Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01

Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  5,045 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Shy Ayu Tateishi has just made a new friend at school. But this new friend, much to her surprise, is no ordinary classmate. Nina Sakura may look like a normal middle school girl, but she's got a big secret.

She's a witch.

Or, rather, she's studying to be a witch. And, apparently, she's not doing her homework. Her spells are devastating in their ineffectiveness and often re...more
Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
36th out of 569 books — 1,175 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
127th out of 863 books — 2,465 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
What drew me to Ultra Maniac was the art. It's really very cute. The plot is sort of silly, and fun. Nina is a (not very good) witch who wants to help her new friend Ayu with her magic. And hijinks ensue. It's light, silly, and fun, and the romance is very much on the backburner compared to the friendship between Ayu and Nina. Nina is an especially fun character to read, and I thought that her system of magic was interesting, even if it does need a little more explanation in later volumes. I'll...more
Azzahro Wijaya
Satu hal yang bikin menarik dari komik ini yaitu nama tokoh utamanya. Ayu sama Nina (Indonesia banget). Seperti biasa, Wataru Yoshizumi kalau bikin cerita di awalnya emang suka bikin kaget. Ayu ini orang yang ga percaya sama sihir, Harry Potter atau apa lah... tapi malah ketemu sama Nina, yang merupakan penyihir gagal. Di pertengahan bahkan sampai mendekati ending cerita biasanya Wataru Yoshizumi munculin banyak karakter baru yang jadi pesaing-pesaing atau musuh dari karakter utama. Memang sudah...more
Phoebe Andamo
The world of cool and calm Ayu was shaken when she met the maniac-like student Nina. She found the portable PC that Nina lost. In exchange, Nina trusted Ayu with her secret. It was the start of their friendship. Nina wanted to help Ayu solve her little problems but it always end up in disasters.

Ultra Maniac has a special place in my heart. It was one of those animés that made me addicted to animé itself *cough*still is*cough*. I was looking for this manga back when the scanlations were limited a...more
Lottie Eve
This is a review on the entire series

I have read this manga a long time ago but it was so awesome I decided to review it. I love magical girl manga as they almost always promise to be cute and fun reads. Ultra Maniac did not disappoint! This manga was cute, funny, and quick read that I enjoyed very, very much.

The characters are all very cute, funny, and unique. They all had their own funny personalities. Nina and Ayu were really fun to read about and Nina's magical mishaps and the situations she...more
Kristen
Great little series of manga that is rated A for All Ages. About a girl who is a witch and a girl that becomes her friend. There is a lot of mishap spells and a bit of romance. So far, I love the series.
Irene
Un clásico que emitieron en España durante los 90, y que gustó mucho.
Va de magia, romance y todo eso :)
Anonomanga
This manga is a little different to me than other shojo manga, in a good way. I like that the romantic focus is on one girl and one guy, instead of some triangle or polygon of multiple guys falling for one girl. The story follows the two girlfriends finding/realizing love, and has equal focus on their own friendship and Nina's magical blunders. I find it a nice change from the usual stories that come from Shojo Beat [not that I don't like manga from Shojo Beat].

The art is nice as well; it's defi...more
Rajab Al-mukarrom
curcol: baru nemu tempat rental komik dekat rumah. gilak! komiknya banyak banget. nilai plusnya banyak komik-komik lama angkatan Ryo Azuki, Wataru Yoshizumi, Wataru Mizukami, dll. :p

