Start by marking “Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings” as Want to Read:
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings

No American writer of the 19th century was more universally enjoyed and admired than Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. His works were extraordinary bestsellers for their era, achieving fame both here and abroad. Now, for the first time in over 25 years. Poems and Other Writings offers a full-scale literary portrait of America's greatest popular poet. Here are the poems that crea ...more
Published August 28th 2000 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Robert Palmer
Aug 13, 2013 Robert Palmer rated it it was amazing
Longfellow is one of my favorite poets, though he is no longer held in the same high esteem that he once was. During his lifetime, he was widely regarded as the greatest American poet, and his works were very popular. In the twentieth century, "scholars" began to criticize Longfellow harshly, causing him to fall from popularity.

I happen to believe that poetry should speak to a broad audience and be understandable to anyone, not just a few self-appointed elites. I also happen to believe that "fre
Patrick Gibson
Aug 28, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I have this in my poetry collection—so no one else will have too. Don’t worry. I’ve read all of the really good stuff for you. The rest I’ve ripped out.

“Her rattling shrouds, all sheathed in ice,
With the masts went by the board;
Like a vessel of glass, she stove and sank,
Ho! ho! the breakers roared!

At daybreak, on the bleak sea-beach,
A fisherman stood aghast,
To see the form of a maiden fair,
Lashed close to a drifting mast.

The salt sea was frozen on her breast,
The salt tears in her eyes;
And he saw
Haley
Jan 31, 2013 Haley rated it liked it
Recommended to Haley by: Smith Prep
Longfellow's poems were all exciting and intriguing. A lot of his poems seemed to being telling a story, which to me is practically always exciting and intriguing!!
A little note of my own:

Wisdom in poetry
I hath found.
Intellect and symmetry,
Beautifully bound.

“Art is long, and Time is fleeting”*
As he saith indeed.
Here I stand in awe repeating
The wise words I read.

*A Psalm of Life
Although My Lost Youth was not my fav
Rosa Ramôa
Feb 22, 2017 Rosa Ramôa rated it it was amazing
"No carácter, na conduta, no estilo, em todas as coisas, a simplicidade é a suprema virtude."
Keith
May 22, 2014 Keith rated it liked it
Longfellow is easily ignored by contemporary literature lovers. Better known than read, scores of readers avoid his works and seemingly don’t miss much. Very little of his writing has spawned new works or garnered citations and references in new writing. Yet he was fantastically popular in his lifetime.

Why does he suffer such careless indifference? While he was boldly anti-slavery when that wasn’t a popular sentiment, he was otherwise a more conventional, safely liberal Tennyson without the mus
Daniel
Feb 18, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it
I hesitate to rate this book, but give it four stars because many (so many) of the poems are so wonderful. And I flagged a good number for further reading and reflection. His insights are keen, his language rhythmical.

Some of the poems, to be sure, fall flat, with language that is trite and expressions which are tired.

My biggest problem with the book (which seems par for the course for many anthologies of poetry today) is the absence of introduction. The editor chooses not to tell us what inspi
Purva Brown
Feb 12, 2017 Purva Brown rated it liked it
I did like some of these. Obviously, I didn't read the epics.
Susanna Suchak
I was between 3 and 10, what did I know? And this wasn't the version. I still have the original, though the cover has come off. The back cover has a 5 digit numerical phone number! That's how old it is. I think I liked the rocking, rhythm of Longfellow's poetry, especially Hiawatha...as blarney laden as it is.
Jonathan
Aug 20, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was ok
His short works are good. 'Evangeline' and 'Myles Standish' are the better long poems. The Song of Hiawatha is one of the most mind numbing, racist bits of literature I've ever read. And don't get me started on his essay 'The Literary Tradition of Our Country.'
Roger
Jun 18, 2010 Roger rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I liked the stories that he told but they were very long. No wonder he was called Longfellow! I had to take the book back to the library, but I could see myself getting some of his individuals stories and reading those individually.
Jun 21, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Longfellow is among the great writers of human history, so this book is useful as a reference for his work. The endnotes, however, are sparse. A scholar needs more than this volume to get deep into his opus.
Lizzy
Mar 25, 2015 Lizzy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wem, classics, poetry
LOVE! So talented and mesmerizing. My favorites are Hiawatha, The Courtship of Miles Standish, Evangeline, The Wreck of the Hesperus, The Village Blacksmith, and The Children's Hour.

Elizabeth
Dec 19, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
While "Psalm of Life" stands as one of my favorite poems in existence, no one can surpass Eliot in my eyes.
Joanna
Jul 28, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing
This book is like an old friend to me.
Jesse Broussard
Apr 19, 2008 Jesse Broussard rated it really liked it
Shelves: excellent
Very worthwhile.
Mii
Jun 27, 2014 Mii rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
None
Anne French
Anne French rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Kathy Lynne
Kathy Lynne rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2014
Megan White
Megan White rated it really liked it
May 25, 2009
John Ermer
John Ermer rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Brandi
Brandi rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
William Bazzell
William Bazzell rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Rose Talladen
Rose Talladen rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Cora
Cora rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
May 25, 2008
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2008
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2010
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
  • The Collected Poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar
  • Collected Poems and Translations
  • Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Collected Essays and Poems
  • Elizabeth Bishop: Poems, Prose, and Letters
  • Selected Poetry
  • Greek Lyrics
  • The Complete Poems
  • Byron: Poems
  • "I Am": The Selected Poetry of John Clare
  • Pierre, Israel Potter, The Piazza Tales, The Confidence-Man, Tales, Billy Budd
  • Poems and Translations
  • Collected Poems, 1956-1987
  • The Figured Wheel: New and Collected Poems, 1966-1996
  • Complete Poems of Stephen Crane
  • Tales and Sketches
  • Selected Poems
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...