Start by marking “The Richest Man in Town” as Want to Read:
The Richest Man in Town

The Richest Man in Town

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
This gift book published by Simple Truths is VJ Smith's story of getting to know Marty Martinson, an elderly Wal-mart greeter in Brookings, SD who affected thousands of people across the country, and all of the lessons on life he taught him. Give a little more of yourself. The only person who can make you happy is you. Be a better you.
Published 2007 by Simple Truths (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Richest Man in Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Richest Man in Town

Rob
May 30, 2012 Rob rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2012, garbage, owned
While Marty is certainly a sweet, adorable old man who means well, I couldn't enjoy this book. It was given to me as a gift upon completing my first year of teaching, and I appreciate the gesture, but these motivational, heartwarming stories rarely jive with me. We're supposed to laud people like Marty because they represent the beauty of simple humanity. Marty's precepts help us cope with the stresses of everyday life. But to me, they are empty catch phrases.

My biggest problem with this book,
Jan 17, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a cute little story of how being a genuine and caring person affects more lives than you could ever imagine. Quick read. It's the story of Marty, an elderly Wal-Mart greeter in Brookings, SD who changed lives. I know, it's cheesy, but it's such a cute story---I love it! It's from the company Simple Truths and was just published in 2007, so I doubt the library has it, but I would be willing to loan it to anyone from book club..... Cute story your kids would even learn something from! It e ...more
Jacob Von Bergen
Feb 24, 2011 Jacob Von Bergen rated it it was amazing
This book is better than a five star book. It is about a South Dakota cash register that lives in Brookings. It does not sound like a great topic but the book is moving and is very inspirational. The whole book is about how the author and the man Marty met and how it changed both their lives. The book is a quick read and has an ending that will keep u thinking.

