Start by marking “The Key To The Indian” as Want to Read:
The Key To The Indian

The Key To The Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard #5)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,931 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The fifth title in this gripping series about Omri and his plastic North American Indian -- Little Bull -- who comes alive when Omri puts him in a cupboard Omri and his father travel back in time to find Little Bull and his people in deep trouble, torn between staying in the West and facing extinction or starting a long trek to a new life in Canada. Omri's final parting wi ...more
Paperback
Published November 3rd 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Key To The Indian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key To The Indian

Tarissa
Jul 04, 2015 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Key to the Indian is the end to a fantastic book series! I don't usually read the fantasy genre, but this is one series I'm glad to have expanded my literary horizons with.

The final book ends with Omri attempting to achieve his most challenging adventure yet -- taking multiple people back in time to visit the Mohawk Indians and save his "toy" friend, Little Bear's, tribe.

I'm so impressed with how the author brought Omri's parents into the adventure. Most books written for children try to sho
S
Feb 25, 2016 S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this by mistake while trying to replace my over-read copy of the Secret of the Indian for my littlest sister. Until then I had no idea there was a fifth Indian in the Cupboard book, though of course I'd always wished for more. What a trip. What a story. This completely turned my week around.
Kate Matson
Apr 17, 2016 Kate Matson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th graders
I decided to read this novel because I had read all the other Indian In The Cupboard books, and I enjoyed them.
This book starts out very childish. It was about 4th-grade reading level, and I was bored throughout the first half. I felt that Omri's dad was not acting like an adult. He was acting like he was 12 years old; no concerns for safety. Then, the second half went uphill. It started getting more intense, and a little bit of violence. Surprisingly, there was quite a bit of language. I don't
Mary-Jane
This book and the one previous to it in the series were not as good as the first three; the first three books capture the interest of a child as toy plastic Indians and cowboys come alive from different time periods in history.

I would not suggest this as a children's book as it covers difficult topics of suicide and rape and it features an "Indian" massacre at the hands of white settlers. While these events have happened in history, conveying this information to children requires sensitivity.

W
Dione Basseri
The final adventure of Onri and Little Bull. And it's a bit of a relief to readers, really. The previous book manages a good resolution, but Banks apparently had one last thing to cover: the fate of Little Bull's tribe. Onri and his father work together to find a way to save them, without also altering the fabric of time. If that's possible. It's really unclear.

There's also a bit about Onri's friend, Patrick, turning back to his jerk ways, which is just REALLY unsatisfying! After four books of P
Gale
May 24, 2013 Gale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE LEGACY OF THE LONGHOUSE

Will this be the ultimate Going Back adventure for Omri, the brave and clever boy who discovered the secret of the Indian--and a special cupboard? There is a twist this time, however, as Omri's father is in on the secret and the action. But Time Travel is hazardous even for adults; there are serious dangerss both to the travelers and those they visit in the Past.

Little Bear's people are threatened with annihilation by American colonists; can 20th century British alli
Kimbolimbo
Feb 17, 2016 Kimbolimbo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I am so glad this series came to an end, not because they were poorly written or I was tired of the adventure but because I was ready to move on to another author and had there been more books I'd keep reading them.

My question from this book: was the author trying to get the readers to rethink their belief in God? Made me think of a quote from Nacho Libre "I don't believe in God, I only believe in Science" (I only thought of this quote because my nephew just made me watch it with him). In this s
Colleen
Dec 14, 2013 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine recently said that after finishing a series, she wasn't ready to start another new book because it would be "rebound." We laughed but after finishing this series, I feel the same.

While not on par with the fourth book, this final tale was fantastic in its own right. It was clear early on though that the author was determined to end the tale once and for all. It made reading it bittersweet but it was well executed. She clearly did her research on the Mohawk tribe and managed to de
MJ
Nov 10, 2015 MJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luciano
Jan 29, 2009 Luciano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is the sequel to the Mystery of the Cupboard. In this story the father of Omri, the lead character in all the Cupboard stories, finds out the secret of the Cupboard and gets involved in an adventure to help out Little Bear and his tribe of Iroquois Indians.

