Start by marking “Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)

Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  21,086 ratings  ·  233 reviews
The second title in the second Dragonlance novel trilogy, now available for the first time in hardcover.

The second title in the second Dragonlance novel trilogy is now being released for the first time ever in a trade hardcover edition. Featuring the stunning art and design that graced the cover of the paperback edition, the new version of this series is a follow-up to the
Mass Market Paperback, 398 pages
Published October 30th 1986 by TSR (first published February 1986)

Dale
This was the first book I read when I started my new bus/train commute. But, this was not the first Dragonlance book I've ever read. It was the tenth. Dragonlance is a gigantic moneymaking franchise that runs off the insatiable appetites of geeks, among which I count myself. It's almost besides the point for me to review the book at all, because it's so niche. Either you "get it" or you don't. But, shoot, I'll give it a try.

The original Dragonlance trilogy (which I read in high school) was about
Brad
I love this book despite the fact that about half of it is steeped in serious suckiness. The fact is, at least for me, that the excellent bits in Time of the Twins are far more excellent than the excellent bits in the three Dragonlance books that preceded this one (and those books had some excellent bits), making Time of the Twins a favourite of mine.

Sucky Bits:
Sucky -- This story hinges on the corruption of the Kingpriest of Istar. The Kingpriest arrogantly (and weakly) calls on the gods to com
Chris
I've been a Dragonlance fan since 1988. While I've loved most of the books, the Twins(Caramon and Raistlin Majere) were never my favorite characters. Friends have always said that Legends is a better trilogy than Chronicles (which started it all and am on my fourth reread.)

I probably should have listened to them. The first book was fantastic.

Raistlin(a powerful mage of the black robes(evil) and younger of the Twins)is one of the most devious characters around. He doesn't let you down, in his
Elar
Book itself is worth 4 stars, but i really do not like the way author thinks that it is logical and normal to do heavy time travelling in this D&D series. For fantasy there should not be limits, but it just seems desperate, also execution in that kind of meld must be extra fine and here it is not.
Lindsay Scott
RAISTLIN! Imagine my glee when I learned as an overexcitable preteen girl that there was a whole trilogy of books that featured my favorite character. (And apparently everyone else's.) Oh how my girlhood trembled. lol I wish I were kidding.

If I went back and read these books now, I'm sure I would still enjoy them despite the fact that I now see them in a different light. Sure, they aren't original and they use just about every fantasy cliche there is. But it's not like I knew that when I first r
Christie
Dru
This will be my same review for all 7 books in the original double-trilogy (plus the 7th add on years later).

There are few D&D novelizations out there that are really worth reading. Only two series have I loved, and the original 6 (became 7) "Dragonlance" novels are one of those great series. (Gord the Rogue is the other).

At first when I read this, I was a bit put off because the "Krynn" world did not "agree" with D&D. The gods had different names (Bahamut = Paladine, Tiamut = Takhesis)
David
This is a fabulous tale and if you want to read any Dragonlance series, this is it. It’s a tale involving going back in time which is normally fraught with difficulty in writing a sensible plot. The authors’ do this amazingly well and this is a haunting tale. Characterisation is brilliant and fantasy fans will be enthralled by the main characters. Cameron and Raistlin are twins but more different twins you could not get. In this tale Cameron is a shadow of his former strength. Drink has brought ...more
I gave this book a 4, but I'm actually calling it a 4.5 because I absolutely devoured it. Fantasy books like this are my guilty pleasure, mainly because I feel like I should be spending my time reading "classics" and whatnot, but I had a blast diving back into the Dragonlance universe. I read some of the books when I was younger, and I'm ready to read some more!

I started with the Legends trilogy because, well... angsty brothers are my weakness. I remember loving Caramon and Raistlin and their co
evan
Continuing my re-read of the Dragonlance novels that I loved as a teenager. I remember liking Chronicles more than Legends: Legends, in same ways, is a more character driven, internal story rather than a grand adventure. I probably liked the grand adventure more as a kid.

