Teologia de La Liberacion

Teologia de La Liberacion

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  956 ratings  ·  35 reviews
This is the credo and seminal text of the movement which was later characterized as liberation theology. The book burst upon the scene in the early seventies, and was swiftly acknowledged as a pioneering and prophetic approach to theology which famously made an option for the poor, placing the exploited, the alienated, and the economically wretched at the centre of a progr...more
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1972 by Ediciones Sigueme (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Teologia de La Liberacion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teologia de La Liberacion

Linda
I started reading this with basically no knowledge of catholic theology and emerged with a glimmer of understanding and respect for Gutierrez' arguments so I'll count reading this book as time well spent despite the fact that I just could not follow some of Gutierrez' lines of thought. (His lack of clarity? My unfamiliarity? Probably both)
Natalie
Only 5 stars? 6 stars! 10 stars!

Finally, FINALLY, a worldview that matches my own. It was indescribably sweet to read a book that blends my views on faith and on society so wonderfully. It took me some time to read this one. I paused frequently just to think and reflect on what the author was saying. I felt like I was savoring the powerful statements sprinkling every page, rolling them around in my mind like some delectable treat. I can't even imagine how amazing it would be to see this book fro...more
Jane Van Hof
Interesting to pair his thought with Freire's theories of liberation for education.
Eve
This is an incredibly scholarly but also radical kick up the backside for Christian ministry and the Church. It was written in the 70s and embedded in latin american politics and religion, but has huge relevance today with the increasing poverty of the poorest in the world, the complete dominance of capitalism, and the necessary Christian response to such oppression and political injustice. It is the church how I wish it to be. It champions the struggles of the oppressed, and urges utmost solida...more
Jabbott
I believe that "A Theology of Liberation" by Gustavo Gutierrez is a prophetic call to change for Christians in the 21st century. The systems of injustice and oppression which are sustained by those in industrialized countries is a deeply embedded sin. Gutierrez writes that the love of God can liberate the world from those systems so that a "qualitatively different" society can be constructed based not on the importance of the privileged, but on the precepts of the Kingdom of God.

Many will say t...more
Glesnertod
A very difficult read. Long winded at a almost every point. As well, I needed a lot more context for what he was talking about. I needed more stories and concrete examples. I found it very difficult to enjoy. I thought, interestingly, that he was at his best when he was applying liberation theology to individuals living out their faith. The section on God as Creator-Redeemer was excellent. It should have begun where it ended, in providing a framework for poverty. I needed his overall line of thi...more
Maria
This is a challenging and difficult book. For those seeking to understand the basis of liberation theology, this is must-reading. It is not "wordy," it is dense--in the fullest, deepest sense of the word. Very much worth the effort.
Joel
This was more scholarly than I was expecting. Some interesting stuff, but I feel like I missed some of it because I'm not familiar with all the theologians he's interacting with.
Michael Heredia
This book has change my Christian perspective! It has rocked my world. It has made a mess of my faith, but what a beautiful mess it is! I'm looking forward to diving more into the world of Liberation Theology.
Loyd Harp
This book, although magnificent, is hard work to read for a Protestant/Pentecostal man from the 1st world. His context is so different from anything I am used to, even as a sympathizer with liberation theology. In some ways, A Theology of Liberation is the theological equivalent to the historical fiction of War and Peace--not in length, but in scope. Both take long periods of concentration and focus to work one's way through, but there are nuggets every so often that make the whole book worth it...more
Ryan
Extraordinarily important for those who wish to be Christians or social activists. Gutierrez has read the books and has also walked the walk. A truly amazing man of God with a perspective on scripture that is vital to discipleship in this age.
Gretchen
Jul 25, 2007 Gretchen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants a scholarly intro to lib theo and is willing to put in some work
After reading both Boff and Boff Introducing Liberation Theology and this book I am still confused about what exactly a "preferential option for the poor" is. Does it just mean that given the choice between helping rich people and helping poor people you choose poor people? I am also confused about what we in the first world can do to further the goal of liberation. Maybe I needed this to be a "mediated read".
Mark Franklin
This is the handbook of liberation theology, containing the early history of the movement and the clearest statement of what it really is from the beginning. I first read the book in a political science class examining Gutierrez as a political revolutionary, and recently read it as a work of revolutionary theology. After the second reading, I wonder if Gutierrez would recognize the movement he helped give birth to.
Kate
While Marx called religion the opiate of the people, the opposite can also be said--it can be the benzedrine of the people. This decidedly leftist take on Christianity shows how faith and activism can take hold of marginalized people and help them find their voice. It is historically important work for anyone interested in the effects of Vatican II, Central America or Christian Movements of the 20th Century.
Melanie Stand
this book is hard-going but worth sticking with. Gutierrez makes his case for a focus of theology on the poor. Those that think Gutierrez misguided in this need to read the OT and NT; for both are littered with examples of Gods passion and concern for the poor and oppressed and our response to that. This will be challenging but ultimately worthy of our attention.
Hank
As a non-catholic, I couldn't enjoy this book as much as a Catholic who is familiar with the edicts of the Church. The general message of Liberation theology is there, but I personally think James Cone presents it in a clearer manner. Otherwise, I definitely think this is worth reading for someone who doesn't know of or doesn't understand Liberation theology.
Harrison
What is the role of Christianity in the world?

