Start by marking “Recipes from the Dump” as Want to Read:
Recipes from the Dump

Recipes from the Dump

In a totally original first novel that's as American as Whitney Otto's How to Make an American Quilt, as satisfying as Laura Esquivel's Like Water for Chocolate, Stone tells the story of a woman's hunt for the essential ingredients in a cluttered world, a mock cookbook for our culture.
Published November 1st 1996 by Harper Perennial (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Recipes from the Dump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recipes from the Dump

Bianca Stone
Jun 18, 2011 Bianca Stone rated it it was amazing
An AMAZING book that balances humor with longing. The language is poetic, and the quick, natural wit of Stone's work continues to astound me. Here we have a true master of story telling, a writer who fearlessly explores the trials and tribulations of being a single woman trying to raise three children, without ever feeling preachy or sentimental. I've never read a book like this. Highly, highly recommended.
Maura Badji
Oct 03, 2016 Maura Badji rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-re-read, favorites
I loved this book. it was given to me by one of my best friends on my birthday during a difficult year. The many bad reviews here make me smile and shake my head. I found this story of a single mother of three trying to make sense of life in the 1990s full of quirky humor, warmth, and humanity. Go figure.
Linda
Jun 09, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is even too much stream of thought even for me, but I liked it somewhat. and it is short.
tbears
Nov 02, 2016 tbears rated it liked it
I can't explain why I liked this quirky book. I really didn't know what to expect from especially with such a strange title. It was almost like reading a diary.
Sandie
Oct 02, 2012 Sandie rated it really liked it
Creative and a roller coaster of emotions
Margaret
Mar 27, 2014 Margaret rated it did not like it
Ok. I lied on my status. I marked it as finished. Well, I did not finish reading the book, but I was finished trying.

Everything about this book called my name. The title...quirky, suggesting laughter and wisdom and down-home charm. The cover....depicting quirky down-home, country living. The reviews...promising laughter and charm. The inside cover....a single mother struggling to raise her children and to make sense of her life.

There was one recipe for Amish Friendship Bread which could be use
Dox
Jul 09, 2010 Dox rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2010
The recipes were generally more metaphoric than real, along the lines of taking one man, one woman, hope, love and stirring, etc.

While not completely unentertaining--it was interesting to piece together the bits of information on how the narrator came to be in her position--there was a lot of repetition, and the themes were vague, and not well formed as components of the story. Also, I grew tired of the narrator's constant return to some of the same topics within the story. This could have been
Tiff
Aug 01, 2010 Tiff rated it it was ok
The book was well meaning but took a few wrong turns. It had potential but I really couldn't connect to the characters. Toward the end of the book, the last 50 pages or so I really didn't want to go on, I couldn't see the plot landing in a place that would be satisfactory to me. Some of the "recipes" were cute and others tried too hard to be amusing and failed. Overall there was just something about the book that made me uncomfortable, it simply wasn't an enjoyable read nor was there really anyt ...more
Janice
Mar 24, 2016 Janice added it
This is the book that might have taught me, as a reader, to put a book down - that I do not have to finish every book I pick up!

I struggled through this whole book! I forced myself to read it. It depressed me. This woman was depressing on many levels. Although she owned being depresses as a reason for her moods and life style, but as a single woman, she made me mad, too -

Thank God I finished it!
Andrea
Aug 26, 2010 Andrea rated it did not like it
This book drove me crazy. I didn't even finish it. It was depressing and pointless even though raves on the cover made it look charming and funny. All the books I really wanted to get from the library were checked out the day I was there so I just grabbed this off the shelf. Note to self--don't do that. Plan ahead and put books on hold...
Cindy
Jul 17, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Hmmmm. Supposedly the purpose of my personal book journal dating from '06 is to prevent me from re-reading a book. Didn't seem to work here. In '07 I gave this novel 4 stars; can manage only 3 this time around. It's a quirky, stream-of-consciousness type book, which was occasionally hard to follow so I was merely reading the words without them sinking in.
Heav
May 20, 2012 Heav rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated it! The only reason I read it was the fact that it was the only book left in the car that I hadn't read, and I still had hours left to wait. The woman seemed very yes lonely, but also shallow, lazy and unworthy of the children .
Jessica (booneybear)
Ummm...I don't quite know what to make of this book. The author was witty and I enjoyed her take on creating 'recipes' out of life situations, but her constant whining about being single at the age of 36 just killed me. There is more to life than wanting a man.
Jesska
Sep 11, 2015 Jesska rated it really liked it
I thought this book was quite hilarious. It's meant to be light and funny by poking fun at the reality of herself, the place in which she lives, and our world today. Surely it could be viewed as depressing, but maybe it's because it's based in Vermont, where I am from, that I just "get it."
Christy
Jun 03, 2010 Christy rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
Probably one of the worst books we read for our book club. Depressing. Reviews said this was 'funny, delightful, endearing...' We didn't get it. Recipes didn't work - directions for recipes were bad. Shallow character - could have gone into some depth of character. Things didn't add up.
Sandy Neal
Apr 29, 2011 Sandy Neal rated it it was ok
Odd little book...So forgetable that I read it again 4/29/11 because none of it was familiar! Don't think I finished it before. Kind of an interesting rambling.
Africableu
Oct 06, 2009 Africableu rated it liked it
Quick read, easy to get through, and vastly quirky. The story was a little choppy, but not too much to enjoy.
Diana Eberhardt
Apr 20, 2016 Diana Eberhardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly odd, quite interesting report of a single mother's life and relationships, living near a dump.
Kim
Jun 29, 2015 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up partway through. 109 pages of the narrator doing little else than whine about not having a husband was 109 pages too much.
Catherine
Jun 12, 2013 Catherine rated it did not like it
The story had potential, but the main character was unlikeable. I kept waiting for the story line and main character to get better, but everything got worse.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it did not like it
Oct 08, 2013
Leah
Leah rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2015
Christine
Apr 17, 2010 Christine rated it liked it
Pretty humorous at times, but there was also a lot of negativity in it as well.
Enjoyable though.
Nicole Naunton
Nicole Naunton rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2009
Tasha Harley
Tasha Harley rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Enia
Enia rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Nancy Schaefer
Nancy Schaefer rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Ronda
Ronda rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2009
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2009
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2009