Start by marking “My America: Five Smooth Stones (Hope's Revolutionary War Diary, #1) ” as Want to Read:
My America: Five Smooth Stones (Hope's Revolutionary War Diary, #1)

My America: Five Smooth Stones (Hope's Revolutionary War Diary, #1) (Hope's Revolutionary War Diary #1)

Kristiana Gregory's first My America , book one of Hope's Diary, details life in Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War. This book will be part of the re-launch of the My America series.

As tensions rise between the Tories and Patriots, Hope's life in Philadelphia becomes more confusing. Will Papa ever return from his voyage? Has he been killed, or worse become a Tory? W
Published May 1st 2002 by Scholastic Inc. (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about My America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My America

Brittany Cullen
This book in based in Pennsylvania 1776 during the revolutionary war and being at war with England. Her pa went out to see after Christmas and they do not if he will return because he is on the opposite side so they fear he may be captured. She explains how King George is their enemy and going through the day to day struggle of wondering if her pa will ever come home so they can be happy. This is just a good personal view on a big war in history and can show how it was like for many families to ...more
Mar 26, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the winter of 1776 in Philadelphia, and as the Revolutionary War begins, it threatens to tear nine-year-old Hope Potter's family apart. It's been just Hope, her mother, and her thirteen-year-old brother Ethan ever since Christmas Day, when Hope's father was forced to leave home under circumstances the family still doesn't understand. But in spite of her worry for her father's safety and her increasingly fragmented family life, complicated by arguments between her mother and brother over whi ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 01, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Hope, a young girl living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1776 just prior to the Declaration of Independence. As such, it's an interesting story of some of the conditions people lived under at the time, and how not every single person was in agreement over whether or not the colonies should declare their separation from England. This was the type of controversy that could tear families apart just as the Civil War did much later.

One very interesting thing in the book was a
May 23, 2011 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dont get some of the words like 'Tis and Petticoats. I have never learned words like that and i never heard it before. So it is very interesting to learn new stuff like that it is like i am living in old America.
This book was very interesting. My favorite part was when a guy pulled out 5 stones and each one of then mean 1 thing. They were smooth and Hope called them, "The Five Smooth Stones"
I recomend this book to Alex S. and to all of my other friends who are reading historic
Sep 02, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I was previewing this book as a read-aloud, or perhaps for literature circle (med-high). The diary format is interesting and the book gives good insight to the lifestyle of a child in Revolutionary War era America. I also appreciated the vocabulary that made Hope Potter's dialect seem more authentic. The book also managed to incorporate some important historical figures like Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and Betsy Ross. The one major drawback of the book is that the plot really leaves the read ...more
Sep 20, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-shelf
A girl during the revolutionary times of colional America grows up. She writes about the troubles and the hope she has for the future. As the war rages on she relays hope and help to her family and people.

This book is good for 3+. The book's appeal is a view about a war we normally see only from an adults way of thinking. This gives children a way to feel how the children of the time were feeling.

This book is great if you are teaching about the Revolutionary war and want children to see how it
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Amber Pangburn
Dec 12, 2011 Amber Pangburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is about a girl who was alive during the revoluntairy war. They saw the red coats attack their city and watched as many bad things happened. They went through hard times but they made it through. I would use this to talk about how the country was formed and what it took to get us to where we are today.
Jul 15, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good children's historical fiction. Especially for my girls. I like when a story makes our history lessons relatable. Simple enough for the littles but engaging enough for H. We read aloud and got totally wrapped up in the story and then couldn't find the third book at the library! bummer. We were all inspired to gather up 5 smooth stones of our own!
My daughter loved this book. She was completely taken in by the story and was fascinated at the description of the family's everyday life. This book did a wonderful job of painting a picture of life for regular people during the American Revolution, and at the same time introducing important historical names and facts.
Jul 05, 2010 AlixJamie rated it really liked it
One of my favorite childhood books! Hope's portrayal of family life during the beginning of the Revolutionary War brings that time period to life for younger readers. The plot is well drawn with plenty of drama. Problems with Tory friends, a brother who runs away to join the British, a missing father and a new sister all combine to make this a very enjoyable read.
Historic setting. The diary of a young girl in Philidelphia during the 1776 year -- talks from a young girl's perspective and included bits and pieces of history. No plot resolution, so a true diary. I found it uninteresting for the most part except the meaning of the title with the 5 smooth stones being about David's slingshot stones to slay Goliath.
Mar 28, 2008 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lydia-age-6
Written in the language of the time, this book does a better job of highlighting true events than the American Girl books. Seems to me it has a more realistic portrayal of how a 9-yr-old girl in 1776 would view the world and herself.
Stephanie Smith
The historical accuracy was wonderful but I felt the characters were flat.
Julie Pollitt
Aug 18, 2015 Julie Pollitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book!

Kristiana Gregory is such a great writer. I had a tough time putting this book down. I love the history interwoven into the story. Great book! Can't wait to read the next one.
This was a good book, but I have never like the My America’s too well. I read the 3rd book of this trilogy in 5th grade so it was nice to go and read the 1st one but I still need to read number two. I hope that kids will read these books and become more interested in history.
Feb 03, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series of books because they are quick easy reads that bring history to life through the eyes of fictional girls who lived at the time. The only thing I didn't like about this one was the abrupt ending. I don't like abrupt endings!
Adorable YA series devoted to historical depictions of young women in America? Check. Particularly poignant to a Philly girl? Check. The rest of the series is worth a read, as well. Three and one half stars.
KD Williams
This book was entertaining but short. A fun look into the beginning of the revolutionary war through the eyes of a little girl.
Jan 29, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little children's book. It tells of the Revolutionary War through diary entries of a nine year old girl.
Jun 04, 2009 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tells the story of a 9 yr old girl in Philadelphia in 1776 in diary format. It really is well done, but sometimes diary format is not my favorite.
Apr 06, 2013 Shari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute children's book. It taught my son and I what life was like in 1776 through diary entries of a nine year old.
This is a cute short children 19s story about how a young girls deals with the beginnings of the Revolutionary War.
Bookbarn rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Chunkymonkey12 rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2008
Ayesha Ahmed
Ayesha Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2010
Angel Smith
Angel Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Delaney rated it it was ok
Nov 26, 2011
Flower rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2009
MountainLaurel rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2008
  • Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1)
  • My Brother's Keeper (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #1)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • As Far As I Can See (My America: Meg's Prairie Diary, #1)
  • An American Spring: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #3)
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • Journal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker (My Name Is America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • My Face to the Wind: The Diary of Sarah Jane Price, a Prairie Teacher (Dear America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
Kristiana Gregory grew up in Manhattan Beach, California, two blocks from the ocean. She's always loved to make up stories [ask her family!], telling her younger siblings whoppers that would leave them wide-eyed and shivering. Her first rejection letter at age ten was for a poem she wrote in class when she was supposed to be doing a math assignment. She's had a myriad of odd jobs: telephone operat ...more
More about Kristiana Gregory...

Hope's Revolutionary War Diary (3 books)
  • My America: We Are Patriots: Hope's Revolutionary War Diary, Book Two