Bat 21

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Book Review: Requiem for a Yankee Hero in Vietnam
By PAUL DEAN, Los Angeles Times, October 23, 1980
Excerpt:
"Lt. Col, Iceal E. Hambleton, U.S. Air Force, has been a forgotten hero since 1972. As North Vietnam's hammer was beating out South Vietnam's submission, Hambleton was shot down 12 miles south of the DMZ.
He later received the Silver Star and lesser medals. They don't...more
Mass Market Paperback, 222 pages
Published September 2nd 1983 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1980)

Andy
Jan 17, 2012 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 5-star
Well worth the read! You cant help but be impressed by the creativity and endurance displayed by both the downed airman and the rescuers.
Michael Burnam-fink
It's pretty much what it says on the tin. Lt Col Hambleton goes down behind enemy lines in the midst of the 1972 Easter Offensive, and after 12 days manages to make his way to safety. This book is readable enough, but some of the dialog is, well, maybe fighter pilots did talk like that, I don't know, it's hard to believe. Lots of square-jawed USAF heroics, a few swipes at politicians and hippies, but all in all a decent enough account of a tense operation. Unfortunately, one of the major charact...more
Rea
An amazing and inspiring adventure story about a pilot who was shot down over Northern South Vietnam during the NVA invasion of 1972, and it is a true life story too, which makes it all the more interesting.
The book is very well written and the language is authentic. Hambleton's story sheds a light on the way the Vietnam war worked on the inside. I wasn't even born when any of this happened, and it's not a political story, but the echos of the current ordeal in Afghanistan give in a lot to thin...more
Viola
Determination....this is a book about a man determined to survive being shot down in one of the most dangerous spots in the Vietnam War, and the determination of the Air Force to rescue him. This is based on a true story. The author wrote it in novel form so that the non-military reader would be able to understand and appreciate what happened. Although I knew he would be rescued, it was extremely suspenseful as I just couldn't see how that would be possible. This is a short book and quick to rea...more
Deb
Yes biography & fiction... they took the story of a real Vietnam soldier trying to be rescued from behind enemy lines & changed some details, consolidated several people into fewer characters. The folks who had the brains to make it into a movie knew a great story when they read it. The movie stayed in my memory banks for years & so will the book. The two are actually very similar!!!!
Dan McNeeley
Very interesting story about the Vietnam war, and a true hero. In its story about a man shot down in enemy territory and his struggles to survive and escape, we also see a bit about the way the war was run. I knew the basic story from the movie, but the book of course told much more about what Col. Hambleton went through.
Amy
Swearing is a little bad. Didn't care for that. I didnt' remember that when I read it years ago as a teenager. But the story is really amazing how they rescued this man.
Keith
Great book. I had the honor of working with one of the PJs involved in this rescue during Desert Storm, many years later. Hell of a guy.
Aug 04, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read
my husband told methis is one of five books he has ever read and finished. I told him I will read it so we can discuss.
Tom
Great read.

A real E&E from the bad guys during the Vietnam War
Joe
Read this in high school upon the recommendation of a good friend.
Rebekah Brown
A very good book, although there was a lot of swearing.
Eileen Houser
Excellent book. Could not believe a true story!
Delia Colvin
Just a GREAT military book! Absolutely loved it!
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Glenn Peach
Glenn Peach marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Trampas Jones
Trampas Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Travis of NNY
Travis of NNY marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Needaname
Needaname marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Jennifer Tooker
Jennifer Tooker marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
What's The Name o...: Bat-21 story in Reader's Digest [s] 5 60 Jul 03, 2011 05:38PM
William C. Anderson served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II up through the Vietnam War, retiring as a colonel. He began writing in the 1950s, with a series of columns for MATS Flyer, the magazine of the Air Force's Military Air Transport Service (later MAC Flyer, after MATS became the Military Airlift Command).

Several of his books were autobiographical accounts of the adventures of Anders...more
More about William C. Anderson...
Taming Mighty Alaska: An RV Odyssey Lady Bluebeard: The True Story of Love and Marriage, Death and Flypaper The great bicycle expedition. Freewheeling through Europe with a family, a potted plant--and bicycle seatus, Penelope Adam M-1