Start by marking “Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #1)

Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball - Wideban edition #1)

A seminal series from a legendary creator. "Dragon Ball," a wry update on the Chinese "Monkey King" myth, introduces us to Son Go Son Goku, a young monkey-tailed boy whose quiet life is turned upside-down when he meets Bulma, a girl determined to collect the seven "Dragon Balls." If she gathers them all, an incredibly powerful dragon will appear and grant her one wish. But ...more
Published June 3rd 2008 by VIZ Media LLC

Jeff
Nov 13, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
My first manga!! Loved it. I loved watching Dragonball Z as a kid (and admittedly as an adult as well). So obviously I was all over this. Seriously it's just such a great series. Funny, vulgar, full of action.... Just super unique. Can't wait to pick up the next volume.
Peter Derk
I enjoyed the hell out of this. Which I guess could be a sorta problem.

Here's the thing. There's some pretty weird, sexist stuff in here. Now, I should be clear. These were originally published in the early 80's, which is when I was a baby, and they were published in Japan. Do old sensibilities excuse racist/sexist material? And what about a foreign sensibility? And what about the combination of both?

I don't know. I honestly don't know. But here's what I did: I took note of it, I wouldn't say I
Luis
Feb 17, 2016 Luis rated it really liked it
This is such a fun manga.
What can I say about Dragon Ball that hasn't been said before? This story even though its titled Dragon Ball isn't about the Dragonballs but about Goku's journey to become the strongest in the world. Out of this collection of 1-3 volumes, I enjoyed the third one the most because it focused on Goku, Kuririn (Krillin) and Master Roshi.
The humor isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. It was written in the 80's by a 20 some year old Japanese guy. It's sexist and tasteles
Derek
Jan 31, 2014 Derek rated it really liked it
I love Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, but 4 stars because of censorship. This is a very worthy edition to own aside from the censorship because of the good price, thick paper, colored pages, and larger pages; however, it is censored and the hardcore fan will find that they are not satisfied with this edition despite its qualities.
Nick
Sep 08, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book. For anybody who likes Action, laughter, and Japanese manga's, this is for you. this series took me a long time to read and it goes into dragon ball z. so this series will last you a while.
Raleigh
Read this book like 20 times, everytime you read it you find something new
Enrique
Aug 17, 2012 Enrique rated it it was amazing
The first anime I ever watched in my life was Dragon Ball, specifically Episode 1 on Toonami. I was introduced to Goku, Bulma, Dragon Balls, and the coolness of anime. In 2009, after I was reading manga more starting with Naruto, I found the Viz Big Edition of Dragon Ball in Oahu Hawaii (at a Borders there) and my Uncle bought me it and I loved it. I'd seen practically all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z but after years of not having see nthe series it was interesting to read the manga.

We are i
Adam
May 01, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it
BooksAmL
Oct 22, 2015 BooksAmL rated it it was amazing
This manga includes 3 volumes, those are :
-The Monkey King
I don't think is much that i have to say about this book, everyone has probably watched the show. The stars on goodreads they are not enough for this manga, i just love it.

This volume is about goku , how he lives, meeting bulma , learning the story about the drangon ball. Also please be prepared to laugh a lot , especially enjoying all the times when Goku does his pat-pat to see if is a girl or a boy. That is not everything you will enj
Marc
Sep 23, 2013 Marc rated it it was amazing
I've never been one to read manga. There are a couple of reasons for this: reading from right to left, no color, and dozens of volumes just to appeal to me. However, this edition of Dragon Ball has some color and is only in three gigantic volumes. I must almost mention that with the exception of a handful of anime, I've never been a fan of that either. But Dragon Ball is one of them.

I don't know how closely this resembles the dubbed version of the show, but it captures the spirit and feel of wha
Shayna Ross
Sep 20, 2015 Shayna Ross rated it it was amazing
The start of Dragon Ball is here, where you can get to know how Goku, Bulma, Krillin, and everyone else became friends and began their epic adventure. Dragon Ball is more humorous and goofy than its successor Z with the battles being a little shorter and comical and the enemies were ultimately much more human.

