Rock Star Babylon: Outrageous Rumors, Legends, and Raucous True Tales of Rock and Roll Icons

2.36 of 5 stars 2.36  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Rockers Behaving Badly

From Ozzy Osbourne to Chuck Berry, Courtney Love to Keith Moon,Rock Star Babylonhas gathered together the most outrageous antics and diva-esque misbehavior in the annals of rock. Here in a single volume are the most wickedly entertaining stories of over-the-top parties, crazy divorces, hidden cameras, trashed hotel rooms, misapplied epileptic interve...more
Published June 24th 2008 by Plume

Dj
For a book that uses a subtitle of Outrageous Rumors, Legends, and Raucous True Tales of Rock and Roll Icons, you would expect...well bigger names for one thing, no country and western singers and something more then British Pop groups that barely made the B list.
Even worse the Outrageous and Raucous is pretty tame. The book promises an Atomic Bomb and delivers a Bottle Rocket. Some of the things are funny, like a guy driving his riding lawn mower to the bar to get drunk since his wife hid the...more
Matt
Picked it up for .99 so I can't complain too much. The first story drew me in: a forgotten '80's band hit a kangaroo while touring Australia. They attempted to dress the kangaroo in a denim jacket to take pictures with it, but it regained consciousness and hopped off into the outback with the tour bus keys in its jacket pocket... Most of the stories themselves really are funny. For example: Noel from the band Oasis went to see Spinal Tap Live not knowing that they weren't a real band, and was sh...more
Peacegal
In a word, disappointing. Those hoping for a fun read sorting rock n’ roll fact from fiction will want to look elsewhere; Holmes reports urban legends right alongside true misadventures and doesn’t distinguish between the two.

He relies entirely too much on “humorous” footnotes--literally every page is littered with them--and the vast majority just aren’t funny. Was the author trying to distract readers from his own book? That’s exactly the result.

Finally, readers outside Britain may want to ta...more
Rafi Bloch
This book was okay. I was a little bored because I didn't understand all of the British/UK references and had to just 'go along with it' for the sake of finishing the book. Some of the tales/legends are interesting like the lead singer of Faith No More, Mike Patton, defecating into a hotel hair dryer. Or, Freddy Mercury of Queen having wild parties with 'dwarfs carrying huge silver platters of cocaine' dressed in leather chaps and studded collars. Or, how Celine Dion will not go on stage unless...more
george
Not good. Not good at all. I'm thinking that the book is going to be like the title suggests--which, to be fair, it is. Kind of. Although instead of verifying or disputing the rumors and legends, the author just repeats them. Again, to be fair, I was warned in the introduction. But like the idiot that I am, I discarded this information and continued to read. It was a mistake. Most of the tales are about little-known bands or musicians. The others are ones that I've even heard of. And the footnot...more
Ginny
Read---more like skimmed. I have to agree with just about all of the reviews on here. This book falls flat on its face. When I see "Outrageous and Raucous" right in the title I expect outrageous and raucous. Not some girl band in England who no one cares about punching a bathroom attendant. And some of the stories (ie the "hairdryer" one) was horrible. If that's really true....ugh!

However, I did like Jon Holmes' style of writing. Some of the footnotes made me laugh. The best line in the whole th...more
Melissa
Jun 21, 2011 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
I normally get into books like this one. I was expecting funny stories - some I've heard before, some perhaps new. He doesn't differentiate between what is real and what is not. His introduction is a fallback for him to be able to say it's your own fault if you expected anything more than what he offers - which is a bunch of rumors about a lot of obscure bands. His footnotes are extremely irritating. I got to a point where I just quit reading them. It is completely obvious that the author thinks...more
Veronica Boeve
This book was okay. After 3/4 of the way through, I realized that it offered no new information, and it was there that I started to lose interest. I did finish it, however, but only because I forced myself. I felt that the use of footnotes was sometimes enlightening and funny, but most often it felt forced and annoying. And he kind of rambled. A lot.
Beth Kostecki
This book is a quick read, written as short anecdotes, and I enjoy the author's style, which was worth an extra star. But overall it was disappointing, mainly because there was almost nothing new to be found. If you're a music fan you'll have heard most of these stories, and the ones you haven't involve such obscure artists that you won't care.
Marjanne
Aug 20, 2008 Marjanne rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This book is generally just a bunch of hearsay with supposedly 'witty' comments thrown in from the author at footnotes. Most of the stories are just gross. You won't find any useful information in these pages. Pretty much a waste of time, though (thankfully) a short waste of time.
Melody
Aug 28, 2008 Melody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Betsy Sundquist
Hilarious, if only for the footnotes. It's a pack of unsubstantiated rumours about rock stars. Most of said rumours involve one or another icky body fluid. Or vats of drugs. I laughed my way through it, even the gross parts. Not for the seeker of truth nor the easily offended.
Jeannie
Ugh, this was so boring. Don't know how or even why I bothered finishing it. Usually give up on a book when it doesn't capture my attention in the first couple of chapters. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. and that pretty much sums this book up.
Nocheevo
As the title says its largely rumours, some well known, some new. Essentially urban myths. Written in a style that must have appeared funnier during the chats with the editor. The Humorous verbose footnights scraped in at being funny about half the time.
Pete
Good concept, but pretty disappointing. Very British. I hadn't even heard of half of the pop stars he talks about. Makes no attempt at sourcing anything and openly admits that a lot of the stories are probably bogus. Pretty funny, though.
Maggie
Lots of tell all, rumors from the rock and roll world. Warning - there are some really gross, potentially life changing stories in here. I will never use a hotel hair dryer again.
Jak
A very light quick read. It's a collection of urban myths based on rock and roll legends. If any are true, they are in the minority. Some are funny but most others aren't.
Louise
Entertaining at times but largely dull, there's nothing really new there and it's not as funny as it wishes to be.
Michael Lee Howard -Mayhew
This book was decent it did not have anything too shocking or informative ... quick and easy read .
Eileen
Sep 15, 2008 Eileen added it
Iffy stores about barely recognizable bands -- do not recommend.
Ann
Dec 20, 2008 Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adults
fun read, but you have to really like your more obscure artists.
Ty03sam
Ty03sam marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The History of the World Through Twitter Status Quo and the Kangaroo: And Other Rock Apocryphals Texas: A Self Portrait Rock Star Babylon: Jaw-dropping Tales of Debauchery and Strange Behaviour Rock Star Babylon