Start by marking “Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings” as Want to Read:
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings
Preview

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  15 reviews
No American writer of the 19th century was more universally enjoyed and admired than Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. His works were extraordinary bestsellers for their era, achieving fame both here and abroad. Now, for the first time in over 25 years. Poems and Other Writings offers a full-scale literary portrait of America's greatest popular poet. Here are the poems that crea ...more
Published August 28th 2000 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Shakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareComplete Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Road Not Taken and Other Poems by Robert FrostComplete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
Goodreads Top 100 Poems of All Time
37th out of 184 books — 166 voters
The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert FrostThe Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonThe Collected Poems by W.B. YeatsThe Complete Poems by John Keats
Best Poets
73rd out of 232 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick Gibson
I have this in my poetry collection—so no one else will have too. Don’t worry. I’ve read all of the really good stuff for you. The rest I’ve ripped out.

“Her rattling shrouds, all sheathed in ice,
With the masts went by the board;
Like a vessel of glass, she stove and sank,
Ho! ho! the breakers roared!

At daybreak, on the bleak sea-beach,
A fisherman stood aghast,
To see the form of a maiden fair,
Lashed close to a drifting mast.

The salt sea was frozen on her breast,
The salt tears in her eyes;
And he saw
Robert Palmer
Longfellow is one of my favorite poets, though he is no longer held in the same high esteem that he once was. During his lifetime, he was widely regarded as the greatest American poet, and his works were very popular. In the twentieth century, "scholars" began to criticize Longfellow harshly, causing him to fall from popularity.

I happen to believe that poetry should speak to a broad audience and be understandable to anyone, not just a few self-appointed elites. I also happen to believe that "fre
Keith
Longfellow is easily ignored by contemporary literature lovers. Better known than read, scores of readers avoid his works and seemingly don’t miss much. Very little of his writing has spawned new works or garnered citations and references in new writing. Yet he was fantastically popular in his lifetime.

Why does he suffer such careless indifference? While he was boldly anti-slavery when that wasn’t a popular sentiment, he was otherwise a more conventional, safely liberal Tennyson without the mus
Daniel
I hesitate to rate this book, but give it four stars because many (so many) of the poems are so wonderful. And I flagged a good number for further reading and reflection. His insights are keen, his language rhythmical.

Some of the poems, to be sure, fall flat, with language that is trite and expressions which are tired.

My biggest problem with the book (which seems par for the course for many anthologies of poetry today) is the absence of introduction. The editor chooses not to tell us what inspi
Haley
May 29, 2013 Haley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Haley by: Smith Prep
Longfellow's poems were all exciting and intriguing. A lot of his poems seemed to being telling a story, which to me is practically always exciting and intriguing!!
A little note of my own:

Wisdom in poetry
I hath found.
Intellect and symmetry,
Beautifully bound.

“Art is long, and Time is fleeting”*
As he saith indeed.
Here I stand in awe repeating
The wise words I read.

So bear with me ‘til
The end of my rhyme
Inspired by his skill,
Greatest of all time.

*A Psalm of Life
Although My Lost Youth was not my fav
Elizabeth
LOVE! So talented and mesmerizing. My favorites are Hiawatha, The Courtship of Miles Standish, Evangeline, The Wreck of the Hesperus, The Village Blacksmith, and The Children's Hour.

Susanna Suchak
I was between 3 and 10, what did I know? And this wasn't the version. I still have the original, though the cover has come off. The back cover has a 5 digit numerical phone number! That's how old it is. I think I liked the rocking, rhythm of Longfellow's poetry, especially Hiawatha...as blarney laden as it is.
Roger
I liked the stories that he told but they were very long. No wonder he was called Longfellow! I had to take the book back to the library, but I could see myself getting some of his individuals stories and reading those individually.
Elizabeth
While "Psalm of Life" stands as one of my favorite poems in existence, no one can surpass Eliot in my eyes.
Michelle
The Children's Hour is one of my all time favorite poems. It moves me every time I read it.
Jemima Soutter
the one word that pops in to my mind beautiful!
Joanna
This book is like an old friend to me.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Jesse Broussard
Very worthwhile.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: poetry
None
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Azah Wahab
Azah Wahab marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Moira
Moira marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Amy Chino
Amy Chino marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Russell Williams
Russell Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Jonathan Korns
Jonathan Korns marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • Poems and Translations
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • Prose and Poetry
  • Selected Poems
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Major Works
  • Selected Poems: 1931-2004
  • Tales and Sketches
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems The Complete Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow