Start by marking “Coyote Blue” as Want to Read:
Coyote Blue

Coyote Blue

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  17,041 ratings  ·  765 reviews
A stunningly original new novel from the author of Practical Demonkeeping. Sam Hunter, born Samson Hunts Alone, was forced to run away from the reservation when he was only 15. Twenty years later, safely ensconced in his yuppie persona as an insurance salesman, Sam's doing fine--until Coyote, an ancient god and trickster, enters the scene.
Published March 1st 1994 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Blue

Emma
Under any normal circumstances, I would never have picked this book up. I associated the name Christopher Moore with “Bite Me,” a book I’d seen the cover for and assumed it was an exploitative parody of the vampire novels that have been so popular lately (in short, I judged a book by its cover). The reason I did buy this book was that we were assigned to read it for class. I wasn’t thrilled about that either. But as I began to read it, within the preface, I was already falling in love with Chris...more
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
With so many laugh-out-loud moments, Coyote Blue is a fractured fairy-tale worth reading, even if Christopher Moore's second book does suffer from sophomore slump!

I'll write a full review when I have time, but for now here's...

DAVE'S FINAL JUDGMENT -

THE DEFENSE
- Often hysterically funny
- Eclectic cast of characters grab your attention and never let go
- Moore's wit and creativity are on full display
- Refreshingly original

THE PROSECUTION
- Attempts to mix comedy and drama are less than succ...more
Wayne Wilson
The best book I have read this year! If I could give the book more than 5 stars I would. This is like reading a book of mythology set in modern times with a great love story thrown into the mix to create just the right motivation and imagery. Maybe it is the one sixteenth Native American in my genes but learning about Coyote one of the great Gods of the Crow Nation was a delight and a spiritual awakening.

Our main character Sampson Hunts Alone is an insurance sales man in Santa Barbara going by t...more
Marvin
Three and a half stars.

While Coyote Blue doesn't sparkle like the other Christopher Moore books I've read, it is still a very funny novel. Moore takes on Native American mythology is much the same way he played with Christianity in Lamb. It is clear that Old Man Coyote is not the only prankster around. Moore himself is quite the mischief maker especially of the literary type. I am also getting into the authors' reuse of characters in his books and enjoyed the return of Minty Fresh who is my favo...more
DJ Harris
Apr 09, 2013 DJ Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: dark, favorites, funny, review
Antof9
This book was SO entertaining! The best word I could think of to describe it was "irreverent".

There were many funny parts to this book -- but the quirky little things got me the most -- Sam trying to rhyme "Gabriella", Yiffer's son being named "J. Nigel Yiffworth, Esquire", and the clothing choice Sam makes to go visit the Indian artifacts collector.

I also enjoyed the "indian legend" stories woven throughout the book. They were pretty funny. The story about the Great Spirit giving names out to...more
Rachel
Nick
The only Moore book I have yet to read is Lamb (which I started this morning) and so far Fool is my favorite, but Coyote Blue is a close 2nd. I would say it's a departure from what you may be used to with Moore, but since it was his second book, I guess that means everything else is a departure from this. Whatever. The fact is, this is a great book filled with big laughs and big opposite of laughs. Sadness?

Being that I'm an ancient deity this book really spoke to me. it encouraged me to embrace...more
Lyn
Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore was his second novel, published in 1994. Moore tells the tale of Sam Hunter, ne Samson Hunts Alone, a Crow Indian who runs away from the reservation and begins a new life in Santa Barbara as a successful insurance salesman. His life takes an unexpected turn when his spirit helper, the Crow trickster god Coyote pays him a visit.

This is written with Moore’s inexhaustible command of entertaining and amusing similes and metaphors, I laughed out loud several times. Wh...more
This book was absolutely frickin' hilarious. I think I officially love Christopher Moore. I was listening to this book on my iPod while my preschoolers were napping today and I had to shush myself because I started laughing so hard. Coyote the Trickster has been one of my favorite characters ever since I started reading old fables when I was in college. I have never read any of the tales that Mr. Moore used for this book, who knows, maybe he made them up, but I loved how he intermingled the tale...more
Tracey
A fan of Christopher Moore, I picked this book up from a local used book store earlier this month & read thru it over the weekend.

