Start by marking “Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2)” as Want to Read:
Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2)

Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson #2)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  10,489 Ratings  ·  523 Reviews
No one ever paid attention to the faces of missing children on milk cartons. But as Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the little girl who had been taken twelve years ago, she recognized that little girl--it was herself.

The mystery of the kidnapping is unraveled, but the nightmare is not over. The Spring family wants justice, but who is to blame? It's difficult to figure
Published September 1st 1994 by Laurel Leaf Library (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Happened to Janie?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever Happened to Janie?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Must Read YA Fiction!
356th out of 1,625 books — 2,707 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
100 in 2009
30th out of 162 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Carly
Jun 03, 2015 Carly added it

"What normal decent person swaps families as easily as a pair of ice skates?" says fifteen year old Janie Johnson, or should I say Jennie Springs. In the first book, The Face On the Milk Carton, Janie recognizes her face on a milk carton as a three year old girl who was taken from a mall in New Jersey twelve years ago. She finds out that her parents are really her adoptive parents and Janie Johnson was kidnapped before she even met the Johnson's. So who's to blame? It's Hannah. Hannah Javensen,
Shannon
Dec 13, 2007 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-books
I don't remember what happened to Janie, but knowing Caroline B. Cooney , it was something excessively dramatic.
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Seeing this one through my adult eye-view, it's a little bit easier to empathize with Janie. As a kid, I thought she was such an ungrateful brat. And seriously, when they contacted her birth family in the last book, what did she think was going to happen? They were going to tell the Johnsons, whose daughter Hannah KIDNAPPED HER from them, "Yeah, we don't want her back. You can keep the daughter who was kidnapped from the shopping center at age 3. We have four other kids, we know you'll love and ...more
Brianna Tinsley
Oct 21, 2013 Brianna Tinsley rated it it was amazing
Three-year-old Jennie Spring was kidnapped by the daughter of the Javenson family. The Johnson family who was originally the Javenson’s renamed Jennie to Janie Spring. Janie has been told she is allergic to milk so she never paid much attention to milk, but one day at school she takes her friend, Sarah-Charlotte, milk carton and discovers the missing little girl’s face and believes that it could be her possibly. She doesn’t believe it at first and thinks it might be a mistake but then she starts ...more
Jen
Apr 21, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
In some ways, this is actually better than the first book, The Face on the Milk Carton. Janie's been told she has to go live with her birth family, and this opens up the delightfully awful complexity of what family really is. Being a person who staunchly opposes the idea that "family" only means the people who share your DNA, I really like that Cooney took the time to examine this. Your blood family will always be a part of who are you, even if you haven't known them most of your life, but they ...more
rivka
Jan 30, 2011 rivka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book.

The first one was about finding answers to mysteries. This one is about finding a different kind of answers. Answers to things like "what now?" and "how do we go on?"

Questions that never have simple answers.

And this book doesn't pretend the answers are easy, and presents real people, who are awful to each other even when they are trying hard not to be.
Nancy Chaffin
Apr 24, 2010 Nancy Chaffin rated it liked it
Overview: The book begins with an account of the anguish and fear the Spring family suffered as they dealt with the kidnapping of their daughter. The police were unable to find any trace of the little girl and the entire family suffered and grieved for twelve years.

In another part of the country, Janie Johnson discovered a picture of a missing girl on the cover of a milk carton and realized it was her face. She wrestled with the knowledge and finally revealed the truth to her boyfriend. After co
Aimee
Janie is now living with the Springs, her biological family. She didn't want to because she sees Frank and Miranda Johnson as her parents, even though their daughter kidnapped her and then left her with them. Janie was forced to move back into the Springs house because she is still a minor.

This would be a horrible situation to be in. In New Jersey is your biological family, whose lives were torn apart twice. Once when you were taken and a second time when you come back. But is your return every
Georgia K
Dec 13, 2012 Georgia K rated it it was amazing
I gave four stars to the first one, this one managed to blow me away.
After contacting her real parents, Janie is sent to live with them without contacting home for at least three months. Once there, she is nothing like they expected. Everyone expected her to be happy to be back, instead she acts depressed and wants her old parents back. Her real parents, the Springs, try to compromise, but the problem is the little things like apple juice instead of orange juice in the morning and being expected
Shally Clark
Jun 22, 2010 Shally Clark rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers and lovers of YA literature
Summary: This is the sequel to The Face on the Milk Carton. It is what happens to Janie after she finds out everything she does about her parents, where she came from and where she feels like she belongs. It is a big test for Janie to she what she really wants as her life has been turned upside-down. She has to grow up fast as she faces the reality of what happens. It is a book about her reaction and she treats those that love her. She has to choose what she really wants while she has pressures ...more
Jeanie
May 20, 2013 Jeanie rated it really liked it
Whatever Happened to Janie is the continuation of a young girl finding out that she was kidnapped at 3 years old. You go thru her emotions of leaving the only family she ever knew to coming back to the family that missed and thought the worst of what happened to Janie. I liked the second one so much better. It shows the struggles of all families that we may never think about. It was a story that reasonated with me in that my parents divorced at a young age and I went to live with my dad. I did ...more
Bookhoarder
Jul 15, 2015 Bookhoarder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, this-year
Where first book lacked in dynamics this one nailed it.From the first few chapters it was so emotional and intense I didn't believe it was written by the same person. I have a feeling that if this two were in one peace it would be so much more read than it is.
I will think oof every person who meets Janie and her Connecticut family and doesn't die inside at the beginning of the book as a robot.A metal,cruel,programmed machine.
And I'm still dealing with the fact that I get more emotional over boo
sh(e)reader
Jun 07, 2015 sh(e)reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I finished book one, I did feel compelled to continue on. As the title states, I the reader DID wonder "whatever happened to Janie". It was an interesting, and sad, read. Just a happy/sad situation, imaginary as it was.