I'm not sure how I feel about the first book in the series. In some ways the writing is better than that in chronicles (the authors have now written 4 books and you can see them improving as craftsmen) but at the same time, ther
Dylan
DragonLance: Chronicles and Legends are two trilogies that hold a really special place in my heart. So much so that I can't really divvy them up into separate reviews. I don't even think I could give an objective review of the books.

But if I know this: if I've had to replace a book from over-reading, that's amazing. I've had to replace these 6 books so many times that I keep spare copies around just in case. True story.

Chronicles Trilogy:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Drago
James Swenson
Raistlin is one of the great characters from the fantasy novels of my youth, and this is our chance to focus on him.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Small Review: My two favourite characters are on this book. Raistlin and Tassheloff. Caramon and Crysania are in it too. Interesting tale about the mind of Raistlin and the quest to rule the Abyss overthrowing Takhisis. This was the tale of Finstandituls and Raistlin travelled back in time to fulfilled it. Interesting tale.
Heather
It was great! I loved reading more about some of my favorite characters from the original trilogy. It was full of action and suspense and I never knew what to expect next. This was the first book in a trilogy and I will definitely be continuing with the series.
James
Jeff Yoak
It was fantastic to walk through this world again. This trilogy was one of those that inspired me to read for fun. I don't think I would be such a fan if I encountered it for the first time today, but as nostalgia, this is pure gold.
Jason
The Dragonlance series was a love of mine as a young teenager. They are one of the main reasons that I love fantasy so much today. These are the perfect young adult fantasy novels that are very well geared towards boys...

I loved them..
Bradley
Good old Raistlin and Caramon. I love the rich setting of the Dragonlance world. My gaming experience started in this wonderful setting ever so long ago. This tale is an excellent addition to this vibrant place. Kudos for this book!
Scott Kaelen
Time, War and Test of the Twins are, to me, the best that Weis & Hickman have ever written. They are to 'Chronicles' what Lord of the Rings was to The Hobbit.
The books are best read as one volume; I still have my original TSR 1987 omnibus hardback edition.
Each character is unique and memorable. Some, though, are a bit cliche and somewhat two-dimensional, but those particular roles are quite small in this trilogy. The twins, Caramon and Raistlin are the main stars here, especially Raistlin. A
Mike Chesterman
Raistlin is one of those unforgettable characters and it's great to see that the ever-strong writing partnership of Weis and Hickman has a strong and ongoing influence on their Dragonlance series. The twins Caramon and Raistlin share a strong brotherly bond but as well as being physically different as day and night, and in character, there is something unbreakable between their blood bond. I like reading about these two characters, not least because it reminds me that blood is thicker than water ...more
Sameen Elahi
You know what? I'm on a review hiatus but I feel compelled to write a review just for this book. It is 4:33 am and I need to review this specific book.