Rather than presenting the Indians as Western Movie Caricatures, the author made it a point to really understand the Iroquios culture as the discriptions of their villages, how they dressed and their culture is realistically discribed
Caleb
Sep 02, 2015 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omri's dad had just found out about the magic cupboard in the last book and this picks up right where that left off. Little Bear's tribe is in trouble and he needs Omri and his dad to help. Omri wants to help, but is not quite sure how to. Meanwhile his dad becomes obsessed with the idea of helping out. Also his brother starts to get a little suspicious of everything happening, but Omri doesn't want anything to affect their friendship. Especially now that he is working with his father, it is als ...more
David
Mar 10, 2014 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, fiction
The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard #5) by Lynne Reid Banks (Harper Trophy 1998)(Fiction). Omri and his rather must both travel to Little Bear's world to try to save his friend. My rating; 4/10, finished 3/10/14.
Just
Dec 14, 2015 Just rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final in the Indian in the Cupboard series. It didn't disappoint. Such a great read for young kids.
Caleb
Jun 27, 2015 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it a lot it was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bernice Tsao
Mar 21, 2016 Bernice Tsao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i wish it continued....
Heidi
This final novel in the Indian in the Cupboard series was a bit better than the previous entry. The action at least includes Little Bear and a tiny bit of Boone, both sorely lacking in book #4. I still think the language/situations were too mature and too advanced for most 9-year-olds and better suited to a pre-teen or YA reader. I stand by my earlier assessment that this series should have stopped with #3 and most readers should too.
Kim
Jul 20, 2009 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't planning on finishing this series, mainly because books 3 and 4 let me down so much. However, I'm glad I did. There was much more character involvement in the final instalment, Although not enough of Boone if you ask me! I still stick by my statement that all 5 really aren't necessary, however Little Bull and co will always remain in my childhood memories, and I'm glad I had them!
Karen
Sep 02, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Indian in the Cupboard Lovers
Recommended to Karen by: My children
Shelves: read-aloud
This one had more history than some of the others. It is more violent - the main characters are put in history themselves, in times of war. I like it for the history, but more for the great examples of courage for right - protecting family at the cost of personal life. The main character struggles with what he wants versus what is right - a great conversation to have with kids!
Nikki
Nov 22, 2010 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read only in the interests of completion.

So flippin' convoluted and fantastical -- and yes, yes, I know, fantasy, but from the simple beginnings of the first book, this stretches a decent idea much too far.

(And that's without even speaking about the stereotypes and racism, etc.)
Allanna
Jun 16, 2008 Allanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's the conclusion to the Indian in the Cupboard series.

I had forgotten that I really had read it a few years ago.
It was good ... but it's definitely not my favorite of the series (That would be The Mystery of the Cupboard).
Patty
Nov 29, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow the author makes something so unbelievable believable. I enjoyed the characters, the plots, and the brief visits to a world where plastic figures can bring people from another time. I'm glad I read the whole series.
Jul 08, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-reader
Better than some of the books, but not nearly as good at the first one. It was interesting to have Omri's father in on the secret. A nice end to the series, although it sometimes took too long to get to the point.
Heidi
May 16, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good conclusion to a classic series. I wish I would have read these books when I was younger. I recommend it for the young, and the young at heart.
Annamarie
I did like the relationship of the boy and his father, and how they experienced the adventure together. It's nice to see parents portrayed as good guys in children's literature.
Jade
Jun 25, 2013 Jade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynne Reid Banks is such an amazing author. I fell in love with this book and the other four Indian in the Cupboard books. I really recommend this book.
lionlady
Feb 21, 2008 lionlady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
One of those series I just might read again :-) And I don't like reading books twice. Totally enjoyed this.
Kirstie
Jan 13, 2015 Kirstie rated it it was amazing
Part of one of my favourite series, this really got me into reading when I was younger
Alan Shen
Aug 30, 2009 Alan Shen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Then his fucking dad gets involved and they time travel together. It's wild.
Diana Sandberg
Excellent. These characters grow and deepen with each book. Very fine.
Gab Rose
Sep 04, 2014 Gab Rose rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
I read this in like, 4th grade. I don't actually remember what it was about. :/
  • Paddington Treasury
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • George Washington's Spy
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • Mandie and the Singing Chalet (Mandie, 17)
  • Knots on a Counting Rope
  • The One and Only Shrek!
  • Dorothy of Oz
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)
  • The Black Stallion's Ghost (The Black Stallion, #17)
  • The Cartoonist
  • Ten Kids, No Pets
  • Be a Wolf! (Adventures of Wishbone, #1)
  • New Faces, New Friends (Grandma's Attic #9)
Lynne Reid Banks is a British author of books for children and adults. She has written forty books, including the best-selling children's novel The Indian in the Cupboard, which has sold over 10 million copies and been made into a film.
Banks was born in London, the only child of James and Muriel Reid Banks. She was evacuated to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada during World War II but returned after
More about Lynne Reid Banks...

The Indian in the Cupboard (5 books)
  • The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1)
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)