Start by marking “Those Who Went Remain There Still” as Want to Read:
Those Who Went Remain There Still

Those Who Went Remain There Still

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Heaster Wharton is dead, and his passing might mean an end to hostilities between the Manders and the Coys. If the the elderly patriarch showed the kindness and foresight to split his land cleanly between his feuding descendants, then a truce could be arranged.

But his final request is a strange one, delivered across the country to the straggling remnants of his tribe. Repr
Published December 31st 2008 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Went Remain There Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Went Remain There Still

Nikki
I didn't get on with the first Cherie Priest book I read (Boneshaker), but I enjoyed Bloodshot and Hellbent enough that I'm starting to try her other stuff. It seems like she can be a bit hit and miss, with me: I wasn't a big fan of Four and Twenty Blackbirds, either, but I enjoyed this short horror novella. It's mostly the atmosphere that works, the fact that she invokes her three narrators' voices well, brings to life the valley and the simmering resentment between the two halves of the family ...more
Chris
Did you watch History Channel's ratings breaking Hatfields and McCoys mini-series? Did you read a book about the famous feud? Then you might like this book. Two feuding families must send members to get a will that will relieve who gets the valley.

Of course, there is something in the cave. Something nasty.

The book's weakness is the second half which doesn't feel as scary as the sections told by Boone, who was one of the men who first discovered the monster.

Brooke
Cherie Priest seems to be able to do anything well. This novella is a creepy little monster story; it's sort of what the movie Jeepers Creepers would have been like if it was set in 1775 and 1899. The descriptions are vivid, the characters are interesting, and Priest does a good job creating a sense of foreboding and dread.
MG
In 1775, Daniel Boone and a cast of hearty axe-men are busy chopping their way through the Cumberland Gap to clear the land for a road. These frontiersmen encounter a predator more powerful and cunning than any you might expect in the deep woods. Night after night, they encircle the campfire as members of their band are picked off one by one. Finally they overpower the monster, leaving the beast for dead in a nearby cave.

More than a hundred years have passed. In that same area a different fight
Mike
I’ve been waiting quite a while to read Those Who Went Remain There Still which I ordered for the library earlier in 2008. It was on backorder with B&T for a while and we only received our copy a week or so ago. I’m glad we finally did as the story (novella?) was a brisk entertaining read that cast a straightforward monster story in a fascinating light. In a sparse 175 pages Priest manages to craft not only a cast of believable characters, including the historical Daniel Boone, but a surpris ...more
MB Taylor
I finished reading Those Who Went Remain There Still last night. It’s a short horror novel (170 pages) set in Kentucky in 1899 with flashbacks to 1775. Beyond that it’s a monster-in-the-dark romp.

The 1899 story concerns a feuding, somewhat inbred, Kentucky family, the Manders and the Coys, both descended from the recently deceased Heaster Wharton, Junior. Heaster is not only the local patriarch, but also the richest man in town (although that’s not saying much given the local squalor). In an app
Lyn
"A creepy little monster story" -- that's how author Cherie Priest describes this delightful 170-page tidbit of a novel.

Set in 1775 and 1899, the story alternates between Daniel Boone's adventure in building the Wilderness Road and two feuding families brought together over a patriarch's last will.

Although I felt the story started slowly, ponderously heavy with the baggage of exposition, once the assembled party got underway, the action developed with the crackle of an oil-fed wildfire. With the
Miriam
Aug 14, 2011 Miriam marked it as to-read
Shelves: library-lack
Having ordered this book three times and not received it, I decided to actually drive to the branch that owned it, since it was listed as on the shelf. It was not on the shelf. It has been missing since April, they just hadn't bothered to change the information in the catalog. Thanks a lot for the 30 minute drive, Valley Hi Library!

Moral of the story: if you can't get it from the Internet, don't bother.
Elizabeth
A very strange tale of an inbred family and how the their leader (Hester Jr) decided to choose his inheritor, combined with a tale of Daniel Boone and his men trying to clear a trail, 100 years before, through Kentucky, and the monster that brings them all together.
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Angela
One of the big reasons I've picked up everything Cherie Priest has written is her propensity for taking established SF/F tropes and finding not only new ways to look at them, but actively odd ones as well--and in a run of intriguingly odd books, Those Who Went Remain There Still stands out as particularly strange.

And that's a good thing. I haven't read very much non-steampunk fantasy out there set in the early history of the United States and to find this one was a pleasure in no small part beca
Fantasy Literature
Those Who Went Remain There Still is a short Southern Gothic horror novel by Cherie Priest which I listened to in audio format. The story follows two plotlines told in alternating chapters. One is excerpts from Daniel Boone’s Reflections Upon the Wilderness Road which he wrote while leading a group of trailblazers across Kentucky. Every night, Boone and his men are being stalked, picked off, and eaten by a huge bird-like monster.

The second plotline follows the history of Daniel Boone’s descendan
Mary
Well this one is definitely weird. Cherie Priest calls it a monster story, and it is, but it is two stories tangled together from two times long ago. To my mind it is a variation of King's novel It. Two men, related but not close, come back to a cursed territory in Kentucky to settle a will after the mean, ancient family patriarch dies.

