Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  44,582 Ratings  ·  429 Reviews
The quintessential American writer, Washington Irving emerged as the country's first popular author with such beloved nineteenth-century short stories as "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle." These highly entertaining fiction masterpieces reveal Irving's unique mastery at portraying the landscapes and culture of early America.
This modestly priced edition incl
...more
Paperback, 170 pages
Published April 21st 2008 by Dover Publications (first published 1819)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Nayra.Hassan
Feb 25, 2016 Nayra.Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
هناك في" الوادي النعسان" حيث الكل يمشون في حالة حلم يقظة مستمر..يؤمنون بكل الخوارق ..هنا تطير النيازك و تسقط النجوم
ولكن تظل الروح المسيطرة على سليبي هولو هو شبح بلا رأس يمتطي حصانا. .باحثا للابد عن رأسه
..و بين الأسماء الهولندية الثقيلة و الطباع الريفية الخبيثة..و في جو رومانسي مشوب بالاستغلال ..نتعرف على ايشابود كرين المدرس و الناظر لمدرسة الوادي الذي يقع صريع ثراء و جمال كاترينا فان تاسل..

و تدور احداث النوفيلا الصغيرة في طريق بعيد جدا عن احداث الفيلم الهوليودي الضخم الشهير فلا يوجد ضباط او مبا
...more
Amira Mahmoud
كالعادة أغلب معلوماتي أحصل عليها من كتابات وترجمات الأب الروحي د.أحمد توفيق
المرة الأولى التي اسمع واقرأ فيها للكاتب الأمريكي واشنجتون آرفنج

العدد عبارة عن مجموعة من قصص للكاتب قام بترجمتها د.أحمد توفيق
"الشيطان توم ووكر" ، " الزوجة" هما أول قصص المجموعة
أعجبتني كثيرًا تلك الفضائل التي يتحدث عنها الكاتب، ويحاول دسها في أبطال قصصه
كان أبطاله انعكاس لما يريد أن يكون عليه الإنسان من صفات حسنة

في قصة الزوجة أعُجبت وتعجبت من نظرته للمرأة كزوجة وحبيبة!!

القصتين التاليتين عن الأساطير والخرافات التي يتداولها س
...more
Trish
Oct 25, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was about 14 years old I went to the first slumber party of my life at a school friends'. It was Halloween and the large living room was greatly decorated (which was gloriously exotic to me since Halloween, back then, was hardly known in Germany). I only remember one movie from that night; it was Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. I remember lying on the carpet in front of the couch (no idea why we didn't sit or lie on the couch but whatever), covered by blankets and with lots of pillows aro ...more
Murat Dural
Feb 22, 2017 Murat Dural rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok beğendim. Washington Irving yeni dünyanın kırsallarında eski Avrupa'nın karanlık unsurlarını çok güzel sergiliyor. Dilinden, kurgusundan neredeyse Poe kadar keyif aldım. Gotik seviyorsanız kaçırmayın :)
Jennifer
Oct 24, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiction, 2016
“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow & Other Macabre Tales,” is a collection of short stories by Washington Irving. I liked some stories better than others, but overall I’m giving the book 4 stars. The review that follows is only for the short story, “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.”

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow – 4*

… there is a little valley, or rather lap of land, among high hills, which is one of the quietest places in the whole world. A small brook glides through it, with just murmur enough to lu
...more
Robert
I was a victim of marketing with this book: If it had been The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. (the original title) on the cover I almost certainly would have passed it by. However, I could not miss out on the book holding Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, two stories whose fame outstrips that of their author by a few miles (at least in Britain).
THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

http://arbieroo.booklikes.com/
...more
Xueting
Read only several stories here, Rip van winkle and Sleepy Hollow for school, then two or three others for fun. I love the passion Irving has for the land, nature, the community and folktales - it's contagious in his writing. I also love how much he made me laugh unexpectedly.
Cheryl
He is called "America's first man of letters," one of the first American writers to separate literary fiction from public discourse; playing mentor to the likes of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville, and Edgar Allen Poe.

