Start by marking “Good Dog” as Want to Read:
Good Dog
Preview

Good Dog

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this heart-stealing picture book, fine artist Robert Rahway Zakanitch gives us 16 masterful, soulful, impossibly expressive portraits of dogs, and Maya Gottfried wonderfully captures their voices and inner personalities in 16 enchanting poems. It’s a doggie delight!

These dogs beg to be patted, tickled, scratched, and ruffled. Which one will be your best friend?
Published January 8th 2008 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Good Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Dog

babyhippoface
Dog lovers will revel in this book of poems written from a dog’s point of view. Each two-page spread focuses on a specific breed and features a full-page painting of a dog on the right, pencil sketches and free verse on the left. The illustrations greatly enhance the text, giving the reader a concrete image to accompany each poem. The real charm of Good Dog, however, is found in the look inside the perceived thoughts of the dogs, as each breed’s personality is delightfully captured. Images of ge ...more
Michelle Rosales
This is a wonderful book of poetry. These poems are some what comedic because they give the dogs a voice. Each poem is specifically designed to the personalities of the types of dogs. On of my favorite is the poem about the Maltese. It describes how the owner is in a sense married to the dog because the Maltese personality requires a lot of maintenance and care. The beautiful paintings by Robert Zakanitch bring the poems to life and also give the reader a clear picture of the personalities of th ...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Full page, personality-packed portraits, deceptively adorable sketched studies and frank, enthusiastic poems reveal the charm and distinct characters of sixteen beguiling breeds in this irresistible celebration of spunky, demanding, affectionate, rambunctious, cantankerous, lovable dogs.

Listen to our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Mrs.
Feb 04, 2011 Mrs. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I love this book of poetry. The book is a book of poems about several variety of dogs. Each poems is complimented with a matching painting of each dog. Each poem has simple pencil drawing as well of the dog in black and white. The poem speaks of each dogs personality. If read aloud with matching voice the text comes alive to students.
Each of the poems in this book are about a different dog breed. Words that specifically define each breed are in the lines, making for some very special poems. It is easy to hear each dog's unique voice. I can't wait to use this in the classroom. The paintings and the sketches inside are also very lovely.
Randall
A dog wags his tale in front of the reader in poems and even memos. Funny stuff. Such as this: “I feel terrible about chewing on your custom-made leather shoes. Though, they were on the floor.” I think it works better for adults than for kids—and is, again, one of those books missing the kid’s perspective.
Allison Vaughan
A fantastic collection of poetry. I use this book with my students to teach Voice. I show them a PowerPoint with pictures of the different dog breeds, read the poems without showing them the illustrations and ask them to infer which dog is "speaking".
Allen Eggleston
This book of poems does a great job connecting simple yet cute poetry in a manner In which young dog lovers could appreciate. Each illustration depicts an action of the poem in which is being told from the dogs point of view.
Kari
While reading this book Skylar told me that she wanted one of each of these dogs: Westie, Chihuahua, Corgi, pug, Boston terrier, and Scottie. yikes!
Reba
Each poem in this book is told from the perspective of a different dog. The pictures of the dogs are adorable.
Whitney
Nice introduction to poetry. I like how well it gives these dogs a personality. Art is not my favorite.
Karen
Just ok--nothing inspiring or new. Did not care for some of the poetry.
Kelsy
Kelsy added it
Mar 26, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Pinar
Pinar marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Judy Saunders
Judy Saunders marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Milton
Milton marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Meghan
Meghan added it
Jun 17, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014