Start by marking “Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover) ” as Want to Read:
Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover)

Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Reviews from the First Edition:

"An excellent text ... The postulates of quantum mechanics and the mathematical underpinnings are discussed in a clear, succinct manner." (American Scientist)

"No matter how gently one introduces students to the concept of Dirac's bras and kets, many are turned off. Shankar attacks the problem head-on in the first chapter, and in a very inform
Published September 1st 2005 by Springer (first published December 31st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover)

Chris
Hands down the best textbook I have ever read. Even though it is aimed at higher level students, I found Shankar much easier and more rewarding to follow than Griffith's Introduction To Quantum Mechanics. Each page follows very logically from the last, which to me is very important.

If you have taken basic courses in linear algebra, Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics and boundary value problems than look no further. Perfect for self study!
DJ
May 20, 2010 DJ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: physics
Those who follow the pack waste days wrinkling their foreheads at the long, winding, historical path through quantum mechanics that David Griffiths leads his unsuspecting followers on. Those who know better skip the foreplay and face the glorious intellectual burden that are the axioms of quantum mechanics in just the second chapter of Shankar.

Shankar's introductory chapter on the mathematics of quantum theory is the best out there. It was my saving grace after getting bogged down in a quantum i
Aldous Mercer
I was looking for some specific information earlier today, and Google failed me. Then I decided to dust off this undergrad textbook, and voila, it was right there.

The best QM textbook evar. Spend the money if you need this data on a regular basis.
James Lyon
Shankar has an interesting way of approach the teaching of Quantum Mechanics. He clumps all the math needed to appreciate the quantum theory at the beginning: mostly linear algebra. If you can solidly understand the first chapter, it's downhill from there.
Dustin
Topics are explained clearly enough for an advanced undergraduate class but covers more than enough for a first semester grad class. Good to have on hand for reference/review durring quantum II.
Skymeson Rolnick
I had to read this one for grad school. Not my favorite but not bad either. It does have some chapters that make it worth while.
Colin Boyle
A must read. A fantastic, self contained intro to graduate level quantum mechanics.
Fred
Sep 22, 2007 Fred rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seekers
Shelves: thinking-again
One of the best books I ever read on this subject. Very clear and easy to follow.
Ben
Oct 16, 2013 Ben rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: physics
It's time I took this off my "currently reading" list.

Very good.
dead letter office
start with griffiths, but this is not a bad next step.
Joel Brumfield
I'll never finish this but interesting.
Pedram
Dec 27, 2007 Pedram added it
i wanna start to read it!
Anuhya
Anuhya added it
Aug 28, 2015
Sunni Brown
Sunni Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Raelene
Raelene marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Andrew Ashton
Andrew Ashton marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Rod Medina
Rod Medina marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Yohannes
Yohannes marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
SaFy Essa
SaFy Essa marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Maria Plaksina
Maria Plaksina marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell
  • Gravitation
  • General Relativity
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Optics
  • A First Course in String Theory
  • The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • Quantum Mechanics And Path Integrals
  • Thermodynamics
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge Series on Information and the Natural Sciences)
152060
Ramamurti Shankar (born April 28, 1947) is the John Randolph Huffman Professor of Physics at Yale University, in New Haven, Connecticut. His research is in theoretical condensed matter physics, although he is also known for his earlier work in theoretical particle physics. In 2009, Shankar was awarded the Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize from the American Physical Society for "innovative applications ...more
More about Ramamurti Shankar...
Basic Training in Mathematics: A Fitness Program for Science Students