Start by marking “Good Dog” as Want to Read:
Good Dog

Good Dog

In this heart-stealing picture book, fine artist Robert Rahway Zakanitch gives us 16 masterful, soulful, impossibly expressive portraits of dogs, and Maya Gottfried wonderfully captures their voices and inner personalities in 16 enchanting poems. It’s a doggie delight!

These dogs beg to be patted, tickled, scratched, and ruffled. Which one will be your best friend?
Published January 8th 2008 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Good Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Dog

Kimberly Sabatini
Feb 20, 2016 Kimberly Sabatini rated it it was amazing
My son absolutely loved this book and I can't stop looking at the gorgeous illustrations. Dog fun for everyone!
Alissa Parker
Apr 26, 2016 Alissa Parker rated it it was amazing
Title: Good Dog
Author: Maya Gottfried
Illustrator: Robert Rahway Zakanitch
Genre: Poetry
Theme(s): Dogs
Opening line/sentence: Sit Stay Fetch Heel Lie down Roll Over Shake hands Speak
Brief Book Summary: Each dog breed has it’s own poem. Each poem describes characteristics of what the dog breed is like and what the dog might be thinking.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Midwest Book Review (Children's Bookwatch, June 2006)
Maya Gottfried's Good Dog deserves ongoing mention as a special story wit
babyhippoface
Dog lovers will revel in this book of poems written from a dog’s point of view. Each two-page spread focuses on a specific breed and features a full-page painting of a dog on the right, pencil sketches and free verse on the left. The illustrations greatly enhance the text, giving the reader a concrete image to accompany each poem. The real charm of Good Dog, however, is found in the look inside the perceived thoughts of the dogs, as each breed’s personality is delightfully captured. Images of ge ...more
Michelle Rosales
Jun 22, 2012 Michelle Rosales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
This is a wonderful book of poetry. These poems are some what comedic because they give the dogs a voice. Each poem is specifically designed to the personalities of the types of dogs. On of my favorite is the poem about the Maltese. It describes how the owner is in a sense married to the dog because the Maltese personality requires a lot of maintenance and care. The beautiful paintings by Robert Zakanitch bring the poems to life and also give the reader a clear picture of the personalities of th ...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jan 17, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Full page, personality-packed portraits, deceptively adorable sketched studies and frank, enthusiastic poems reveal the charm and distinct characters of sixteen beguiling breeds in this irresistible celebration of spunky, demanding, affectionate, rambunctious, cantankerous, lovable dogs.

Listen to our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Mrs.
Feb 04, 2011 Mrs. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I love this book of poetry. The book is a book of poems about several variety of dogs. Each poems is complimented with a matching painting of each dog. Each poem has simple pencil drawing as well of the dog in black and white. The poem speaks of each dogs personality. If read aloud with matching voice the text comes alive to students.
Randall
A dog wags his tale in front of the reader in poems and even memos. Funny stuff. Such as this: “I feel terrible about chewing on your custom-made leather shoes. Though, they were on the floor.” I think it works better for adults than for kids—and is, again, one of those books missing the kid’s perspective.
Each of the poems in this book are about a different dog breed. Words that specifically define each breed are in the lines, making for some very special poems. It is easy to hear each dog's unique voice. I can't wait to use this in the classroom. The paintings and the sketches inside are also very lovely.
Allen Eggleston
Oct 21, 2013 Allen Eggleston rated it really liked it
This book of poems does a great job connecting simple yet cute poetry in a manner In which young dog lovers could appreciate. Each illustration depicts an action of the poem in which is being told from the dogs point of view.
Allison Vaughan
Dec 06, 2012 Allison Vaughan rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection of poetry. I use this book with my students to teach Voice. I show them a PowerPoint with pictures of the different dog breeds, read the poems without showing them the illustrations and ask them to infer which dog is "speaking".
Karen
Sep 13, 2011 Karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Just ok--nothing inspiring or new. Did not care for some of the poetry.
Whitney
Jan 27, 2010 Whitney rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Nice introduction to poetry. I like how well it gives these dogs a personality. Art is not my favorite.
Kari
Apr 12, 2010 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
While reading this book Skylar told me that she wanted one of each of these dogs: Westie, Chihuahua, Corgi, pug, Boston terrier, and Scottie. yikes!
Reba
Jun 12, 2012 Reba rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Each poem in this book is told from the perspective of a different dog. The pictures of the dogs are adorable.
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2017
Laurie Williams
Laurie Williams rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Alathea
Alathea rated it really liked it
May 06, 2011
Lynn Moon
Lynn Moon rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2009
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Pamela Green
Pamela Green rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Jennifer Silverman
Jennifer Silverman rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2009
Yunuhen
Yunuhen rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2014
Gwen
Gwen rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015