Start by marking “Safe at Home” as Want to Read:

Safe at Home

The spring of ’53 started out like any other for sports columnist Jack Hall, as he and the rest of his small southern town, Whitney, eagerly awaited the magical first pitch that would open the Bobcat’s season. But when ticket sales wane with the new distractions of air conditioning and I Love Lucy, the Bobcats face an early end not only to the season but to their careers a ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Safe at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe at Home

Mel
Jul 07, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I've ever read. It's the story of a small town in the South struggling with the concept of integration in the mid-1950s. The local minor league team is losing money, so the owner decided to bring in the first African American player. This one act sends ripples through both sides of town shattering their delusions of harmony forever.

I like that the author chose to make this story real. The characters are complex. This is no Disneyesque, everyone gets along story. It
Pam
Apr 03, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Have recommended to several people. Very good read.
Angel Parrish
Jan 26, 2015 Angel Parrish rated it liked it
Got this ebook for free...maybe from Vessel Project? I'm not sure.

This is a Christian book by a Christian author. It's not preachy, just involves a man who is saved and wants to do the right thing and considers what God would have him do. But that's about as far as it goes.

As for the book itself, the story is solid. It's a practical and realistic look at the South in the early days of desegregation. The middle drags out a bit, and the ending is abrupt. There were characters introduced near the e
Mckenzi Wallace
Mar 02, 2015 Mckenzi Wallace rated it liked it
I chose this book because I enjoy learning about history and baseball is a sport I've player since I was young. This book did a great job of incorporating the two and was historically accurate. The book did have many flaws in my opinion. First, I had a very difficult time gettin into the book. It seemed to drag for chapters just introducing characters and towns. It was close to the 7th or 8th chapter before any segregation was brought up in a topic and it was quickly cut out. Second, the book is ...more
Tammy
Oct 24, 2009 Tammy rated it liked it
A solid read. The characters, plot, and writing are just OK, but what made it interesting for me was the history. I gained a lot of understanding of the culture of the South and the atmosphere of the civil rights movement. It was worth reading just for that.
Debra
Apr 16, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
I felt strangely drawn to this book about baseball and civil rights in the 1950's south. I have never been very interested in baseball except as a way to relate to my husband and son. However, it didn't take long before the writer's easy style and love of baseball began to pull me in to the human connections of the story. Even the writer's descriptions of games did spoil the story for me.
Yes, this is a book about baseball, but even more it is about how we succeeded and more often failed as we'v
Rose Cimarron
I didn't fully understand all the baseball talk - but I'm not an American, and I'm sticking to that excuse! However, I don't think that my lack of understanding spoiled the book, since the explanations that went along with the descriptions helped and the point wasn't so much the play, but what happened around the play.

Safe at Home is not an easy read for someone who has grown up in a reasonably integrated society (I realise it's not perfect, however, I argue that all societies are works in progr
Fran
Mar 09, 2010 Fran rated it it was amazing
By Richard Doster

Percy Jackson is a 17-year-old third-baseman who has a battling average that any major leaguer would envy. He has a great swing, can pitch and is an all around player. But, he has a major strike against him. He is black. Back in 1953, in the small town of Whitney where everyone knew everyone’s business, having a black man on the town’s baseball team was unheard of.

In 1953 prejudice is a disease as deadly as Aids. It spread through small, Southern towns, igniting fea
Meghan
Mar 20, 2012 Meghan rated it really liked it
I'm not really much of a baseball fan, but I enjoyed this book chronicling a southern small town minor league team as it pursued integration (and, by integration I mean adding one black player to the team) and the newspaper sports writer/narrator who loved his team. Set in the mid-to-late 50s, the narrator is a realistic character who struggles with balancing the lifestyle he likes and was raised in with the financial decline of his local team and the issue of integration. Reading this as a nort ...more
J.E. Jr.
Sep 24, 2012 J.E. Jr. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed reading through this novel by Richard Doster: a strong storyline, compelling and believable characters, and an underlying message that both encourage and challenge the heart.

Set in the 50s in the deep South, Doster presents an indirect (and sometimes quite direct!) commentary on civil rights and the struggle of two vastly different cultures to come to grips with life together. At times the tale is surprising; yet had you told me this was a memoir instead of fiction, I would hav
Barbara
Apr 16, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This was a captivating story dealing with racial tension in the 1950's. The emotions, reactions, and decisions of a small southern town immerse the reader in the time period and the dilemma. Was having a negro player on the minor league baseball team enough to save the town's favorite pastime? Would that decision then lead to integration in other areas of life, which many didn't want? Both the African American and Caucasian points of view were presented and, as there would be in real life, both ...more
Judy
Nice read. Story of a Southern small town sports writer who faces many decisions regarding the civil rights movement. Baseball is the medium used to first integrate African Americans into white culture. Jack Hall is initially for this because he believes it will save the local semi-professional team financially because of the additional African American fans who will attend. This is typical of the "right" choices that were made, but made for monetary reasons rather than to bring equality between ...more
Sue
historical fiction of racial tension in the south and the integration of african american baseball players. Hard to believe that people thought like that only 60 years ago.
Denise
Nov 18, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
You never know what you are going to get when you download a free book, but this was a really good book! The first line, "Four events have molded the world to its current form", was a great start.

