Start by marking “How Come That Idiot's Rich and I'm Not?” as Want to Read:
How Come That Idiot's Rich and I'm Not?

How Come That Idiot's Rich and I'm Not?

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In How Come That Idiot’s Rich and I’m Not? bestselling author Robert Shemin reveals for the first time the inner-circle secrets of the mega-wealthy. Have you ever wondered why some people attract wealth while others stay financially trapped and in debt? The key is wealth-friendly, upside-down thinking. Stick with all the old moneymaking rules and stay broke. Break them and ...more
Published March 4th 2008 by Crown (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How Come That Idiot's Rich and I'm Not?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Come That Idiot's Rich and I'm Not?

Kara
I'll bet this book makes a great seminar. Shermin is a speaker who goes around teaching people these concepts for a living, and that's how this book reads. For a seminar, it's pretty good: dynamic, not too detailed, and filled with SHARPs (a Decker acronym that stands for "Stories, Humor, Analogies, References and Quotations").

But the problem is this isn't a seminar. It's a book. And books are held to a different standard. Before I talk about what I did and didn't like about the content, let me
Loy Machedo
For someone like me who hardly knows shambles about investment, the money market, wall street or something Chinese sounding like equity funds, commodities or shares; I was under the fallacy that Robert Shemin's "How come THAT idiot'0s rich and I'm Not?" book would be the required dosage of Nirvana for my financial soul.

However, it was not the case.

Having to torture myself with a long drawn out boring program filled with the obnoxiously placed "spiritual laws of money" to the foolhardy mind bendi
Lisa Gregor
Yes, the book was a little self-serving at times (go to my website…blah, blah, blah), but I still enjoyed it. According to Robert, to become a rich idiot you have to change your way of thinking - an upside down way of thinking. Though, easier said than done, it did make sense to me and after some aha moments, it didn’t take me long to figure out why I wasn’t rich. His writing style is fun, simple and inspiring, which also makes this a good repeat read.
Elie Harriett
A good measure of any kind of helpful book is to find out whether or not that book gave you at least one piece of good advice or one good idea. Using that criteria, this book did an excellent job, because it gave me one good idea I had not tried before and am working on implementing it now.

The book itself is a collection of helpful ideas about ways to change your mindset to change your personal, professional, and financial future. It is written in a tone and narrative that seems to be reminisce
Henrik
Apr 03, 2012 Henrik rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one interested in entrepreneurship, wealth and personal development.
I read this book as part of the 12 books in 2012 ( http://www.12booksgroup.com/ , on goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1... )

The book describes what rich idiots do in comparison to RUB's (Right side up and broke) and how their thinking is different to others. I believe that the book in general has good examples on how to become a rich idiot and I agree with most principles. I believe the most revolutionizing concept for me is the "act as if", simply because it seems to be so much ag
Leonard
I picked this book up several months back thinking that the book dealt with the human psychology involved with success and failure. Unfortunately, the book was not what I had expected.

Although, I found the book to be spiritually uplifting, it read a lot like a late night info-mercial. The kind where "You too can be rich, if you follow my plan."

There were a couple of insightful nuggets but overall, the book was a big disappointment.
Stephanie Streich
I wasn't impressed, nor did I gain any insight about becoming any richer. This book may be good for people who love risk and have no problem with being completely direct with strangers. It also focuses heavily on playing with real estate which may not be the best advice considering the current market.
Crabbygirl
this guy is way too voodoo for me: suggesting you wear a wealth talisman, saying there's a spiritual aspect to wealth, repeating your wealth/commitment affirmation twice a day...

he's got lots of catch phrases and examples to back them up but they don't always make sense (for example: 'fake it till you make it' advocates you ACT and DRESS wealthy to meet the right people but then his real life example is a poor woman who treated herself to tea at the plaza and then fesses-up to the maitre d' - wh
Desiree
Not much new here.... lots of repetition and reminders to go to his web site: www.getrichwithrobert.com. Only recommended for beginners....
Jacob
Robert has a unique voice that seeps from the pages of his book. The voice speaks of sincerity, expertise, and experience. I wouldn't call the book a one in a kind but if you are stuck in your life wondering why all your hard work and plans haven't equated to wealth (monetary or otherwise) then this might be a good read for you. I think you could also read books by Kiyosaki, Trump, and others but Robert Shemin is really good at plain talk about I would describe this as a fun read.

Robert talks ab
Donna
Let's just say: I got this book for free, and I'm glad. I was at a conference where Shemin was a speaker - and he's very very good at that, by the way - and this book was a free takeaway. I honestly didn't make it all the way through, because the first two sections contained just a wee bit too much 'spiritally mystical money-making rules of the universe' for my tastes. (Read: all of it.) Glancing ahead, I suspect section three might have a few bits of actual, practical wisdom, but I somehow doub ...more
Lynn
I really love this book, and know how to appreciate it. I am surprised it got low ratings in quite a few reviews, but I usually rate in accordance to how it affected me. I felt Robert's simple, no frills way of writing shows an underlying humility that fits like a puzzle piece to everything he proposes in this book.

