Start by marking “The Jesus of Suburbia: Have We Tamed the Son of God to Fit Our Lifestyle?” as Want to Read:
The Jesus of Suburbia: Have We Tamed the Son of God to Fit Our Lifestyle?

The Jesus of Suburbia: Have We Tamed the Son of God to Fit Our Lifestyle?

Like the first-century Pharisees, weve reduced Christianity to a setof propositional beliefs. Truth is, weve gotten away from what itreally means to be a Christian. In The Jesus of Suburbia, Mike E
Published October 8th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Jesus of Suburbia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jesus of Suburbia

Tom
May 04, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it
I know that I am not giving much info at all about this book...but, while the whole book was good and engaging the last two chapters in particular (The Redemption of Culture, Show and Tell) were worth the price of the book alone. He said many things that I have been coming to terms with over the last decade or so but said them with some mind blowing clarity that made me sit back in my chair a number of times and simply try to get my mind wrapped around the complexity of the simple truth he was p ...more
Alma
Aug 17, 2013 Alma rated it really liked it
* Not done yet but what a great read so far.

For the first time I am teaching CFF/catechism in the fall. I had real reservations about taking on this task but knew this year would be critical in our eldest's faith. He is in sixth grade & has a better grasp of the bible and being Catholic more than I ever had. I also knew I would be forcing myself to address my own tough questions I've had about God, Christianity, and spirituality all my life.

At the same time I am excited to explore my faith
L
Mar 31, 2016 L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I want to drink bourbon and talk about faith with Mike Erre. He is refreshing, kind, direct, educated. The intent in this book is to encourage those who proclaim to follow Christ, to be impacted by His actual being...in them...overwhelming their humanity and moving to new heights. Stellar read.
Natasha Harrington
Aug 29, 2016 Natasha Harrington rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and found it enlightening. It was an easy read and truly eye opening.
mike hatcher
2 Critical Thoughts from Other Thinker/Authors
1 Significant Personal Life Lesson

4 Outstanding Quotes/Topics

Suburban Jesus

“The suburban Jesus would never be so offensive as to demand that we do what we say: he is more interested in the security, comfort, and prosperity of his followers. The message of American Christianity presents Jesus as the purveyor of the American Dream.” “…we have gotten comfortable with a watered-down, whitewashed,
Alaina Chatterley
Jun 10, 2017 Alaina Chatterley rated it really liked it
Excellent, easy read with thought provoking principles that make me think carefully about what it really means to be a Christian in action and being, not just name and religion.

Funny story, I read this book 75% of the way, underlining and writing in the margins, and then I left it on an airplane :( Distraught over my lost journaling within its pages, I bought a second copy and marked it up similarly.

What I loved in this book: All things are spiritual, trusting God means more than doing what you
Leila Hays
Jul 25, 2014 Leila Hays rated it did not like it
Shelves: leave-it
The subtitle says it all.

If you're reading this, you probably know that I'm pretty open-minded and that I love to read about and discuss viewpoints with which I (sometimes vehemently) disagree. And I often recommend books that fit this description, so I don't want anyone to think that my failure to recommend this book has anything to do with my feelings about Mike's point of view (I know, I spoiled the ending. Read on anyway, please.)

I have two major problems with The Jesus of Suburbia. The firs
Patrick Mcmullen
Nov 19, 2010 Patrick Mcmullen rated it really liked it
I think that The Jesus of Suburbia was a great read. It really opened my eyes up to the perpspective on how we often sell out the true faith to the consumer substitute of today's society. We as, faithfull people tend to mix in values dont belong. Erre mentions in this book that this is called syncretism, which is a big mistake, that we need to change. Christianity has become "sugar-coated" he says. The book explains that the christian church has lost track of revolutionary teachings and love fo ...more
Julie Clark
Jan 06, 2010 Julie Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culture, christianity
This book had me nodding my head (in confession) the entire time. I read it in 2 days and plan to re-read it again. Can the world even see Jesus when they look at me? Who do they say that He is? If it is based on seeing my life, what kind of Jesus will they see?

From Publisher’s Weekly:
“Compelling discussion of how the Christian church has lost sight of the revolutionary teaching and love of Jesus. “Much of the message of American Christianity presents Jesus as the purveyor of the American Dream,
Nancy Bandusky
Jun 20, 2016 Nancy Bandusky rated it liked it
This book takes a look at what has become of the Jesus of the Bible as He has been slowly turned into the Jesus of Suburbia where comfort and protection are the priorities of his followers. With many believing that faith in Jesus is supposed to result in a trouble-free life, readers may be disappointed to learn that trials and tribulation are actually the rule of the day (even today) if one follows the Jesus of the Bible and joins His revolution.

