Start by marking “Skin Deep” as Want to Read:

Skin Deep

Someone is killing the most alluring women of Boston. Someone whose keen eye for beauty masks a twisted mind. Someone who insinuates himself into his victims’ lives and leaves them with nothing but an elegant black stocking knotted around their necks.

Homicide detective Lt. Steve Markarian must stop the killer before another vulnerable woman is sacrificed—possibly even his
Published July 8th 2008 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Skin Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin Deep

Kasia
Jun 14, 2010 Kasia rated it really liked it
Right of the bat I have to say that this isn't a medical thriller, I have read dozens in the last decade and this is laced with some procedures but don't expect Robin Cook or Michael Palmer, nevertheless this had some bits and pieces of surgery laced story that added to the tale and made for an interesting ending. This was my first time reading Gary Braver and after this experience I am curious enough to read more in the future. This tale starts off with a crime, unfortunately this is the only c ...more
Fran
Aug 09, 2011 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Author: Gary Braver
Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Terry Farina had a date. So, what could be deadly or harmful about that? Just the date! A fitness trainer, beautiful and friends with many men on the police force, her gruesome death hit more than a strong chord or nerve when her body was discovered. A black stocking was tied around her neck and she was strangled.

Detective Steve Markarian is the lead on this case. Entering the crime scene he handles things in a professional and meticulous manner
Cheryl
Aug 01, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
There's a killer on the loose in Boston!

This killer leaves his victims breathless. The victims are strangled with a black stocking. The latest victim to fall prey is none other then Terry Farina. Terry was a professional fitness trainer during the day and part -time stripper by night. Now it's Detective Steve Markarian's job to find the killer before it's too late. When starts investigating why Terry Farina was killed, Steve uncovers the disturbing and twisted mind of a psychopathic killer. But
Nate Vasquez
Nov 23, 2011 Nate Vasquez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my sisters
Recommended to Nate by: m mom
I think it was a good book it kept me going its one of the books i actualy have stayed up tio read at night.Its a book that keeps u wondering you want to know more information.But i uasualy take a month to two months to read big books because i uasualy dont have time.This book on theother hand right after football practice i ride the bus reading this book i make my time to read it was A outstanding book.

this book took place in boston,someone is cleverly murdering very buitefull woman.And the per
Nikki Fordey
Apr 19, 2011 Nikki Fordey rated it liked it
A solid book, but nothing special. The beginning was tough to get through for me, lots of technical jargon. But one of the threads of the story is very interesting to read and I found myself rushing through the other parts to get back to that one intriguing and beautifully articulated story line. It really picks up at the end and I think it was worth the time spent to read, but this definitely did not grab me by the throat by any means. I expect more suspense from thrillers, so in the end I was ...more
Kristen
Nov 23, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
In Gary Braver's Skin Deep, he explored another angle of medical science in this intriguing thriller. Someone was killing alluring woman in Boston, who also had the keen eye for beauty, and had insinuated himself into their lives, except for leaving a knotted stocking around their necks. For Homicide Detective Steve Markarian, he was on the hunt for the killer, before another vulnerable woman might be sacrificed, like his estranged wife. With loneliness and addictions, he searched everywhere in ...more
Jackie Jameson
Jan 04, 2015 Jackie Jameson rated it liked it
Pretty good for what it was. Cop and wife relationship kinda stupid to me, but that didn't stand in the way of it being a fairly good read. I won't remember reading it 2 months from now, but the writing was good enough compared to some other stuff I've attempted lately out there. Read kind of like an episode of "Nip, Tuck", if you saw that defies some years ago. Pretty good for what it presented itself to be. Color me "pleased."
Casey
Jul 15, 2012 Casey rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I feel as though I should be kind because this book was a gift and I am roughly acquainted with the author (who is a very nice man), but I got 123 pages into this book and had to put it down. I found myself rewriting while I was reading. Nothing concise about it. If you took Creative Writing in college you will know that Braver goes against everything you were taught, and not in a "all the best authors break the rules" sort of way. Too bad, but it's the sad truth.
Darden North
Jul 06, 2012 Darden North rated it liked it
Easy read over a week-long vacation, but a disturbing piece of fiction. Braver is able to hide the real killer from the reader until about 3/4 of the way through and handles the disguise in a clever way. He convolutes the ending to break the predictable "cops to the rescue just in the nick-of-time" climax but spoils it somewhat with wordy backstory in the last few pages.