okeh, ke manga ini sekarang: udah lama banget ngincer manga yang satu ini! seru, sih, tapi kurang greget. muka gue datar banget pas baca ini. ke romantisme-annya juga nggak begitu ditampilkan.
bahasa yang digunakan penerjemah dalam komik ini juga gue kurang suka aja gitu.
kayak "WHAT THEFF" "Anjir" "So Wat Geto Loh"...more
cheyenne
the plot in this book is about ayu finding out about this girl Nina. And since she found out Nina's secret. Ayu's life has gotten so hard. Nina tricks ayu into taking chocolates or jewerly. But not in a good way. Ayu gets turned into a boy twice. And found interesting stuff about becuase that are kind of close to her.
i can connect to this book becuase if some tricked me. I would be really mad becuase i'm messing up my life. And now its kind of weird when i see or talk to people. so i would be...more
Mary
It reminds me a lot of Sabrina the Teenage Witch (a show I loved while I was growing up). I really enjoyed it.
Cassandra
This manga is so cute! The dynamic is very funny - long-suffering Ayu and well-meaning, but often screw-up Nina. As a series, it’s not going to break any new ground, but for what it is - a high school fantasy comedy, it does it very well. I want to read the next book to find out what’s up Tetsushi and if Ayu will realize that Hikori is a much better crush to have (in my opinion).
Bani M
I enjoyed this one so much! Very cute, sweet, and relaxing. The artwork is pretty- it doesn't take huge risks but remains consistently nice and smooth. The expressions of the characters (Nina especially) make the funnier parts shine. It's also worth mentioning that there is nothing that could be considered questionable/objectionable in this series, fine for all ages.
Elizabeth
Surprisingly, I really liked this one. I remember saving up dimes and nickels so I could afford it at the Scholastic Book Fair at my elementary school when I was in fifth grade. I even stayed after school to buy it! It was definitely not a disappointment. If you like cute stories illustrated beautifully, then you'll love Ultra Maniac.
It's really funny, and also very cute! I had fun reading it. It was so enjoyable, I checked out all the available volumes at the local library. It only took me a few minutes to finish the first volume.
Brittany Hernandez
I had NO IDEA that we where able to add manga here but it is awesome. The series was a bit short but had a good plot and i wished it was longer. I read a lot of manga so i can't remember too much of what happened. If i added all of the manga i've read i wouldn't be done until tomorrow night.
Rachel
Jun 22, 2009 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good story, but doesn't like a big long novel
Recommended to Rachel by: Abbey
I thought this book was sweet, funny, and exciting all at the same time. It was really funny how Nina (a witch-in-training) messed up so often, but it was also really funny how her friends reacted. I will and did read the rest of the books in the series. Awesome books.
Jessikah
Sep 22, 2008 Jessikah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Teeny Bopper Fantasy
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
What can I say, this title is SO freaking cute and just a lot of fun! A Shoujo Manga which manages to be light on the melodrama (there is a little.. but its not too hard to stomach)

Good for fans of teeny bopper fantasy. It is tame enough for the tweens also.
K
The two girls even though it is anime..... it's really cute. BFF and always will be. this book is one of many manga that would bring a smile to people's faces. About popularity, friendship, crushes, and MAGIC. even good ideas of magic turn bad. What will happen?!
Sarah Maddaford
It's just a bit too cutesy for me. The affectations that Nina displays are sugary and annoying. I can see where a young teen might like the story because it does have a pair of girls finding love and friendship in a school environment. It just isn't for me.
Nidhi
Really sweet, funny, liked the style used by the author, no gr8 big complicated storyline, is actually quite simple...which is probably what is likeable about it...is worth a read, i'm not sure boys will find it interesting though...
Skye Williams
So I remembered buying and reading this book and vol.2 back when I was in middle school and loving them! Well I found it and after a reread found it lacking in substance. Defiantly recommended for the younger crowd, very cutesy and girly.
Nix
Jan 06, 2012 Nix rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nix by: MoMo
Shelves: romance, manga
I liked the art in a few of the frames, but the characters always turning into chibis distracted me. I know it's a common manga technique, but I'm not sure I quite liked it.

The plot was really silly and surface-level.
Annice22
I thought this was really funny and a good read. I also like the main characters Ayu and Nina (the witch in training). I enjoyed reading this and can't wait to read the second volume.
Rachel
Romantic comedy series about a trainee witch and her best friend. Nina is quite klutzy, making for a amusing read, but at its core it is a story of friendship and growth.
Jocelyn De
It was a mixture of how middle school and high school relationship and drama is with a twist of magic and multi worlds. The entire series is entirely cute and funny.
Qiana King
It was cute and funny--filled with happy Nina trying to make 'Ayu dear' happy, but she keeps making mistakes! Cute and funny and definitely recommended!
Emma
Nov 03, 2008 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens
I liked this so much! It was really really good! It is one of the best mangas I have read! The drawings are really pretty.
Jenalyn
Cute. Not the greatest, but a fun, clean read. Not sure about Jr. High students having boyfriends and girlfriends, though...
Amanda
I loved it, couldn't put it down! One thing that bugged me though is that the characters are so young (still in middle school)
it's can be I'll gray 1 2 Jul 31, 2014 09:17PM
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 01
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 01
  • Mamotte! Lollipop, Vol. 01
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Vol. 01
  • Kamichama Karin, Vol. 01
  • Kitchen Princess, Vol. 03 (Kitchen Princess, #3)
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 01
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 02 (MeruPuri, #2)
  • Fall in Love Like a Comic! Vol. 1
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 2
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01
  • Cactus's Secret, Vol. 01
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)
Wataru Yoshizumi (吉住渉, Yoshizumi Wataru) is a Japanese mangaka. She was born as Mari Nakai (中井 真里, Nakai Mari) on June 18, 1963 in Tokyo, Japan. She graduated with a degree in economics from Hitotsubashi University.

Yoshizumi started her career as a mangaka while working as an office lady. Her debut manga was a yomikiri (short story) called "Radical Romance" that was published in 1984, in the summe...more
More about Wataru Yoshizumi...
Marmalade Boy, Vol. 01 Ultra Maniac, Vol. 02 Marmalade Boy, Vol. 05 Marmalade Boy, Vol. 02 Ultra Maniac, Vol. 04