Start by marking “The Queen's Devotion (Queens of England, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Devotion (Queens of England, #10)

The Queen's Devotion (Queens of England #10)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Lyrical and vivid, The Queen's Devotion deftly explores the palace intrigue and political maneuverings of a unique time that saw the rise of England's only co-regents, William and Mary.
Published August 26th 2008 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen's Devotion

Sara W
Better than The Three Crowns. Makes William's treatment of Mary seem not as bad since it's from her POV. She seemed to rationalize his behavior more so than other people because she loved him in spite of his actions.

**Possible Spoiler if Unfamiliar with this Time Period**

In all these books I've read about Mary (granted, all fiction so far), I don't understand why she was so upset that her father killed Jemmy. I understand that she had some sort of feelings for Jemmy (either just as a cousin or
I really enjoyed William's Wife by Jean Plaidy, also published under The Queen's Devotion. This is the 10th book in the Queens of England series and the first Plaidy book I've read and I'm so glad that, for me, she lived up to the hype. Queen Mary, however, was a little annoying. She didn't seem to have the ability to stand up to William when it was her that was the rightful ruler. She had a few moments when I thought she was coming into her own but... well, that's all I'll say so I don't give o ...more
Sarah D
I reviewed this book when I initially read it a few years ago. Below is my original review!

So based on the summery, I thought that this would be a passionate, fast paced read that would tug my heartstrings a little bit.

Not so. I didn’t like the book, and for a few reasons. One, the narration seemed to be repetitive and just… slow. I’m sure the book was pretty historically accurate, however, I guess I have come to expect a bit more drama in books like this.

Second, I hate whiny women as a narrato
Rio (Lynne)
3.5 stars. I wanted to know more about Mary and William. There are not many "historical fiction" choices out there about them. Plaidy writes very light and this reads easily. None of the people were likable, but unlike my fictional heroines who I have to like or at least care about to finish, this was different because these were not made up characters. Mary was a wimp and a pushover. William was only focused on being the King of 3 Crowns. The author added the facts. Many parts seemed hokey, but ...more
Sonya Wanvig
I didn't know much Queen Mary II before reading William's Wife; other than she was the wife of William III in the late 17th century. Poor Queen Mary; her marriage was loveless and none of her babies survived. She died at 31 after 6 unhappy years as queen. I love it that Ms Plaidy gives a story to all these queens like Mary. Although she was a queen and rich, her life was not her own and was very unhappy. It's short length and simple language make this book a great quick read.
Robin
So Queen Mary II isn't going to go down as one of my favorite English monarchs...or even one that is really interesting. If the way Plaidy portrayed her is accurate, then she let herself be ruled by her husband, William, and let him rule her country when she, by right, should have been the one in charge.
Marilyn Mansfield
Only so so book about William and Mary. Again, a period I knew little about in English history. It helped me understand the importance of the Battle of the Boyne and the Jacobite cause which I had read about in other (better) books I.e., Devil Water by Anya Seton.
Lauren
I loved the story but Mary annoyed the crap out of me. I always wanted her to stick up for herself but in that age she couldnt. I despized William and almost couldnt wait for him to die. But the story is truley amazing and the book is rich in history.
Amy
Interesting to read about this period of history, not a "great" book though. At some points I felt like "Ok, you're torn between your husband and your father, we get it...."
Nancy Chaddick
I love learning history through Jean Plaidy's books - easy reading; this one got a tad tedious near the end, but I learned a bit about William and Mary I didn't know.
Donna
Enjoyed this story about Queen Mary and King William, monarchs not often written about. I'm glad to see the reissue of Jean Plaidy's historical fiction.
Alison
It has been fun to discover an older writer really in to the historical series of events.
Michell Karnes
I liked the way the author portrayed this very interesting marriage.
Allison
#10 in series - #10 in historical order
Diane
It was Ok. A very simple read.
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
ROXANE
ROXANE marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Elaine Jarnagin
Elaine Jarnagin marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Shiona Thompson
Shiona Thompson marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Silvia Marcos
Silvia Marcos marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Tudor Women: Queens & Commoners
  • Edward VI: The Lost King of England
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)