Start by marking “One Night Stand” as Want to Read:
One Night Stand

One Night Stand

Eleanor Connor may have written seventeen steamy novels, but her own life is more mundane. In fact, the nearest she comes to sex is having to listen through the thin walls of her house as her friend and neighbour, Hugh, makes love to an ever-changing stream of female conquests. But then one night she makes a one-night-only conquest of her own, only to wake up alone, a bit ...more
Published January 10th 2008 (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about One Night Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night Stand

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
One Night Stand was a one day read for me :) I don't exactly remember reading any book this fast and determined for a long time. It was an easy read, it was funny, it was sad at times and there were a few surprises that I did not expect sprinkled here and there. Overall, it was a book that I enjoyed a lot.

I've never read anything by Julie Cohen before so I had no idea about her writing style but I did consider this book to be a chick lit before I started it, maybe because it's the cover or the s
Natasja
Sep 09, 2010 Natasja rated it liked it
Eleanor Connor is an erotica novel writer and is also working at the local bar. Her relationship with her family isn’t too bright full and she will makes sure that she doesn’t turns up like her mother. Then one night she does the very thing she always avoids, getting drunk with a gorgeous customer and have a one-night stand. When she wakes up the next morning with a huge hangover and only a few memories from the night before, she realize that they haven’t use a condom.

When she finally discovers
RLA
Jun 13, 2012 RLA rated it it was amazing
I think I am in love with Julie Cohen's writing. This is another great book of hers, which literally had me at hello!

I read a lot of romance novels (you have probably realised that by now!) so the whole one-night-stand-leads-to-pregnancy theme is nothing new. However this one is a slightly different take on it, and I applaud Julie Cohen for exploring the difficult and darker side of this aspect of life.

I'm sure we all know [of] someone who has been in this situation, and not knowing who, or wher
Ratna
Jun 24, 2008 Ratna rated it liked it
i like this book because..
1) u might never know what will happen even if it is only a one night stand
2) u might never know who u should cherish for ur entire life [even he/she is ur bestest friend] until he/she is not in ur sight anymore
3) u will learn to appreciate those who is there beside u all the time but u never noticed before
4) money and glam never meant to be the only thing to sought after for ur life partner

i simply love this book..especially when i'm bored.
Fluffychick
Oct 14, 2009 Fluffychick rated it really liked it
Woul like to give it 4.5 really...and it only loses that as it took a while for me get into the story and characters. Good fun - totally predictable, but well written and after a slowish start gets going at a fair pace. Thought the character of June was a bit weak and stereotypical but I really enjoyed it.
Rayene Mammeri
Jul 18, 2016 Rayene Mammeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i fell in love with Hugh just because he's who he's (i want to taste his chocolate cackes by the way), the only thing that made me take a star was because of the "inappropriate scenes " that i didn't enjoy reading, but this was like a book version of "friends with benefits" but a bit nicer ♡
Shea
Feb 15, 2013 Shea rated it liked it
Shelves: ihave
Always enjoy Julie Cohen's work.
El is both stupid & smart. I don't understand why. Hugh is ever patience with El's fickle-mindedness.
Such a drama queen, i wish i could knock some senses into El's thick head
J
Mar 27, 2011 J rated it it was amazing
I don't know why I ever took a break from reading Little Black Dress books. Sure, they all end the same. But it's the journey that counts. And this one is one of the good ones. Julie Cohen certainly has a way with words.
Konnie
I always love Julie Cohen's writing and always know I will like her books. This book was no different and a very easy read. There's always subtle witty humor in her books and the writing is always thoughtful and mature.

However, there were parts in this book that were just a little too outrageous for me (without giving too much away) especially the remaining 10% of the book which started to slump for me.

If you are looking for a very angsty, jealousy enraged, alpha-male type love story, that typi
Tiffany
Dec 01, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I'll have to admit to being a little confused at times with all the British references and slang but I got through.
I really liked this story. The description gave it all away so you kind of know what's coming. Meet Eleanor, she works at a bar and on the side writes erotic novels. Meet Hugh, her best friend. They met on their first day of university and ever since have been inseparable. One night upon some bad news about her current book, El decides to have a couple of drink (easy to do consider
Katie Marriott
Feb 20, 2017 Katie Marriott rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
I thought this was going to be unbearably trashy but it wasn't. It was a great love story between two best friends. Would recommend to romance fans.
Rania yousife
Jan 05, 2016 Rania yousife rated it really liked it

4.5* stars
hardback

I was lucky in getting this book for less the 1$ and I am happy for getting it.
to be honest , three days ago , I wasn't encouraged to reading it but man , I am happy that I picked it up.
this book is so good . light and funny and fast-paste. I really enjoyed.
the characters were well developed . the plot was simple but enjoyable . I needed something like this after the last book I have encountered.