I recommend this novel to thriller fans.
Terrie
Oct 04, 2008 Terrie rated it did not like it
I can't even believe this is from the same author as Elixir and Gray Matter. It was both predictable and unbelievable.
Lisa
May 25, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Pretty good! I kind knew what was going to happen, but wasn't certain enought to let the ending be spoiled. In fact, about 5 pages from the end a sligt twist was added that made me think I was wrong - Kudos! Interesting characters and good dialogue. The only thing I didn't like was the wife - what a total jerk!
Roger Scherping
Apr 09, 2016 Roger Scherping rated it liked it
Well written, but very little suspense until the very end. For the first 400 pages, the only exciting thing that happened was the search of the partner's apartment. For the most part, I really felt that the book just dragged on and on. Most of the plot came just from observing the lives of two very insecure people.
Christina
Feb 27, 2009 Christina rated it it was amazing
Tomi
May 20, 2014 Tomi rated it liked it
The cover of this book advertises it as a medical thriller...not so sure it qualifies as medical! But it kept me guessing most of the way through and the characters were well-drawn and believable. Good mystery and I enjoyed it.
Tina
Jan 29, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it
Excellent murder mystery with some good twists and turns. Good medical thriller undertones as well.
Mary
Nov 22, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Gripping medical thriller, intricate plot, with a fitting twist at the end. I liked the Boston setting, although none of the characters rode the T and they never went to Cambridge.
Cindy Bertossa-Weger
May 22, 2009 Cindy Bertossa-Weger rated it really liked it
This was one of those where you think you have it figured out, but then when you actually do figure it out you have to go back and re-read parts and then it's like "oh yeah, now I get it". Loved it!
Ashley
Nov 26, 2013 Ashley rated it did not like it
I started this as an audio book, which was a mistake. Creepy, and gross. Well written but never agian.
JP O'Donnell
Jun 01, 2009 JP O'Donnell rated it liked it
Good dialogue and character descriptions, but an uncomfortable topic that sometimes makes you squirm. I thought there were too many early clues that gave the ending away.
Julie
Dec 19, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
amazing author, really knows how to write. As for the book itself, I found the idea very....original,wouln`t really call it a medical drama though but still very good. ...more
Ted
Dec 13, 2008 Ted rated it it was ok
Decent but not great read. Formulaic and predictable plot but good pacing.
Zulma Diaz
Dec 30, 2008 Zulma Diaz rated it liked it
Good book, though very graphic! I couldn't put it down, even when I was most uncomfortable reading some of the more disturbing parts. I would read another of his books.
Victoria Valentine
Jul 22, 2012 Victoria Valentine rated it it was amazing
Opening scene is nerve wracking and gruesomely descriptive. Precisely what any horror fan would love. Gary Braver is a fantastic writer.
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2014
Desiree
Desiree rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2017
Carole Clark
Carole Clark rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Shernena
Shernena rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
Kimberly Lafontaine
Kimberly Lafontaine rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2014
Karen Dunn
Karen Dunn rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
David Peters
David Peters rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley, #3)
  • Honningfellen (Cato Isaksen #6)
  • Death Mask
  • Bunker
  • Driftleven
  • Spoorloos (Cel 5 #3)
  • De stille zonde (Paul Vegter #1)
  • Schone Handen
  • Oversteken
  • Drift
  • De Vlucht
  • My Last Confession
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Verlies
Gary Braver is the pen name of Gary Goshgarian, the author of six critically acclaimed suspense novels: three under his own name--Atlantis Fire, Rough Beast and The Stone Circle--and three under his pen name--Elixir, Gray Matter, and Flashback. He is also the author of four popular college writing textbooks--Exploring Language, The Contemporary Reader, Dialogues, and What Matters in America.

Gary G
More about Gary Braver...