Start by marking “Public Radio: Behind the Voices” as Want to Read:
Public Radio: Behind the Voices

Public Radio: Behind the Voices

An avid fan of public radio, Phillips was driven to know more about the people who deliver the news, the conversation, and the diverse programs that she and millions of others rely on every day. The result is Public Radio: Behind the Voices, a collection of personal stories from more than forty of the most listened to voices in public radio, including Noah Adams, Susan Sta ...more
Published April 18th 2006 by Vanguard Press

To ask other readers questions about Public Radio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Public Radio

Nancy
Feb 24, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
This is more of a book to skip through than to read every page. For the record, I read about 75%, focusing mostly on those hosts I have heard.

If you've ever wondered who is behind the voices you have heard on NPR, this book gives you a short introduction to over 40 of them. Most of the bios are just 6 to 8 pages so there really isn't room for much more than a resume and an anecdote or two.

The few bios that are over 10 pages long (Michael Feldman and Marian McPartland are in this class) are inter
Lucas Johnson
Jan 30, 2016 Lucas Johnson rated it it was ok
A few tidbits of good gossip mixed with biographies so short they could appear as a sidebar on NPR's website. Ultimately, the author was too ambitious in trying to profile everyone on public radio. I'm not sure that this effort was necessary. Maybe I'm the only one who this occurs to, but all this "national treasure" business just makes me think of bad Nicholas Cage movies.
Terry
Jan 14, 2008 Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Well, I say I liked this book, but really, it kind of depressed me. I shouldn't have read it. Some of my favorite people come across like jerks! Oh well. (I did meet Noah Adams once at BookExpo and he was very charming; didn't seem as morbidly shy as this book makes him out to be.) (Like how I name-dropped there?) Also in the Introduction the author sounds a tiny bit as if she has a bit of an ax to grind...she seems a bit bitter about the people who "declined" to be included, or be interviewed, ...more
Brent
Charming profiles of the usual suspects of this fine cast of characters... Page 22: "But, once having left the [TV] medium, he [Schorr] worried about where his career would go. "Once when I went with my family to dinner, somebody was coming through the revolving door the other way and then went all the way around again in order to come out where I was, and he said to me, "Excuse me, didn't you used to be Daniel Schorr?" he said. "It drove home to me the effect of television-that if you're not on ...more
Leanna
Jul 19, 2007 Leanna rated it it was amazing
I admit to being a complete NPR, PRI, APR junkie so this non-fiction book of interviews is an excellent glimpse behind the microphone of the voices who form our information world in public radio. Lots of surprises -- it turns out their is a LOT of intermarrying in the NPR world -- plus the scoop on how this committed journalists approach and were introduced to their craft. An excellent read!
Michele
Jul 27, 2008 Michele rated it really liked it
I love NPR and although I already knew a little about a few of my favorite personalities, I was intrigued by their stories and others who I wasn't familiar with. If you love any show on NPR you should read this book. I was disappointed that my favorites chose not to be interviewed, but I suppose they are entitled to their privacy as much as the next person.
Damon
Mar 24, 2008 Damon rated it really liked it
I'm an NPR junkie. I admit it. I do, however, have a rule about it. I don't want to see their faces. I've already made up in my mind what they all look like and what they are like in their private lives. Don't screw with that made up world. I am, however, fascinated by their biographies and how they came to be where they are today.
Jack Cheng
You'd have to be a real NPR nerd to enjoy this book; on the flipside, if you're already an NPR nerd, you probably know most of this stuff anyway. These mini-biographies are not at all critical and read like the mini-bios on the NPR websites with a few more quotes.
Steven Spector
Aug 27, 2013 Steven Spector rated it really liked it
An impressive collection of NPR broadcaster bios. Those who have not passed away since publication appear to be in a similar age range. One wonders who the new "young lions" of public radio are and when the heck are we going to hear them?
Christopher
Sep 05, 2007 Christopher rated it liked it
i loved reading about one of my favorite things npr. while the information was all good and interesting, it was not written as well as it could have been. maybe Elton John or Beethoven could have written it better. MAYBE!
Anna
Dec 31, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good introductions, but often too much filler that didn't speak to the essence of the subject.
Stephanie
Jul 21, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
A must-read for any public radio junkie. You will not be dissappointed (although, perhaps surprised at what your favorite radio personalities look like in real life).
Aug 09, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Provocative! I just love learning the more unique stories of my favorite public radio personalities.
Michelle
Jun 14, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Gina
An interesting read about the voices and personalities behind familiar npr voices.
Lplencner
Aug 03, 2011 Lplencner rated it liked it
How terrific to put stories to the voices I have been listening to for years.
Cindy
Mar 22, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
It was fun to learn more about the voices I hear so often on NPR.
Julie
May 08, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Quick short biographies of NPR personalities and hosts.
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: NPR fans
Shelves: finish-someday
A must read for any regular NPR listener.
Cindy
Jun 22, 2012 Cindy rated it it was ok
D R Y
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Ian R
Ian R rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Amanda Lorentz
Amanda Lorentz rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
Jan 16, 2016
Emma Diercks
Emma Diercks marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015