Start by marking “The Queen's Devotion (Queens of England, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Devotion (Queens of England, #10)

The Queen's Devotion (Queens of England #10)

A daughter's love. A monarch's duty.
On the road to greatness, one young woman must make an unthinkable choice. For Princess Mary, life has never been simple, but through it all the love of her father, the Duke of York, has been a constant and reliable comfort. Despite his own loyalty to the Catholic Church, the Duke and his brother, King Charles II, raised Mary as a Prote
Published August 26th 2008 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen's Devotion

Sara W
Jul 25, 2007 Sara W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than The Three Crowns. Makes William's treatment of Mary seem not as bad since it's from her POV. She seemed to rationalize his behavior more so than other people because she loved him in spite of his actions.

**Possible Spoiler if Unfamiliar with this Time Period**

In all these books I've read about Mary (granted, all fiction so far), I don't understand why she was so upset that her father killed Jemmy. I understand that she had some sort of feelings for Jemmy (either just as a cousin or
I really enjoyed William's Wife by Jean Plaidy, also published under The Queen's Devotion. This is the 10th book in the Queens of England series and the first Plaidy book I've read and I'm so glad that, for me, she lived up to the hype. Queen Mary, however, was a little annoying. She didn't seem to have the ability to stand up to William when it was her that was the rightful ruler. She had a few moments when I thought she was coming into her own but... well, that's all I'll say so I don't give o ...more
Amy
Aug 20, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Interesting to read about this period of history, not a "great" book though. At some points I felt like "Ok, you're torn between your husband and your father, we get it...."
Sep 24, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
I reviewed this book when I initially read it a few years ago. Below is my original review!

So based on the summery, I thought that this would be a passionate, fast paced read that would tug my heartstrings a little bit.

Not so. I didn’t like the book, and for a few reasons. One, the narration seemed to be repetitive and just… slow. I’m sure the book was pretty historically accurate, however, I guess I have come to expect a bit more drama in books like this.

Second, I hate whiny women as a narrato
Rio (Lynne)
Feb 12, 2012 Rio (Lynne) rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I wanted to know more about Mary and William. There are not many "historical fiction" choices out there about them. Plaidy writes very light and this reads easily. None of the people were likable, but unlike my fictional heroines who I have to like or at least care about to finish, this was different because these were not made up characters. Mary was a wimp and a pushover. William was only focused on being the King of 3 Crowns. The author added the facts. Many parts seemed hokey, but ...more
Sonya Wanvig
Dec 31, 2010 Sonya Wanvig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know much Queen Mary II before reading William's Wife; other than she was the wife of William III in the late 17th century. Poor Queen Mary; her marriage was loveless and none of her babies survived. She died at 31 after 6 unhappy years as queen. I love it that Ms Plaidy gives a story to all these queens like Mary. Although she was a queen and rich, her life was not her own and was very unhappy. It's short length and simple language make this book a great quick read.
Robin
Feb 26, 2009 Robin rated it it was ok
So Queen Mary II isn't going to go down as one of my favorite English monarchs...or even one that is really interesting. If the way Plaidy portrayed her is accurate, then she let herself be ruled by her husband, William, and let him rule her country when she, by right, should have been the one in charge.
Lauren
May 15, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I loved the story but Mary annoyed the crap out of me. I always wanted her to stick up for herself but in that age she couldnt. I despized William and almost couldnt wait for him to die. But the story is truley amazing and the book is rich in history.
Marilyn Mansfield
Only so so book about William and Mary. Again, a period I knew little about in English history. It helped me understand the importance of the Battle of the Boyne and the Jacobite cause which I had read about in other (better) books I.e., Devil Water by Anya Seton.
Bookish
Feb 02, 2008 Bookish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads
pretty good!
Alison
Nov 13, 2008 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been fun to discover an older writer really in to the historical series of events.
Diane
Oct 30, 2010 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was Ok. A very simple read.
Donna
Aug 18, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this story about Queen Mary and King William, monarchs not often written about. I'm glad to see the reissue of Jean Plaidy's historical fiction.
Nancy Chaddick
Sep 16, 2013 Nancy Chaddick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love learning history through Jean Plaidy's books - easy reading; this one got a tad tedious near the end, but I learned a bit about William and Mary I didn't know.
Michell Karnes
I liked the way the author portrayed this very interesting marriage.
Allison
#10 in series - #10 in historical order
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2015
Jackie Groshart
Jackie Groshart rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2010
Stephen Purdy
Stephen Purdy rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2009
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Elissha
Elissha rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2009
Stacy Benton
Stacy Benton rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Gail Lucas
Gail Lucas rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2011
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2013
  • Queens of England
  • The King's Daughter
  • With All My Heart
  • Anne Boleyn: In Her Own Words  the Words of Those Who Knew Her
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • The Countess and the King: A Novel of the Countess of Dorchester and King James II
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
  • Lady of the Roses: A Novel of the Wars of the Roses
  • Mistress Anne
  • The Anne Boleyn Collection: The Real Truth about the Tudors
  • The History of King Richard III
  • Mary Tudor: The Spanish Tudor
  • The Fifth Queen
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Queens of England (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Myself, My Enemy (Queens of England, #1)
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
  • Victoria Victorious: The Story of Queen Victoria (Queens of England, #3)
  • The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4)
  • The Courts of Love (Queens of England, #5)
  • In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6)
  • The Queen's Secret (Queens of England, #7)
  • The Reluctant Queen: The Story of Anne of York (Queens of England, #8)
  • The Merry Monarch's Wife (Queens of England, #9)
  • The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11)