Francis of Assisi: A Revolutionary Life

Francis of Assisi: A Revolutionary Life

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Francis of Assisi (1182-1226) was the least dogmatic of saints, seeing himself as God's troubadour or fool. His life was rich in its succession of dramas. After his debauchery as a young playboy, merchant and soldier - he fought at the Battle of Collestrada - he stripped naked in court, abandoned everything he owned and devoted his life to the poorest and the sick. On his...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Paulist Press (first published March 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Francis of Assisi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Francis of Assisi

Minako Morin
This book took me a while to finish. It is fairly long and quite academic, with some esoteric vocabulary relating to religions and specifically to Catholicism. But it's not all hard dry. It's written very thoughtfully with tender care, and it had me stop now and then to really, and I mean really, reflect on what I had just read. It is ultimately a very uplifting book.

t appreciated the author's approach and style, particularly after reading Linda Bird Francke's version of Francis's biography, wh...more
Patti
It's a miracle! I finished this book!

A Revolutionary Life reads like a term paper of House's research of other biographies and papers. It's very factual and sites it sources perfectly. House talks a lot of what is happening in Europe during St. Francis' pilgrimages, which is tedious, but beneficial. People had short life spans back then, so if you didn't like the current Pope or Government, just wait a couple of years and they'd be dead.

I wanted to read more about St. Francis because Hermann Hes...more
Rancy Breece
I was only familiar with St. Francis from the film "Brother Son and Sister Moon" and and stories about his ministering to animals. This is an excellent biography that brings this remarkable man to life, details his contributions to his faith and more importantly to the world. What is remarkable is how well known he was during his own time and how much influence he had even though he had no position in church hierarchy. This book is well researched and detailed while being an absorbing and reward...more
Airam Siakānuaj
I loved the first half of this book and devoured it quickly! The second half got a little... academic. I was hoping that the author would maintain the first person story-style biography a bit longer. But overall a good book. It's obvious, by the way, that the author is not Catholic. So if you're looking for a spiritual read, consider another biography of St. Francis.
Adam
Concise and informative; a good introduction to such a unique, influential person. If you're interested in the more notable church figures throughout history, worth the read. Even if you're just curious, as I was, still worth the read.
Chris Lemig
Gets a little academic at times. When you're not neck deep in dates and names it's a pretty readable and inspiring account of St Francic's life. This was a man who truly believed in practicing unconditional love towards all people.
Frankie
This book is awesome, whether you are a Christian or not on the transformation of a spoiled brat in to one of the most kind and generous people in history.
Brett
As informatige as it was I sometimes felt like it wandered a little too often and I had a hard time really getting into it as much as I would have wanted.
Shelby
I actually enjoyed reading this book with its secular viewpoint on St. Francis - it was a very objective stance. I found it really interesting.
Mark
Jan 04, 2012 Mark marked it as to-read
Recommended by Sister Mary Jane as a readable but not overly academic look at Francis and Franciscans. 4 January 2012
Virginia
Lovely and wished it was longer. WIll probably reread in years to come.
Cary
Apr 06, 2009 Cary marked it as to-read
Just beginning this book. I'll let you know how it goes.
Steven
I really enjoyed the first part of the book with its vivid descriptions of Medieval life and Francis' conversion. I was less satisfied with the second half of the book, which sometimes goes off on long tangents or gets bogged down in psychology.
Michele Maitland
Michele Maitland marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Colin
Colin added it
Jul 23, 2014
Dawlat
Dawlat marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sian
Sian marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Joyce
Joyce added it
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Great Safari: The Lives of George and Joy Adamson Francis Of Assisi Reader's Digest - Today's Best Nonfiction - The Great Safari, Royal Children, Unreasonable Behaviour, Memoirs of a Fellwanderer

“(An) Analogy has been drawn between the metaphysical experience of prayer and an ordinary human friendship. This may progress from initial civility, through engagement in common business, to conversations of mutual interest punctuated with companionable silences; after that meetings may become occasions for sudden outbursts of passionate conviction or declarations of love. ” 1 likes