Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!

Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,098 ratings  ·  150 reviews
Some people just won't take the hint when it's time to go to bed, but Marvin K. Mooney eventually gets the message!

By combing the funniest stories, craziest creatures and zaniest pictures with his unique blend of rhyme, rhythm and repetition, Dr. Seuss helps children of all ages and abilities learn to read.
Published August 4th 2003 by Random House (first published August 12th 1971)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for three-year-old children
72nd out of 244 books — 198 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Kids Books Ever
234th out of 607 books — 386 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
Not the best Seuss out there. Tried to read this to my daughter last month, but she kept trying to shut the book. As another reviewer mentioned, the whole 'story' seems a little rude and pointless.

However, I have to admit that there are a few kids in my neighborhood who have that Marvin K. Mooney feel to them.
There is this one kid that I literally have to force out of my house! Gah! Is it so wrong of me to expect other parents to eventually come get their kid?! Set a time limit people! How woul...more
Derek
My son is at a building-vocabulary age: he points at objects, grunting inarticulately and looking expectantly at the nearest adult. If the name isn't too complex he'll repeat it back to you in mangled form. Dr. Seuss books tend to the problematic as far as this noble pursuit goes. They're filled with weird things not normally found in the real world, forcing me to either feed my son's tender, melonlike head with nonsense and hope that what I put in there will never, ever backfire ("Yes, son, tha...more
midnightfaerie
Another great Dr. Seuss. My 5 yr old reads this level 1 reading book to his younger brothers and loves the rhyming. While my 3 yr old twins love repeating the strict admonishment for Marvin to leave! The pictures are always fun and spark innovation for new creations such as Ga-Zoom made out of Legos. A big favorite in our house.
Shelly
I've had this book for years, but just recently re-read it. It was great as a kid, but as an adult it's not for as great as I remember. One of the reasons I so love Dr. Seuss is because his books are funny, silly, zany - and they sometimes make a really good point in such a sneaky way that kids don't even really realize they are learning to be better by being like Yertle the Turtle or Horton. This one - not so much. No real point to it, which is fine, but the yelling at the character Marvin to G...more
jacky
People are always shocked when I say I haven't read Green Eggs and Ham. Instead, I read this one. It is the same kind of set up where Marvin is asked to go away all different ways that rhyme. I used to read this at my doctor's office.

I was just reading a review of Yertle the Turtle (which is one I"m not sure I read), and it said that this is about Nixon! Wow, I need to read this as an adult!
Suzanne
One of my husband's favorites to read to our kids. They knew all the lines by heart and could fill in the verse. Alwyas wondered what Marvin did that warranted the wish for him to leave.
Shannon The Show Stopper
Marvin K Mooney will probably be the last name I remember when I'm old! LOL
Kathleen Dixon
This isn't one of my children's books that I always think "Oh, I love that book", but despite that, every time I read it I enjoy it thoroughly. It has all the usual quirky Dr Seuss things - strange vehicles, odd animals, super-short phrases, and easy rhymes.

It also has one of those story endings that catch you unprepared - there's poor Marvin being told in no uncertain terms that he has to go (NOW), throughout which he looks completely unfazed, and then off he goes without a murmur. Wonderful!

I...more
babyhippoface
It's time for Marvin to go. But he's just standing there. So the narrator goes to great lengths to tell Marvin all the ways he could leave, and he doesn't even care which one he chooses, just as long as he GOES!

I read this to PreK when they're learning about transportation. They just like the parts where the narrator yells, "GO!" :)

My favorite bit of trivia about this book: Dr. Seuss himself, Ted Geisel, once marked out the name "Marvin K. Mooney" throughout a copy of the book and replaced it wi...more
Sarah Sammis
Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! by Dr. Seuss was published a year before I was born. I probably had it read to me but beyond the funny dog eared Marvin and the pointing fingers on the cover, that's all I remember from those early years. I'm now reading it to my children.

Like Cat in the Hat, Marvin K. Mooney.. uses a limited vocabulary and a rhyming scheme to be easy but fun to read. The book is full of intense emotion and lots of shouting which lends itself to overly theatrical performa...more
Liz
Week 6: Favorite Dr. Seuss book

Marvin K. Mooney is asked to go but he will not budget. He is given various options but he ignores that all. It isn't until Marvin decides on his that it is time to go, that he goes.

"Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now" is appropriate for ages 3+.

"Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now" and "Go Dog Dog" were the first two books that I learned to read, perhaps that is why this has always been my favorite Dr. Seuss book. The illustrations in this book are dire...more
Paula Heller
This a silly book for any child who loves to smile and laugh. The book shows children how to have an open mind and teaches them that anything is possible through imagination. They will enjoy listening to all the different ways the character, Mooney, is asked to leave a place. The book is also filled with colorful illustrations and rhyming words.

