Start by marking “The Cyborg From Earth” as Want to Read:
The Cyborg From Earth

The Cyborg From Earth (Jupiter #4)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Called "the new Arthur C. Clarke" by The Washington Post Book World and "a scientist with a fine literary sense" by The Denver Post, Charles Sheffield has crafted a an exciting adventure about a frustrated teen who just can't seem to do anything right.

Jeff Kopal is heir to a powerful military family. He's got everything going for him. Except one thing: Jeff is a total scre
Published November 17th 2003 by Starscape (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Cyborg From Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cyborg From Earth

D.w.
I picked this book up a long time ago. I have read some of the others in the Jupiter Novels and have read other Charles Sheffield.

This overall fell flat. We have a rich scion who starts off with his father being dead. His mother severely hurt, and he just has to pass some stupid archaic horse jumping test to be sent off to the right branch of the navy. And when he fails and is sent off to the wrong branch, he just goes along.

He has had years to prepare for this, and does not question his misfort
J.P.
I really enjoyed the author's Heritage Universe series, so I thought I'd give this a try. Even though this was written in 1998, it reads like a 1950s YA novel. Although the scientific details are not outdated, nor are they tremendously exciting either. You can tell Charles Sheffield was into astronomy as he spends time on the color of a nebula and that he was a physicist as he explains ideas using graphs.
It doesn't liven up the book however, and as the story revolves around the characters they c
Thomas
Another Sheffieldian adventure! This time a young adult novel that doesn't suffer a bit from the structures of that genre, a tale of a fish out of water who through the rigors of asventure discovers a bit more about himself. Fast placed and inventive.
Gendou
Interesting but short, and it ends too quickly.
I really liked the imagery of the Sounders, but I wanted to learn more about them.
Jeff was emo and not very likeable to me.
Alex Smith
Very obviously a riff on Heinlein's junior novels, but like its influences, a light, enjoyable read.
Aaron
Slow starter but overall a good late night read,
Brett
Science Fiction
Valery
Valery marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Steve Bowman
Steve Bowman marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sonny Lee
Sonny Lee marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Colten
Colten marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Jim Pike
Jim Pike marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Brandy
Brandy added it
Jan 03, 2015
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Ebook
Ebook marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...

Jupiter (4 books)
  • Higher Education
  • The Billion Dollar Boy
  • Putting Up Roots
Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1) Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1) Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1) Tomorrow and Tomorrow Divergence (Heritage Universe 2)

“Jeff wished he were a computer himself. It sounded so calm and certain. He, as usual, was terrified.” 0 likes