Sam Hunter is a slick, shallow insurance salesman whose Native American past is successfully buried... until the Trickster thinks otherwise. Sam's life is quickly turned upside down by Coyote as he is forced to confront his heritage and reach out to another human being. The story is interspersed with Coyote folktales told with a modern twist that always seem to t...more
Jennifer Cooper
This book is full of the normal kooky brand of Christopher Moore cleverness-- there's nothing too deep, but plenty of things to giggle about. The book follows Sam Hunter, a Crow indian who ran away to Los Angeles as a teenager to escape his past. He has become a successful insurance salesman, but his life is empty of any purpose greater than closing sales and making money. All this changes when Coyote (the trickster god and spirit guide of his Crow past) brings Calliope (a pretty hippie) into hi...more
Jaime
I have to admit that despite my love for A Dirty Job, I’m not a big fan of Moore’s earlier works. Not only are some characters reused (which I don’t really have a problem with — nothing wrong with recurring characters!), he uses some of the same stereotypes in every book, it seems. There’s always a mostly-high surfer dude. There’s always a cantankerous (and probably homely) old lady. And of course, the earnest (if sometimes misguided) main character. I think what really rubbed me wrong in this b...more
Brian  J. Walters
Hard to believe that the only reason I read this book, and was introduced to Christopher Moore, is because I happen to be strolling by book store with an outside, sale table and Coyote Blue was sitting right on top.

I had never read anything like him before - and never since - and was hooked immediately. Through his words, he creates such perfect pictures of his extremely bizarre characters, their personalities, and the story line that combines them all together.
J.A. Carter-Winward
Book reviews are so subjective at times. I'm afraid this is one such review. In a different head space I might have really enjoyed Coyote Blue. But so much of the satire felt forced to me and at times missed the mark of "satire" entirely to become just plain silly. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for 'silly,' I don't know.

The book was difficult for me to get through because of the silliness. I realize that when you have a trickster god as a main player, silliness must certainly abound. But there i...more
bookczuk
A Christopher Moore I haven't read! Yahoo!

I enjoyed this book, as I do most Moore novels. He's got the right mix of zaney, bawdy, silly, outrageous, humanity, and mystical to make his books good reads, truly deserving of laughing out loud. Nice to see an early iteration of a character who shows up in several other books as well.

I kept thinking, while reading this, that when I was four, my family went on a cross-country trip. While out in "Indian Country" my parents bought me a book called "Coyo...more
Kemper
Very funny. I didn't like it quite as much as some other Moore books like Lamb, Fool, or Bloodsucking Fiends, but still good for a lot of laughs. Loved the Old Man Coyote character.
Stephanie
this was a strange little book that I wasn't sure i was going to like when I started it. But in the end I decided I liked it alot!
Earl Grey Tea
Ever since I learned about Christopher Moore almost a decade ago, I've enjoyed all the books that he has written.

Coyote Blue isn't my favorite by Moore, but on the second reading of it I seem to enjoy it more than the previous time. As per usually for Moore, there was a nice collection of character with peculiar backgrounds coming together for a goofy adventure.

The usage of Native American folklore as an underlining theme for the book was quite interesting. I feel that my religious studies class...more
Aries
Durante il viaggio a Bruxelles mi sono “regalato” la lettura del secondo (in ordine di scrittura) libro di quel genio mai troppo lodato che è Christopher Moore, “Coyote Blue”, tradotto con “Il ritorno del Dio Coyote” (opinabile, ma quanto meno fedele al contenuto del romanzo).

Avendo a disposizione entrambe le versioni ho optato, per pigrizia, per leggere l’adattamento: un piccolo errore di cui parlerò alla fine.

Che dire del romanzo?

Senza dubbio in crescita rispetto a “Practical Demonkeeping”, ha...more
Carrie
I'm on this Christopher Moore kick because they have a bunch of his books on CD at the local library. Coyote Blue wasn't my favorite of his because none of the main characters were incredibly likable. Sampson Hunts Alone is a Crow Indian who has made a life for himself in the white world selling insurance with dubious business tactics. He is visited by Old Man Coyote, a shapeshifting Indian god, who is known as a trickster himself and generally causes a lot of trouble. Then there's the love inte...more
Marsha
Samuel Hunter has fallen as far away from his American Indian heritage as possible. It’s been necessary; he killed a man back on his reservation and now he can’t go back. But a mythical trickster is about to remind him just who he is and what really matters in life.

