Start by marking “Mrs. Jeffries Holds the Trump” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Jeffries Holds the Trump

Mrs. Jeffries Holds the Trump (Mrs Jeffries #24)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Mrs. Jeffries must swim upstream to catch a killer.

Successful local Michael Provost had no enemies, yet he was found dead off the Chelsea Vestry Wharf. With the help of her staff, Mrs. Jeffries dives into an investigation that leads to an earlier crime—and even more questions.
Published June 3rd 2008 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries Holds the Trump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries Holds the Trump

Hal
Dreadful. So poorly written it is hard to believe it was published.

The idea is interesting: A kind but not especially skilled detective in Victorian London has a devoted household staff that dotes on him. While he is away at work, his maid, cook, housekeeper, footman, etc., go out and find clues which they spoon feed him to help him solve the case. This keeps murderers off the streets and protects his fragile ego.

The problem is in the writing, which is third-rate. Someone must have told Ms Brigh
Drebbles
Inspector Gerald Witherspoon has had tough murder cases to solve in the past, but his most recent case is particularly hard. The victim, Michael Provost, seemed to have no enemies, greedy relatives, or business rivals. Witherspoon has few clues one of which is that Provost was asking a lot of questions about the disappearance of a friend of his. It's going to take everything Witherspoon has to solve this case. Luckily he has his faithful servants, led by housekeeper Mrs. Jeffries, to help him (e ...more
Marie
In Mrs. Jeffries Holds the Trump, Michael Provost is found floating next to the wharf. As Mrs. Jeffries and her team investigate, they discover that no one would want this man dead. Well, almost no one. They soon discover that this death may be connected to another death; one that Provost himself was investigating. Of course, Inspector Witherspoon is also investigating, and Mrs. Jeffries is there to help him as needed. Mrs. Jeffries isn't sure her suspicions are correct and starts to doubt herse ...more
Christine
Gramy
Mrs. Jeffries, the household staff, and other friends look forward to hunting down clues to help Inspector Gerald Witherspoon solve murder crimes. Smythe and Betsy try to wed for a third time, with her sister and brother-in-law brought to town thanks to Smythe. A new employee is added to the household to help during thw wedding preparations, murder solving, Christmas, and the honeymoon. After you get to know the characters, it becomes a much more compelling series.
Lynn
A quick and satisfying read. Now to read the next one.
Jacqui Ainsworth
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other Mrs. Jeffries books that I have read. I figured it out much earlier then I usually do and there wasn't as much interaction between the characters. However, it kept me interested and was worth reading. I liked the connection with Sherlock Holmes and am now toying with picking up that huge complete works I have on the shelf. Mrs. Jeffries books are easier to hold in your hand so I will probably just grab one of those. :)
Dot
A very quick read and fun..perfect for travelling as I was doing this week.
The detective in this series set in Victorian England is a mild mannered gentleman who is an Inspector in the London Metropolitan Police but all the detecting is done by his household staff.
Carol
This book was recommended to me as a fun read, and it was. I will read more of this series.
Babs
May 26, 2010 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Mysteries
Another great book in this series. It was touch and go for Mrs Jeffries and she thought she was wrong, but came through as always.
charlene
I just could not get into this book. Read half and still was not keeping my interest so I did not finish it.
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Heidi Andriola
Heidi Andriola marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Trina Knox
Trina Knox marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • SPQR VII: The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • Shrouds of Holly (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #15)
  • Dragonwell Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Black Arrow (Sugawara Akitada, #3)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Murder Can Singe Your Old Flame (Desiree Shapiro Mystery #6)
  • Baby Shark (Baby Shark, #1)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • The Innocence and Wisdom of Father Brown
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • The Measby Murder Enquiry (Ivy Beasley, #2)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren, #2)
  • The Tale of Oat Cake Crag (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #7)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g ...more
More about Emily Brightwell...
The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1) Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2) The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3) Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney (Mrs Jefferies, #18)