Start by marking “The Story Bible” as Want to Read:
The Story Bible

The Story Bible

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  8 reviews

The beloved author of The Good Earth, one of the world's greatest literary masterpieces, viewed both the Old and New Testaments as glorious stories to be read and reread through the generations.

The Story Bible is a stunning accomplishment from a great writer. The Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning author took seventy-two major 'stories' and retold them in the language of tod

Published July 7th 1997 by Grammercy (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Story Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Bible

Su B
She tells the stories in a beautiful way, appropriate for children while still being interesting and thorough for adults. A cherished book in my job as educator. Highly recommend it to others who want to introduce their children to the stories, without going through the Torah/Bible initially. (Meaning: the beget, beget, beget, while truly important, is trimmed back to something more easily disgusted.)
Mandy Bardsley
Excellent Pearl Buck prose and very accessible. It omits some of the Bible's more questionable moments, however, leaving out for example the scene where Lot's daughters get him drunk and rape him. I had hoped for a beautiful and faithful adaptation and am a bit disappointed.
Jessica
I didn't actually finish this book, but I'm not sure when we'll get around to the rest, so I'll go ahead and review it.

I love Pearl S. Buck--she wrote The Good Earth, one of my all-time favorites. Written in chapters, she covers the lives of the prophets of the Bible in such a way that children and youth can understand. We read the Book of Mormon every day, so this was a nice way for me to share stories from the Bible as well. Some of what she writes is not exactly accurate, but it's not far off
BOBBI
This book really puts some of the stories of the bible into layman's terms. It helped me to get a clearer understanding of some parts that I had interpreted in other ways or just did not understand.
Debbie  Dourte
This was the book that made reading the Bible make sense to me. Just the way she told the stories made them seem more like things that happened to real people.
Nessy Dimitrova
This is one of the most interesting books I have read. And yes it really was lifechanging. It will be a sin not to give it 5 stars.
Catherine  Mustread
Retelling of the stories of the Old Testament in the language of today.
John
Bao An
Bao An added it
Dec 19, 2014
Sj Encarnacion
Sj Encarnacion is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Rossen
Rossen marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Changyun
Changyun marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Angel Manev
Angel Manev marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Blue
Blue marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Book
Book marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Alyse
Alyse added it
Aug 03, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck (1892–1973) was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to t ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...
The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1) Pavilion of Women Imperial Woman Peony Sons (House of Earth, #2)