Mr. Moore once more displays his protean ability to wriggle into a different culture and uses it to show just what’s so funny about life. Filled with zingy one-liners, a blasphemous attitude towards the Christian God and a trickster w...more
Amanda
I really like Trickster stories. Partially because my parents read me the Brer Rabbit stories all the time when I was little. Partially because my first job out of college was stage managing an Anansi play at Virginia Stage Company. Partially because I spent years reading Charles de Lint. Partially because I really like animals. So anyway, that being said, my love of trickster stories, plus extremely low expectations when I started reading Coyote Blue made me like this a lot.

I'm sure I have mor...more
Christy Baker
In the second of the books I've read by Moore, the first being Lamb, he again delivered me to absurd settings with fantastical plot that had me laughing out loud at times with hit witty turns of phrase and outrageous imagination. In general, while I love a good movie or book that can make me laugh, too often I find the level or type of humor engenders me to eyerolls and sighs at what can feel immature rather than spontaneous chuckles and outright laughter at the ironies and surreal nature that i...more
Christopher
Christopher Moore is my new favorite author. He's not as . . . philosophical or deep as Tom Robbins, but he's clever, playful; fun.

I've read 'The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove' and 'The Stupidest Angel' too. How could the guy NOT be fun, with titles like those?

In Coyote Blue, native American and commercial Anglo culture compete. Identity issues, mythical characters, and strange new versions of native-style origin myths. Fun stuff.
Carolyn Rose
I'm a huge fan of Christopher Moore and love his characters, many of whom are over the top, manic, and courting disaster. This book wasn't quite on a pace with some of his more recent works, (I bought three copies of Lamb for friends and recommended Fool far and wide) but it was a good read. He's a master at working series themes into humorous action. Like a time-release capsule, I get bits of message days after I put the book down.
Katie
This book was set in Santa Barbara, a North Dakota Indian reservation and Las Vegas. The main character is a displaced and emotionally detached Crow Indian man who left the reservation at age 15, but suddenly the Indian God Coyote appears and wrecks havoc in his carefully constructed life. There were some very funny, irreverent moments in the book, but also some touching ones. Not a perfect book, but it amused me.
Rich Cresswell
This is the first book I had read by Moore, though at the recommendation of a few close friends. I laughed out loud and was legitimately touched by some of the issues. It deals heavily with Native American myth, and tells a humorous story about a man running from his past being forced to confront it, with the help of his mischievous guardian spirit. I'm definitely going to try to read more Christopher Moore in the future.
jamie
i find it very convenient that i have been reading these christopher moore books around the same time i've finally started reading neil gaiman... i feel like i am completely sucked into this world where gods walk the earth, death is personified, crazy things happen... and once again, i love these characters. i was particularly chuffed when a couple characters i loved in "a dirty job" popped up again in this one.
Tim Johnson
I've never understood the need for trickster gods, yet they appear across a variety of cultures. Imagine life with a double-dealing deity shadowing your every move: ticking off your boss, switching out your ultra-soft TP, distracting you and making you forget that you're out of coffee until you go looking for it in the morning. I can do all of that all on my own. Maybe trickster gods were invented just so that people would have someone to blame for any general crappy circumstance. . .

Samson Hunt...more
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbers for "Coyote Blue" 978-1-4391-9148-4 20 38 Mar 06, 2013 02:34PM
So, about that ending . . . (spoilers) 4 76 Oct 11, 2008 07:26AM
  • Santa and Pete: A Novel of Christmas Present and Past
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)
  • Gil's All Fright Diner
  • Pest Control
  • Native Tongue (Skink, #2)
  • Big Trouble
  • Death: A Life
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • HELP!  A Bear is Eating Me!
  • Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed
  • Navigator

Christopher Moore (born 1957 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters...more
More about Christopher Moore...
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1) Fool You Suck (A Love Story, #2)

“Love: the sickest of Irony’s sick jokes. The place where logic and order go to die.” 278 likes
“That's the scary thing about hope," she said. "If you let it go too long it turns into faith.” 55 likes