Start by marking “Bat 21” as Want to Read:

Bat 21

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Book Review: Requiem for a Yankee Hero in Vietnam
By PAUL DEAN, Los Angeles Times, October 23, 1980
"Lt. Col, Iceal E. Hambleton, U.S. Air Force, has been a forgotten hero since 1972. As North Vietnam's hammer was beating out South Vietnam's submission, Hambleton was shot down 12 miles south of the DMZ.
He later received the Silver Star and lesser medals. They don't
Mass Market Paperback, 222 pages
Published September 2nd 1983 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Bat 21, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bat 21

Jan 17, 2012 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 5-star
Well worth the read! You cant help but be impressed by the creativity and endurance displayed by both the downed airman and the rescuers.
There are some outstanding books about the Vietnam War - this is one of them. Regardless of the political atmosphere that surrounded the war, some of the individuals that lived through it and others that write about it breathe life into the atrocities that occurred on both sides.
Gil Burket
Incredible story of survival.

The only question is why did the Air Force allow a senior officer who had knowledge of highly sensitive secret information fly on a combat mission to begin with?
Hambleton's heroic exploits provided in this book are a tribute to his spirit and the training the USAF provides its pilots and aircrews. Does make exciting reading!
Michael Burnam-fink
It's pretty much what it says on the tin. Lt Col Hambleton goes down behind enemy lines in the midst of the 1972 Easter Offensive, and after 12 days manages to make his way to safety. This book is readable enough, but some of the dialog is, well, maybe fighter pilots did talk like that, I don't know, it's hard to believe. Lots of square-jawed USAF heroics, a few swipes at politicians and hippies, but all in all a decent enough account of a tense operation. Unfortunately, one of the major charact ...more
An amazing and inspiring adventure story about a pilot who was shot down over Northern South Vietnam during the NVA invasion of 1972, and it is a true life story too, which makes it all the more interesting.
The book is very well written and the language is authentic. Hambleton's story sheds a light on the way the Vietnam war worked on the inside. I wasn't even born when any of this happened, and it's not a political story, but the echos of the current ordeal in Afghanistan give in a lot to thin
Determination....this is a book about a man determined to survive being shot down in one of the most dangerous spots in the Vietnam War, and the determination of the Air Force to rescue him. This is based on a true story. The author wrote it in novel form so that the non-military reader would be able to understand and appreciate what happened. Although I knew he would be rescued, it was extremely suspenseful as I just couldn't see how that would be possible. This is a short book and quick to rea ...more
Yes biography & fiction... they took the story of a real Vietnam soldier trying to be rescued from behind enemy lines & changed some details, consolidated several people into fewer characters. The folks who had the brains to make it into a movie knew a great story when they read it. The movie stayed in my memory banks for years & so will the book. The two are actually very similar!!!!
Dan McNeeley
Very interesting story about the Vietnam war, and a true hero. In its story about a man shot down in enemy territory and his struggles to survive and escape, we also see a bit about the way the war was run. I knew the basic story from the movie, but the book of course told much more about what Col. Hambleton went through.
Swearing is a little bad. Didn't care for that. I didnt' remember that when I read it years ago as a teenager. But the story is really amazing how they rescued this man.
Great book. I had the honor of working with one of the PJs involved in this rescue during Desert Storm, many years later. Hell of a guy.
Aug 04, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read
my husband told methis is one of five books he has ever read and finished. I told him I will read it so we can discuss.
Great read.

A real E&E from the bad guys during the Vietnam War
Read this in high school upon the recommendation of a good friend.
Rebekah Brown
A very good book, although there was a lot of swearing.
Eileen Houser
Excellent book. Could not believe a true story!
Delia Colvin
Just a GREAT military book! Absolutely loved it!
Todd Bergman
Todd Bergman marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Tracy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Chris is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2015
Jeremy Israel
Jeremy Israel marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Sherri marked it as to-read
Chris Curless
Chris Curless marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Mike marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Libby marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Kristine Beskin
Kristine Beskin marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
What's The Name o...: Bat-21 story in Reader's Digest [s] 5 61 Jul 03, 2011 05:38PM
  • The Passing of the Night: My Seven Years as a Prisoner of the North Vietnamese
  • The Dawn's Early Light
  • The Coldest War: A Memoir of Korea
  • Years of Renewal
  • Washington Goes to War
  • Thud Ridge: F-105 Thunderchief missions over Vietnam
  • The Pentagon Papers
  • On Witchcraft
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • Fighter Wing: A Guided Tour of an Air Force Combat Wing (Guided Tour)
  • Devil's Guard
  • At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Tunnels of Cu Chi
  • Letters of a Nation
  • The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts
  • Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787 Reported by James Madison
  • Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath
William C. Anderson served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II up through the Vietnam War, retiring as a colonel. He began writing in the 1950s, with a series of columns for MATS Flyer, the magazine of the Air Force's Military Air Transport Service (later MAC Flyer, after MATS became the Military Airlift Command).

Several of his books were autobiographical accounts of the adventures of Anders
More about William C. Anderson...