Start by marking “Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Heaven, Texas
Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  23,910 Ratings  ·  975 Reviews
Come heck or high water, Gracie Snow is determined to drag the legendary ex-jock Bobby Tom Denton back home to Heaven, Texas, to begin shooting his first motion picture. Despite his dazzling good looks and killer charm, Bobby Tom has reservations about being a movie star -- and no plans to cooperate with a prim and bossy Ohio wallflower whom he can't get off his mind or ou ...more
Published by Listening Library (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven, Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven, Texas

Mar 14, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
 photo cowboy12.jpg

What a shocker! I have no idea how she did it, but Susan Elizabeth Phillips managed the impossible. I went into this one with a bad attitude. Yes.. I had absolutely no interest in a character named Bobby Tom anything. And even the heroine left me feeling completely B O R E D...*yawn* But somehow I ended up absolutely LOVING this book!!!

“There’s no accounting for the mysteries of the human heart”

photo d1ca3397197a53d21df3b464cc39521d.jpg

Bobby Tom Denton was in the height of his career as the all-star wide receiver for the Chi
4-4 stars – Contemporary Romance

I liked SEP’s witty writing, laugh-out-loud humor, and steamy love scenes, but the hero’s crappy treatment of the heroine made me spitting nails mad at times. I just kept thinking, “why does she put up with his sh*t”?!?!

Retired football legend Bobby Tom Denton might be a sexy as sin, insatiably flirtatious, happy-go-lucky, infectiously funny, womanizing, hellraising, aw shucks ma’am cowboy with killer bedroom skills and a sh*t-eating grin, but he’s also an egot
May 29, 2015 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rolling with this series. Looking forward to finally finding out why my good friend Karen has this in her review. Hmmmmm

photo 2faa2c42-c4cb-49f5-9e19-faa89ae366c5_zpsmgln2mhp.jpg
Oct 29, 2013 Emmie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've been rereading SEP's books this past month and falling back in love with her novels, as well as catching up on some new ones which I enjoyed immensely.

However, "Heaven, Texas" is NOT one of those books. The romance starts off distastefully with Bobby Tom Denton living the life of a rich, shallow, sexist NFL player who treats women like disposable 'sex' objects. Fine, usually this serves as a starting point for the 'hero' who will display inner worth and grow along the way. Instead, Bobby To
Written January 26, 2014

5 Huge Stars - stunning romantic and hilarouis fun -
I loved every single page - a true joy to read - simply amazing good!!

Our dear hero Bobby Tom Denton:
“I happen to be immature, undisciplined, and self-centered, pretty much a little boy in a man's body, although I'd appreciate it if you didn't quote me on that.”

...bull's-eye, but what a fun and irresistible Texas guy!

Heaven, Texas is adorable cute, funny and incredibly well written. I think anyone who, like me, loves a c
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
Mar 04, 2016 Christina ~ Brunette Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina ~ Brunette Reader by: Jill

After having read and really liked a couple of the more recent books in the Chicago series, I backpedalled to this vintage title (1995) and was just as much pleasantly surprised. What I've come to recognise as SEP's trademarks by now were all already there, from the engaging and smooth prose to the scrumptious dialogues, taking romantic comedy and, in this case, the "opposites attract" trope to a higher level.
Yes, she needed to become a little less accommodating and yes, he often tended to be a
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
Susan Elizabeth Phillips has a unique way of combining romance with laugh out loud humor and then mixing in unusual characters to create an engaging rom com story. Heaven, Texas has her distinctive funny, sexy style written all over it. This is the second book in the Chicago Stars series but can be read as a standalone. While I didn’t like this book as much as It Had to Be You, I still found it to be quite enjoyable.

The story surrounds Bobby Tom Denton, a good ole southern boy. He’s a ladies man
Natalie Monroe
“You have an unusual house. Have you lived here long?"

"A couple of years. I don't much like it myself, but the architect is real proud of it. She calls it urban Stone Age with a Japanese Tahitian influence. I sort of just call it ugly.”

Imma let you in on a little secret.