Time of the Twins has a way of outshining its dependence on tropes and corny dialogue. I don't know how it happened, but this book somehow transcends itself in a way that is nothing short of enchanting. You love it like you love an easy chair after a long day or a favorite episode you've seen a thousand times. Sometimes you realize what's happeni
DavidO
Way better than a book which was designed to sell D&D modules should be.
Alexandre
Um livro bastante diferente de As Crônicas de Dragonlance. Menos personagens, menos ação e menos qualidade.
Trata-se da busca de poder de Raistlin Majere e o esforço para detê-lo.
O objetivo de Raistlin é simples, mas o plano é mirabolante e nenhum outro personagem é páreo para seu jogo, não porque suas artimanhas são coesas, mas porque os autores querem assim. Isso soa fraco. Por outro lado, pode ser porque Caramon e Crysania se preocupam com ele demais, pelo menos no começo.
O melhor é Tasslehoff
Kevinjwoods
I first read this when it came out and was interested to see if it would still be enjoyable 30 years later.
It is still quite enjoyable and is a good enjoyable read for the fantasy fan interested in what people were reading back between all the times when Tolkien was popular, after Moorcock stopped making really short novels, and before it became possible for popular culture to admit that yes you could possibly have sex and know the difference between a dwarf, a kender, and a hobbit, and chainmai
Ana Elena
La Guerra de la Lanza ha terminado, y la Oscuridad ha desaparecido. ¿O tal vez no? Porque hay quien ansía reinstaurarla en Krynn. Raistlin, el mago de los ojos como relojes de arena, quiere ser más poderoso que su Reina de la Oscuridad y propagar el Mal en el mundo. El hechicero goza de un desmesurado poder porque Fistandan tilus, el archimago más perverso del orbe, se ha encarnado en él. Sólo dos personas pueden detener a Raistlin. Una es Crysania, una bella sacerdotisa, Hija venerable de Palad ...more
Anderson Tiago
Houve uma época em que a quantidade de títulos de fantasia disponíveis no Brasil era limitadíssima. Isso ficou bem evidente, principalmente, após o grande sucesso da trilogia de filmes “O Senhor dos Anéis”, que levou muitas pessoas à obra literária, porém, após devorá-la, o leitor acabava ficando sem opções de leitura dentro do estilo.

Eu fui um desses leitores que ansiavam por mergulhar mais uma vez em um mundo fantástico, mas não encontrava um caminho para empreender essa jornada. Até que, ao e
Blair
At some point later, perhaps I'll rant on about how much I love this series - at least the early Hickman-Weis core narrative. (The first 6 books, plus a later seventh, about 10 years later.) So much of it might be mired in nostalgia and newness; it was the first true adult fantasy stuff I had ever read. I was 11 years old. I got fully immersed. The characters are so compelling, from archmage Raistlin (perhaps the best fantasy character of all time, up there with Drizzt D'Ourden) all they way dow ...more
Sam
So, the continuation of the Dragonlance story, and another trilogy I haven't read in many years and can remember virtually nothing about. Actually, re-reading this one, I find I prefer it to the original trilogy. The authors (sensibly, I think) trimmed down the number of main characters, so here we have only the already-familiar Raistlin, Caramon and Tasslehoff, along with the new cleric, Crysania. The first three are fairly much unchanged—Caramon is still a big lummox, Raistlin is still slightl ...more
Libby
Aug 30, 2012 Libby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any ready of Fantasy
Recommended to Libby by: The publisher, directly
Shelves: 03-fantasy
This book--the entire series--completely redeems the DragonLance Chronicles series to me. All the depth of character and considerate thought about their circumstances which are glaringly absent in the other books finally appear in this novel.

Perhaps part of the reasons why is because we finally get to narrow down our focus to fewer characters, so that means each character gets more "screen time" as it were. In addition, the topic of "evil people trying to take over the world" in the Chronicles
Lauren
The "Time of the Twins" is a wonderful new book that takes palce in the world of Krynn. It's a great new start to what promises to be an exciting new series. The "Time of the Twins" has a well written story, introduces us to new characters, and even brings back old favorites from "The Dragonlance" series. This series promises to settle the questions readers have about the twins from "The Dragonlance" series, and to finally settle their brotherly dispute. I recommend this book to anyone who like ...more
  • Night of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #1)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2)
  • The Medusa Plague (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #2)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #1)
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: Legends (3 books)
  • War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2) Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)

“I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumble in my presence... But I bow in the presence of a master.

-- Lord Soth to Raistlin Majere”
19 likes
“Rule the world," Raistlin repeated softly, his eyes burning. "Rule the world? You still don't undestand, do you, my dear sister? Let me make this as plain as I know how." Now it was his turn to stand up. Pressing his thin hands upon the desk, he leaned towards her, like a snake.
"I don't give damn about the world!" he said softly. "I could rule it tomorrow, if I wanted it! I don't.”
5 likes