Start by marking “The Art of War” as Want to Read:
The Art of War

The Art of War

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The greatest military textbook of the nineteenth century, this famous analysis of the art of Napoleonic warfare had a profound influence upon the military education of American officers in the decades prior to the Civil War. ...more
Published March 15th 2006 by Greenhill Books (first published 1838)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of War

Mark
As with Mahan's "Influence of Sea Power," I won't try to review Jomini's actual work (nor am I really fit to do so), beyond noting that Jomini's influence on the American way of war has been vastly underestimated. This particular translation, in fact, was made at West Point in 1862, as America was in the second year of the Civil War, and other renditions of Jomini had been studied by West Pointers before that time.

A curious mixture of dated material and what are likely timeless truths (much lik
Steven Peterson
The Baron Antoine Henri de Jomini's "The Art of War" is an early classic on military strategy and tactics. With von Clausewitz, he was one of the more widely read scholars on the subject in the 19th century. His book tends to have an abstract, scholarly air to it that suggests that he was more of an "arm chair" theorist than a man whom he learned much from--Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon may have had general perspectives on warfare, but he was also someone who was able to be improvisational on the ...more
Robotspider
There's a reason this book has been re-imagined for business, love, life, pet-ownership, etc. etc. If you have half-a-brain, you can draw these conclusions yourself from the translated sources material. Half poetry, half military tactical manual. So relevant today, it's hard to believe it was written 2000+ years ago.
Howard Anders
Read the "Art of War" for class. The author, a Swiss national, served in Napoleon's Grande Armee. The "Art of War" is essentially Jomini's take on what made Napoleon so successful. Previously, during the Age of Reason, European armies were essentially the discrete playthings of kings, like Louis XIV and Frederick the Great. The French Revolution changed all that; armies became national. Revolutionary France became a "nation in arms" to defend their Revolution against the kings of Europe. Jomini' ...more
Alan
I read this as part of my War Studies course way back in 1979. Now have my own copy. It's a bit more practical than Clausewitz, in other words it deals more with the conduct of war than the theory. This makes it seem a little more dated than Clausewitz, but only if you believe the Clausewitzian theory, which is very much based on 'war by the nation-state'. Jomini is the book for the Napoleonic wargamer! Or the student of Napoleonic military strategy and tactics.

I'm still technically reading this
David Doyle
A have to read for everyone.
Nate Huston
There's a lot of Clausewitz running through Jomini's thoughts. Spends most of Chapter 3 talking about operational level strategy - lines of operation and strategic movement. Valuable, but in the general sense. Lines of operation and the movement of large armies will most likely never be my forte. That said, the definition of various terms such as lines of operation, strategic lines and the function and interplay of bases of operation are a key contribution.
Rob
Only edition of this classic I've read, so I can't compare it to others. The book itself contain much of historical and philosophical interest. I have a feeling I'll be rereading various parts as time goes by.
Rick F.
Highly influential even today! Jomini and Clausewitz offer two different looks at the nature of war and how it is fought. Both are important and should be studied together.
Robert Palmer
This is one of the great classics of western military thinking. It is one of many books I read during the time that I served as an officer in the U.S. Army.
David
A must read for anyone in business and management. I have to re-read this book as it is one of the harder reads.
Danilo Senese
Very interesting book. Complex and very detailed, but definitely a MUST READ in Military Strategy.
Adriano
SWEFSDADSFADADFADFASDFASDFASDFSADFSADFASDF
Jeffry
Tough going ... but ya gotta do it I supose.
Mukhtar
Just started...
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Matthew Denny
Matthew Denny marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Shahrose Javed
Shahrose Javed marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Ian
Ian is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2015
Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Chris Mathies
Chris Mathies is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2015
  • Masters of War: Classical Strategic Thought
  • Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age
  • The Influence Of Sea Power Upon History, 1660 - 1783
  • Achtung-Panzer!: The Development of Armoured Forces, Their Tactics and Operational Potential
  • Command in War
  • Napoleon's Art of War (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
  • The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World
  • The Military Revolution: Military Innovation and the Rise of the West, 1500-1800
  • Military Misfortunes: The Anatomy of Failure in War
  • The Soldier and the State: The Theory and Politics of Civil-Military Relations
  • On the Origins of War and the Preservation of Peace
  • Strategy
  • The Complete Roman Army
  • The Generalship Of Alexander The Great
  • The Defence of Duffers Drift
  • Intelligence in War: Knowledge of the Enemy from Napoleon to Al-Qaeda
  • The American Way of War: A History of United States Military Strategy and Policy
  • How to Make War
Antoine-Henri de Jomini était un militaire, théoricien de la stratégie militaire et historien.
Il était membre de l'état-major du maréchal Ney dans l'armée de Napoléon, position qu'il quitte (après que le maréchal Berthier lui a refusé une nomination de général) pour devenir général de division dans l'armée russe du tsar Alexandre Ier. Plus tard il devient aide de camp de l'Empereur.
Après la mort d
More about Antoine-Henri de Jomini...
Précis de l'art de la guerre. English Jomini, Clausewitz and Schlieffen Les guerres de la Révolution The Campaign of Waterloo, 1815: A Political & Military History from the French Perspective Treatise On Grand Military Operations: Or A Critical And Military History Of The Wars Of Frederick The Great - Vol. I

“The celebrated maxim of the Romans, not to undertake two great wars at the same time, is so well known and so well appreciated as to spare the necessity of demonstrating its wisdom.

A government maybe compelled to maintain a war against two neighboring states; but it will be extremely unfortunate if it does not find an ally to come to its aid, with a view to its own safety and the maintenance of the political equilibrium. It will seldom be the case that the nations allied against it will have the same interest in the war and will enter into it with all their resources; and if one is only an auxiliary, it will be an ordinary war.”
0 likes