This is the novel I read after Fifty Shades of Grey to purge myself of that monstrosity of a romance/erotica. In many aspects, their plots are similar: virgin, old-fashioned heroines; billionaire, good-looking male leads and
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳

As SEP recently revealed the cover of her upcoming 8th Chicago Star series’ novel, I was chatting with friends and realized although I enjoyed the series so far, I still hadn’t read book 2 and 6.

I decided then to not leave book 2 unread —or let’s say I felt motivated by threatening OCD friends, and that’s how I’ve found myself spending my Tuesday in the charming company of Bobby Tom Denton, in Heaven Texas.

Said no one ever.

The man had charming only his name… Strike that. His name was

photo Amazing-GIF.gif

I had a blast listening to this book!! That must sound so freaking lame to some people but I swear the best way to describe this book is FUN!! The authors sense of humor and sarcasm and writing style are so freaking engaging and I couldn't stop listening to it! I love her!! The character were awesome the storyline super cute and the dialogue!! OMG THE DIALOGUE!! I have laughed thru out the whole book, all the characters are a
1st Read: April 25, 2010
Bobby Tom is egotistical, selfish, privileged, conceited, and insensitive - not exactly what you look for in a hero. But raised with southern values, he's also charming, sweet, charitable and seems like an overall nice guy, but when fashion disaster, average-looks Gracie Snow enters his life, things get a little screwy for both of them.

Needless to say, I loved it. I loved every part of this gut-wrenching, humorous, yet emotional SM relationship between the H/h. They make
A very average Phillips, with some recycled plot points from other books (or maybe it's the other way around since I haven't read them in order of publishing dates). The good old southern boy character is getting a bit stale. The strip-tease in front of friends the first time the heroine meets the hero is also somewhat icky by now. I really didn't like the lead male character, Bobby Tom, just the name made me just want to run the other way, the character is a boy-men, a very cliché Peter Pan typ ...more
Milica's Bookshelf
Zabavna, seksi i romantična knjiga. Lagana za čitanje, kao i sve knjige Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

After my umpteenth re-read I still can't find the words to explain just how much I love this book! The story of Gracie Snow and Bobby Tom Denton continues to be a desert island book for me, despite reading it for the first time in college. And my mom's copy, no less. SEP hasn't let me down yet.
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Mar 18, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NEW epilogue! SEP has posted an epilogue on her website, free. It's set ten years in the future. Sweet!

Book 2 of the Chicago Stars series. Romantic, witty, funny,'s got it all. 5 stars for characterization, humor, passion...and set in a small town called Heaven, Texas. The only slightly weak point is the setting didn't feel vivid.

One of my FAVORITE books of the CR genre. It's filled with humor and angst and lots of interesting and likable -- or not so likable -- characters. The plot
Cassandra Dexter Colby
SEP no falla: historias sencillas llenas de amor, humor, bien sexo... Y sin pichotismos, vulgaridades ni griteríos. A sus pies, señora.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Gracie Snow is a completely innocent, stubborn, but curious 30 year old seeking adventure. Luckily her new job working for a Hollywood studio should provide all the excitement she hopes for. Her first assignment is to collect Bobby Tom Denton, a former American football player, and bring him to the film set so they can start filming his first film. Simple? Not really, but Gracie risks life, limb and her heart to get him there.

I love this book, it always comes to mind when I need something swee
Sophie ♥
Aug 21, 2013 Sophie ♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick lit/contemp readers
Rate: 5 solid stars

“I know how you felt about each other, Mom. I saw it every day. Maybe that's why I've never had much interest in getting married myself. Because I've always wanted the same thing.”

