Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  36,727 ratings  ·  329 reviews
The quintessential American writer, Washington Irving emerged as the country's first popular author with such beloved nineteenth-century short stories as "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle." These highly entertaining fiction masterpieces reveal Irving's unique mastery at portraying the landscapes and culture of early America.
This modestly priced edition incl
Published April 21st 2008 by Dover Publications (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories

Amira Mahmoud
كالعادة أغلب معلوماتي أحصل عليها من كتابات وترجمات الأب الروحي د.أحمد توفيق
المرة الأولى التي اسمع واقرأ فيها للكاتب الأمريكي واشنجتون آرفنج

العدد عبارة عن مجموعة من قصص للكاتب قام بترجمتها د.أحمد توفيق
"الشيطان توم ووكر" ، " الزوجة" هما أول قصص المجموعة
أعجبتني كثيرًا تلك الفضائل التي يتحدث عنها الكاتب، ويحاول دسها في أبطال قصصه
كان أبطاله انعكاس لما يريد أن يكون عليه الإنسان من صفات حسنة

في قصة الزوجة أعُجبت وتعجبت من نظرته للمرأة كزوجة وحبيبة!!

القصتين التاليتين عن الأساطير والخرافات التي يتداولها س
Robert
I was a victim of marketing with this book: If it had been The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. (the original title) on the cover I almost certainly would have passed it by. However, I could not miss out on the book holding Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, two stories whose fame outstrips that of their author by a few miles (at least in Britain).
THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

N.T. Embe [Moved to Leafmarks]
Sep 11, 2011 N.T. Embe [Moved to Leafmarks] rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those looking for the origins of some old legends, and the enjoyment of some pretty good stories!
Recommended to N.T. Embe by: American Literature of the 19th Century (Class)
Shelves: education
It's been a long time since I had the pleasure of sitting down and reading pieces of literature written in a time before these last couple of decades, and this one did not disappoint. Mind you, while I'm reading this for my American Literature of the 19th Century class (English Major~ Who'd have guessed it~), it's a really delicious experience to be able to put down the more rampant outlandish stories that so often capture the minds of the youths today and read something that was trying to estab ...more
Cheryl
He is called "America's first man of letters," one of the first American writers to separate literary fiction from public discourse; playing mentor to the likes of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville, and Edgar Allen Poe.

There are a lot of reasons I admire Irving's writings. One reason is I respect the tenacious writer, Irving, who only wanted to be left alone to write. He wasn't afraid to tell his family this after their firm collapsed, or to tell it to the editors who offered him jobs instea
Arwen56
Era da tempo che desideravo leggere un libro di Washington Irving. Per la precisione, la voglia mi è venuta la bellezza di 28 anni fa, ossia da quando, leggendo quel libro mitico che è “Comma 22”, mi sono imbattuta in Yossarian che firma i suoi "lavori" di censore alternativamente con il nome di Washington Irving e Irving Washington. Ma non me ne era mai capitata l'occasione.

Vorrei poter dire che il procrastinare la soddisfazione del desiderio ne abbia proporzionalmente aumentato il piacere. Ma
Damiana
Due palle cosmiche!!!
Ero curiosa di leggere qualcosa di Irving, così ho preso questo libro, che (oltre al racconto che da il titolo al libro e da cui è stato tratto un film, qualche anno fa) comprende anche una serie di racconti e saggi scritti dall'autore durante i suoi numerosi soggiorni in Europa, all'inizio dell'Ottocento. L'unico racconto che salvo è proprio quello che da il titolo al libro, gli altri non mi hanno affatto entusiasmato. E' già tanto se sono riuscita a finirlo senza cedere al
Mimi
Not as scary as I remember, but still a classic October read.

Over the years, I've read, watched, and listened to a number of headless horseman retellings of Irving's tale, which watered down the original story's impact. So while rereading is fun, the experience isn't as good as when I first read it all those years ago (back when I knew very little about genre tropes and urban legends).
Alex
I read Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, and while it was fun to actually read these stories that I'm so familiar with by cultural osmosis, the stories themselves were a little underwhelming.

Sleepy Hollow's Ichabod Crane is a pretty good character, and he's described wonderfully, all elbows and flapping. I like the ambiguity of the story as well: (view spoiler)
Poiema
I absolutely loved this book. Each chapter is self-contained, so it is a great book to keep at your bedside to pick up occasionally or when the mood strikes. Aptly named, because the author tackles a wide range of subjects---wherever his fancy takes him. Written in the elegant, descriptive English of an earlier era, this is not a book to breeze through quickly. Here is a man who has one foot in England and one in the New World and appears to hold both in affection. His unhurried ruminations as h ...more
V H
It has been a while since I saw the movie Sleepy Hollow but when I saw this book I had to get it as I seemed to remember I liked the movie, and the book is usually better than the movie.