Sarah Federspiel
This is another one of the Dr. Seuss classics that introduces children to basic forms of poetry. In the story, an individual tells Marvin K. Mooney to go away in a variety of different ways. I would like to use this book in my future classroom as a tool to introduce poetry that is both clever and engaging enough for young students.
Eleanor West
The time has come and Marvin K. Mooney is told to ‘go now!’. He can go by foot or by hat, by Zike-Bike or Zumble-Zay, no one cares how as long as he gets! Soon Marvin K. Mooney got the message and went.

Written in the classic Dr.Suess style, ‘Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now!’ is fun, quirky and creative. The images are vibrant and imaginative. This book would be a great source for teaching reading skills to KS1 and EAL pupils as its poetic style provides a strong utensil for teaching rhym...more
Elizabeth Brown
I would use this book for a social emotional discussion. For example, if some one is bothering you or if you just don't feel like being bothered, you could ask them nicely to go away. The rhyming words are what makes this good a good literature book.
Keren
Great Dr. Seuss classic. It has all the usual quirky Dr Seuss things - strange vehicles, odd animals, super-short phrases, and easy rhymes. A fun, quick read for little ones and beginning readers. I just can't help to wonder WHY... Marvin K. Mooney had to leave.
Jacqueline Gary
This is not one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. This book does not have a point to it. It just keeps telling Marvin to get out. This book in my opinion is not teaching children to be kind to one another.
Yohan Choi
* A book has a good contents and rhyming that children can learn. It wasn't a short story to young readers can read, but its colorful illustration will absorb the young readers' eyes.
Rima Aroutiounian
Great rhyming fun story from Dr. Seuss for kindergartners and also for toddlers too. Big letters, rhyming that will help with phonological awareness and print motivation.
Andd Becker
It is weird that the reader does not know who Marvin K. Mooney is, or who is telling him to go, or why.
There is a long list of ways for Marvin to go: on skates, on skis, in a hat, by bike, on a Zike-Bike, in an old blue shoe, on stilts, by fish, in a crunk-car, by lion's tail, by mail (after stamping self), in a Zumble-Zay, by balloon, by broomstick, by camel in a bureau drawer, by Bumble-Boat, by jet, by Ga-Zoom.
Without the author telling the reader what precipitates the departure, or how th...more
Laurie
Annette Taylor-james
It is very repetitive with emphasis on the words you guessed it please go now. Showing and telling him the different ways he could go. Kind of funny.
Chantana
Classic book indeed with great illustrations. The rhyming is outstanding and one could teach on the rhyming content alone.
Heather Torgersen
This is such a funny story by Dr. Seuss that I have actually never heard of until a recent visit to Barnes and Nobles. Though it's a really funny story, I sometimes feel bad for Marvin that someone wants to banish him so bad! I would probably be sensitive to reading this to students in a large group setting if I knew one of my children was having some sort of 'issues' with their parents. But otherwise, I would think children would find this to be a hilarious story. This story would also be great...more
Kaethe
Marvin is annoying, so we are happy to see him sent away

Library copy
Tim
Jun 25, 2008 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids/early readers
I've no idea what Marvin has done to the faceless owner of the wristwatch and wrist, but I know that my three-year old has brought me this book to read at bedtime the last few nights. Ergo, the doubling of the stars in my rating. While, it's not as plot-driven as other famous Seuss early readers, It still makes the learning of language and sound interesting both through imaginative real-word play (Like rhyming "Or" with "On the back of a camel in a bureau drawer" or fanciful Seussian inventions...more
Tiffanie
Always liked this one!
Beth
Just not a fan of Dr. Seuss
Destiny Dawn Long
My 2-year old really liked Marvin K. Mooney. She calls him Mooney and has been asking me to read it again and again. She also recognizes his picture in her Dr. Seuss Matching game.

I like this book alright, but do find the premise a bit rude. On the other hand, I guess it's a situation a lot of people can relate to--a guest who overstays their welcome. And I have to say, the modes of transport are pretty funny. I remember when I was a kid trying to think up other ways that someone could "go."
Kirei
This is not one of Dr. Seuss's better books. The ending needs to be snappier.

I do think it would be a good book to give a boyfriend if you were trying to get dump him. :-)

EDITTED: Gosh, I just read the other people's reviews of this book. (I always read them after I write my review.) This was, according to them, written about Richard Nixon. Lol. Okay, that makes more sense. Now when reading this to your child, you can get into an in depth explanation of who Richard Nixon was!
Seuss Lovers: Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now! 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:45PM
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • The Rescuers (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Horns to Toes
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax