Start by marking “Principles of Quantum Mechanics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Quantum Mechanics

Principles of Quantum Mechanics

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  459 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Reviews from the First Edition:

"An excellent text ... The postulates of quantum mechanics and the mathematical underpinnings are discussed in a clear, succinct manner." (American Scientist)

"No matter how gently one introduces students to the concept of Dirac's bras and kets, many are turned off. Shankar attacks the problem head-on in the first chapter, and in a very inform
Published September 1st 2005 by Springer (first published December 31st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Quantum Mechanics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Quantum Mechanics

Chris
Jun 21, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Hands down the best textbook I have ever read. Even though it is aimed at higher level students, I found Shankar much easier and more rewarding to follow than Griffith's Introduction To Quantum Mechanics. Each page follows very logically from the last, which to me is very important.

If you have taken basic courses in linear algebra, Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics and boundary value problems than look no further. Perfect for self study!
G.R. Reader
Feb 07, 2016 G.R. Reader rated it it was amazing
To A Certain Pop Science Writer (He Knows Who He Is) Who Should Have More Sense

If you haven't read Shankar
You're really just a wankar
DJ
May 20, 2010 DJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: physics
Those who follow the pack waste days wrinkling their foreheads at the long, winding, historical path through quantum mechanics that David Griffiths leads his unsuspecting followers on. Those who know better skip the foreplay and face the glorious intellectual burden that are the axioms of quantum mechanics in just the second chapter of Shankar.

Shankar's introductory chapter on the mathematics of quantum theory is the best out there. It was my saving grace after getting bogged down in a quantum i
Physicist-CY
Jul 11, 2016 Physicist-CY rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Edit:
Upon going through even more of this book, I love it! The clarity and the fact that it explains so many things that other textbooks don't make this my number one Quantum Mechanics book(and I have read a lot!). This, along with Griffith's book, will make you an undergrad Quantum Mechanics master! I didn't expect it, but this book turned out to be even more awesome than I previously thought.

Original:
I have just started reading this (so the rating might change), while I already have some know
Aldous Mercer
Feb 03, 2014 Aldous Mercer rated it it was amazing
I was looking for some specific information earlier today, and Google failed me. Then I decided to dust off this undergrad textbook, and voila, it was right there.

The best QM textbook evar. Spend the money if you need this data on a regular basis.
Simona
Jun 03, 2016 Simona rated it it was amazing
math intro is comprehensive, concise and very helpful. the first half of the text (which I have read) is very well written - step by step derivations and explanations of the main features of QM. a good alternate text.
Amit
Jun 30, 2016 Amit rated it it was amazing
Principles of quantum mechanics is the best book to actually knowing how to do quantum mechanics. The mathematics can be a bit daunting but if you have invested your time reading Chapter 1 thoroughly, the book can no doubt help make quantum mechanics your one of your best subjects.
James Lyon
Mar 07, 2010 James Lyon rated it liked it
Shankar has an interesting way of approach the teaching of Quantum Mechanics. He clumps all the math needed to appreciate the quantum theory at the beginning: mostly linear algebra. If you can solidly understand the first chapter, it's downhill from there.
Dustin
Jun 13, 2007 Dustin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Topics are explained clearly enough for an advanced undergraduate class but covers more than enough for a first semester grad class. Good to have on hand for reference/review durring quantum II.
Skymeson Rolnick
I had to read this one for grad school. Not my favorite but not bad either. It does have some chapters that make it worth while.
Colin Boyle
Apr 12, 2009 Colin Boyle rated it it was amazing
A must read. A fantastic, self contained intro to graduate level quantum mechanics.
Fred
Sep 22, 2007 Fred rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: seekers
Shelves: thinking-again
One of the best books I ever read on this subject. Very clear and easy to follow.
Ben
Oct 16, 2013 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physics
It's time I took this off my "currently reading" list.

Very good.
dead letter office
Apr 17, 2008 dead letter office rated it liked it
Shelves: texts
start with griffiths, but this is not a bad next step.
Joel Brumfield
May 11, 2012 Joel Brumfield rated it liked it
I'll never finish this but interesting.
Pedram
Dec 27, 2007 Pedram added it
i wanna start to read it!
Firoz Khan
Firoz Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Varshit
Varshit rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Pranshu Malik
Pranshu Malik marked it as to-read
Garvit Agrawal
Garvit Agrawal marked it as to-read
Reza
Reza rated it it was amazing
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Sastry
Sastry rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Jeffrey M
Jeffrey M rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Lingxiao Wang
Lingxiao Wang marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Matthew Liscio
Matthew Liscio rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Torrey Levin-Russell
Torrey Levin-Russell rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
  • A First Course in String Theory
  • Solid State Physics
  • Optics
  • The Quantum Theory of Fields: Volume I, Foundations
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics
  • The Principles of Quantum Mechanics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
152060
Ramamurti Shankar (born April 28, 1947) is the John Randolph Huffman Professor of Physics at Yale University, in New Haven, Connecticut. His research is in theoretical condensed matter physics, although he is also known for his earlier work in theoretical particle physics. In 2009, Shankar was awarded the Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize from the American Physical Society for "innovative applications ...more
More about Ramamurti Shankar...