Gracie danced past in his peripheral vision, and at that exact moment, the fact that he could have the same thing his parents had had all those years hit him so hard he nearly stumbled.Jesus. As he held his mother in his arms and felt his father's presence, he knew that same intimacy was right here w
Paige  *an exploding fluffball* Bookdragon

Probably my least favorite Chicago Stars book when it comes to the hero. Bobby Tom reminds meof that annoying NA hero that I hate. The ending saved the book though because nothing beats a groveling hero who is sorry for all his jerk moves that he has done to the heroine.
Aisling Zena
Jan 25, 2016 Aisling Zena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-romance
Re-read 25/01/2016

It seems I'm upping my rating of every SEP book I re-read!
Lisa Kay
My first exposure to SEP was Heaven, Texas and, therefore, it has a special place in my heart. This is not just another bad-boy football superstar with a diabolic gleam meets 30 year-old wallflower story. These characters had depth. (view spoiler) ...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I have a message for Bobby Tom:

I hate your guts and I’m glad you got trashed at the end of the book!!!!

God, I despised this guy… I just wanted to hit him in his big fat head almost all the time. And Gracie being such an idiot o.O deathstare for all of you!!

Buuuuuut, overall it was a great book. I really enjoyed it.
Juliana Philippa
Heaven, Texas was absolutely wonderful! It's my first book by Phillips and although I got it from the library, I'm definitely putting it on my "To Buy" list, since I know I will want to reread this book several times. So cute and very funny; the interactions between the hero and heroine were priceless and the supporting characters were interesting and added to the story.

When I was preparing to venture into contemporary romance and did "research" (lol) on Rachel Gibson's books, See Jane Score see
Denise Lancaster
Muy divertido. Bobby Tom me hizo reir con su personalidad, y Gracie me pareció muy agradable.

Lo que no me gustó, es algo que no me gusta nunca, y que es el típico chiclé de que porque una chica sea virgen sea una ignorante en cuanto a temas sexuales. En serio, no lo entiendo. Que una chica nunca haya tenido relaciones sexuales con otra persona no la convierte en una santa, algo puro e inocente, o una ignorante en cuanto al sexo. No entiendo esa manía de mostrar a una protagonista virgen de esa
Bobby Tom is a broken ex football player. His knee was damaged during a game that ended his life time love of playing football. He is also the player known to woman around the globe, a lier, and an egomaniac. But Bobby Tom is not a bad guy he loves people and helping people is his #1 goal, unfortunately everyone takes.
Gracie Snow is a small town 30 year old virgin who has lived a very sheltered life working in a retirement home. When she get an offer for job with a movie production company she j
Apr 26, 2016 Nefise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I didn't like it when my first attempted. Usually l don't like to read stories that include vey complicated relationship or very crowded, noisy situations. They make stressful or tired. I know, this weird.
Anyway, l hadn't liked hero's, Boby Tom's impervious, childish attitude.
This time, l quite liked the book and l think one of best romantic stories of SEP.
l loved heroine, Gracie very much and l liked their relationship excessively.
I'm glad that l've read it again.

La Narradora
La historia de Bobby Tom y Gracie me ha gustado incluso más que la anterior. Es divertida, romántica y muy entretenida. La pluma de SEP es prácticamente perfecta, la trama esta muy en su línea, tras leerme tres de sus novelas me hago una idea del perfil de sus personajes y tramas. Y aunque tiene algunos detalles chocantes ha cumplido perfectamente la función de entretenerme y de hacerme disfrutar. Gracie es una protagonista fantástica, fuerte e ingeniosa. Bobby Tom es un niño grande que sin pret ...more
Apr 24, 2016 Calpurnia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs, romántica
Pero qué bonito y qué divertido y qué pareja y cómo me ha gustado. Pero qué bonito y qué divertido y qué pareja y cómo me ha gustado. Pero qué bonito y qué divertido y qué pareja y cómo me ha gustado. Pero qué bonito y qué divertido y qué pareja y cómo me ha gustado...
Chicago Illinois USA so if you happen 1 6 Aug 07, 2015 10:50PM
Historical werstern romance set in Texas with hero named Ryder 1 12 Jun 07, 2015 11:17AM
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Curveball (Richmond Rogues, #2)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2)
  • Fair Play (New York Blades, #2)
  • Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)
  • The Kept Woman

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)

“Anything worth having is worth fighting for.” 215 likes
“You couldn't be satisfied with being an amateur asshole, could you, Jimbo! You had to go and turn pro on me!” 106 likes