There are a lot of reasons I admire Irving's writings. One reason is I respect the tenacious writer, Irving, who only wanted to be left alone to write. He wasn't afraid to tell his family this after their firm collapsed, or to tell it to the editors who offered him jobs instea
...more
N.T. Embe
Sep 08, 2011 N.T. Embe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for the origins of some old legends, and the enjoyment of some pretty good stories!
Recommended to N.T. by: American Literature of the 19th Century (Class)
Shelves: education
It's been a long time since I had the pleasure of sitting down and reading pieces of literature written in a time before these last couple of decades, and this one did not disappoint. Mind you, while I'm reading this for my American Literature of the 19th Century class (English Major~ Who'd have guessed it~), it's a really delicious experience to be able to put down the more rampant outlandish stories that so often capture the minds of the youths today and read something that was trying to estab ...more
Arwen56
Sep 07, 2012 Arwen56 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Era da tempo che desideravo leggere un libro di Washington Irving. Per la precisione, la voglia mi è venuta la bellezza di 28 anni fa, ossia da quando, leggendo quel libro mitico che è “Comma 22”, mi sono imbattuta in Yossarian che firma i suoi "lavori" di censore alternativamente con il nome di Washington Irving e Irving Washington. Ma non me ne era mai capitata l'occasione.

Vorrei poter dire che il procrastinare la soddisfazione del desiderio ne abbia proporzionalmente aumentato il piacere. Ma
...more
Damiana
Feb 05, 2015 Damiana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, rc-alphabet
Due palle cosmiche!!!
Ero curiosa di leggere qualcosa di Irving, così ho preso questo libro, che (oltre al racconto che da il titolo al libro e da cui è stato tratto un film, qualche anno fa) comprende anche una serie di racconti e saggi scritti dall'autore durante i suoi numerosi soggiorni in Europa, all'inizio dell'Ottocento. L'unico racconto che salvo è proprio quello che da il titolo al libro, gli altri non mi hanno affatto entusiasmato. E' già tanto se sono riuscita a finirlo senza cedere al
...more
Ran
Jun 17, 2016 Ran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, loc-list
I'm pretty sure most Americans are familiar with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Ichabod Crane, schoolteacher trying to win the hand of local coquette Katrina Van Tassel over the local brute Brom Van Brunt (Brom Bones), runs into the ghostly apparition of the Headless Horseman (or Galloping Hessian) after a evening revel at the Van Tassel's home. It is presumed that Crane has been spirited away in the night, after his borrowed horse sans saddle and hat are found abandoned in the morning.

And perhap
...more
Ignacio Senao f
El relato que da nombre a esta recopilación es sin duda muy bueno. Por una ambientación que sumerge al lector en un espeso bosque con ruidos extraños. Los restantes muy flojos, extremadamente clásicos y poco originales. Pero lo que verdaderamente hace que sean malos es que un autor americano, intenta escribir literatura como si fuera español, con nuestra cultura y léxico propio. Quiso chulear mostrando sus conocimientos sobre España y metió la pata.
M.
Oct 27, 2013 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as scary as I remember, but still a classic October read.

Over the years, I've read, watched, and listened to a number of headless horseman retellings of Irving's tale, which watered down the original story's impact. So while rereading is fun, the experience isn't as good as when I first read it all those years ago (back when I knew very little about genre tropes and urban legends).
Aaron Koelker
I enjoyed this, however in what seems to be a reoccurring theme as of late, I pictured the Disney-versions of the characters throughout. The illustrations were nice, too.
Pınar
Oct 24, 2016 Pınar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
5/10
Bookworm
Oct 27, 2009 Bookworm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow starts off with the narrator describing the town of Sleepy Hollow. The mood is set perfectly, the small town is said to be haunted and the townspeople believe there is such a thing as the Headless Horseman.
Enter Ichabod Crane, who is a schoolteacher and arrives at Sleepy Hollow from Connecticut to teach the townchildren. Ichabod is described as being tall and lanky, with his clothes too large for his thin frame. He also enjoyed reading, singing and flirting with the t
...more
Tony
Oct 08, 2015 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE SKETCH BOOK. (1819+). Washington Irving. ****.
Irving published this series of both fiction and non-fiction “sketches” beginning in 1819. He issued them as separate collections of paperbound editions that came out serially. He also published them in England to maintain his copyright ownership. He ran into trouble in England when his publisher went bankrupt, but with a little help from Sir Walter Scott he found another company who issued the stories as two separate volumes. Most of the sketche
...more
V H
Jan 02, 2012 V H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I saw the movie Sleepy Hollow but when I saw this book I had to get it as I seemed to remember I liked the movie, and the book is usually better than the movie.