Sleepy Hollow is the last story in the book, and so I had to read a lot of other ones before I got to it. They seemed to get more and more boring. The stories themselves wasn't necessarily boring, but the way they were written was. My mind started wandering in all of them and I had to re-read whole pages because
Bookworm
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow starts off with the narrator describing the town of Sleepy Hollow. The mood is set perfectly, the small town is said to be haunted and the townspeople believe there is such a thing as the Headless Horseman.
Enter Ichabod Crane, who is a schoolteacher and arrives at Sleepy Hollow from Connecticut to teach the townchildren. Ichabod is described as being tall and lanky, with his clothes too large for his thin frame. He also enjoyed reading, singing and flirting with the t
Ignacio Senao f
El relato que da nombre a esta recopilación es sin duda muy bueno. Por una ambientación que sumerge al lector en un espeso bosque con ruidos extraños. Los restantes muy flojos, extremadamente clásicos y poco originales. Pero lo que verdaderamente hace que sean malos es que un autor americano, intenta escribir literatura como si fuera español, con nuestra cultura y léxico propio. Quiso chulear mostrando sus conocimientos sobre España y metió la pata.
Radina
Times I did not live in appeal to me, and though I found it kind of challenging reading this in its original language (I’m afraid it’s quite obvious as you can see, English is not my native speech), I think that kept for me the old atmosphere as well. If you expect adventures, actions or something actually happening, you’ll be slightly disappointed – even in the famous “Sleepy Hollow” and “Rip Van Winkle” there’s not much, you have already probably heard the whole thing. The fine humour in the s ...more
Nicole
It was nice to re-read the stories I had grown up knowing and loving. I also realized, like most movies, they are completely different from the books. I knew the animated version of the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" quite well and as I grew older I fell in love with Tim Burton's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow starring Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci. The book however, wasn't as terrifying as I remembered it to be. But I guess back in the 1800s when Iriving wrote it, things were quite different.

Also in
Chaitra
I'll confess that I had no interest in reading this whatsoever, but did so for a challenge. It's mostly a disappointing set of stories.

My copy had:

1. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. This was the most disappointing of the lot for me. I love the Tim Burton movie, and it's amazing what was done with it now that I know that the story is so slight. Oh, Irving fills it with atmospheric details, enough to put Wordsworth and his daffodils to shame, but it still does not change the fact that the story is..
John Wiswell
Aug 17, 2007 John Wiswell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classics readers, short story readers, literary readers
Masterworks from one of the pioneers of the American short story, including the classic "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." "Rip Van Winkle," along with several lesser known stories like "The Angler," have aged very well and are very readable literary fiction for something from almost two hundred years ago. Their themes, of cultural change and the people who are lost in it, are prescient today. "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" has both examples of dated humor and dated horror, and i ...more
Maud
I bought this book after I have seen the movie of Sleepy Hollow almost a thousand times, I absolutely love the movie and I really wanted to have the book. This book contains more then just the story of Sleepy Hollow, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed them all. There were fun little stories, and all of them contained something about Dutch colonists (I'm Dutch) which I enjoyed. The way Irving wrote about them was fun, with some typical stereotype views. All of the stories also had some kind of ...more
Pamela
It's autumn and Halloween soon will be here. Need some good ghostly tales to while away safe and sound inside your home? Sure, go ahead and buy the latest Stephan King horror novel, but take time to check out Washington Irving first. I promise you, his Headless Horseman just may haunt your nightmares afterwards. And you will return year after year as I have. After all, we all need comfort food of the fantastical.

Read the rest of the review at I Smell Sheep Reviews: http://www.ismellsheep.com/201
Librariasaurus
Irving does not impress. This is an overly long collection full of stories that are never made clear as to their being fiction or non-fiction.

I rate this 2 stars but only because I love the English it's written in and because of the three stand out pieces: The Art of Book-Making, London Antiques and Rip Van Winkle.

The prose is flowery (unjustifiably so) and Irving comes across as a woman-hater when portraying the females of his stories.

No thankyou, not a fan, the Sleepy Hollow story for which
Kathy Jackson
Decided to read this as it is a classic and not that long so fit into the amount of time I had to read. In the beginning I loved the dialect it was written in - the old English - however, by the time it was done, I was rather tired of it.

It had some wonderfully discriptive lines such as "Though many years has elapsed ince I trod the drowsy shades of Sleepy Hollow, yet I question whether I should not still find the same trees and the same families vegatating in its sheltered bosom."