The author touches on many topics including the co
Amy
Dec 16, 2007 Amy rated it liked it
This book had a lot of good things to say about the way people treat Christianity and more importantly Jesus in our day and time. As I was reading it I was able to take a step back and really evaluate my relationship with Christ. I felt like the last two chapters could have done more to hit his argument home a little better-but overall it is a book that I would recommend to anyone seeking a genuine relationship with Christ.
Annie
Sep 16, 2013 Annie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the careful insight Mike put into it. My perception of Jesus (and following Jesus) has become more three-dimensional, though it will never be perfect this side of Heaven. The timing of my reading of this book was almost perfect. It's been a great companion piece to Mike's sermon series through Luke.
Matt Miles
Jul 30, 2011 Matt Miles rated it it was ok
It's strongest when the author uses historical examples, especially about the two kingdoms. Overall, it's good, and he brings up some good points. Others have made the same points better, but the title's illustration earns another point. Any Jesus who just wants us to be comfortable is a different Jesus. This is a good reminder.
Wyndie
Jan 31, 2010 Wyndie rated it really liked it
I've been struggling with concept of the modern institution that we call "The Church" so I really enjoyed Mike Erre's perspective. I doubt if Jesus of Nazareth would fit into the American church. I'll let Mike sum up his own book in one statement.

"Jesus never called us to be believers - he called us to be followers who believe."
Bill
Jul 09, 2008 Bill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those ready to think about their faith
This is a powerful reflection on the state of Christianity in the world that we live in today. An honest and somewhat skeptical view of the current state of the church, but this is balanced with a strong sense of Hope in the future of Christianity and the church, as long as we are willing to examine ourselves and be aware of the world we live in, not just afraid of it.
Dean P.
Dec 26, 2012 Dean P. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Decent book with a good thesis. My complaints are based around the fact that I felt like I have read this idea before. I suspect it is a good read for someone new to the topic, but if you have looked at the Jesus in the context of first century Judaism before, it is not going to present a lot of new ideas.
A.C. Bauch
Read this book years ago, but never posted a Goodreads review, for some odd reason. Maybe it was before I joined?

At the time, I recall liking the book a lot. However, with several additional years of church life behind me, I might feel differently about it now. Therefore, I'm not going to rate it.
Jessica
Jan 30, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone.
Recommended to Jessica by: the cover and title got my attention
Shelves: becoming
This was a great Christmas present to receive, especially before a long road-trip. Although I had heard and been taught "Love your neighbor as yourself," part of this book taught me what that truly meant (as opposed to the easy version).

This book was inspiring to read after I had just finished writing my own research essay on "Does God want Christians to be rich?" for a class.
Peter
Jan 02, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good and quick read and one that I think many Christians should dialog with in their personal devotions and in their church communities. The question of "have I remade God in my own image" is one that is critical to our modern-day Christian experience and one that deserves deep reflection and confession.
Lindsay
Sep 23, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Reading for our Friday Night Small Group.
This one really makes us all a little uncomfortable with our culture's view of Christianity and stirs up something within us to change our perspective and follow the true Jesus of Nazareth.
Amber
Jun 06, 2008 Amber rated it liked it
We just read through this book with our lifegroup, and I gained some great things from it. Mike Erre is a little repetetive, and writes, kinda like he probably preaches, but the subject matter is worth reading the book!
Mac
Mar 15, 2013 Mac rated it liked it
This is a solid look at the church today...and asking questions like, "Is this worth it?", "Is there more?", "Why does Christianity seem all about rules, and not about love?".

It's worth reading for sure.
Nicole
Nov 11, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
So far, its been very powerful and revolutionary. Very thought provoking and I love it. If you have read The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey or any Donald Miller books, I assure you'll love this. Different style, same point to drive home.
Brandon Stiver
Aug 09, 2011 Brandon Stiver rated it it was amazing
Glad to say that I go to his church and the book was just like his preaching, very good and very thought provoking. The way that he views things is fresh and insightful. The message of this book is something that all American Christians need to hear and evaluate.
Glenda
read as part of my daily devotions
Andrea
Jun 23, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
A challenging book with a number of places that made me stop and think. It also put into words many things I have abstractly considered.
Christie
Apr 17, 2008 Christie rated it really liked it
Eye-opening, but I felt it fell short in giving more ideas in how to apply what is written.
Philip Smith
Jul 30, 2008 Philip Smith rated it it was amazing
Brings to thought how we do church and God. Amazing look into our Christian backyards!!! A must read!
Shawna
Aug 21, 2009 Shawna rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Totally fits my view on how God desires Christians to live.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • When the Church Was a Family: Recapturing Jesus' Vision for Authentic Christian Community
  • Speaking My Mind: The Radical Evangelical Prophet Tackles the Tough Issues Christians Are Afraid to Face
  • One.Life: Jesus Calls, We Follow
  • Jesus in the Margins: Finding God in the Places We Ignore
  • Heaven Is a Place on Earth: Why Everything You Do Matters to God
  • Not the Religious Type: Confessions of a Turncoat Atheist
  • Ancient-Future Worship: Proclaiming and Enacting God's Narrative
  • I Am a Follower: The Way, Truth, and Life of Following Jesus
  • Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the unlikely people who help you)
  • The Year of Living like Jesus: My Journey of Discovering What Jesus Would Really Do
  • The Story We Find Ourselves in: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian
  • The Original Jesus: The Life and Vision of a Revolutionary
  • The Freedom And Power Of Forgiveness
  • Cat and Dog Theology: Rethinking Our Relationship with Our Master. Living Passionately for the Glory of God
  • Jesus with Dirty Feet: A Down-To-Earth Look at Christianity for the Curious Skeptical