Start by marking “Fat: It's Not What You Think” as Want to Read:
Fat: It's Not What You Think

Fat: It's Not What You Think

Fat: It’s Not What You Think provides a refreshing antidote to the misinformation and misleading hype that fuels our misguided fear of fat — both the fat we eat, and the fat we carry around. By explaining its biology and sharing the latest research, Connie Leas convincingly frees fat from its bad reputation. For example, she discusses how our much-maligned fatty tissue ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Prometheus Books

To ask other readers questions about Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat

Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-books
This is a great book that summarises the work of some of the most important health books that have been released recently including those by Gary Taubes, Pollan, Nina Planck, Mary Enig, Sally Fallon, and others.

This book explains that:

- Your fat functions as an endocrine organ and releases hormones just like your thyroid gland or your pituitary gland.
- Fat is the primary building material for cell walls.
- Immunity is decreased when fat levels in the body are very low.
- Fat cells behave different
Josh
Feb 21, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it
Easy reading, fairly concise, and references given chapter by chapter at the appendix.

My take-aways:

Need cholesterol to feel good. "Stearic acid in the form of cocoa butter, their cholesterol was reduced."[p.99] Note to self: Experiment by enjoying chocolate, daily, with mindfulness (moderation).

Short- and medium-length lipids are absorbed before 'digestion' so easier for the body to use. Note to self: Try coconut, et al.

Whole milk / cream for conjugated linoleic acid (CLA): Do laws of my jurisd
chubs
Nov 24, 2010 chubs rated it really liked it
Shelves: paleo-realfood, diet
Highly readable, accessible defense of fat. A few flaws: at the very end of the book she repeats the Pollan prescription that we mostly eat plants, which I'm not sure I agree with; at times it seemed like she was merely summarizing other researchers; and there were a few glaring typos. Otherwise a pretty solid book and probably easier to read than Gary Taubes's Good Calories, Bad Calories.
Flat
Dec 09, 2010 Flat rated it really liked it
Shelves: and, paleo-realfood, diet
Bohannan Coaching
Bohannan Coaching rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Cissa
Cissa rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2009
Rita
Rita rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2011
Kelvin
Kelvin rated it really liked it
May 02, 2011
Racheal
Racheal rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2008
Carmen
Carmen rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Fruitfulmomma
Fruitfulmomma marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2010
Sissy
Sissy marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2010
tara Lombardi
tara Lombardi marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2010
Julie Schneider
Julie Schneider marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2011
Mandie Mc
Mandie Mc marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2011
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2012
Gavin Mccloskey
Gavin Mccloskey marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2012
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
~*kath*~
~*kath*~ marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Cyberpayanee
Cyberpayanee marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016