I think I liked this book better than the first. There wasn't as much random thoughts from Janie (which rubbed me wrong in the first book). There was much more closure to this book, than book one as well. I might have been happy calling it quits here, but a short portion of th
Erica
Mar 14, 2016 Erica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It probably didn't help that I read this out of order, but I thought it was just a stand alone novel. The main character is moody and dramatic, which got annoying quickly. Instead of being happy over being with her really family she is a constant state of indecision about going back to the kidnappers or staying. This book got boring very quickly and I found myself struggling to read this. Would not recommend.
Karschtl
Just good that I had this second part of the series as well, cause after I finished the first book I wanted to know what happenend after Jamie finally called her real parents.

The feeling of homesickness was understandable for me, I've lived in a 'foreign' family for a year as well - and it's just different from being really home.

But I think they could have found a compromise where both families would have been happier. But it's just a book after all.
Traci Haley
I think I actually liked this book better than the first in the series. The first one is a classic and wonderfully written... but Caroline Cooney never reveals what really happens to Janie... that story is reserved for this book. I think it was well done and realistically written and I'm thoroughly enjoying re-reading these books.
Jessica
Apr 22, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
As the sequel to The Face on The Milk Carton, this book continues the story of Janie Johnson, who one day sees her face on the side of a milk carton, and next to it, MISSING. This book was equally as good as the first, and anyone who has already read the Face on The Milk Carton knows that it is impossible NOT to read the sequel!
Alberto Balderas
Sep 10, 2016 Alberto Balderas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 24
I'll be honest, I liked the first part better.

Although it was interesting to see the transition from Janie to Jennie, I found this book to be lacking a bit on the mystery side. Whereas the first book ended in a twist, this one just ended on a note. I wish the third one gets more interesting!
Amanda
Oct 10, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and the conflicting sides of the two families. I'm looking forward to reading more about how everyone evolves and grows in the next books.
Melissa
Mar 23, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
It was a really good book especially if you liked the first book.
Jenna Jakubowski
Aug 04, 2015 Jenna Jakubowski rated it it was amazing
This book is so good I could read it everyday!!
Emani  H.
Aug 11, 2011 Emani H. rated it it was amazing
AMAZING
Emily McConnell
Nov 23, 2016 Emily McConnell rated it it was ok
Well, this book was about what I expected. Again the mystery was good and I enjoyed how realistic Janie/Jennie's reactions were. The family interactions were spot on, I could really feel for all the characters. I'd say as far as mystery goes this book wasn't as intriguing, but still a good read and a good sequel.

It had by far less sexual innuendos and references compared to the first book, but enough I wouldn't advise this for anyone who considers that against their moral beliefs. To be honest,
Lisa
Nov 29, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery Goes On

Wow! So many emotions; sadness, anger, hatred, love, hurt, mistrust, broken heartedness, joy, happiness, peace, content, confusion, etc. One could never imagine what it would be like to be Jennie/Janie, Reeves, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Spring, Stephen or Jodie, Brian and Brendan, friends or neighbors. Once again I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.
These reads are technically geared toward young adult or teen readers. I'm 55 and truly enjoy them. I don
Zoe
I've listened to the first two books in this series on audiobook, thanks to my daughter Emma. The writing is intensely psychological and tends to go on and on, sometimes with the unwanted effect of feeling persecuted by the narrator's voice. I couldn't help admiring the details, though, and wondering how the author got so perfectly into the heads of the characters. For anyone in a family of adoption, this book series will hit home in an unsettling way. No spoilers there!
Cortney
Nov 30, 2016 Cortney rated it really liked it
Whatever Happened to Janie? By Caroline B. Cooney was so much better than the first book The Face on the Milk Carton. There are so many strengths of this book. For one I could feel the emotion that Janie had felt. I could feel her crying and It made me want to cry. The impact that this book has on the reader is breathe taking. Cooney has incredible creative mind and I can’t wait to to read the rest of the series.
Madison Budde
Nov 04, 2016 Madison Budde rated it really liked it
Mallory Lyon
Nov 20, 2016 Mallory Lyon rated it it was amazing
What if you found your face posted as missing? What would you do? That is the life of Janie Johnston or should I say Jennie Spring. As the nightmare continues Janie's life begins to spiral out of control. What will she do?
Tali
Nov 17, 2016 Tali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st-quarter
I think this book was an excellent sequel to The Face on the Milk Carton, because it shows that Janie really did love both of her families.
Lola
Oct 20, 2016 Lola rated it it was amazing
Reread this year. Loved it.
want 2 know more 8 40 Apr 24, 2013 09:00AM
  • The Third Eye
  • Slam Book
  • POD's
  • Who Killed Mr. Boddy? (Clue, #1)
  • Greater Than Angels
  • The Dark and Deadly Pool
  • There's a Girl in My Hammerlock
  • Snail Mail, No More (Elizabeth and Tara*Starr, #2)
  • Shadows in the Water (Starbuck Family Adventure, #2)
  • Through Glass, Episode Four (Through Glass, #4)
  • Twisted Summer
  • Swallowing Stones
  • Don't You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey
  • Lizzie McGuire: The Orchids and Gumbo Poker Club
  • All the Days of Her Life (One Last Wish, #10)
  • Melusine
  • Izzy, Willy-Nilly
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...

Janie Johnson (6 books)
  • The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1)
  • The Voice on the Radio (Janie Johnson, #3)
  • What Janie Found (Janie Johnson, #4)
  • What Janie Saw (Janie Johnson, #4.5)
  • Janie Face to Face (Janie Johnson, #5)