Start by marking “Eighty Acres: Elegy for a Family Farm (The Condord Library Series)” as Want to Read:
Eighty Acres: Elegy for a Family Farm (The Condord Library Series)

Eighty Acres: Elegy for a Family Farm (The Condord Library Series)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Jager, formerly a professor of philosophy at Yale, details the Michigan family farm that he grew up on in the 1930s.
Published July 20th 1997 by Beacon Press (first published October 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Eighty Acres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eighty Acres

Jim
Our early roots are in farm country. Dad didn't farm himself, but most of my uncles did. Even in moving West in 1962, Dad had a cousin he loved to visit in Ellensberg, Washington. The cousin lived on a farm. Ronald Jager grew up on a family eighty acre farm in Michigan. From what I've learned from the book so far, his experiences are pretty typical of my relatives.

Reading this book was much like sitting down with the author. He reports farm life and the nature of growing up in that kind of famil
Scott DeVore
My rating might be purely nostalgic as this is about growing up in the Midwest farm country (specifically Michigan), but there is a subtle wit in the narration and storytelling. There isn't much action and nothing of note really happens. (They learn how to tap syrup out if a tree, if you find that sort of thing exciting). Yet, It's one of those where as soon as I finished a chapter I needed to start immediately on the next.
Judy
Picked this book off my mom's bookshelf to read aloud to her. I didn't think I would enjoy it nearly as much as I did. The author's use of language sometimes brought me close to tears it is so beautiful.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Lisa Leisher
Lisa Leisher marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Bernard Doddema Jr
Bernard Doddema Jr marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Don Johanesen
Don Johanesen marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Mitchell Yoder
Mitchell Yoder marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Katz!
Katz! added it
Jul 22, 2013
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Kathy Sipple
Kathy Sipple marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Ken De
Ken De marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2012
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2012
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2012
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2012
The Fate of Family Farming: Variations on an American Idea Last House on the Road: Excursions Into a Rural Past Last House on the Road: Excursions into a Rural Past (The Concord Library) The Granite State: New Hampshire Portrait of a Hill Town: A History of Washington, N. H., 1876-1976