will I ever find the time to read anything other than church literature and kids books. It's all about seasons and following local leaders. I enjoy the historical background the most. It gives all of the doctrine context that opens my eyes.
Heather Murphy
Sep 24, 2012 Heather Murphy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Heather by: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
It is incredible the insight obtainable by studying the words in this book. I now have the opportunity to teach an hour lesson from it to the women at church on the second Sunday of each month. For me, in depth gospel study comes so much easier when preparing a talk or lesson about it.
Galaxyflyer
This book is really cool I wish I could read books in a day, but then I would comprehend vary little of it.
I have only read parts of it, only chapters 27, 41,45 in my personal study. I have to figure out how to make all my studies fit in my time. It will be cool when I do.
Scott
Great succinct account of Joseph Smith's life/teachings. I've taught a few of the lessons in Elder's Quorum and had a great time. If it can spark controversy still it must be true, right? Some of it was a bit sugar coated, but I guess it has to be in Church manuals. I liked it.
Carol
A wonderful compilation of addresses made by the Prophet Joseph Smith. They have been arranged into a lesson format so that individuals can teach and be taught from such wonderful words from such a wonderful man. Well put together. Highly recommend.
Becky
I was expecting a lot of the same stories you always hear about his life. I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of the quotes and I thought the lessons were put together in a very appealing way- kind of a fresh outlook on topics we talk a lot about.
Heidi
Fantastic. Of course! I enjoyed spending two years studying from this manual. I will miss it, but I'm glad I own it and can turn to it whenever I want. I also loved that there was a quote from my great-great-grandfather's journal.
Wendy
This is one book that will hold a prominent place next to my scriptures. I understand that it took eight years to compile it ... all from the Joseph Smith papers. As I study its pages, I find that I'm committed to be a better Saint.
Wendy
Reading the teachings of Joseph Smith has been an enlightening exprience for me. I am constantly moved by the love he shows his people and his complete unwavering faith in Jesus Christ. I am very thankful for his life and mission.
Alice
I had the opportunity to teach Relief Society from this book for the past 18 months. I was just released and will miss reading from the prophets now that we're going to be learning from the Gospel Essentials for 2010.
  • Truth Restored
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • The Holy Temple
  • Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley
Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price Preach My Gospel: A Guide To Missionary Service Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Gospel Principles Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society

“We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true Mormons.” 5 likes