Start by marking “Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01

Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,431 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Shy Ayu Tateishi has just made a new friend at school. But this new friend, much to her surprise, is no ordinary classmate. Nina Sakura may look like a normal middle school girl, but she's got a big secret.

She's a witch.

Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
31st out of 640 books — 1,469 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
142nd out of 836 books — 3,175 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Apr 26, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, comics
What drew me to Ultra Maniac was the art. It's really very cute. The plot is sort of silly, and fun. Nina is a (not very good) witch who wants to help her new friend Ayu with her magic. And hijinks ensue. It's light, silly, and fun, and the romance is very much on the backburner compared to the friendship between Ayu and Nina. Nina is an especially fun character to read, and I thought that her system of magic was interesting, even if it does need a little more explanation in later volumes. I'll ...more
Azzahro Wijaya
Jun 13, 2011 Azzahro Wijaya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Satu hal yang bikin menarik dari komik ini yaitu nama tokoh utamanya. Ayu sama Nina (Indonesia banget). Seperti biasa, Wataru Yoshizumi kalau bikin cerita di awalnya emang suka bikin kaget. Ayu ini orang yang ga percaya sama sihir, Harry Potter atau apa lah... tapi malah ketemu sama Nina, yang merupakan penyihir gagal. Di pertengahan bahkan sampai mendekati ending cerita biasanya Wataru Yoshizumi munculin banyak karakter baru yang jadi pesaing-pesaing atau musuh dari karakter utama. Memang sudah ...more
Brandi
Apr 14, 2015 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Wataru Yoshizumi's "Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01" is beautifully illustrated. The protagonists, Ayu and Nina, are both likable and endearing. There is a lot of humour in this volume, which I enjoy, and I hope this carries through to future volumes, which I look forward to reading.
I think fans of the "Pixie Pop" series would probably enjoy this series as well. I know I did, but I'm kind of into all of that too-sweet-might-give-yourself-a-toothache cuteness.
Timothy Stone
Oct 06, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing
Ultra Maniac is a very fun shojo manga that is a tad slow to start but is has a fun enough plot and other good things going for it that this is forgivable.

It's the story of a shy, but beautiful young middle-school girl named Ayu who is head over heels in love with boy named Tetsushi. Because of this, she has remade herself to be the kind of cool girl that she thinks he would want. They seem to be getting closer, when a new girl comes to the school and latches onto Ayu as her new best friend.

The
Phoebe Andamo
May 05, 2015 Phoebe Andamo rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, w
The world of cool and calm Ayu was shaken when she met the maniac-like student Nina. She found the portable PC that Nina lost. In exchange, Nina trusted Ayu with her secret. It was the start of their friendship. Nina wanted to help Ayu solve her little problems but it always end up in disasters.

Ultra Maniac has a special place in my heart. It was one of those animés that made me addicted to animé itself *cough*still is*cough*. I was looking for this manga back when the scanlations were limited a
Lottie Eve
Nov 22, 2012 Lottie Eve rated it it was amazing
This is a review on the entire series

I have read this manga a long time ago but it was so awesome I decided to review it. I love magical girl manga as they almost always promise to be cute and fun reads. Ultra Maniac did not disappoint! This manga was cute, funny, and quick read that I enjoyed very, very much.

The characters are all very cute, funny, and unique. They all had their own funny personalities. Nina and Ayu were really fun to read about and Nina's magical mishaps and the situations she
Wilma Monica
Mar 10, 2016 Wilma Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Na ah!
Yesterday was indeed my nostalgic days~~
I read manga all night
Probably on 9 and early 10 March~~

I'm so sad to know that my 4th and 5th book are gone~~
Let me tell a story first
I have my bookshelf coming today
So yesterday literally my life was about cleaning my room and books from my old shelf, and safe some place in my room for my shelf!
AND I FINALLY DISCOVERED

that my books were gone
I'm so sad.. but I will keep searching for my books!! no matter what!!
huh~
end up, I read the 4th and 5th book
Brookelyn
The book Ultra Maniac was about two girls named Nina she's a witch from the magic kingdom and Ayu she's a shy but she's popular with the younger girls. She also has a serious crush on Tetsushi. This all starts when Ayu sees nina crying and helps Nina find her magic pc Ayu didn't want to be noesy so she didn't ask nina what the symbols ment in the pc.Nina then tells Ayu about her powers and how she came here studying abroad and how she was a magic school drop out. Throughout the story nina tries ...more
Kristen
Jan 03, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Great little series of manga that is rated A for All Ages. About a girl who is a witch and a girl that becomes her friend. There is a lot of mishap spells and a bit of romance. So far, I love the series.
Irene
Aug 23, 2012 Irene rated it it was amazing
Un clásico que emitieron en España durante los 90, y que gustó mucho.
Va de magia, romance y todo eso :)
Sereneblaze

She's a witch.

Or, rather, she's studying to be a witch. And, apparently, she's not doing her homework. Her spells are devastating in their ineffectiveness and often result in the most embarrassing situations for poor Ayu.

But things wouldn't be so bad if Nina's sorcery didn't make Ayu look s
Anonomanga
Dec 22, 2011 Anonomanga rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This manga is a little different to me than other shojo manga, in a good way. I like that the romantic focus is on one girl and one guy, instead of some triangle or polygon of multiple guys falling for one girl. The story follows the two girlfriends finding/realizing love, and has equal focus on their own friendship and Nina's magical blunders. I find it a nice change from the usual stories that come from Shojo Beat [not that I don't like manga from Shojo Beat].