Sleepy Hollow is the last story in the book, and so I had to read a lot of other ones before I got to it. They seemed to get more and more boring. The stories themselves wasn't necessarily boring, but the way they were written was. My mind started wandering in all of them and I had to re-read whole pages because
...more
Poiema
Jan 18, 2010 Poiema rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I absolutely loved this book. Each chapter is self-contained, so it is a great book to keep at your bedside to pick up occasionally or when the mood strikes. Aptly named, because the author tackles a wide range of subjects---wherever his fancy takes him. Written in the elegant, descriptive English of an earlier era, this is not a book to breeze through quickly. Here is a man who has one foot in England and one in the New World and appears to hold both in affection. His unhurried ruminations as h ...more
Alex
I read Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, and while it was fun to actually read these stories that I'm so familiar with by cultural osmosis, the stories themselves were a little underwhelming.

Sleepy Hollow's Ichabod Crane is a pretty good character, and he's described wonderfully, all elbows and flapping. I like the ambiguity of the story as well: (view spoiler)
...more
Maria  (Mhemnoch)
Leí el relato de Sleepy Hollow y no me llegó nada.
Me esperaba un relato más oscuro, con más detalles de la leyenda en sí, no la historia de un profesor y su capricho con una chica y poco más. El estilo de escritura tampoco me llamó la atención, por eso lo dejé aparcado.
Puede que algún día me anime a probar con otro de los relatos. Por lo pronto, ahí se queda...
Laforgue
Dec 17, 2016 Laforgue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Son zamanlarda okuduğum en müthiş kitap diyebilirim. Keşke İthaki yazarın diğer kitaplarını da yayımlasa.
Beleth
Mejor vamos a correr un estúpido velo sobre este libro.
Michael Arnold
Aug 25, 2014 Michael Arnold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
(This should really be called by 'The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.' which is it's actual name) - this is a very interesting book, one I like very much. I'm glad I read this thing.
Fredrick Danysh
This work contains 33 works by Washington Irving to include the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, an early classic horror story.
Chaitra
I'll confess that I had no interest in reading this whatsoever, but did so for a challenge. It's mostly a disappointing set of stories.

My copy had:

1. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. This was the most disappointing of the lot for me. I love the Tim Burton movie, and it's amazing what was done with it now that I know that the story is so slight. Oh, Irving fills it with atmospheric details, enough to put Wordsworth and his daffodils to shame, but it still does not change the fact that the story is..
...more
Nicole
Jan 23, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Joel Van Valin
Although the best-known stories from Irving's Sketch Book ("The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle") are set in America, the bulk of the work is a series of vignettes by an American traveling in England. Irving looks in on Westminster Abbey, pops in on Little Britain, tours around Stratford-upon-Avon, enjoys Christmas at an old English manor house and takes us aside to tell a German ghost story ("The Spectre Bridgroom", which after the above-mentioned tales is the most memorable story ...more
Jessica
Sep 07, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university
Review to follow tomorrow morning (hopefully). Too exhausted right now...

*review*
Ok....I'm not going to lie...I didn't find this book very enjoyable.
I think a large part of the reason was due to the stories being of an almost entirely descriptive nature, with a complete lack of dialogue. This in itself wouldn't normally have been too much of an issue, but after 30 odd stories, it's a little repetitive and boring. The narrative just seemed to stretch on with no end in sight, and only very few of
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
  • Daisy Miller and Washington Square
  • Selected Stories
  • Common Sense and Other Writings
  • Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Tales of New York
  • Essential Tales and Poems
  • The Time Machine/The Invisible Man
  • Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories
  • A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth
  • Pygmalion and Three Other Plays
  • The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It
  • The Short Novels of John Steinbeck
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights
  • The Vampyre and Other Tales of the Macabre
  • Moby Dick
  • The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson/Those Extraordinary Twins
  • In a Glass Darkly
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
28525
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
...more
More about Washington Irving...

Share This Book



“There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” 197 likes
“Others may write from the head, but he writes from the heart, and the heart will always understand him.” 56 likes
More quotes…