I am very eagle-eyed regarding contradictions, but alas, I found none here! His writing was as smooth as a parfait with fresh cream and fruits straight from the bushes. In other word
Stef
The first few pages seems very promising. Then everything felt apart from the end of the first chapter onwards.
There are different way you can become rich, there are different people that could motivate and coach you to become rich. Shemin is not my type of coach.
Richard Kelly
This was alright. I listened to it in audio format and it is read by the author. Of course, he is a professional speaker so it is very well read. Feels like a one on one counceling session. There is a lot in here, but it is all basic common sense kind of stuff.

There is a lot of stuff that is remiscent of The Secret, but it does a little deeper and is somewhat motivating. There are also a few jewels in the information, but not too many of them.

Basically it is a call to action and it is somewhat
Grace
This book had some good points but was mostly propaganda for his seminars, however, if you take that with a grain of salt, you can certainly gleam some positive energy from the book.
Mark Ruzomberka
Do not waste your time with this book. This is just a rehash of so many other books on investing and real estate. Buying a used car instead of a new one, and explaining how real estate is a good investment over the long run has been explained more interestingly by much better writers elsewhere. The one unique thought here was to become a travel agent using some multi-level marketing site so you could get free or discounted travel. While not a bad idea I must admit, it just did not seem practical ...more
Anthony
After a good belt tightening year my financial situation was in much better shape and now I was looking to see if there were any ideas I could start to implement. Again very similar ideas to Rich Dad from earlier in the year but this book had some others as well. Seemed a bit slow to start as he kept going on and on about what he was going to tell you. Finally it was just like Enough, just tell me already! But after that point some very good information.
Kathy
Overall, I thought the book was pretty good. At times he overdid the “RUB” (Right side up and broke) vs. “Rich Idiot” theme. Many of the concepts are very similar to Robert Kiyosaki’s “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” concepts (i.e. bad debt vs. good debt, owning assets, buying real estate, etc.).

I did like his points about keeping things simple, set that one goal and, the real key, act.

Rick Mccray
I loved this book and I would recommend it to anyone who is breathing and wants something better for their life. Robert Shemin breaks down how your thinking has held you back for the majority of your life, and exactly how he recommends you change your thinking to vault forward in your life. This was a great book and I would gladly recommend it to all of my friends.
Mike Lawrance
mereka yang smart telalu banyak berpikir mempertimbangkan banyak hal dan akhirnya tidak pernah "action"
yang idiot berpikir dan langsung mengerjakan apa yang dibutuhkan dan mendapatkan hasil.
jika kita belum kaya, mari tingggalkan pola pikir lama dan kebiasaan bekerja seumur hidup
John Hibbs
Aug 10, 2008 John Hibbs rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone needing financial help
Good book. Definitely an excellent beginner's introduction to thinking about wealth. I learned some new items about Second Life and virtual reality worlds where people are generating wealth.

Further proof that money is just an idea.

Douglas
A good book overall. With a non-sense approach to saving money, through intelligent investing and cautious spending. It would be worthwhile for anyone to read through. I liked the book a lot and read through it in two days.
David
This book is about how to become a “rich idiot”, and was written specifically for people who have already achieved half of that goal.
Lincoln
Buy your own home, a single family or duplex, and a small complex 6 to 12 units and you can retire.
Manuel Alejandro
If have blind fate in capitalism and want to get rich, this is your book, no question about it.
Angela
Jan 02, 2013 Angela added it

Very informative. Awesome read. Highly recommend for those interested in becoming wealthy!!!
Fernando Montenegro
Sorry, too much mumbo jumbo, not nearly enough content . Waste of time.
David
trashy self help book. but i did read it...
WAM WAM
for fuckin' real!
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
12 Books - Author...: How Come That Idiots Rich and I'm Not? - June 2012 6 62 Jun 28, 2012 07:45PM
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • Digital Leader: 5 Simple Keys to Success and Influence
  • A Gift to My Children: A Father's Lessons for Life and Investing
  • Unlimited Wealth: The Theory and Practice of Economic Alchemy
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know about Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Sparkling Gems from the Greek: 365 Greek Word Studies for Every Day of the Year to Sharpen Your Understanding of God's Word
  • Your Credit Score: How to Fix, Improve, and Protect the 3-Digit Number that Shapes Your Financial Future
  • The Success System That Never Fails
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Empire of Debt: The Rise of An Epic Financial Crisis
  • The Real Book of Real Estate: Real Experts. Real Stories. Real Life.
  • The Winning Attitude: Your Pathway to Personal Success
  • You're Broke Because You Want to Be: How to Stop Getting By and Start Getting Ahead
  • The Automatic Millionaire Homeowner: A Powerful Plan to Finish Rich in Real Estate
  • E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company
  • Think Like a Champion: An Informal Education In Business and Life
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
Robert Shemin, JRobert SheminD, MBA, is one of the country’s most successful full time real estate investors and leading experts in the critical areas of buying and selling great deals, landlording, wealth building and asset protection.

Mr. Shemin has been involved in over one thousand real estate transactions totaling more than fifty million dollars. He has renovated hundreds of houses and duplexe
More about Robert Shemin...
Secrets of a Millionaire Landlord 40 Days to Success in Real Estate Investing Secrets of a Millionaire Real Estate Investor Unlimited Riches: Making Your Fortune in Real Estate Investing Secrets of Buying and Selling Real Estate...: Without Using Your Own Money!