Start by marking “The Awakening” as Want to Read:
The Awakening

The Awakening

The celebrated author of The Alchemist leaves the world of ancient Egypt with this chilling, modern ghost story of an unraveling family....

Mary is an amnesiac who wakes up in a sanitarium with no sense of her past other than the dim memory of an incident that took the lives of her physician husband and daughter. Her psychotherapist at the sanitarium convinces her that her
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2003 by Random House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakening

Lisa Richards
Aug 25, 2010 Lisa Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a hold of this book accidentally when looking for Kelley Armstrong's book by the same name. It lay on my desk for several weeks until I picked it up when looking for a stand alone short read when going to Raleigh to move my daughter back to college. It turned a 3 hour ride into a delight as I delved into this great mystery. I've got to admit that I thought I had it figured out several times but the author deftly ran circles around me. I can say little that doesn't spoil the book but you wi ...more
Christie
Feb 02, 2011 Christie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Donna Boyd’s novel The Awakening starts off promisingly enough. A woman wakes up, confused and disoriented. It’s clear that something traumatic has happened to her, but she has no recollection of what it is. Then we meet Paul Mason, his wife Penny and their daughter, Elsie. Paul’s a famous writer who hasn’t published anything new in over six years; Penny is a busy surgeon; Elsie is their troubled thirteen-year-old daughter. Paul and Penny’s marriage is hobbling along after Paul’s infidelity; Els ...more
Carlie
Apr 16, 2014 Carlie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara ★
For a 200 page book, it took an unbelievably long time to get to the freaking point. A good 100 pages until it finally got mildly interesting and less confusing! It was absolutely impossible to tell which group of people (Paul, Penny and Elsie) or (Mary, Jeff and Sarah) were the main characters and who were the ghosts. Incredibly confusing, disturbing and all together boring.

This is not the first book I've read and disliked by this author but it will be the last.
Laren
Apr 05, 2008 Laren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The "awakening" referred to in the title is one of the main characters' return to consciousness following an event she must figure out as part of her recovery. Meanwhile, a family has arrived at a lake house trying to repair their relationships following what turns out to be more than one difficult situation. How these characters intersect and help each other heal was somewhat predictable, but at least the author scores a few points for being creative.
Brigette
Sep 10, 2016 Brigette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good up until the end. The ending was so rushed for all the powerful discoveries revealed at the conclusion. I wonder why the author chose to rush the ending? The build up was great though. I wanted to know what was happening, and I was interested in the characters. Almost a 5 star book if the ending had been given as much depth as the rest of the story. 4 Stars
Melissa
Well, I ordered "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin from BookSwim.com and got this, "The Awakening" by Donna Boyd, instead. The title on the books says "The Awakening and Other Stories" but it wasn't - it was just "The Awakening." All that said, it was a cute little entertaining read. Didn't expect much of it, but I enjoyed reading it and had to keep reading to the end to see how it ended up!
Mary  (Biblophile)
Nice little mystery mixed with the supernatural. How the lives of the main characters intermix is a surprise.
Elizabeth
Very short book. I got rather lost in the wordiness.
Lisa Hemphill
Sep 20, 2015 Lisa Hemphill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a good quick read this is the book. It's a little confusing at first with its different storylines but it was entertaining and something I will probably read again.
Sharon
Feb 15, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this 3.5 stars if it were an option.
Deann Doolittle
I liked the story line for the most part. Sometimes it was a little confusing and sometimes it needed a little more explaining. It was a good mystery for the most part.
Kathy Kingery
Oct 28, 2012 Kathy Kingery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real good book, will probably read again in the future.
Kellie
Apr 13, 2011 Kellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sappy ending
Denise
Aug 28, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Short, light engaging read. Something suitable for a weekend or beach read. A family in throes of change are united through a mystery.
Maggie61
Maggie61 rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Gerardo Cardozo
Gerardo Cardozo rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2009
Kimmarie
Kimmarie rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2011
Misstexas2
Misstexas2 rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2008
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2011
Kim Fraenza
Kim Fraenza rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Elizabeth Bittner
Elizabeth Bittner rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Shaz-neil Longley
Shaz-neil Longley rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2011
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2010
Cynthia Eason
Cynthia Eason rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
USA Geography Cha...: The Awakening by Donna Boyd 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 06:47AM
The Ultimate ABC ...: The Awakening by Donna Boyd 1 1 Mar 14, 2012 05:44AM
  • Five Mile House
  • Tempting Fate (Saint-Germain, #5)
  • One Hex of a Wedding (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #5)
  • The Legend of the Seahawk
  • Only the Names Remain: The Cherokees and The Trail of Tears
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • Half Child
  • Ghosts
  • Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories
  • More Than You Know
  • Keisha the Fairy Snow Queen (Magic Attic Club, #8)
  • The Man in the Box
  • The Unsteady Earth (Veneficas Americana #4)
  • The Lost Enchantress
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2001
  • Just Peachy
  • Mommy Issues of the Dead (Marla Mason, Prequel #4)
  • Moses Goes to a Concert
aka Donna Ball, Rebecca Flanders, Donna Carlisle
With Shannon Harper as Leigh Bristol, Taylor Brady

Donna A. Ball born in 1951 in Georgia, USA. Her ancestors were one of the first pioneer families of North Georgia, and her family still lives on the land they purchased from the Cherokee in 1782.

Her first book was published in 1982 as Donna Ball, since them she has written over a dozen works of commer
More about Donna Boyd...