I was disappoi
Viviane Crystal
Sleepy Hollow, located in the Hudson River Valley of New York State, carries a familiar ambience of what Irving described as “The whole neighborhood abounds with local tales, haunted spots, and twilight superstitions…and the nightmare, with her whole nine fold, seems to make it the favorite scene of her gambols.” Such exquisite writing immerses the reader into the atmosphere Irving was so talented in creating in the well-known stories of “Rip Van Winkle” and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” from wh ...more
Moises Arispe

The title of the book is called THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW AND OTHER STORIES. The book was written by WASHINGTON IRVING. The number of pages in this book are 43 pages.
The book was published by Gregg Publishing Company, New York, Chicago. There are various characters in this book one of them is Ichabod Crane. He is a boy who would eat large amount of food. he would believe every myth, or tale you tell him, but he is also scared of ghost and demons. Other character is Katrina Van Tassel. This i
Linda
I'm still a fan of the Gothic tales that we all know him for. Most of the essays, however, didn't move me one way or another. While concise and interesting-true?-(I'm thinking of the essay on the difference between the Brits and the French), the style of the essays made them too easy to skim over--I guess what I'm saying is that the subject matter and his observations of young American society are more interesting than the prose or the style in which they're written.
Andrea McFirst
Non mi sarei mai aspettato di leggere un' opera così studiata e complessa.
Ho trovato questo libro nel reparto "Horror e Thriller" così mi aspettavo una raccolta di racconti in stile "Il Mistero Di Sleepy Hollow". Poi ho scoperto che il racconto in questione era davvero breve e solo il primo di ben 34 racconti/saggi.
Semplicemente splendido. Ogni saggio/racconto racchiude in se una descrizione dettagliata di alcuni elementi della vita inglese ed americana e tutte queste curiosità unite creano uno
Louize
"That's for kids", most people would say.
But more than that, this book is paranormally satisfying and inspiring.
It is surprisingly readable, witty, well-narrated, and unsoapy of dialogues.

I can't rightly say which of the stories is my favorite; one thing's for sure, Irving's stories were simply ahead of his time. And Arthur Rackham's illustrations were amazing.
Kristen
After visiting Irving's home in the historic Hudson Valley area, I was so completely intrigued by his life and contributions to American literature that I had to purchase this book. It's great to read works besides The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and understand his true genius in more depth. He led an interesting life, which comes to life in his short stories.
Arax Miltiadous
αλαφροΐσκιωτος και με χιούμορ... Το αλατοπίπερο της ζωής!
Η ευγλωττία των περιφραστικών των λόγων του σε συνταράσσει σώψυχα, τόσο που θες να σβήσεις την ύπαρξη σου μέσα σε αυτό το λογοτεχνικό παραλήρημα και να αποτελείς από δω και έπειτα, μέρος του.
3 αστεράκια γιατί δεν μου έφτασε. Θέλω κι άλλο να χορτάσω την πείνα μου.
Tonia
How have I not read anything of his before? I loved reading Sleepy Hollow and I never realized Rip Van Winkle only ever fell asleep for 20 years and that half the story is about escaping a nagging wife. Kind of funny. His sketches are well worded and I can feel my vocabulary increasing (yeah!) while still being amused.
Bill S.
In fact I read a collection that combined some stories from the Sketchbook and some of Irving's latter works but could not find this edition on Goodreads.

No surprises with this review. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle are far and away his two masterworks and rightly stand as two of the greatest stories in American Literature. What did surprise me is that he borrowed the ideas for both stories from German sources. That's fine -- his application to New York was done brilliantly.

The
Darin
While most readers will be familiar with "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle", the various less known works collected here are fascinating in the portraits they produce of life in England (Irving's residence at the time of writing and publication). In particular, the Christmas sketches clearly influenced Dickens's own Christmas tales. One of my favorites, which should also be of interest to other members of GoodReads, is "The Mutability of Literature" in which Mr. Irving visits the ...more
  • Fairy Tales
  • The Time Machine/The Invisible Man
  • Common Sense and Other Writings
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction
  • Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions (Barnes & Noble Classics)
  • The Collected Oscar Wilde (Classics)
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • The Enchanted Castle & Five Children and It
  • Selected Stories
  • Essays and Poems
  • Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights
  • The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson/Those Extraordinary Twins
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Rip Van Winkle Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle Tales of the Alhambra The Devil and Tom Walker

“There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” 178 likes
“Others may write from the head, but he writes from the heart, and the heart will always understand him.” 44 likes