The art is nice as well; it's defi
M. Rajab Al-mukarrom
Dec 18, 2012 M. Rajab Al-mukarrom rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
curcol: baru nemu tempat rental komik dekat rumah. gilak! komiknya banyak banget. nilai plusnya banyak komik-komik lama angkatan Ryo Azuki, Wataru Yoshizumi, Wataru Mizukami, dll. :p

okeh, ke manga ini sekarang: udah lama banget ngincer manga yang satu ini! seru, sih, tapi kurang greget. muka gue datar banget pas baca ini. ke romantisme-annya juga nggak begitu ditampilkan.
bahasa yang digunakan penerjemah dalam komik ini juga gue kurang suka aja gitu.
kayak "WHAT THEFF" "Anjir" "So Wat Geto Loh"
cheyenne
Apr 08, 2010 cheyenne rated it it was amazing
the plot in this book is about ayu finding out about this girl Nina. And since she found out Nina's secret. Ayu's life has gotten so hard. Nina tricks ayu into taking chocolates or jewerly. But not in a good way. Ayu gets turned into a boy twice. And found interesting stuff about becuase that are kind of close to her.
i can connect to this book becuase if some tricked me. I would be really mad becuase i'm messing up my life. And now its kind of weird when i see or talk to people. so i would be
Sarah Stevens
Dec 08, 2015 Sarah Stevens rated it really liked it
This is the first manga series I ever read. This is what got me 100% hooked on manga. There used to be a time where I could finish one in 20 minutes or less. But anyway, this book (series) is so cute and adorable. I feel like a like of people can relate to Nina because she's my personal fave character. =)
Jenny Clark
May 19, 2016 Jenny Clark rated it really liked it
Cute and sweet. Sometimes there seam to be more reaction shots then needed. The artist has stated she decided to draw the girls more like high schoolers and just make them act like middle schoolers, but I honostly think that Nina at least looks middle school-ish. Ayu does in some panels as well.
Laure Souza
It's pretty good. I'd only recommend it for 10+ though... The plotline was amazing! It included the life of middle/high school and magic! I'm sure there's much more to be seen from Nina and Ayu, though... :)
Natalie
Ultra Maniac sits on the border between children's manga and YA - packed with humor, the romance aspect is light and fun and often takes a backseat to the warm friendship between Ayu and Nina, an aspiring witch. There are even a few gender-bending scenes (my favorite!). The art is gorgeous and fits well with the lighthearted, cutesy plot.

That same lightheartedness might work against the manga - the plot lacks any serious substance. The shenanigans are solved easily and there are never any lasti
Marianna
May 11, 2016 Marianna rated it really liked it
Very cute manga for all ages, if a little repetitive after a while. Surprising plot twist at the end definitely keeps things interesting. I didn't see it coming!
Happystar
Jan 18, 2015 Happystar rated it really liked it
The art is really great. This series is really funny. I love seeing the characters grow more mature. The friendship between the two main characters is heartwarming and beautiful.
RoseChen
May 09, 2016 RoseChen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's a good book. I've read the whole series.
Melisa
Jul 18, 2015 Melisa rated it liked it
I read all 5. Easy, fun reads!
Naomi Brown
Oct 22, 2015 Naomi Brown rated it really liked it
Really funny and clean!
Nuzhamhr
Nov 09, 2014 Nuzhamhr rated it it was amazing
nice
Hunter Iris
Apr 26, 2016 Hunter Iris rated it it was amazing
PLEASE TELL ME MY SHIPS WILL COME TRUE!!
Cassandra
Apr 26, 2012 Cassandra rated it really liked it
This manga is so cute! The dynamic is very funny - long-suffering Ayu and well-meaning, but often screw-up Nina. As a series, it’s not going to break any new ground, but for what it is - a high school fantasy comedy, it does it very well. I want to read the next book to find out what’s up Tetsushi and if Ayu will realize that Hikori is a much better crush to have (in my opinion).
Bani M
Mar 04, 2010 Bani M rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, manga-owned
I enjoyed this one so much! Very cute, sweet, and relaxing. The artwork is pretty- it doesn't take huge risks but remains consistently nice and smooth. The expressions of the characters (Nina especially) make the funnier parts shine. It's also worth mentioning that there is nothing that could be considered questionable/objectionable in this series, fine for all ages.
Elizabeth
Nov 25, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, I really liked this one. I remember saving up dimes and nickels so I could afford it at the Scholastic Book Fair at my elementary school when I was in fifth grade. I even stayed after school to buy it! It was definitely not a disappointment. If you like cute stories illustrated beautifully, then you'll love Ultra Maniac.
Jun 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow : ) I really enjoyed this volume, Nina gave Ayu some magic truth chocolates to give to Tetsushi to make him tell her who he liked, but he gave them to her instead, and she blurted truths out and got into a quite a predicament, lol : ) and then Nina found out Tetsushi's true colors too, wow : ) love this manga series! <3
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 01
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 1
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Vol. 01
  • Kitchen Princess, Vol. 03 (Kitchen Princess, #3)
  • Mamotte! Lollipop, Vol. 01
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 4 (MeruPuri, #4)
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 3 (Imadoki!: Nowadays, #3)
  • Fall in Love Like a Comic! Vol. 1
  • Yurara, Vol. 1
  • Magical X Miracle, Vol. 1 (Magical x Miracle, #1)
  • Othello, Volume 1
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)
  • Kamichama Karin, Vol. 01
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 1 (Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, #1)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 4 (Beauty Pop, #4)
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01
Wataru Yoshizumi (吉住渉, Yoshizumi Wataru) is a Japanese mangaka. She was born as Mari Nakai (中井 真里, Nakai Mari) on June 18, 1963 in Tokyo, Japan. She graduated with a degree in economics from Hitotsubashi University.

Yoshizumi started her career as a mangaka while working as an office lady. Her debut manga was a yomikiri (short story) called "Radical Romance" that was published in 1984, in the summe
More about Wataru Yoshizumi...

Ultra Maniac (5 books)