Brief summary: Goku is an incredibly naive, but strangely powerful kid, that has a chance encounter with a teenaged girl named Bulma, who is on the quest for the Dragon Balls! The Dragon b
Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 Jody Mena added it
Shelves: manga
As I was reading this, I thought to myself 'This is almost nothing but sex jokes and toilet humor - why is it so popular?' Then I thought about it again and answered my own question - 'Ah, it's made up of almost nothing but sex jokes and toilet humor... no wonder it's so popular." Ha ha, no doubt, the masses demand low-brow humor. Nevertheless, it was quite cute and funny, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, and a fun rehashing of the legend of the Monkey King and the Journey to the West. The stor ...more
Owen Crespi
Jun 02, 2015 Owen Crespi rated it it was amazing
I began reading Dragonball expecting something long and complicated. What I got was a story rich with deep characters, wonderful narrative, and AWESOME action! Dragonball is one of those books that you can read and then just wanting to read the next one, and then the next one, and next one, etc. There is an anime to go along with the book, so you can watch along after reading. The story is about a little boy with a tail named Goku who lives in the jungle, and lives with a crystal ball he believe ...more
Mza
Jul 25, 2010 Mza rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mza by: Brandon Graham
Kinetic, goofy, and concerned largely with panties and purity of heart, Dragon Ball might be the least neurotic work of art ever created, the antidote to sex, seriousness, and anger. Toriyama's cartoony style reminds me of Milt Gross, Bugs Bunny, Mad Magazine, Groo the Wanderer, and being young enough to believe that adults were wizards. 500+ pages of slapstick violence with no consequences, desire with no disappointment, and adventure for its own sake, Dragon Ball is a horny, idiot 14-year-old ...more
Chris Hamby
Oct 12, 2012 Chris Hamby rated it really liked it
I'm trying to get into some older, classic comics (1985 is classic by now, right?), and DragonBall has been on my list for a while.
Toriyama has an impeccable, precise style and he draws the most expressive characters I've seen in manga. I thought I would be turned off by the endless stream of poop and sex jokes but I actually found them charming.
Anyway, this is a lot of fun, and Toriyama draws the best cars and planes and hovercrafts.
Lincoln Thorn
Oct 29, 2015 Lincoln Thorn rated it it was amazing
It's Dragonball! For everyone who grew up watching up watching the series as a kid, It was a pleasurable mix of Nostalgia and storytelling to return to something I once loved so dearly as a kid.

And don't worry, once I looked past the nostalgia I found an incredibly engaging and hillarious story. Akira Toriyama crafted a true epic in an adventure that spans most of the Main Character, Goku's life.

Emmy
Aug 15, 2014 Emmy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
What an adorable and funny manga! This is one of those classics that you hear about, so I thought I'd finally give it a try (especially after having seen the DBZ Battle of Gods movie...now I'm REALLY on a Dragon Ball kick, and wanted to see where it all started out. This was a great collection! I'm so glad they had these things grouped 3 to a book, or else I would have finished WAY TOO FAST. I can't wait to start up with book 4! (Yay!!)
Rees Malwin
May 08, 2015 Rees Malwin rated it it was amazing
The thing is, this is by far the CUTEST manga I've ever read. I absolutely love it, and I was engrossed from the beginning. Not only does it follow the life of Son Goku BEFORE and DURING the Dragon Ball Hunt, but also AFTERWARD when he gets training to become stronger. I'm in love with this series, and I'm instantly picking up the second one and HOPING to see who's gonna win the Budokai tournament.
Matt
Feb 12, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Very playful tone, exciting martial arts stories, fun characters.
Several of the main characters are perverted males and I keep thinking, "This would never fly in a comic in the States." Maybe it's a cultural difference?
Also, the translation is excellent, in that even the jokes and puns are translated into an equivalently funny or groaner joke.
Lord
Jul 13, 2008 Lord rated it it was amazing
And the legend begins. Again. This time in a perfect VIZBIG edition with larger format, awesome color pages for a good price. What's here not to love? I don't have to say that Dragon Ball manga is much, much better than anime, do I? ^_^
Russell Grant
Jul 29, 2011 Russell Grant rated it really liked it
People seem to think that the constant fart and panty jokes are a bad thing! Loved this one! Fast pace, crisp art, and every chapter left me with a big smile on my face. Can't wait to read the rest! *pat pat*
Xavier (CharlesXplosion)
Jan 03, 2017 Xavier (CharlesXplosion) rated it it was amazing
Plot 5/5
Characters 5/5
Writing 5/5
Setting 5/5