Behind this seemingly simple question is a rich topic of prayerful inquiry that Gustavo Gutierrez explores fastiduously. Although overly academic at times, many passages of this book are richly challenging to people of faith. A must-read for anyone trying to understand Christianity's role in social justice.
Timothy McCluskey
I read this book for the first time while working on the Altiplano in Bolivia. Gutierrez is in the tradition of James Cone, among others. A hard lesson for americans is that Pastor Wright is in the same tradition - one of the few religious leaders in the states that is truely grounded in the biblical traditon.
Tom Webb
The father of liberation theology who despite the controversies promoted by conservative interests in the church today remains a leading and respected theologian for his defense of the poor against the on-slaught of corporate and nationalistic interests round the world.
Justin
This is the book you want to read about Liberation Theology. In fact, even so if you want to understand any of the branch movements - Palestinian, Feminist, Black, etc. The fruit of a soulful and passionate search for the truth of Jesus and His message to the modern world.
Terri
Finally finished! This book is excellent, though very slow going for me. I am sure that I missed more than I got form this book. But I at least have some understanding what Liberation Theology is. I feel challenged but what I read and learned.
Markie
This is a classic!!! I agree with it and I think our new Pope is also a proponent of this Theology!!! If he would just open up the discussion of Women's Ordination!!! I am hopeful that women deacons may be in our near future!!!
Paul Deane
Too specialized for me. With help from theologian friend Donna Teachau I have beginners understanding of the book. The concept is important. I would love to see this idea explored in a book for the general public.
David Holtkamp
I guess I should have paid better attention while reading this book. I got the gist of it, but a lot of it went over my head because my mind tended to wander because I'm not a theologist. But good insights nonetheless.
Brent Fernandez
ok, i should give this 5 stars, i know. but i feel as if i give way too many. yes, this is THE lib theo book, and without it, who knows what theology wouldn't have happened, but i enjoy others more.
Kristen
I picked up this book hoping to gain a better general understanding of Liberation Theology. As an introduction, I found the text pretty inaccessible. Too much theory, not enough discussion of praxis.
Nate
Still the best book to read to understand liberation theology. Although liberation theology has waned in influence, many of the ideas in this book have been adopted into more mainstream theology.
Jeff
Excellent introduction to the school. I think he relies too much on Marxism, but this is a must read to understand the movement. Seminal work.
Lee Staman
Fascinating introduction to this system of thought. He also gives an extensive overview of the socio-political climate of the era.
Bob
One of the first books that started the liberation theology movement. Very challenging to North American anglo Christians.
  • A Black Theology of Liberation
  • Introducing Liberation Theology
  • The Crucified God: The Cross of Christ as the Foundation and Criticism of Christian Theology
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • The Prophetic Imagination
  • Resident Aliens
  • Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology
  • The Violence of Love
  • Exclusion & Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness, and Reconciliation
  • Dynamics of Faith
  • The Nature and Destiny of Man Vol 1 & 2
  • The Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New CreationA Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethic
  • The Prophets
Gustavo Gutiérrez Merino, O.P. is a Peruvian theologian and Dominican priest regarded as the founder of Liberation Theology. He holds the John Cardinal O'Hara Professorship of Theology at the University of Notre Dame. He has been professor at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru and a visiting professor at many major universities in North America and Europe. He is a member of the Peruvian Ac...more
More about Gustavo Gutiérrez...
On Job: God-Talk and the Suffering of the Innocent We Drink from Our Own Wells: The Spiritual Journey of a People The God of Life Gustavo Gutierrez: Essential Writings Las Casas: In Search of the Poor of Jesus Christ

“If there is no friendship with them [the poor] and no sharing of the life of the poor, then there is no authentic commitment to liberation, because love exists only among equals.” 17 likes
“[Neighbor is] not he whom I find in my path, but rather he in whose path I place myself, he whom I approach and actively seek.” 17 likes