I would recommend the book to any person who does not have a book to read I read the book in one day not because it was short it was be
Dawn
Feb 28, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing
loved this book! very inspirational .... wish I could have met Marty or here v.j. smith speak. ...
Anna
Jan 31, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book was shared at the Lifetouch Winter Meeting recently and had such an impact on my Territory Sales Manager that he purchased a copy for all of his Sales Reps. It's a quick, easy read that is absolutely worth an hour of your time. My husband read it a couple of weeks before I did, so I KNEW it had to be good since it takes a lot to get him interested in a book. This book will leave a long-lasting impact on your heart and mind! Be prepared to laugh, cry and immediately want to tell everyon ...more
Sierra
Apr 01, 2015 Sierra rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, reread
I think I’ve read this book about a gazillion times since 5th grade. . . So now I say, story time!
I grew up in De Smet, SD (Little Town on the Prairie), about 45 miles from Brookings. My 5th grade teacher read The Richest Man in Town to my class; despite my classmate’s apparent apathy toward the book, I adored it. Marty was my hero. In my 10-year old mind with my lofty goals, I decided I was going to work at Wal-Mart when I grew up. I wanted to be just like Marty, I loved him so. And to think!
Terry
Oct 07, 2011 Terry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
I had an opportunity to hear the author give his presentation on the richest man in town. It was very inspiring and was followed by a standing ovation. I figured that I'd better get and read the book. It is short and easy to read. After starting it, I couldn't put it down until finished! It is a great read and well worth the time. It probably won't take more than an hour to read and it may change your life. Get it and read it!
Grace Swenson-murphy
Sep 14, 2012 Grace Swenson-murphy rated it it was amazing
This is not a lengthy story, but one everyone should read. The author spoke at a conference I just attended and shared this story. He had most everyone tearing up and laughing during his speach. When he was finished, almost everyone lined up to shake the author's hand and to buy their own copy of his book. Make sure to have kleenex handy, it will touch your life and your heart and is a great read for anybody and everybody.
Randy Bellous
Oct 14, 2012 Randy Bellous rated it it was amazing
This Book changes peoples lives.. Period. This is one of the top 5 books EVERYONE should read. I look forward to seeing the motion Picture being made from it. If you haven't yet read it - READ IT! If you've read it, share it with someone who hasn't.
Peg Williams
Jul 15, 2009 Peg Williams rated it it was amazing
Best book ever! This is a moving story of the relationship between a guy who ran a cash register and a guy who worked at a college. The cashier taught life lessons and the college guy listened. This wonderful story makes a terrific gift!
Spencer
Dec 11, 2011 Spencer rated it it was amazing
A simple man working at walmart teaches the world what it means to be Christ-like. Absolute must read for anyone who has ever wanted to be like that one person in their life who lifted everyone up around them.
Kathy Kramer
Jan 07, 2012 Kathy Kramer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This is a quick read, but it is a good reminder that performing small, simple acts of kindness towards others is more rewarding than material possessions or social status or having money.
Lindsey
Feb 26, 2010 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This book was so good! We read it in my sixth grade class and there wasn't a dry eye in the room at the end of the story. Marty truly was the richest man in town!
Mary
Jan 09, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Inspirational - really makes me want to be happy and nice and interested in every person I encounter
Machelle
Dec 27, 2009 Machelle rated it it was amazing
You need to have an open hand to give. Thanks, Marty, for showing us how simple it can be!
Nathan
Oct 18, 2010 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This was a great book and i would recommend it to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):)):):):):):):):):)
Cassandra Joseph
Jan 15, 2012 Cassandra Joseph rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational! Everyone needs to do just a little more.
Mack Buchholtz
Mar 17, 2012 Mack Buchholtz rated it it was amazing
A very good read. I encourage everyone to read this book.
Valerie (He Said Books Or Me)
May 18, 2015 Valerie (He Said Books Or Me) rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2009 Becki rated it it was amazing
Very good book!
Abygail
Jan 13, 2011 Abygail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the richest man in town, it tells a story of Marty a worker at Wal-mart who touches many lives through his check out line number nine. The author has a unique way of writing; he was the man that showed every one Marty’s story. It starts out with the author telling you how he meets Marty. Then goes on to tell how his one letter to the Head of Wal-mart changes everything. Marty becomes famous, because the author keeps telling hundreds of people about him, and he does about two hundred in one sp ...more
Jordyn
Mar 03, 2011 Jordyn added it
The Richest Man in Town is a heart warming book. V.J Smith has written a book about an elderly man named Marty. Marty works at WalMart and is the nicest man V.J. has ever met. Marty greets people, has a convorsation with them, shaked hands, hugs them, and sometimes recieves kisses from the ladies. V.J. writes a letter to the president and chief executive office of WalMart, Mr. David Glass. He writes how nice of a man Marty is and how he has changed his life. Just one little greeting to someone, ...more
Felicia
Nov 18, 2015 Felicia rated it it was amazing
I found this book very motivating. Marty is the perfect example of how you can rich, but not in wealth. He also shows how if you choose happiness in life, you will be happy. It shows how small acts of kindness can make such a huge impact on people. This is a must read!!
Danyelle Cleveland
This book is one of the first that my husband read AND purchased. That says something! A great story especially since we need more people in the world like the main character. Makes a great gift for anyone and read aloud for kids!
Joe Aadland
Jan 16, 2008 Joe Aadland rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
This book gets two stars, but only because one star ratings should be saved for books that you can't even finish. Nice enough story about a 70 year old guy who works the checkout at Wal-mart and shakes hands with all his customers. Trys to be an inspirational book, but the writing/reading level is 5th grade at best....kind of like that "Who Moved My Cheese" book. For me, the only thought-provoking point of the book was not intentional by the author. The main character of the book talks about bot ...more
Manny
Jun 01, 2016 Manny rated it really liked it
Shelves: sad
This book inspires while simultaneously hitting you in the feels.
Do not read if you are having an emotional day.
Dante
Mar 18, 2016 Dante rated it it was amazing
V.J. Smith came to my school and signed my book. I guess I'm pretty cool.
Steve Martinson
Apr 08, 2016 Steve Martinson rated it it was amazing
This is about my father. So proud!!
Chris
Sep 03, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok
This book is basically a treatise on customer service. It's about an old man who ran a cash register at Walmart. He would always ask how his customers were doing, listen to their stories, shake their hands, and thank them for coming in. This personal touch made him almost a local celebrity. People would wait four deep in his line at times, even when there were other registers open. The book was somewhat interesting and inspirational, even if it was talking about an employee for the dreaded Walma ...more
  • Rich Like Them: My Door-to-Door Search for the Secrets of Wealth in America's Richest Neighborhoods
  • Unleashing the Killer App: Digital Strategies for Market Dominance
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • The Game-Changer: How You Can Drive Revenue and Profit Growth with Innovation
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Changing the Game: How Video Games Are Transforming the Future of Business
  • The Sages: Warren Buffett, George Soros, Paul Volcker, and the Maelstrom of Markets
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • The Hunger: A Story of Food, Desire, and Ambition
  • To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise
  • The Millionaire Maker: ACT, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive
  • Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Public Universities
  • Money: How the Destruction of the Dollar Threatens the Global Economy -- And What We Can Do about It
  • Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
  • A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty