Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living

Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living is an unparalleled volume of Lee's own writings on the wisdom that he used to shape his extraordinary life. Editor John Little, in the tradition of Tuttle's other Bruce Lee Library titles, uses his unprecedented access to Lee's writings to cull the words of the legendary martial artist, actor, and philosopher into this...more
Published June 15th 2002 by Tuttle Publishing (first published 2000)

Geraint
If you were to say "What springs to mind when you think of Bruce Lee?", most people would talk about martial arts or his untimely death. What a lot of people don't know, is that Bruce Lee was as much of a Philosopher as he was a Martial Artist, or a movie star. Indeed, his degree in America was on Philosophy.

So it will come as little suprise then that Bruce will have had a lot of thoughts on aspects of life. And here they are. This small book contains some of the most poignant thoughts I have ev...more
Adam
I knew little about Lee before reading this book and found him to be a pretty big thinker. It is hard to criticize a book that is just a collection of a man's ideas without judging the man, but I liked how it was organized by general topics and did not have to be read in any direction. Lee comes off as a master of living without typical self help guru arrogance and rarely uses himself as a concrete example and keeps his advice and assertions general and abstract. However it is hard to tell if it...more
Aaron
Nov 30, 2008 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: general public, philosophy students
An excellent introduction to Bruce Lee. He only wrote so much in his short life, and it has been re-cut and repackaged so many times already. I have to say this is the best book of all to have. It contains all his basic ideas and attitude toward life, presented a few lines at a time in eight chapters. It's not so much a coherent work as the most-worthy summation of his writings. It gives you a good feel for the man.

Note: this book is mostly "philosophy"; it is not a technical manual for fightin...more
Sondra
I consider Bruce Lee one of my ghost mentors. If you have never read any of Bruce Lee's works, and you have a curiosity towards philosophy; this is the book to start with.
Meaghan McQuade
What a surprising little book! I began reading it knowing very little about Bruce himself, and have left with the impression that he was wise beyond his years. The way the book is set up as tidbits of philosophical wisdom actually serves the authors wish of communicating that, a teacher cannot give you truth, he can only point you in the right direction. This book does exactly that! He sets out the puzzle pieces and asks that you create the final picture for yourself. Unique in it's scope and br...more
Carolyn
Though a lot of his quotes made sense and will definitley help to keep in mind through my Martial Arts training, some of the other quotes didn't translate so well. I found myself struggling a lot of the time in trying to grasp what exactly he was talking about. It could just be the fact that I'm really not that familiar with Eastern Philosophy. But aside from that, it was interesting enough. I did outline some of the better quotes and will keep them in mind.
Randy Daugherty
This was an excellent read, Bruces' insight is simple yet provoking.This is a book to be read and reread and thought about. It reflects Bruces' thoughts on many subjects as he made his journey through life and perhaps will show you the way to your path as you make your journey, as in all things he isnt tryin to teach you as he is trying to inspire yourself to question and learn as you make your way , to become all you can be.
Karl Agius
Finished reading through this book, but haven't finished with it. It's really a buffet for thought. The whole book is a collection of ideas from various sources with some of Lee's comments on them, as well as several of his own thoughts. As he says himself, its purpose is to make one think, not to give answers or tell one how to think. The sections that talk about quality and self-expression are particularly powerful.
Kim
I was all geared up to get some new and well-spoken wisdom here but I found some of it conflicting and most of it second-hand interpretations of more compelling texts. I'm not saying what he has to say isn't good or even important but it's been said and more eloquently elsewhere. Still admire him though and might read through it again before passing it on to someone else.
Alex Timberman
Read this a long time ago. Its about time for a re-read. What a philosopher and legend. You could feel how much energy goes into his thoughts. He is the opposite of a lazy mind and because of his impressions in western and eastern culture, he is able to offer what the title of the book is: Striking thoughts and wisdom.
Mohit Manaskant
There are only two kinds of people in this world, one who "follows" others and the other who "discovers" the path themselves and clearly Lee belonged to this rare latter group . Lee was personality extraordinaire and his philosophical thoughts are reverberated in this book.

"Using no way as way"...

San
Budismo, Dao, Zen al servicio de las artes marciales....
Cynthia Vespia
I absolutely loved every page of this. Bruce Lee was so wise on so many levels. Inspiring quotes for every facet of life. This one is a keeper I will refer back to again and again.
Sean Quinn
I had this book as bathroom reading material. A great way to start the day, reading a few lines of timeless wisdom from the great Brice Lee. I'm sure will refer back to it often.
Melody-Rue Ransom
Bruce Lee was a truly amazing, and inspiring human being. I realized that the instant I read this book. His words are one's I can look to when the world ceases to make sense.
Scott F
Bruce Lee's take on taking life seriously blew me away. Asking questions of yourself and not resting until you refine "truth" out of it.... really interesting stuff
Josh
A really good book with motivation to think for yourself and be your own person.

"No one is more important than the individual, the real self"
Adrian Tannock
A fantastic collection of Bruce Lee's thoughts, ideas, and philosophy. Easy to "dip into" and find inspiration. He was a genuinely gifted thinker.
S Jebbett
Bruce Lee was a Philosophy major at the University of Washington ( I think), and it shows in this book. Fantastic wisdom for all minds.
Paul
A great book to read once then to thumb through for a good "wisdom of the day" passage. Truly, one is never finished reading this.
Alan Tang
Very good read, in every aspect and in every type of situation is easily broken down by Bruce's simple philosophies.
Marlon Salazar
i enjoyed reading the book because its shows all the feelings he had when he was in his homeland and doing kung-fu
Emal
An amazing book that demonstrates how martial arts is not just a hobby but also a way of life.
Mead
Worth a periodic re-read to see how the principles shift and change as I shift and change.
Tara Pietrucha
I haven't actually finished this book as I'll probably read it for the rest of my life.
Quetzal (Martin)  Suarez
Tiny little book by the Martial Arts Master. A Fun little book,simple and full of wisdom.
Jeff
equal parts martial artist and philosopher. this book may surprise you.
Cassandra
Pretty good. I refer to this book for positivity but its pretty simple.
Jaret Manuel
The usefulness of a cup is it's emptiness ~ Bruce Lee. An insightful book!
Shannon
Philosophy, wisdom, and personal thoughts by the one and only, Bruce Lee!
  • The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee
  • Karate-do: My Way of Life
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit: A Biography
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • The Art of Peace
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of Shogun (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
  • The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi
  • Bushido: The Soul of Japan. A Classic Essay on Samurai Ethics
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • What Is Tao?
Bruce Lee was an American-born martial artist, philosopher, instructor, martial arts actor and the founder of the Jeet Kune Do martial arts system, widely regarded as the most influential martial artist of the 20th century and a cultural icon. He was the father of actor Brandon Lee and of actress Shannon Lee.
More about Bruce Lee...
Tao of Jeet Kune Do The Bruce Lee: The Art of Expressing the Human Body Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do: Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Basic Training, Vol. 2 Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Self-Defense Techniques, Vol. 1

“Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” 337 likes
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.” 148 likes