I just love this volume so much. It was just a joy to read and I am in love with these characters. The plot is fast-paced and fun. This was just so much fun to read! I gave this 5/5 stars.
Keiran Thegreat
Oct 17, 2014 Keiran Thegreat rated it liked it
An entertaining manga, and a classic of the genre. Funny and with a lot of action this is a very likeable story.
Jean-Philippe Lavoie
Dec 30, 2012 Jean-Philippe Lavoie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragonball
One of my favorite Manga ever. Awesome characters, great story and really funny!
Michelle Carrell
Oct 02, 2016 Michelle Carrell rated it it was amazing
Oh, man the childhood memories! Awesome 3 in 1 edition of the classic Manga.
Shawn
Mar 11, 2013 Shawn rated it really liked it
Very funny and exciting.
Tabitha
Jun 12, 2014 Tabitha rated it it was amazing
Holy freaking crap!! That was amazing. I need the second volume!!! It's so funny and action packed. I love it!
Nesta
Oct 09, 2015 Nesta rated it it was amazing
Absolutely classic. Huge nostalgia for me.
Claudio
Jun 08, 2014 Claudio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Akira Toriyama is quite simply, a comedic genius.
Etzerlaurore
Apr 01, 2016 Etzerlaurore rated it it was amazing
This book should be read. The reason for this is because it provides adventure for kids. Learning to those who need it. Comedy for those who need laughter. For those who have goals.
Aaron
Dec 28, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
One of the most fun comics I've read this year.
Kazima
Jun 03, 2016 Kazima added it
Just finished the first round of copy-editing the Norwegian translation to be published later this year by Outland! :-D
David
Nov 22, 2016 David added it
I loved reading the interactions of Goku and Bulma. From the very beginning its funny with Goku not knowing the difference between boys and girls. I want to read the second book but couldnt find it. I recommend this book to teens because there sexual humor and nudity.
Jaap
Aug 13, 2011 Jaap rated it really liked it
Dragon Ball is one of the most fun comics out there. The jokes are funny and the art is great.
simon
Aug 10, 2014 simon rated it really liked it
its dragonball so it has alot of humour and alot of action, its pretty good
Lauren
Mar 18, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I like this one so much! It's funny, I kept on reading it over and over again.
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2008
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2008
Lucia
Lucia added it
Jan 10, 2009
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2009
Marina
Marina rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2009
Dijolola
Dijolola rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2009
Peter Schultz
Peter Schultz rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2009
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 3
  • The Revealing (W.I.T.C.H. Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Naruto: Omnibus, #1)
  • One Piece: East Blue 1-2-3, Vol. 1 (One Piece: Omnibus, #1)
  • Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally, #1)
  • Chrno Crusade, Vol. 2 (Chrno Crusade, #2)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Blue Diamond
  • Vagabond, Vol. 2
Akira Toriyama is a widely known and acclaimed Japanese manga artist known mostly for his creation of Dragon Ball in 1984. It is difficult to pin point the source of Toriyama's artwork inspiration. He admires Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy and was impressed by Walt Disney's One Hundred and One Dalmatians, which he remembers for the great art. Jackie Chan's early movies had a noticeable influence on Tori ...more
More about Akira Toriyama...

Dragon Ball - Wideban edition (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 2 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #2)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 3 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 4 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 5 (VIZBIG Edition): The Fearsome Power of Piccolo
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 2 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 3 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 4 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 5 (VIZBIG Edition): Dr. Gero's Laboratory of Terror!
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 6 (VIZBIG Edition)