what made me like it less were :
Hugh , Eleanor's best friend was so nice that it
✦⟣Kelly⟢✦
A go-to read for me. One of my all time favorites.
Eleanor is a bartender and an erotic romance writer. The only one who knows about her writing career is her best friend Hugh. One Night Stand tells the story of Eleanor's struggle with the surprises her family hands her, consequences of a one night stand, her budding career, her feeling for her best friend and to find out who she really is and what she really wants. Eleanor is a flawed, funny and at times frustrating character that I loved. Hugh
Melinda
Rating 2.5 stars
Honestly, I don't think I'll finish this one, I slogged my way to 68% read and I'm still not really interested so I think at this stage it's safe to say it's not going to happen.
Which is a shame, because I adored Girl From Mars and thought I would at least like this one as well.
But... meh.
I think the problem might be that I didn’t really like the main character (or the supporting characters) both Eleanor and Hugh were more annoying than anything else.
Also, there's a distinct lack
Amelia
May 04, 2010 Amelia rated it really liked it
The main relationship in this book was very predictable, but it was a sweet story.
Eleanor's relationship with members of her family cause problems in her life and make her think that she will become the same person her mother is.
Eleanor is determined to be a different person than her mother and relies largely on her best friend, neighbor and playboy Hugh. With Eleanor spending more time with her best friend Hugh she starts to develop feelings that she knows are one sided.
An Excellent read and th
Lumiere
ENFIN!! Terminé :3 <3 <3
((..Le premier jour à l’université a-t-il raconté d’une voie émue mais forte.
- Tu as ouvert la porte et s’était toi, voilà tout. Je t’ai aimé depuis de moment, même si tu m’as rendu fou. Je ne pouvais pas te laisser. Je ne pouvais rien dire de peur de te perdre. Je suis resté à tes côtés, j’ai tout regardé j’ai attendu et j’ai essayé de me stabiliser mais ça ne suffisait pas. Quand tu m’as appris que tu étais enceinte, je n’avais qu’une idée en tête : c’était mon e
Wawa
Jan 04, 2017 Wawa rated it liked it
In the beginning I was not convinced. First of all in terms of contraception, I felt like the main character’s actions fell short. (view spoiler) and you’re just supposed to convince me that it was convincing...nah. Anyways, at some point I got hooked and could literally not put the book down. Almost walked into a swimming pool trying to read the book. All in all, I really loved the love interest. Engaging, sl ...more
Chanpreet
Sep 15, 2011 Chanpreet rated it really liked it
This book was hot! Not just the romance between Eleanor and Hugh, but everything else that was going on in the book too! The only thing that didn't seem quite real is how the book ended. A "happy ever after" is expected, but it just seemed too far fetched, while the rest of book was a bit more realistic. But Julie Cohen has another great book on her hands! I couldn't put it down until it was finished!
Lizzie
Sep 24, 2012 Lizzie rated it really liked it
A bizarre, quirky, unexpectedly touching tale of a girl, her best friend, and a contemplated 80s pop star look-a-like contest to be held to find her baby daddy. Sometimes I just wanted to smack Eleanor, with all of her disdain for Reading and the people who populate it. That said, Hugh was dreamy, if frustratingly reticent, and the humor was dark and lovely.
Priyanka
Oct 07, 2013 Priyanka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicklit, library, amazing
What an amazing book! A very different & fresh story for a start.
Kudos to Julie Cohen for writing such a marvel.
Everyone would love to have a relationship like Eleanor & Hugh have.
I simply loved it.
This book put a stamp for me on the fact that the more I dislike the beginning of a book, the more I love it by the end!
I would give it more than 5 stars, if I could!
Hollie
Mar 08, 2011 Hollie rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book. You start off wanting Eleanor to be happy with "George" and then you can see how Hugh feels about her and you want them to get together but as is usual in things like this, nothing goes smoothly.
All turns out well in the end for Eleanor and Hugh but whether that is together or apart I shall leave that for you to find out :o)
Hannah Lindsey Smith
Jan 30, 2012 Hannah Lindsey Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Eleanor was pretty mean to Hugh on several occasions which annoyed me and I don't know why he put up with it.... Having said that, it was a decent enough read. Would have liked a bigger epilogue though
ѕєяєηιтι
2,5

Konusu bana göre değildi. Hiç blmediği birinden hamile kalması falan hoşuma gitmedi açıkçası. Aslı şu arkadaşlıkta aşka dönme konularını da normalde severimde bu sefer dediğim olay yüzünden midir artık nedir beni çekmedi.
Larajoline
Sep 01, 2016 Larajoline rated it liked it
This was a nice, predictable read. I think the reason I gave this 3 stars was because it had so many really cute moments in it that made me personally fall in love with Hugh. Great cheesy romance for a lazy afternoon!
Lisa
Nov 05, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Loved it. One of her best.
Sekar Nareswari
Jun 30, 2008 Sekar Nareswari rated it really liked it
i love all books from lil' black dress. so simple, amusing and makes us know others opinion about relationship in different kinds of ways without being pushed to be like them.
Buecherest
Jan 05, 2010 Buecherest rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Sehr liebenswerter Roman, der trotz bereits zu Beginn durchschaubarem Handlungsverlauf in manchen Dingen, wunderschön zu lesen ist.
Michele
Mar 01, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Fun read with good strong and honest characters. Hugh was lovely. I'm looking forward to reading more by Julie Cohen.
Stacey
Mar 22, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
Cute, I really enjoyed it.
June Jones
Jun 11, 2016 June Jones rated it really liked it
A nice gentle romance, read it in record time, loved it.
  • It Should Have Been Me
  • To Please A Lady (Seduction, #3)
  • When I Fall (Montgomery Manor #2)
  • Lost for Words
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • Mounting Desire
  • Singletini
  • The One That Got Away (Hen Night Prophecies #1)
  • Blade Dance (Cold Iron, #4)
  • The Hang Up (First Impressions, #2)
  • I Take This Man
  • Grave Destinations (Grave, #2)
  • Love Struck (Miss Match, #2)
  • Breaking His Rules (Feeling the Heat, #4)
  • Right Before Your Eyes
  • Chain of Illusions (Bringer and the Bane, #3)
  • Desert Bound (Cambio Springs #2)
  • Calling It (Calling It, #1)