This is the story of a small town in the 1950's South whose minor league baseball team in struggling. It is decided by some that the only way to save the team is to integrate it. To most of the town, this was unthinkable. So this is the story of the people on both sides of the town, the 17 year black pl
Allison
Feb 05, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Very good historical fiction would read it again but too long...wonderful but sad portrayal of how blacks were treated just wonderful
Shirley
Jan 20, 2015 Shirley rated it liked it
This is a terrific book for any fan of baseball. Set in the 1950's in the south just as the color barriers were broken and how a small southern town reacted.
Sally Beaudean
Feb 27, 2012 Sally Beaudean rated it really liked it
I was immediately taken in by the author's style and found myself reading with a Southern drawl. The baseball "play-by-play" descriptions were sensually enjoyable. My love of the game was enriched, and my understanding of just how much baseball's history is entwined with our country's history was magnified. I shared events and emotions with the characters -- sometimes angry, sometimes sad, many times flabbergasted. We've come a long way in our road to desegregation, and this story, with the back ...more
Kandi
Aug 27, 2013 Kandi rated it it was amazing
If you love baseball, you should read this book. If you are interested in civil rights, you should read this book. I will warn you though, kit is quite graphic about the way black people were treated in the mid 50's. It is well written from a sports writers view and a man who has to choose between telling the facts as they are about a young black man who is a brilliant baseball player. His family suffers just as the young black man's suffers. It is a shame how people in the town of Whitney could ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Aug 27, 2015 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2015
This ebook was free when I downloaded it to my Nook library in 2012.
I enjoyed this story of a sportswriter and other southern folk struggling with racial equality in 1953-1955. For those readers who find difficulty accepting Atticus Finch's character in "Go Set A Watchman," this book may make his struggle to get along with his neighbors more understandable. It was just coincidence I read these books near the same time.
I liked this quote, "Baseball oozes through the man's pores like sweat throug
Carter
Jul 08, 2008 Carter rated it really liked it
Using baseball as the backdrop for a much larger and greater story, Dick Doster has done a great job of capturing the conflict (both inner and outer, mental and physical) that surrounded (and still surround) the issue of racial segregation in the American South.

Beyond that, this is a story about perseverance, dignity in the face of adversity and examining the flaws within ourselves that prevent us from seeing the world beyond the borders of our own own hometowns.
Amy
May 25, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Written by my uncle -- his first novel -- pretty cool!

I reserve five starts for my very, very, very favorites. That being said, this was a great book! I cared about the characters and was impressed by the imagery (Remember when your creative writing teacher kept saying "show me, don't tell me"? Safe at Home does a wonderful job showing you the lives of its characters.)
Chuck
Mar 09, 2012 Chuck rated it really liked it
A work of historical fiction that you can enjoy even if you are not a baseball fan. It discusses the integration of Black minor league baseball players into the minor leagues of baseball in the South during the early and mid fifties. A portrayal of just hard it was for these young men. Also a reminder of how far we have come in the last 60 years.
Michelle
Dec 04, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Doster does a really good job drawing you into these characters stuck in the turmoil and confusion of segregation in the South. It's centered around baseball, and gets into really good detail. It's centered around it, so I could see how those who don't know much about it or don't care about it wouldn't be enticed in the slightest.
A Michael
Oct 22, 2012 A Michael rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the story (and I am not even an ardent baseball fan). However, I found reading about the vitriolic defense of segregationism that existed in the South in the early to mid-1950's rather disturbing. So much has changed for the better in the past 60 years; and yet, society still needs to make further progress.
Patty
Jun 21, 2012 Patty rated it it was ok
The story was thoughtful and captured the mood of the times and the place - from what I know of them. But it was just a bit too pat, especially the main character, and I couldn't get beyond the inaccurate depiction of journalism - even small-town journalism of the 1950s - and a few other problems.
Kate
Jun 17, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a thoughtful novel. Interesting perspective on the prelude to the racial unrest surrounding desegregation. I found the characters worth getting to know, and will continue to mull over their circumstances. I think that the author wrote a sequel which I will look up.
John
Sep 10, 2012 John rated it really liked it
A good book about breaking the color barrier in the minor leagues. Hard to believe, but after reading this I can actually see where we have made progress in race relations in this country. We still have lots of work to do, but I'm glad for the progress we have made.
Ken
Oct 24, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it
A book that opened my eyes in new ways to the horrible treatment African Americans received in the South in the '50s! Reading this book during the shooting of nine in Charleston in June 2015.
Rachel
Dec 11, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because it handles a different era and setting of history than what I was familiar with. The writing is pretty good, and the plot is strong throughout. The Christian principles are presented tastefully.
Marsha Bazan
Nov 01, 2009 Marsha Bazan rated it liked it
Well Id say it was a book worth reading. It made me feel sad, angry and happy in different parts. I still dont know if I like the main characters wife very much, but im on the second book now so Ill see how I feel after that one.
  • Horses of the Sun (Outback Riders, #1)
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • Night Flight
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
  • Wildflowers of Terezin
  • Salsa Invertebraxa
  • Unto These Hills
  • Blue Hole Back Home
  • Sophie and the Rising Sun
  • An Irish Christmas
  • Alaskan Hearts
  • For That Day
  • Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise (Bright's Pond #2)
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads #1)
  • The Edge of Grace