Start by marking “Blessed Are the Hungry: Meditations on the Lord's Supper” as Want to Read:
Blessed Are the Hungry: Meditations on the Lord's Supper

Blessed Are the Hungry: Meditations on the Lord's Supper

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Lord s Supper is the world in miniature; it has cosmic significance. Within it we find clues to the meaning of all creation and all history, to the nature of God and the nature of man, to the mystery of the world, which is Christ. It is not confined to the first day, for its power fills seven. Though the table stands at the center, its effects stretch out to the four c ...more
Published June 20th 2011 by Canon Press (first published December 19th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Are the Hungry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Are the Hungry

Eric Chappell
Dec 30, 2013 Eric Chappell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reading
These meditations (and concluding essay on Eucharist, Eschatology, & Culture) are mind blowing. Seriously, this is theology at it's best. A work that draws us into the drama of Scripture, unfolds the doctrine in its brilliance, leads us to doxological exclamation, and invites us into rich discipleship through the ordinary means Jesus instituted. For those of you skeptical of some of Leithart's theology, this book has a Michael Horton endorsement on the back. Dive in.

Impossible to summarize.
Becky Pliego
If you are member of a church which administers the Lord's Supper every Lord's Day with wine and bread, you are truly blessed.

Some further thoughts: How can some possibly say that one can make the Lord's Supper irrelevant and get "too used" to it if it is administered every week is beyond my comprehension. Isn't it what we, Christians, should long for every week? Just as much as we long to hear the Word preached, and the meeting with other Saints and worship the Triune God with them, and recite
Jacob Aitken
Wow! This book was good. It was intended to be read as a meditation before each of the Lord's Suppers celebrated in the church; however, I couldn't put it down.

The purpose of the book is to eventually show how the celebration of the Lord's Supper leads to eschatological renewal and subsequently, the transformation of culture. This is the Epilogue of the book. The chapter (each about five pages or so) build up to this theme.

Leithart examines the many facets of the Supper in biblical history, star
Steve
Mar 27, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent collection of 28 short devotional meditations on the Lord’s Supper. Peter Leithart combines his keen insights into Scripture and Reformed theology with a warm and pastoral style to explore the deep significance of the sacrament for the life of the Church. According the Leithart, a biblical worldview places the Table of the Lord at the very center of the universe where all of creation finds its meaning and significance. At the Table, the entire history of the universe is ...more
Rick Davis
Dec 07, 2010 Rick Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-theology
After finishing Defending Constantine, I sat down with another book by Peter Leithart, Blessed are the Hungry: Meditations on the Lord’s Supper. I originally intended to use Dr. Leithart’s meditations as devotional material, but I found that I couldn’t put the book down and finished it in a few days.

The majority of the book is a series of prolonged meditations on various aspects of the Lord’s Supper. Dr. Leithart draws on Ancient Near Eastern religions, Greek philosophy, and other historical mat
Sam Strickland
May 27, 2016 Sam Strickland rated it it was amazing
A little gem of a book. Ambitious while at the same time being unpretentious. Leithart composes a kind of biblical theology of the Lord's Supper with skill.
Omar

This is unlike any book on the Lord's Supper that I have previously read. Leithart shows us how the theme of meals thought the Scriptures can actually give us a deeper theology of Communion. He does not deal with any of he debates that surround the Lord's Supper, rather he build for us a beautiful picture of a communal meal that we celebrate today in anticipation of eating it again in his presence. As a result I have found that I am better able to see those same themes on my own as I read the S
CJ Bowen
Jul 12, 2009 CJ Bowen rated it it was amazing
By not rehashing the Reformation debates over presence and sacrificial character, Dr. Leithart's meditations on the Lord's Supper has taught me more about the Lord's Supper than any book I've read. He closes with the reminder that the command is not "Reflect on this" but rather "Do this". This book helps to foster the hunger that feasting with Jesus fulfills.
Garrett
Sep 05, 2013 Garrett rated it it was amazing
This would be a great book to pull out every Sunday before celebrating Communion. It is primarily a series of meditations in which the author draws from all over the Scriptures to focus our thoughts as we share the bread and the cup.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 03, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
Great.
Jonah
Aug 14, 2014 Jonah rated it really liked it
A wonderful book on the Lord's Supper. The Eucharist is much bigger than we assume. The chapters are short and can be read independently form one another, which makes this book useful as a daily devotional. Also, the appendix is worth buying the book.
Peter N.
Jul 21, 2010 Peter N. rated it it was amazing
Here Leithart shows how the Supper is everywhere in Scripture because Christ is everywhere in Scripture. Fruitful reading for the Christian life and for understanding Communion.
Jonathan Anderson
Jul 22, 2014 Jonathan Anderson rated it it was amazing
Superb. Excellent biblical theological devotions on the Lord's Supper. Rich and textured. The closing essay is worth the price of the book.
Josh
Aug 19, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
A bit fanciful at times, but nearly always fanciful in the right direction.
Aaron Cummings
Mar 06, 2012 Aaron Cummings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cummings-shelfs
Profoundly shaped my thinking on communion and ecclesiastical community.
Joshua D.
Oct 01, 2012 Joshua D. rated it really liked it
The story of the Scriptures through the lens of the Lord's Supper.
Lindsey Doolan
Jul 22, 2009 Lindsey Doolan rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Great theory, but needs more emotional appeal.
Abe Goolsby
Apr 13, 2009 Steven Hoffer rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Excellent
Luke Smith
Luke Smith marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Monica Flores
Monica Flores rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Laura Kendall
Laura Kendall marked it as to-read
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
carol strawcutter
carol strawcutter marked it as to-read
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Krhand
Krhand marked it as to-read
Jonathan Bispo
Jonathan Bispo marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Claire Berger
Claire Berger rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Christ, Baptism and the Lord's Supper: Recovering the Sacraments for Evangelical Worship
  • To a Thousand Generations: Infant Baptism: Covenant Mercy for the People of God
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, & Mission Around the Table
  • Christian Baptism
  • Foolishness to the Greeks: The Gospel and Western Culture
  • Plowing in Hope: Toward a Biblical Theology of Culture
Peter Leithart received an A.B. in English and History from Hillsdale College in 1981, and a Master of Arts in Religion and a Master of Theology from Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in 1986 and 1987. In 1998 he received his Ph.D. at the University of Cambridge in England. He has served in two pastorates: He was pastor of Reformed Heritage Presbyterian Church (now Trinity Presbyter ...more
More about Peter J. Leithart...