Start by marking “Princess at Midnight” as Want to Read:
Princess at Midnight

Princess at Midnight

Holly Crescent leads a sheltered life as a home-schooled girl by day. By night she's Princess of Castle Waxing, where she wages a dangerous turf war with the Horrible Horde.
First published in the Best New Manga Anthology, Princess At Midnight is reformatted here with ten new pages.
Published April 1st 2008 by Image Comics (first published February 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Princess at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess at Midnight

Arminzerella

Holly and Henry are twins, homeschooled by their father, who gives them little personal choice in the course of their studies. They aren’t allowed contact with other children, and their relationship with one another is rather antagonistic – Henry is always doing mean things to Holly. At night, however, everything is different. Holly is secretly the Princess of Waxing Castle, and she has servants who do whatever she wants them to. Unfortunately, her favorite picnic place is attacked by the Horde,
Miriam
Apr 27, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Not quite what I was expecting/hoping for, but cute.
Layla F
Jun 28, 2015 Layla F rated it really liked it
Haha I like it
Betsy
Aug 30, 2008 Betsy rated it liked it
I'm always on the lookout for good kid-friendly graphic novels to stock my library's shelves with. And I am particularly interested in publishers that don't get as much library face time as they might since the presence of comics on library shelves is still a relatively new idea. Image Comics is based out of Berkeley, California and I have to admit that I'm not particularly familiar with their work. Really, my first contact with them came when I somehow ended up with a copy of their graphic ...more
blake
Aug 05, 2016 blake rated it really liked it
I picked this up because I found it the most engaging story in the The Mammoth Book Of Best New Manga.

It's still delightful, but the vast majority of the book is in the aforementioned volume. You don't get much more here, which is a shame. The ending feels a bit rushed.

That said, my youngest loved it and is reading more by the author.
Missy
Apr 18, 2008 Missy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
A nice graphic novel for all ages, deals with gender differences, war and the desire for MORE MORE MORE! Clever drawings and writings. I look forward to pass it on to my 8 yr old niece. She may not know all of the words (some are a little academic but short), but 97% of the book is easily understandable.
Jasmin Chua
Aug 16, 2014 Jasmin Chua rated it liked it
Holly Crescent lives a cloistered existence in a narrow townhouse somewhere in England. By day, she's homeschooled by an overprotective father alongside her twin brother, Henry. By night, she's transformed into the princess of Castle Waxing, where she wages war against her kingdom's sworn enemy, the Horrible Horde.
Danielle
May 17, 2009 Danielle rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
A comic book that would appeal to young girls. Home schooled girl has fantasy of high adventure during the midnight hour. Not the best character development, but young readers still might find some fun it.
Kellee
Jul 31, 2012 Kellee rated it liked it
When Holly goes to bed, she becomes the Princess of Waxing Castle.

I actually wish the book had been a bit longer so that the story both during the day and night had been fleshed out more.
Gigi
Jun 21, 2008 Gigi rated it it was ok
Not a very interesting story. The illustrations are cute and comical, but not that impressive as far as comics go.
Treebeer'd
Treebeer'd rated it really liked it
May 03, 2008
Omid
Omid rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2009
Snow
Snow rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Tim Gent
Tim Gent rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Reena
Reena rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2009
Scott Robins
Scott Robins rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2012
Jul 18, 2012
Jim
Oct 11, 2011 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
sweet little graphic novel about a girl and her dreams. perfect for elementary school libraries.
lesleymac
lesleymac rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Harry Willoughby
Harry Willoughby rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Eric Vincent
Eric Vincent rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2010
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2009
Brenna Sydel
Brenna Sydel rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Alannah
Alannah rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2009
J a E F A I
J a E F A I rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2008
Elizabeth Lund
Little parable about war; homeschooling as a framing story
Andrew "Andi" Watson (born 1969) is a British cartoonist and illustrator best known for the graphic novels Breakfast After Noon, Slow News Day and his series Love Fights, published by Oni Press and Slave Labor Graphics.

Watson has also worked for more mainstream American comic publishers with some work at DC Comics, a twelve-issue limited series at Marvel Comics, with the majority at Dark Horse Com
More about Andi Watson...