I am unsettled about the book. It ends abruptly, which I did not like, and some story threads (to my mind, anyway) hang unresolved, but the abrupt end may be exa
Orrin Grey
In her acknowledgments, Cherie Priest calls Those Who Went Remain There Still a "cheesy little monster story," and the best part is that she's not kidding. There's a seemingly unkillable bird-monster, there's Daniel Boone, there's spiritualism, and tons of weird adventure to be had. Plus the book is short, attractive, and illustrated. What more could you ask for?
Neil
first person narrator changing between chapters was very confusing, but it started off with an interesting premise (totally made me think of "The Upstream Tanbarks" from a recent session of my gaming group ;).

but one character "seeing dead people" felt a little played out, and the situation revealed at the end was pretty obvious halfway through. then it ended, without any resolution. just a mess of implausible action that felt like the spelunking horror film "Descent".
Slmstanley
I love Priest's Southern Gothic novels so damn much.

This one is told in two lines of narrative: one by Daniel Boone, and one by descendants of a Kentucky hill family who are imperiously summoned home after the passing of their family's hateful, violent patriarch. There, they are told that each branch of the family must send a representative into a dark cave in search of the will. Dark and evocative, this brought memories of my extended family back to my mind. Just brilliant.
QuesterMark
Gripping. So may parts written in a way that perfectly expresses frantic activity. Other parts written in a way that really sets the tone of the year in which the story is set. I saw an interview of Ms Priest on Sword and Laser, and she said something about this story being inspired by a cave in her family's folklore. Hey, did this come out before or after that monster movie ... darn, can't finish the question without including a spoiler.
Priest's strength lies in historical fiction set in her native Tennessee and it shows in this great story of a final, vindictive treasure hunt set by a man just as evil as the cave dwelling monsters he sends his family - without warning - to meet. Whether this is just one final malicious swipe from the grave, or an attempt to save future generations is not answered until the very end of the book, making this an entertaining read.
Chris
I liked this book very much. It rattles along at a good pace, and ends, I think, much too quickly. And I was thoroughly creeped out. Be forewarned: I am fairly easily creeped out if the story is good. If the story or writing is bad, I'll drop out of a book in a heartbeat. This one kept my interest so well I listened to it at home on a Saturday, instead of during my long commute.
Catherine Siemann
Spare, vivid, and effective monster story set during Daniel Boone's road-building expedition through Kentucky and then again at the turn of the twentieth century, among a feuding Southern extended family. Every detail counts for something (for example, why a character is first encountered in Lily Dale, N.Y.) and the story has a cinematic quality that makes it vivid reading.
Wendy
I read this on the plane to Paris. It was short and somewhat violent but kind of interesting. It is about feuding members of an extended family having to go down into a cave to find a will that was hidden there. There is a silly-sounding, but viscious, monster down there. The author has a way of making the situation scarier than other authors could.
Les
A quick read. Althought he start seemed somewhat hesitant at first the book quickly came together for me and I really developed a feeling for the environment the characters had escaped and were being drawn back to. The action is well paced and the ending left me in an oddly sober mood of contemplation. A monster story well done.
Maria D'Isidoro
This book is like a SyFy original movie if a SyFy movie were actually GOOD. It's a short, scary monster book for people who want their scare fix quickly and without atrocious acting. I could've asked for an extended ending, but I'll take what I've got without fuss.
Joanne
I am quite a fan of the author so was not surprised I loved this book. Every rereading adds to this haunting southern story's charm for me. I believe it is her best in many ways, and own both the hard to get print version and the equally gracious Audible version.
Eric
Starts off a little oddly but the middle two thirds is pretty intense. The ending was a little bit of a letdown. I love Cherie Priest's novels but sometimes her endings can be a bit lacking. Overall though a pretty good short read. More of a novella.
David Marshall
This is a nicely produced physical book from Subterranean Press that manages to maintain a good pace through a fairly standard horror plot.

CeeCee
This is my favorite Cherie Priest book yet. It's about feuding families, monsters and Daniel Boone. It's more of a novella rather than a full fledged book and I would've loved more of a background of the feuding family but such is.
Roswita
Ms. Priest has spun a fine yarn about a creature that lives in a cave and the things men will do for family and inheritance. It is, in her own words, a "cheesy little monster story," and I highly recommend it.
Bean
I bought it for 4 bucks. It was worth every penny. It was a quick read but a damn fine one.
I'm going to have to pass it around for All Hallow's Read next year ;)
Cherie Priest writes some creepy books. My favorite part of this one was actually the flashbacks. Watch out Daniel Boone!
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
  • Alabaster
  • Seven for a Secret (New Amsterdam, #2)
  • Darkness: Two Decades of Modern Horror
  • A Book of Tongues (Hexslinger, #1)
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities
  • Gravelight (Light, #3)
  • Stable Strategies and Others
  • The Painted Darkness
  • Softspoken
CHERIE PRIEST is the author of over a dozen novels, including the steampunk pulp adventures The Inexplicables, Ganymede, Dreadnought, Clementine, and Boneshaker. Boneshaker was nominated for both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award; it was a PNBA Award winner, and winner of the Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Cherie also wrote Bloodshot and Hellbent from Bantam Spectra; Fathom and the ...more
More about Cherie Priest...
Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1) Dreadnought (The Clockwork Century, #2) Clementine (The Clockwork Century, #1.1) Ganymede (The Clockwork Century, #3) Bloodshot (Cheshire Red Reports, #1)